Author Topic: What's your favorite budgeting software?  (Read 19950 times)

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
What's your favorite budgeting software?
« on: December 29, 2013, 03:06:23 PM »
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I'd like to ask people for their favorite budgeting software?

I know lots of people like YNAB, but I kind of balk at paying $40 for it.  Has anyone used Mvelopes (and is it really free?).  Any other good free "envelope system" software alternatives out there?

I did just buy Quicken Home and Business in an attempt to better organize my schedule C business accounting.  I haven't used it before- can it be modified to mimic an envelope system for my personal accounts?

I don't care about tracking investments- mine are simple enough.  Just want to hold my feet to the fire budget-wise.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: What's your favorite budgeting software?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »
I just use excel.  Boring but effective.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 03:36:03 PM »
How do you apply that?  Do you set up "envelope" equivalents?  Or just record all your transactions and compare them to your budget?  Do you have a way to record things when you are out via your cell phone?

I used a real paper envelope system in my twenties and I liked the way it put a cap on your spending ("oops - $10 left in food budget this week - guess I'm making rice and beans").

Charlotte

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »
I use excel as well. I have an annual budget with the monthly amounts broken out. I also have a tracking spreadsheet. Since I know the budget inside and out (at least the monthly quantities), entering the amounts into my tracking spreadsheet tells me at-a-glance if I am over or under budget.

I used to track the annual budget monthly to make sure I wasn't too far off track, but it's well ingrained in my head at this point, so I only update it quarterly or so.

This probably doesn't help you -- it took me years to get here....

Good luck! And congrats on getting started!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 03:56:01 PM »
Or just record all your transactions and compare them to your budget? 

This.  The first spreadsheet I had was made by a CPA friend of mine (he helped me customize it.)  Since then I've reinvented it, and now I just fill it out every day either as I pay or using receipts if I bought a bunch of random stuff at one place.  I also use it to track my investments, savings rate, etc. on my own.

Recording transactions has become a habit with nothing much to remember.  I do a sit down with my online bank and credit card statements to see if I missed something periodically, but there's rarely anything missing.  You can use the notes feature of your phone to record cash expenses if you worry about forgetting.

I don't really have a set "budget" anymore other than annual monthly average goals.  If I go over one month, I feel pressure to be under the next.  I did more strict monthly monitoring when I needed to get my spending under control while the income was lower than in the past.  Instead I now have a few years of tracked expenses, and I can note each month if I went over or under in a certain category.  I realize pretty quickly if I'm eating out more than normal, for example.  Hope that helps.

freeedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:02:24 PM »
Mint.com is awesome.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »
Ynab.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:32:26 PM »
Excel for analysis and planning my budget. Quicken 2004 (free) for recording and monitoring performance against budget.

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Badass Mustachian Twins!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »
I also LOVE using YNAB. You just have to keep an eye out because it goes on sale for dirt cheap sometimes. I saw it on steam a couple of times for half off and over the holidays from YNAB's own website.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 05:52:15 PM »
I'll chime in to add a vote to YNAB. I paid the full price for it ($60) but I don't regret it. It's paid for itself several times over with the clarity it's given our finances. However, I recently purchased two other copies of YNAB for presents during their 50% off sale recently. That plus my $6 referral link made it come to $24 each. Fantastic value IMO!

Koala0924

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 05:55:54 PM »
I would love to try YNAB, but I don't have a desktop computer, only tablets. I stumbled upon Mvelopes (which I think is Goodbudget now) and I love it. I use the free basic app, no way am I paying an ongoing fee for budgeting.

The free version allows 10 monthly "envelopes" and 10 irregular/annual "envelopes". That number matches what I need quite well. It allows me to forecast out much better than Mint. Overall, I recommend it. I feel like I'm truly, successfully budgeting for a year now because its so easy to forecast those irregular expenses.

