Author Topic: What would you tell your 28 year old self if you could go back in time?  (Read 17914 times)

sdt1890

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Have a friend that is a teacher preparing to teach introductory finance/business class at the high school level and he asked me a similar question, except for an 18 year old self, as I have been out of high school 10 years now.

For those Mustachians older than me, curious what you would tell your 28 year old self (AKA me today!)? This could be both financial or not. Curious to see your responses.

forumname123

• Stubble
Re: What would you tell your 28 year old self if you could go back in time?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
I'm not far enough into the future to help (31), but I'd love to hear what people have to say.

I didn't start getting into investing until I was 29 though, so for anyone who hasn't started that would be my only advice. Better to start at 28 than 38.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:15:37 PM »
INVEST that money!! And understand the shockingly simple math to early retirement.

I learned about the magic of compound interest by my late teens. So we thought we were good saving 10-20% and socking it away in a low cost mutual fund. Missed out on about 10+ years of compound interest not saving a greater percentage of our income.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

sdt1890

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:18:04 PM »
Have a friend that is a teacher preparing to teach introductory finance/business class at the high school level and he asked me a similar question, except for an 18 year old self, as I have been out of high school 10 years now.

For those Mustachians older than me, curious what you would tell your 28 year old self (AKA me today!)? This could be both financial or not. Curious to see your responses.

Also, feel free to chime in on the 18 year old self if you want. I sent my friend the jlcollins stock series and told him, of all the books I have read over the year, this was hands down the best... stock picking is a waste of time and I wish I would have just put aside excess capital at a young age and invested directly into low cost index funds. KISS method for the win!

One other piece of advice I was given when I first got out of college from a colleague was to always evaluate a situation and consider what is the other person's incentive? Why are they doing what they are doing? A few examples of situations I have seen in the last few years with people ... 1) wealth advisors are not your "friends", they are salesman ... 2) acquaintances that work at car dealerships are not your "buddy", they are a salesman.

A few other things I would tell my 18 year old self which I am glad to say I did not do this, but don't buy an expensive car ... spend your $ on fun experiences, you'll never regret taking fun small trips with your friends, but you will regret having a large car payment every month.

This seemed obvious to me at 18, but became even more apparent post college. Don't major in some random degree that has no career trajectory or earnings potential. I see people I went to high school with that took out substantial debt for a worthless degree and that debt is now holding them down and they can't get a job that will allow them to dig out of the financial mess.

Don't have kids or get married earlier than ... to avoid some backlash here, I'll just say, before you are ready, but not at a young age ... I've seen 4 marriages start at 21 and 22 years old, ALL 4 are now divorced (all but one only lasted <3 years) ... nobody knows what the hell they are doing at 22, the last thing you should be doing is making major life decisions.

Ok, back on topic to 28 and on, looking forward to hearing from the members of the forum.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »
I'm in my mid 40's now. Not directly related to money but definitely related to quality of life:

1) Get thee into therapy asap and keep going regardless - there is a whole bunch of crap you're in utter denial about
2) Split up with partner, it's really not a healthy relationship
3) Cut all ties with all family members, life will be oh so much better
4) Reach out to your old school friends, they still care about you

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 10:25:13 PM »
I'd tell myself to go to the doctor a lot earlier for various pains/injuries. I have a high tolerance for pain and always blew things off. "I'm young, it'll heal, it's no big deal." Turned out some of them were pretty serious and some kinds of damage can't be repaired :-(  I'd give away all my money to fix that stuff.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 11:39:04 PM »
I would tell myself that it will get better, it will really get better.

It was one of my worst years with a break up, moving back to parents and trying to find a job.

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 11:48:17 PM »
Bizarre enough, I would not make any comment about money, a 28 years old has probably heard all this from his parents... bla bla bla... prepare for your future... bla bla bla... you will regret this in your future... bla bla bla

Most 28 years old I know (especially males) are immature until they have kids when the life punch them in the face.

