Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2720 times)

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What would you do?
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »
I am stuck in a bad job with a relatively poor(bad for my area-atrociously expensive Silicon valley) salary. I make 90k as a QA automation engineer with 4 years of work experience. This is after being a top performer at my company where I have been working for the past 2 years. I have no other financial perks..other than my 401k and that is a 100% match for the first 5% of base pay. One of the major benefits my company(fortune 50 company) offers is that I am allowed to  work from home as and when necessary. I believe this is a major plus as I  am trying to start a family and this helped me big time during my first miscarriage. This is also one of the reasons I took up this job after having multiple offers when I graduated with my Masters. But, things haven't go as planned. I have realized that starting a family may not occur on my timeline and all I can do is keep trying.

My question is should I stick it out at this job for as long as it takes to start a family? I am guessing the job market will be a
lot more unstable in a year or two. Or should I try moving out immediately for a better job and salary and deal with all the pressure as it comes. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Some insight into our finances: Me and my hubby have 450K in net worth(28 and 31 years old resp),
no liabilities and my husband makes about 180K a year with bonus.We are relatively frugal.We spend under $4000 a month.

Michread

• Stubble
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:31:12 PM »
All you can do is try.  It doesn't hurt to look around & apply for something else. You're still young (my niece had her first baby at 36yo this yr).

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »
My main thought is:  Do you like working from home?  Is that perk worth it? 

That would make or break my decision, probably.  Personally, I would hate working from home (I think).  So the occasional usefulness (needing to be home for a service person, etc) wouldn't be worth it for me, since in my experience most professional jobs don't care if you work from home on occasion. 

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »
@Michread: Thanks for the positive encouraging note.

@MayDay: I like working from home. But I don't do it all the time. Just when I feel like it and nobody at office ever asks why I wasn't in office. I think that is a huge plus, especially when there are a lot of doctors appointments and all the pregnancy symptoms. My only concern is that I might get stuck for ever(or a long time) in a job that I do not really enjoy just to try to start a family(which, I have realized, is not entirely in my hands.).

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 02:44:19 PM »
Working at home = no commute = a good good thing in my books!