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Badass Mustachian Twins!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:31:37 PM »
I would love to try YNAB, but I don't have a desktop computer, only tablets. I stumbled upon Mvelopes (which I think is Goodbudget now) and I love it. I use the free basic app, no way am I paying an ongoing fee for budgeting.

The free version allows 10 monthly "envelopes" and 10 irregular/annual "envelopes". That number matches what I need quite well. It allows me to forecast out much better than Mint. Overall, I recommend it. I feel like I'm truly, successfully budgeting for a year now because its so easy to forecast those irregular expenses.

I just want to make sure you know that YNAB is a one time investment. You don't pay an ongoing fee for the software. Just want to be clear. :)

Koala0924

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 06:54:58 PM »
I was referring to the Mvelopes when discussing an ongoing fee. Sorry, I should've made that clear. The basic 10 envelope setup for Mvelopes is free but if you upgrade to the paid subscription/services its a monthly or yearly fee.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »

I just want to make sure you know that YNAB is a one time investment. You don't pay an ongoing fee for the software. Just want to be clear. :)

I read though that when they release a new version you have to pay to upgrade to get the new features. This is why I'm kinda waiting on another 50% off sale.

jonchappelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 06:51:22 AM »
Excel for budgeting and Mint for a big picture view.

All the fancy software that grabs your credit card receipts don't give any detail. Yes, I spent 50$ on groceries. How much was meat, dairy, grains, veggies, fruit, frozen food, snacks, etc. Was any of that household items like cleaning supplies, medicine, etc.

I keep every receipt, and every week or two I'll take 10 min to type it all into excel. That way it gets itemized and grouped correctly. Plus a second review of each purchase reminds you if it was a bad decision. 950 items purchased this year. A few pivot tables here and there, and you have paretos to show whatever you want. I can tell you how many $ were spent on avocados or how much bad food I ate this year... not sure I want to know that one though.

Cyrano

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 07:19:30 AM »
I use Gnucash for personal accounting.

But I'm one of those people who thinks the right number of envelopes is one. Savings is the first thing that comes out of my paycheck, and I don't bother categorizing the rest before spending it. I have an accurate record of expenditures after the fact for occasions when I want to analyze where money has gone to make a plan to reduce the total.

FastStache

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »
For those using Excel, do you use Pear Budget or it's all custom? If it's custom can you post your template?

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »

I read though that when they release a new version you have to pay to upgrade to get the new features. This is why I'm kinda waiting on another 50% off sale.

When they release a new version there is an upgrade price.  What is really cool about the upgrade though is that it gets you the license for the new version AND you can give away your license for the old version to somebody who wants to try and can't afford it.  I've been with them since YNAB 2, and they are up to YNAB 4 now, and have upgraded every time.  Even without upgrading you can still keep using the awesome software which you have.  What's even more awesome is their guarantee that if you purchase it and a new version comes out they have two tiers, one is for those within X days of new version get the new one for FREE, the other is a reduced upgrade cost (even less than their long time customer upgrade).  The great thing about Jesse is that he wants people to budget and doesn't want them to hold off because a new version may be coming out.

With that said, I've been using YNAB for 5 years and only had two upgrades, they don't release new major versions often but they do release plenty of upgrades, including new features, as FREE minor versions.  The great thing is if you like your current version, and none of the new version features are appealing to you, don't upgrade and just keep using it.  I recommend this to all people who ask me about budgeting.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »
I've been using YNAB for a year now and am very happy with it.  Digging through the spending reports I'm able to narrow down what I really need to focus on reducing and I love being able to add transactions on my phone. 

bobsmiley

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
for those that think YNAB is overpriced there's a sale going on right now for YNAB here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/227320/

$15

WFUDEAC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »
So I just purchased YNAB via Stream. Looks like I need to download the Stream software to then be able to use the YNAB software?

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »
So I just purchased YNAB via Stream. Looks like I need to download the Stream software to then be able to use the YNAB software?

Only to get the license key.