1/ At 28, your career usually start to become serious stuff, so my first advice would be to stay true to your self, find this balance and what you re REALLY made for. As early comment said, therapy might help
2/ Pushing the one above even more, don't forget to be happy. I found that at the end of 20's this is when life starts to become harder, you have usually less support from your parents, you're free now but with a different level of responsibility. Embrace that and love the moment
3/ You will find who your true friends are now most likely. Pay attention and stay close to them. Don't let work/family/distance get across. Wait too important. You can worry about money later but not friendship

pk_aeryn

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 11:50:36 PM »
I would have told myself "your income is high enough you should be maxing out your 401k versus putting that same money in taxable conservative mutual funds" *sigh* *regrets*

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 12:09:40 AM »
"I know you're only just married, but divorce your husband now. It's OK to be a single parent with one child. Trust me, he's going to change, and not for the better. And then work no more than you have to until your child grows up."

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 12:14:57 AM »
"I know you're only just married, but divorce your husband now. It's OK to be a single parent with one child. Trust me, he's going to change, and not for the better. And then work no more than you have to until your child grows up."

Very funny...

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 12:15:17 AM »
I'd tell myself "Don't marry him!"  That guy who waffled a bit over marrying me, went on to have an affair, then another, then left at the 24 year mark in a blaze of midlife glory.

Don't settle for someone who doesn't think you're awesome just the way you are, no matter how much you "love" them.

Otherwise, my 28 year old self made pretty good decisions.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 12:29:05 AM »

Very funny...

? I don't get it.

triangle

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 02:18:03 AM »
Take the money that you were going to spend on the new car (surely you have saved 20-30K cash for that already right? lol) and instead of buying the car invest it.  Then buy with a beater car or multiple beaters over the course of the next 10 years.  Only buying a new car with the profits generated by that first "new car stash" many years later. Then repeat every 10-12 years over your lifetime as needed.

Point being that instead of buying a car on credit and paying for the equivalent of 2 cars (due to interest payments) and repeating that financial disaster every decade. Buy only one car (the initial savings stash) and let that pay for all your cars (transportation) for the rest of your life. 

Interest rates have fallen and investment returns are variable so the results are not quite the same in 2017 as it was some years before, but the mental picture is that instead of buying 10 cars over your lifetime (1 car every decade for 10 years at a high interest rate so nearly paying for 2 cars each time) buy only 1 virtual car investment at 28, and let that pay you back with 4 new cars over your lifetime.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:20:27 AM by triangle »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 02:38:12 AM »
Wise words from you all, especially about health. Something we take for granted while we have it.
-------
43-year-old me to younger me:

Do: continue to invest in your art career.
Don't: mix up art research with extended holidays.

Do: dump that guy, keep it that way.
Don't: worry, life will turn out better than you ever imagined. Just keep making the work, live frugally, create and follow every opportunity that comes your way.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 05:00:12 AM »
I love this type of thread, so interesting and personal.

I'd say have confidence  in yourself, and be more strategic about life, start planning a career path that fulfils or delivers money, and stop looking for the holy grail that does both.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:43 AM »
1. Lots of sex with lots of people won’t fill that hole, get therapy
2. Your body isn’t invulnerable, protect your knees, back and teeth
3. Travel the world, be kind, respectful and learn
4. Don’t buy crap or try to compete with others
5. Don’t use money or gifts to try and buy respect or affection
6. Set up automatic deposits, half of your money into Vanguard index funds, don’t make it a gamble or game, set & forget
7. Spend quality time with all the older people who have loved you dearly
8. Don’t be afraid of math or finances, learn as much as you can
9. Be a bigger champion for women and ethnic and sexual minorities
10. Test your sperm/eggs—freeze some just in case, but only have kids when you’re really ready for them

BallerOnABudget

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 07:41:40 AM »
Stop comparing yourself to everyone - it's a total waste of time. Max out that 401k immediately. Have family and friends donate to kids' college funds instead of giving them mountains of shitty plastic toys every year. Shop around on insurance. Drop cable. Have [good friend] get his heart checked before January 2012. Get in better shape.

Alternatively:
1. Save every dime for the next four years.
2. Sell the house to free up cash.
3. Put it all on Leicester City to win the EPL championship.
4. Enjoy your last 10 months of employment.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 08:29:32 AM »
1. Lots of sex with lots of people won’t fill that hole, get therapy
2. Your body isn’t invulnerable, protect your knees, back and teeth
3. Travel the world, be kind, respectful and learn
4. Don’t buy crap or try to compete with others
5. Don’t use money or gifts to try and buy respect or affection
6. Set up automatic deposits, half of your money into Vanguard index funds, don’t make it a gamble or game, set & forget
7. Spend quality time with all the older people who have loved you dearly
8. Don’t be afraid of math or finances, learn as much as you can
9. Be a bigger champion for women and ethnic and sexual minorities
10. Test your sperm/eggs—freeze some just in case, but only have kids when you’re really ready for them

