Author Topic: What would you tell your 28 year old self if you could go back in time?  (Read 17917 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: What would you tell your 28 year old self if you could go back in time?
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »
I was always an investor, even when I was a kid. My problem was that I didn't save much. I spent almost everything I earned. ...

I cannot reconcile the statements above.

jgoody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »
Buy a duplex or a triplex that has acceptable cash flow for your first "house".  You only have to live in it for 2-3 years and that will be a lot harder to do once you have children.

You only have to live in it for a year.  The next day after day 365, you could technically close on another house!

Even better!  Though my 28 -> 29 year old self probably wouldn't be able to afford to close on another house the very following year ;-)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »
What I would tell my 18 year old self:

1. ChemE's make more money than Chemists for often the same work . . . .so major in Engineering and Profit $$$!
2. Get custom orthotics for your shoes now before it is too late.
3. Put some of that piddly co-op paycheck in a Roth IRA like Wendi said . . . come on, you know she's your smartest friend. Just ask her how to set it up.

What I would tell my 28 year old self:

1. Don't buy that giant house. Seriously, just stay in the townhouse.
2. Max the 401K. Max the Roth. Profit $$$!
3. Take the job in Europe for a couple of years. Your other half will figure it out.
4. Have kids now . . . it's never a good time, and you are not getting any younger.
5. Feet feeling like raw hamburger meat at the end of tournaments? Why don't you have those custom orthotics yet!?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2017, 04:40:08 PM »
learn to cook

will save you big bucks and years of bad food and weight gain

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »
18 year old self:

1. Relax a little. Nothing you're doing right now matters long-term. There's no reason to be so stressed.

28 year old self:

1. Visit your father. He's going to die this year.

2. Take the money and run. I had the opportunity to sell some stock in a closely-held corporation and didn't take it. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2017, 06:03:21 PM »
I'm 30.

To 18 year old self:

- You will figure it out. No one else has it figured out either, most of your friends will not end up doing what they confidently say they will do.
- Keep doing what you love for fun.
- Think about career viability when choosing a major, not only in terms of income but lifestyle. What do you want your day to look like? How much flexibility or structure do you want?
- You're smart to think about saving and investing now, your friends are wrong and in ten years you will indeed be way better off than they are.
- You can't change another person, don't try.
- It's ok to want something that's not what you initially thought you wanted. It's ok to change your mind.
- Keep your eyes on your own paper. If you're dissecting other people you probably need to focus inward. The things you hate in other people are usually things you hate in yourself.
- You have plenty of time to travel, stop freaking out about it. You will appreciate it so much more than most people, and when you finally go you'll be with the love of your life and it will be amazing.
- You are good enough to be competitive, stop underestimating yourself.
- Just because a situation makes you feel the way a past situation did does not mean it's the same thing.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:09:16 PM by rdaneel0 »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2017, 06:42:28 PM »
Posting to follow! I've been keeping up with it, but I want it showing up in my unread replies. Currently 28, so very applicable =)

I guess to my 18 year old self I would mainly say:
-Don't put up with your mom's crap.
-Don't keep putting up with Boyfriend's crap. Leave him now. 5 years is way too long.
-Do your goddamn PT exercises and wear your retainer. Even if you're not under their care anymore, you should carry on with their interventions.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2017, 06:45:59 PM »
I was always an investor, even when I was a kid. My problem was that I didn't save much. I spent almost everything I earned. ...

All gains were quickly realized and then spent. Investment income doesn't have to be saved.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2017, 07:37:57 PM »
Make dh go to the dentist? That would have been verrry good in the long run.

Otherwise - I seriously have no regrets.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »
What I would tell my 28 year old self:
5. Feet feeling like raw hamburger meat at the end of tournaments? Why don't you have those custom orthotics yet!?

I actually did spend big bucks on custom orthotics right around that age. They turned out to be made wrong, or something - they cut through my shoes and put multiple holes in them, totally ruining them in a matter of weeks. The orthotics manufacturer wouldn't return my calls or e-mails so I never got a refund. Didn't get another set for 10 years and by then it was too late. Now I daydream about amputation because it seems like not having feet would hurt less than having them...

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2017, 01:04:31 AM »
Now I daydream about amputation because it seems like not having feet would hurt less than having them...

:/ I'm so sorry, that sounds horrendous.