FastStache

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 08:22:03 PM »
http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/using-ynab-on-steam

I downloaded ynab through steam and ran it once. Then I went to help and got the license key. I downloaded ynab from their website and pasted the key. Then I proceeded to remove steam from my pc.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »
I just got it. Yay! I'm excited about YNAB.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 11:38:56 PM »
Now I have it YNAB, too.  For $15, yea!  Thanks for the directions, Faststache.  I got YNAB and then got rid of Steam.  I do hate clutter.  ;)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »
I use pen and paper on the fridge to record daily spending. At the end of the month, each category gets added up and entered into Excel.

In excel I have a few separate worksheets. One is bank ledger, one is budget per category/automatic withdrawals (amount and date), etc.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 09:12:18 AM »
I saw that too as I was browsing their Holiday Games Sales :)

For me it's Excel... SO builds amazing spreadsheets (does for living) it has worked for years.

Now I have it YNAB, too.  For $15, yea!  Thanks for the directions, Faststache.  I got YNAB and then got rid of Steam.  I do hate clutter.  ;)

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 04:32:23 PM »
Ok, so I got YNAB at that cheap price.  I've set it up on my laptop (although I haven't gotten around to removing Steam yet, thanks for the tip on how to do that).  I've also set up Dropbox but can't open my budget on my phone - I'm guessing I need to download YNAB to my phone too somehow?

I must say, it's all a little counter-intuitive to me.  I may need to reconfigure it to make it match a little more closely the way I think about things. But I can see once I get the cell phone part up and running, it will be handy to record expenses as I make them.

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
I use YNAB.  It's a little bit of a different way of thinking about budgeting, but once I got it, it's a very powerful way of both managing your cash flow and giving you a brutally honest view of your finances.

Our progress since switching to it is that we went from treading water financially to saving at least $70,000 over the last two years, while my wife went back to school full time. 

I will note that YNAB isn't entirely compatible with the way MMM thinks about his stache.  As an envelope system, every dollar gets a single specific job in YNAB, MMM tends to treat the stache as a bit more flexible in its purpose.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 12:51:39 PM »
I am kinda using a spreadsheet (just starting budgeting). I am also trying out YNAB. GNUcash has caught my eye because it's free.

payitoff

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »
for those who love the envelope system, i just discovered Mvelopes and so far im loving it

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 02:40:07 AM »
i use KmyMoney2 for over halv a year now and i like it. I use it to track every account, every liability (my DaddyBank with money i owe to my children at a generous rate) and every investment (even my little ammount of precious metals at home). It uses the principle of double entry accounting so mistakes like typos or money leaks are easily detectable.
My category system (fully customizable) is structured and fine granular, so i can easily see what kind of spending i did. Most of the time however im only interested in the combined networth and the income/spending ratio and the overall picture where my money went.

The best thing, it is open source software and therefore free to download and use.
It is advertised mostly for linux, but since december there is a windows version also.

KmyMoney features a basic reporting system where one can create own reports. I use that to give me the most important infos with a single click (expenses at topmost category for the last three months, overall earnings/savings rate for the current year; and for deeper info the detailed overview for Household expenses like food (divided by basic food, freezed/instant food, sweets etc, restaurants)).
The key was to get to a detailed category system but not overcomplicating it. With the option to collapse the category tree, i can easily see the sums.

For recurring expenses/income (like my paycheck or the rent bill) i can set up automatic bookings that will be entered by the system into the ledger, so i only have to check if it was booked at my checkings account.
I have all those in the system so i can really good predict and plan ahead which allows easier money shuffling and also "what happens in two months if i invest 500$ from my checking account into the stock market right now?".

For the big saving picture and longterm FI-planning i use openoffice calc.
This is also my choice when predicting stuff like overall car costs or to determine which broker has the least transaction fees for a given investmentvalue.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:51:16 AM by DaKini »

QoS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 07:18:04 AM »
It has to be YNAB, it's paid for itself 100 fold in 8 months.. Priceless.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 07:51:31 AM »
YNAB! It easily pays for itself and has made my life easier with all of our different accounts. Love, love, love it.