Oh ya, especially #2.
And #4 as well, re. don't buy crap.  We just sold all our CDs and got maybe $130 for them ... about 200 CDs, many of which cost $15 each back in the day.  Stuff that seemed soooo important back them is almost totally irrelevant now.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 08:33:56 AM »
1.  Don't marry or partner with someone "just to be married/partnered".
2.  If you are in an unhappy relationship, fix it or be done with it.
3.  Fruits, vegetables, and exercise are the foundation of human capital as is following up with your medical professionals.
4.  Before you buy something major, ask yourself, "Will I still enjoy this purchase 5 or 10 years from now" or will it be old, tired and worn out?
5.  Invest 50% (or more) of take home pay.  By the time you are 40, you will have the world "by the baXXs"!
6.  Math ahead of emotion.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 08:44:40 AM »
Great stuff here!  I'm 41.

@ 18
Meditate.
Stay away from drugs and watch your drinking.
Common sense (like getting enough sleep, eating right, exercising, etc.) applies to you, too.
Consider getting a more practical degree (though my English lit degree worked out fine).
Don't pick stocks or active funds, just invest in index funds.

@ 28
Go to AA (I did @29).
Don't worry about relationships until you've gotten sober.
Find a teacher and study the dharma (I did @37).
Working 40 hours a week isn't so bad (I avoided / dreaded it until @31 and it was fine).
Whatever has to happen, let it happen.

Fundamentally, though, I don't really think telling my 18 or 28 year old self anything would make much difference.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »
I would tell my 28 year old self to not succumb to lifestyle inflation in a few years when our income levels really increase, max out 401ks now, live frugally now. If I'd started that at 28 instead of at 38 I'd be retired already!

Oh, and I'd have told myself to try yoga right away instead of waiting until I turn 37. It's been SO good for me. And cut out MSG since that's what is your biggest migraine trigger, although it will take YEARS to discover that...but those are the non-financial things!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 10:07:35 AM »
Index funds! At that age I was too intimidated by all the investment choices and details, so I mostly did set & forget, but with a bad mix of funds. Knew nothing about expense ratios, or that index funds could compete with the hotshot stock-gurus, so I was "diversified" into a bunch of actively-managed funds that ate most of my gains in fees and unreliable performance.

I also didn't save enough back then, even though my core expenses should have been very low (single, LCoL, no pets, etc.). No idea where all of that extra money went (well, aside from the huge pile of electronic junk that was accumulating in my spare room in those days).

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 11:28:27 AM »
1. Don't sell your first house.  Keep it and live in it when you move back to Jacksonville (two more times).  That will save you doing a short-sale on a house you could barely afford when you bought at the height of the market.

2. Max out IRAs and TSP as soon as it is offered to the military.

3. Buy your MIL's home when she down-sizes.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 11:29:46 AM »
Yeah, all that stuff that the guy you just married is saying about 'I know I'm bad with money but I want to change, will you help me do better?' It's bullshit. It's just words. He literally does not have even ONE positive item on his credit report and that will not change. By the time you finally wise up and leave, he'll be refusing to contribute anything to household expenses at all. Get out now.

That job's toxic and the pay is CRIMINALLY low. It's OK to leave. You don't have to accept poor treatment and poor pay just because the job lets you write for a living.

Put money in your damn 401k (after first finding a job with decent pay so that it's no longer literally a choice between contributing to 401k and eating).

You don't realize it yet, but you're too enmeshed with your parents. It's OK to live your life based on what YOU want, not what would please them. It's OK not to tell them everything. Start now because if you wait until you're in your 40s it's going to be even harder to try and separate yourself.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 12:51:10 PM »
I am 26 and taking this all in!!!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »
Avoid Car loans.   Get the smallest loan possible and pay it off fast for your first car, then pay cash.
Move into neighborhoods where your income is likely the top 20% for the area, to avoid lifestyle creep without willpower.

Save for retirement every year, and save with most of every bonus instead of spending.

PUT SOME OF YOUR TAX RETURN BACK INTO RETIREMENT FUNDS! - the tax credit on RRSP/ 401k is just defferred tax that you will have to pay back one day!    I used to spend it all on my July Property Taxes, various insurance, and then take $1-2k for spending.  If only I had rolled half of it back into retirement funds each year.   because...