I have to say, I'm a little bit envious of everyone who's posted in this thread who only seem to have regrets about improving their investments or similar.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:06:02 AM by Astatine »

bluemarie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2017, 01:12:01 AM »
18:
  • There's no need to be so self-conscious.  Everyone else is too busy with their own shit to care very much about whatever you're convinced was so awkward.  And anyway, if someone likes you, a little awkwardness won't change their mind.
  • I know it's satisfying to see numbers in a bank account go up but you should put those little paychecks literally anywhere else.  Investing doesn't have to be complicated and you don't have to have $100,000 to get started.
  • College may seem big and scary but none of the other freshmen have any more idea what's going on than you do.  Don't be intimidated.  You got accepted just like they did; you can figure it out.
  • Participate in everything that seems interesting or a good opportunity.
  • Trust your instincts about that guy.

28:
  • As the saying goes, you're the average of the five people you spend the most time with.  Consider whether it may be time to make some changes on that front.
  • People are going to be increasingly confused about why you're not on Facebook.  Be okay with that.
  • Start researching apartment prices before you think you're ready to buy.  You might be able to swing it sooner than you think, and each year you wait will cost you.
  • In case you didn't listen at 18, NOW can you please get your cash out of your bank account and into the market?

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
I would tell my 28yr old self the winning powerball numbers for the year I turned 29 and several books to read in the meantime.

That should be enough.

Don’t think that would have helped me. I didn’t know anything about money at that age. Have you read about the people who lose all their lottery money and end up depressed or dead? I would have lived well for a couple years, spoiled everyone and blown it, without developing myself in any significant way. Nah, pass, would not want the easy way, it’s fool’s gold.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2017, 10:19:03 AM »
Don't worry so much, you are on the correct path.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2017, 10:34:17 AM »
LBYM, security is an illusion, focus on the moment.

makinbutter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »
mid 30s checking in - not quite FIREd yet but i'll be outta the game for sure in the next few years before 40.  this shit works, who knew.  the below advice goes for 18 and 28 year old me (and you)

personal life:

1) not all relationships are meant to last - after healthy discernment, cut the cords on some of them
2) nurture the friendships that you do choose to keep
3) stop giving two shits what other people think

money:
1) keep costs low on investing (vanguard ftw)
2) keep lifestyle inflation low
3) invest the difference
4) be a tireless advocate for your own promotion/bonuses/etc., nobody else will do it for you and there are material benefits to getting promoted sooner ($$$ = earlier freedom)
5) treat most $ decisions rationally and not emotionally.  it's just dollars in the bank, you can always earn more of them later

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2017, 04:02:43 PM »
Now I daydream about amputation because it seems like not having feet would hurt less than having them...

:/ I'm so sorry, that sounds horrendous.

I have to say, I'm a little bit envious of everyone who's posted in this thread who only seem to have regrets about improving their investments or similar.

It's a money forum. Not everyone is comfortable sharing their personal life.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2017, 05:20:55 PM »

All gains were quickly realized and then spent. Investment income doesn't have to be saved.

Neither, I didn't realize the gains for about 30 years, when I bought my house. I didn't save much, but when I did (tax refunds, etc), I put it into the fund.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2017, 06:58:57 PM »
I would say, "Step back and have patience with those you love and who love you.  Always remember that they will not be here forever."

I certainly wish I could go back to 28 and see some of those who are no longer with us.  I would try and follow my own advice.

This money thing is way in the background vs the people thing.

A mom

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2017, 08:09:59 PM »
Be compassionate and judge less. You never know what someone else is going through or how their brain may be wired differently than yours.

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »
Financial advice here.  Not for myself but geared towards the 28 year old who has income and wants a better financial future:
1. Save as much as you can, as often as you can.  Try to increase your income if possible.
2. Use low cost index funds (make sure to diversify to international and small/mid cap too) if you feel unable or unmotivated to follow the advice below.  These will work good enough over time.
3. If you want better,  Read every damn book/website on investing you can get your hands on. Especially read the following: Poor Charlie’s Almanac, Contrarian investing strategies, The Warren Buffett Way, One up on Wall Street, The Five Rules for Sucessful Stock Investing, every Berkshire Hathaway annual shareholder letter, etc.  I’d purchase those and mark them up.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:05:53 PM by Pylortes »

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2017, 05:12:18 AM »
HAVE CONFIDENCE!  In your brains, looks, studied, whatever.  Don’t doubt yourself.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2017, 08:36:56 AM »
1) Don't skimp on dental care.  The generic mouthguard I purchased for $10 in my 20s, to help my chronic teeth grinding was too small for my mouth and caused my jaw to shift, which resulted in $5k worth of braces in my 30s.  I wish I'd spent the $200 on a custom mouth guard.