Mickijune

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 08:26:58 AM »
For those who use excel. What spreadsheets do you use? I'm trying to find an excel spreadsheet that works kind of like YNAB.

We created a spreadsheet like Dave Ramsey's examples. That worked for a while, but it started getting too tedious for flexible spending accounts like groceries and gas and such when we started transitioning from putting money physically in envelopes to using the credit card/debit card to rack up rewards points.

My problem now is how to we tie in the credit card transactions to the correct categories and then at the end of the pay period pay off the amount charged to the credit card.

Any thoughts?

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 08:58:04 AM »
I'm currently testing templates on vertex42.com

So many keep talking about YNAB that I may have to continue trying it till my trial runs out. Just ahrd to spend the money when I think a free spreadsheet will work. Most of the templates there (Vertex42.com) will also work in Google docs so it's fairly portable.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:00:10 AM by b4u2 »

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 10:31:21 PM »
for those who love the envelope system, i just discovered Mvelopes and so far im loving it

We've been using Mvelopes for about 3 years and still love it. We tried Quicken for a few months before that and it was useless. The free version is indeed free, a friend uses it and hasn't paid a dime, but it only allows you to track up to 4(?) accounts and limits your envelopes. The premium does not limit accounts or envelopes, and we pay 95$/year for it. It's been worth it to us, but I'm sure there are some new envelope budgeting programs out there now. In general though I recommend envelope budgeting versus the less flexible monthly budgeting that Quicken and most financial advice websites seem to prefer. It seems to be more accurate and responsive to the real world.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 11:03:23 PM »
Quicken: linked to practically all bank accounts, investments and credit cards for easy downloading and cost categorization and stock basis for all the pre-2011 dividend reinvestments.

Excel: to take Quicken output of "previous 12 months spending by category" and play what-if? for budgeting.

Yes, it costs a few dozen dollars every few years to update Quicken but I consider it money well spent. 

That said, I can only recommend Quicken+Excel on an absolute basis, as I haven't done a comparison relative to other options.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 07:31:44 AM »
I use the goodbudget envelope app on my iPod and a Numbers spreadsheet.  It is the best thing ever to always have it in my pocket.  I like the set up because my monthly budget is hypothetical money.  Several categories are even reimbursed by my work. On goodbudget I can easily keep track of what I've spent.  I've definitely pulled it out in the store to see my available balance.  Entering receipts manually helps keep me honest and on track.  At the end of the month I transfer totals per category to my numbers spreadsheet.  I don't need that info but I'm curious and like to see my long term spending.  I don't care what I bought and don't keep receipts after the statement is released.  I charge everything on credit cards (pay it off each month).  In goodbudget I don't pay attention to which card I use, or if I used cash, it is simply a record of how much I spent on food, household, etc.  I don't track saving or investments on goodbudget, that is on my numbers spreadsheet and updated monthly.

My brother was a little mystified by my system, he is an avid Mint user.  After much conversation we realized that he wanted to know how much was in his bank account I want to know how much I plan to spend per category (Maybe Mint or YNAB has options like this that I haven't explored). Quote:  "You mean you don't spend all of your money?!"

Adding a layer of unnecessary complexity.  Goodbudget has 10 irregular envelopes which I used to keep my checking and savings account balances on.  May seem like work to people who use a program that syncs with their bank, but as I put everything on the credit card I usually just have a couple transactions per month.  I don't really need to do this, but it gives me at a glance balances.  I don't keep track of the balances on my credit card because I don't spend more than my goodbudget envelopes, no worries there, I always know what to expect with the bill. 

I started this method when I only had an iPod, now I have a laptop as well and syncing apps are more appealing, but this has been really effective for me, so I'm not likely to change.

miked

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 08:15:12 AM »
I use LibreOffice Calc (Excel on linux). Daily expenses get put on a whiteboard then into the spreadsheet every few days. I have sheets for expenses, net worth, monthly dashboards, and one for taxes. The net worth sheet requires that we check our balances at the end of each month, but it is less work (at least for us) than mint because the connections to our accounts were always breaking.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 10:03:28 AM »
Excel for budgeting and Mint for a big picture view.