Don't be afraid of over contributing to your RRSP !!   There are many ways to get the money back before age 65 if you want, and you won't be locked into high retirement taxes after all.

-- surprisingly, avoiding the timeshare purchase, while definitely a poor decision, is not on this list of advice because the decision at the time was ok, if spendypants expensive, it was life that caused it to be a problem after.--

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 02:07:25 PM »
Don't worry, life will be awesome.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
Go to see your favourite music acts now: they will die young and you will forever regret not seeing them live.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
Show more compassion to your mum. You'll regret all those short weekends pretty fucking soon Sammie, and it will be too late to ask forgiveness.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »
- Don't buy any new cars, ever
- Don't burn money doing stupid car modifications
- Max out your 401k/ IRA/ any other tax-advantaged savings

terrifictim

• Stubble
    • Case Study
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2017, 02:38:51 PM »
Hi,

I'm 29 and this is an awesome post! I'm thankful for places like this forum where I can get responsible advice that doesn't feel like I'm being lectured by my parents. I wish more of my generation were willing to listen.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2017, 02:47:56 PM »
I'd like to think I could tell my 28 year old self (I'm 38 now) something to avoid the divorce I'm currently going through, but I'm just not sure what I'd say.  Maybe something about how women are more into feelings than men and need you to continually remind them of how you feel about them?  Or don't let your work life impact your home life (which seems impossible)?  I dunno.  Life is pretty confusing to me right now.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2017, 05:19:50 PM »
Your 30's will be better than your 20's. 

In your 40's you will go through the most difficult thing you have ever faced and it will rock you to the very core.  Prepare every way possible. 

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »
I'd like to think I could tell my 28 year old self (I'm 38 now) something to avoid the divorce I'm currently going through, but I'm just not sure what I'd say.  Maybe something about how women are more into feelings than men and need you to continually remind them of how you feel about them?  Or don't let your work life impact your home life (which seems impossible)?  I dunno.  Life is pretty confusing to me right now.

Maybe, men: go into therapy, you have issues, work through them; learn how to communicate better; work on your emotional intelligence; be present in the home and your relationship and help out with any task you think is women’s work?

WoodSpinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »
So I am 58 and have a few things to say to my 28 year old self...

• Relax, you will find true love, stop trying so hard.
  • Don’t sell that Apple Stock—they aren’t going bankrupt
  • Your plan to work a year and travel a year is a good one, keep it up.
  • Learn how to influence others to make your most excellent ideas a reality. The lone-coder approach won’t work well for you.
  • Stop arguing and start LISTENING it ain’t working so well.
  • Smoking so much POT isn’t helping you! It’s just enabling you too avoid dealing with your shit!
  • Keep working hard, keep saving, spend on what’s really important
  • Appreciate your Mom and Dad more, listen to their stories. It’s going to suck when they are gone
  • Keep your sense of Self and your sense of Humor! It will see you through the hard times.
  • Keep finding the silver-lining in life’s challenges, be calm while others panic, focus your thinking to find a solution others have missed.
  • In 30 years you will be ready to retire, be financially secure, and be poised for amazing adventures
  • Most of all, take the leap of faith—Love Fiercely and Passionately. Focus on building strong connections. Both of your wives ( I am a widower) will love you for it.

My 28 year-old self did all right—who would have thought...

WoodSpinner

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2017, 06:49:09 PM »
Oh ya, especially #2.
And #4 as well, re. don't buy crap.  We just sold all our CDs and got maybe $130 for them ... about 200 CDs, many of which cost $15 each back in the day.  Stuff that seemed soooo important back them is almost totally irrelevant now.

Did you not enjoy listening to the CDs?  I am not a big music person but the dozen or so Tapes/CDs/Itunes that I've purchased I think I got my money's worth if I were to break down the cost to price/hour that I listened to them.  It would have been like 5-10 cents a hour which was more than worth it for the enjoyment I got out of them.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2017, 07:48:08 PM »
“Divorce your husband now. This relationship is not worth any more effort.”

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2017, 09:38:09 PM »
Show more compassion to your mum. You'll regret all those short weekends pretty fucking soon Sammie, and it will be too late to ask forgiveness.

This made me cry. Like, hard. Like, sobs that woke my dog.

Which means: Thank You, Sam.