2) Have regular medical checkups.  I had my first pre-cancerous mole removed at 18. 

3) Know who you are and what your values are, and be true to yourself, always.  If you make decisions according to your values, you won't have many regrets...even if the outcome isn't what you originally wanted.  You also spend a lot less time trying to control outcomes, which is crazy making.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »
When I was 28 I was very frugal.That girl had nothing to learn from my 63 year old self, about money snyway. I have a few things to say to the 50 and 55 year old, however! Having more assets and financial choices later in life can result in some stupid vhoices.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »
"Enjoy life and splurge occasionally a bit more or plan to retire earlier with less (my plan was to FIRE at 50 with quite high NW).  You are saving so much, you may be over saving relative to your plan. You can live very well on less than $200k/yr."

That, and 'take a summer in Europe having fun before starting work'.  I was in a big hurry to start making money in my early 20s and went straight to work on graduating, as well as worked while studying.  Easily could have taken a summer or year off sometime early on.

The 24 year old me went to Europe on a shoestring for six weeks beofre starting grad school. Used up most of my savings. No regrets.

Marley09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2017, 11:26:19 AM »
You don't realize it yet, but you're too enmeshed with your parents. It's OK to live your life based on what YOU want, not what would please them. It's OK not to tell them everything. Start now because if you wait until you're in your 40s it's going to be even harder to try and separate yourself.

This really hit home for me...I am still very enmeshed at 32 and am now trying to tell myself to live my life based on what I want and my goals.

What I would tell myself (I have always been fairly frugal): College and First Job timeframe, 18-23 years old 

1. Even though the scale does not say the number you want: you are thin and beautiful, strong and healthy.  You will look back after kids and wish you could be that thin and strong again.
2. Live up to your own values; having a closet full of lilly pulizter dresses and jewelry from Tiffany's doesn't make anyone a better person or even worth looking up to.
3. Travel more (it is sooo much harder with kids)
4. Build better relationships with friends and then nurture those friendships
5. Don't listen to your father when he tells you not to put money in the 401k at your first job
6. Contribute to max 401k and Roth IRA...why do you need all of that money in your savings account not doing anything for you??
7. Invest the money you save monthly for "rent" while living at home
8. At work, know your worth and don't feel guilty about pushing for promotions, raises, etc. 
9. Be more adventurous and enjoy life!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2017, 11:47:11 AM »
Oh I know, I would tell my 28 year old self "throughout your life you will be confident you do not want children, and guess what? You are right! You will have no regrets about not having children. You will have a couple of instances of curiosity about children (around age 40) and grandchildren (around age 60) but these are fleeting thoughts. No regrets!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:49:18 AM by iris lily »

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2017, 11:00:26 AM »
Every year you will get hit with about $3k-$5k of unexpected expenses. Therefore it's not that unexpected so put $$ aside every month so you aren't screaming with pain every time this rolls around. Also, when you finally purchase a house you need to have an emergency account for the inevitable home repairs you are going to encounter after living there. Don't blow everything on the down payment.

TheCatWhisperer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2017, 09:48:35 PM »
Great thread.

1. Don't be afraid to be vulnerable and show love for the people you care about. It doesn't mean you're weak..in fact, quite the opposite.
2. Buying a bunch of stuff won't make you happy.
3. Set boundaries on your time, body, emotions, and alcohol consumption
4. Even though your parents didn't teach you shit about money, you are going to figure this out. Trust yourself.
5. A traditional savings account is not where you put your extra money. This is what Vanguard is for.
6. You will enjoy your 30s more than your 20s!!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »
Short Equifax.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2017, 10:42:01 PM »
A lot of the effort you make now, to improve yourself, save money, build your career, create great memories with friends, and pursue what you really want will pay off later.  Your 30s will have lots of happiness.

Also, short Equifax.  ;)

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2017, 04:40:10 AM »
Never buy a car new !!

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
I am sure others mentioned this but here I go.

In no particular order:

- Exercise/practice. I am 39 now, 5 foot 11 and I can still touch the rim - without any real targeted exercise/practice. I can only imagine what I could have done with targeted practice and real effort...
- It is never too late to start something. For this I have to do something I have in mind and then I will come back with the example :P.
- Take risks when needed, wait when needed. Did not buy Amazon at 35 USD. Sold Amazon at 150, 200 USd... EDIT: I had enough information to make me understand I should have done that. I even talked with my wife about buying at 35 :).
- Do not live in the past - I do not stress about the things above - although if I would have done the "correct" thing now I would have around 1.5 million USD :).
- Be grateful of what you have: I have a great family and am still in good enough health. And although I made some mistakes and started only 2.5 years ago to save some money I am already at 200k USD net worth.
- Get lucky: I think I am a very lucky person. Everytime I focused on a goal and got motivated I got it.

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2017, 08:24:59 AM »
33 here - To my 28 y/o self: Sometimes, when you're not happy in a relationship, realize you're at least an equal contributor to the situation.  Force yourself to discuss your feelings and needs with your SO.

Get help for depression, anxiety, and talk through your issues with a pro. You're not too busy and overwhelmed to figure out how to use your insurance!

Get a cheaper apartment. Don't spend down your savings to allow the both of you to live just beyond your means.

Work more 40 hr wks. All that time you wasted with didn't enrich your life, and you pissed away savings and vacation opportunities because you were too broke!

Disagreements resulting from her poor sense of the value of money were something you should have attempted to resolve directly, not passive aggressively

To my 18 y/o self: Even if you don't think you can't save, find $20/wk to invest. Your network would be doubled in 2017! 

Get diagnosed for ADD, manage it, and watch your horizons expand!

To my 33 y/o self - Sit at home less, forge new friendships, let go and realize you only get so many chances, so make them count.

One last edit - to my 18 y/o self - regrettably, you will have to learn most of this the hard way as understanding often only comes with having the experience and living with the consequences!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:43:27 PM by cl_noll »

Dmy0013

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »
Well I'm only 30 but my advice would be as follows.

To the 28 year old me.

Your about to be a dad in 6 months, all of your priorities in life are about to change.  Your view on life is about to change.
Stop stressing out about work and money - as mentioned above your view on all of this is about to change.
Tell your mom your upset with her, but you forgive her (still haven't done this)
"behind every great man there is a great woman" could not be more true, put in more effort to let your wife know this.
That job you really enjoy but are about to quit because you really dislike your boss.  Don't quit, he is going to get fired two days after you quit.
Stop sitting on idle cash, throw it into an ETF or something and be done with it.
Don't try and time the housing market, its like every other market in life chances are your gonna time it wrong...

To the 18 Year old me
Stop smoking immediately
Your about to become a border line alcoholic - seek help
Don't work stupid hours at a stupid job just to blow all your money on stupid stuff - work a normal job with normal hours and invest time into friendships.
That new job your gonna take in a year and spend the next 8 years stressing out about doing everything perfect and being the best person in the company.  Its going to go through a hostile takeover and your going to end up with a lot of health issues from stress and strain on your relationships and quit.  So stop worrying about being the best at a job your going to leave.
Don't ever lie to yourself and think you understand how money works, how investing works.  Your not a professional investor, put your money in something that is easy to manage and be done with it.
Invest time in friendships

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2017, 12:20:49 PM »
Don't let your company psych you out. They will not promote you if you finish your degree, but someone else will. Finish your degree while you don't have kids. Your future success will be your reward. Then you can rub their face in it.

purple monkey

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2017, 02:01:01 PM »
learn to cook

will save you big bucks and years of bad food and weight gain

+1

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2017, 04:33:59 PM »

In your 40's you will go through the most difficult thing you have ever faced and it will rock you to the very core.  Prepare every way possible.

Sorry to hear it - any specifics you'd like to share?

To 28 year old me
Financial: You've got a good sense with money, stop trying to do things to 'fit in/interact' with those who don't.

Health: Routines are important, particularly with physical activity. Failure to keep a routine results in injury and loss of productivity.

Relationships: Don't keep putting effort into relationships that aren't reciprocated. There exists a "sunk cost" fallacy for relationships, too. 

Culture: The last season of Lost! will ruin the entire series and make you disappointed that you 'lost' so much time watching the series in the first place.  Ironic, no? Go hiking instead.

Work-related:  Learn big-data management and R now.

In general (and the best advice I've gotten recently): Decide to do things you want to do with people you like & respect in places you want to live.