-----------------

Mine:
Floss your teeth
Love your folks
Invest your damn money now you dummy! Do the math and ignore the heart!

surfhb

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »
Don't listen to your parents!   Their advice is wrong....buy that house in Orange County, Ca. because its only $159K.   That home is $700K now.

Save your money
Stop smoking
Eat right
Take risks

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2017, 12:42:23 AM »
Not quite 10 years ago for me:

Have children now. Waiting is a huge mistake.

Take time off work after your stillbirth.

Invest instead of holding so much cash

They are going to turn that country road into a busy city street, buy a different house.

Take more scuba diving trips now. Your anxiety won't let you do it later.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2017, 01:27:41 AM »
Don't worry, life will be awesome.
love this one.

for me:
-Max out your 401k and Roth IRA every year. And no, just getting the match isn't good enough.
-Call and visit your grandparents and great-aunt. And record more of their stories and history. They won't be around much longer to tell it.
-You're on the right track, and don't worry so much. You get better at life every year.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2017, 04:20:34 AM »
I would tell my 28 year old self-
Don't worry about money so much. Go on that big trip to Europe with DH. You guys will have plenty of money but not enough time in the future.
Wait longer to buy the first house. Take your time and find one that you won't want to sell in eight years. It will be worth an extra year or to in an apartment.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2017, 07:51:14 AM »
1. Max out your 401k if you can.
2. Don't date women under 25 (if not married)
3. If married and you want children, have them immediately.
4. Keep up a regular exercise routine. The longer you stop, the harder it is to stop.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »

In your 40's you will go through the most difficult thing you have ever faced and it will rock you to the very core.  Prepare every way possible.

Sorry to hear it - any specifics you'd like to share?

To 28 year old me
Financial: You've got a good sense with money, stop trying to do things to 'fit in/interact' with those who don't.

Health: Routines are important, particularly with physical activity. Failure to keep a routine results in injury and loss of productivity.

Relationships: Don't keep putting effort into relationships that aren't reciprocated. There exists a "sunk cost" fallacy for relationships, too. 

Culture: The last season of Lost! will ruin the entire series and make you disappointed that you 'lost' so much time watching the series in the first place.  Ironic, no? Go hiking instead.

Work-related:  Learn big-data management and R now.

In general (and the best advice I've gotten recently): Decide to do things you want to do with people you like & respect in places you want to live.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2017, 12:41:07 PM »
Don't buy a house in 7 years.

SimpleSpartan

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2017, 01:54:47 PM »
Stop comparing yourself to everyone - it's a total waste of time. Max out that 401k immediately. Have family and friends donate to kids' college funds instead of giving them mountains of shitty plastic toys every year. Shop around on insurance. Drop cable. Have [good friend] get his heart checked before January 2012. Get in better shape.

Alternatively:
1. Save every dime for the next four years.
2. Sell the house to free up cash.
3. Put it all on Leicester City to win the EPL championship.
4. Enjoy your last 10 months of employment.

Aha completely forgot about Leicester. What they did was incredible.

jgoody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2017, 02:09:05 PM »
Buy a duplex or a triplex that has acceptable cash flow for your first "house".  You only have to live in it for 2-3 years and that will be a lot harder to do once you have children.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2017, 02:41:22 PM »

Sorry to hear it - any specifics you'd like to share?

To 28 year old me
Financial: You've got a good sense with money, stop trying to do things to 'fit in/interact' with those who don't.

Health: Routines are important, particularly with physical activity. Failure to keep a routine results in injury and loss of productivity.

Relationships: Don't keep putting effort into relationships that aren't reciprocated. There exists a "sunk cost" fallacy for relationships, too. 

Culture: The last season of Lost! will ruin the entire series and make you disappointed that you 'lost' so much time watching the series in the first place.  Ironic, no? Go hiking instead.

Work-related:  Learn big-data management and R now.

In general (and the best advice I've gotten recently): Decide to do things you want to do with people you like & respect in places you want to live.

The last episode of Lost, not the whole season. But damn that last episode, completely ruined the whole series. I can’t even re-watch it now and I loved that show. Guess I’m not the only one still bitter?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »
Buy a duplex or a triplex that has acceptable cash flow for your first "house".  You only have to live in it for 2-3 years and that will be a lot harder to do once you have children.

You only have to live in it for a year.  The next day after day 365, you could technically close on another house!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!