My son got cancer last year.  He is currently 14, 13 at diagnosis.  My son was not outwardly sick when he was diagnosed, so it was very shocking.   Childhood cancer is like a bomb going off in your life.  I have had friends die of cancer, I have had a parent with cancer - neither one came remotely close to this. 

I am pleased to report he is doing pretty well, cancer free, and is gradually integrating back into a normal life.  DH and I are slowly picking up the pieces as well. 

montgomery212

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2017, 08:20:59 PM »
So much stuff -- mid-30s myself and this is what the last decade has taught me:

(i) If there are options, take the job requiring long hours/harder work/more travel/more stress (assuming it pays more of course) or if you're hourly, work as much overtime as you can get in your 20s. Don't mommy or daddy track your career until and unless you really need to. Don't worry about what'll happen when you burn out. Reality is you will never have more energy than you do in your 20s. You will only grow more tired in your 30s (and I assume 40s-50s). So endeavor do take on the higher paying harder jobs right up front, make your money upfront and then if/when you need or want to cut back, you can take than 9-5 clocking in/clocking out job and still be on a good road with savings, down payments etc.

(ii) Max out the 401k to 18k starting day 1 (or as close as you can get).

(iii) After the 401k (and IRA if you qualify) are maxed out, start a brokerage account as soon as you can. I didn't really start investing until 32-33 -- and that was only because I was seeing that my 401k was growing month after month, so I figured why not replicate that in an investment account that is NOT specifically for retirement -- that I can tap into for life expenses before age 65. I wish I had started at 28. And treat it just like a 401k -- put in a specified $ amount into indices/funds every pay period/month. It won't grow if you throw in a few thousand here and there and forget about it.

(iv) Have some fun and make some "real" friends. Maybe this is just me but around 28 is when I started to lose touch with college/law school friends -- some due to distance, some bc people realized that we were just friends bc we had been in the same class. And my high school friends -- those faded away before bc by 28 most were married with 2 kids living in the same small town where we grew up working whatever jobs were available and couldn't/didn't want to relate to a single female who was a big city lawyer at 28 who worked all the time etc. So pick up a few friends at this age -- they likely have similar life/professional goals so these ones may stick in your life.

(v) Maybe not so much at 28 (though if you can - great), try to retain some aspects of college/grad school living if you can even if you've graduated into a big time job where you don't need to live in a studio apartment or whatever. If you can extend that type of living for an additional few years, you will be that much further ahead financially - compared to if you get yourself the nicest luxury apartment in the best neighborhood; and if you're doing #1 -- you aren't going to be home a ton anyway.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2017, 10:26:35 PM »
You're about to have way more money than before. Don't fritter it away. Pay off the student loans and save up for a decent down payment. Let your husband whine about the size of the townhouse for a bit longer.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2017, 10:32:36 PM »
For those Mustachians older than me, curious what you would tell your 28 year old self (AKA me today!)? This could be both financial or not. Curious to see your responses.

Buy 4 single family homes in Vancouver 20 years ago.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »
For those Mustachians older than me, curious what you would tell your 28 year old self (AKA me today!)? This could be both financial or not. Curious to see your responses.

Buy 4 single family homes in Vancouver 20 years ago.

Ack.  I was in that market 20 years ago, and can tell you that I moved to Calgary to buy a home because I saw a DINK 2 income, engineering couple with about 8-10 years of experience -- struggle to buy a East Van special near commercial drive, with major renovations needed, and need a basement suite to make it work.   Truly, no maintenance on the place in 30 years.

$385k plus immediate $$$ renos needed....  seems low but their combined incomes were likely $90k/yr, so salaries were low, too.   Interest rates were 6.5%.

This seems like no brainer advice to the 28 year old you... but you need the money to make it happen.e

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2017, 11:16:34 AM »
This seems like no brainer advice to the 28 year old you... but you need the money to make it happen.

For sure. I was making over $100K/y in 1997 single with no debt so I could have started the ball rolling with one property and then built up to 4 as time went on. The S&P was at ~800 in 1997 so that would be a good option as well, but it would be much easier to leverage my money with rental houses.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »
I would like to tell my 28 year old self how much you need to retire. I had no idea and thought we needed multiple million dollars to early retire.
I would also have warned me to not fall for buying the clown house we live in now. That was you because we had saved so much that it as possible to buy an expensive house. It was not smart.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!