All the fancy software that grabs your credit card receipts don't give any detail. Yes, I spent 50$ on groceries. How much was meat, dairy, grains, veggies, fruit, frozen food, snacks, etc. Was any of that household items like cleaning supplies, medicine, etc.

I keep every receipt, and every week or two I'll take 10 min to type it all into excel. That way it gets itemized and grouped correctly. Plus a second review of each purchase reminds you if it was a bad decision. 950 items purchased this year. A few pivot tables here and there, and you have paretos to show whatever you want. I can tell you how many $ were spent on avocados or how much bad food I ate this year... not sure I want to know that one though.

I am just getting started on recording expenses (using Numbers/excel).  I started with bigger categories.  I am wondering - how many of you find it useful to track at this level of detail (sum $ avocados/ year), versus how much spent on groceries?

Back to the original topic, on other threads I saw many folks recommended Mint.  I have just glanced at it, but it appears you can link/auto-upload various accounts.  No worries about security??

NWOutlier

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »
I use mint for budget goals; but watch them very lightly.

Does anyone else do the opposite of a budget?  What I mean by this is; define your long term goal (some large amount of money), then determine the savings rate it takes monthly and yearly to get to that goal (I base mine on a 7% return)...  then save first, and blow the rest for living expenses... this forces me to focus on savings first and "me" second.... if I make my savings goal, I know I'm covered for the future and I spend what I need for living expenses...  once I made this transition, I also found myself actually adding extra savings from time to time, exceeding my monthly or yearly savings goals....  also creating a cash savings that can handle any surprise living expenses... that savings ensures I NEVER skip my monthly investments because of a car repair, laid off from work... no matter what, the monthly savings plan even has a 6-12 month emergency fund on top of my 6-12 month living expenses emergency fund...  If I get laid off, my "investments" would never know... :)

I dunno.. it works for me...

Thoughts?

Steve

Resler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 02:20:19 PM »
Wanted to buy YNAB, but it is no longer available for $15.  It is so hard for me to spend 60 bucks on something that is supposed to save me money.  Feels like an oxymoron.

Does anyone have a discount code or something?

letro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »
We save 22 % of income before taxes and spend the rest or not.  No budget only saving goals seems to have worked for our 35 years of marriage.  I track 2,000,000 +portfolio with morning star premium service and monitor big picture with excel past 15 years.
Keep smiling letro

irononmaiden

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »
I like Mint.com, but there's a huge caveat there. When my Amazon card was canceled after the Target security breach, Chase closed the account and all my data for that account disappeared from Mint. All my transactions, categorization, tags, splits, notes, everything for that account. Since I use my Amazon card for just about everything, it made Mint pretty much useless. So don't rely on Mint to keep years and years of your data.

I got Quicken Essentials for Mac free when I bought Turbotax Home & Business this year. (Amazon offered a $35 credit toward an Intuit product, and QEfM was $30.) It takes work to set everything up, but at least the data won't disappear like on Mint.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »
I like Mint.com, but there's a huge caveat there. When my Amazon card was canceled after the Target security breach, Chase closed the account and all my data for that account disappeared from Mint. All my transactions, categorization, tags, splits, notes, everything for that account. Since I use my Amazon card for just about everything, it made Mint pretty much useless. So don't rely on Mint to keep years and years of your data.

I got Quicken Essentials for Mac free when I bought Turbotax Home & Business this year. (Amazon offered a $35 credit toward an Intuit product, and QEfM was $30.) It takes work to set everything up, but at least the data won't disappear like on Mint.

Ouch and DAMN!  Is it easy or at least possible to export information from Mint to Excel or another program? Even if you lost a lot of functions, you would at least have the data. So what would the program do when you paid off a loan, like a mortgage? Purge that data too?

irononmaiden

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2014, 05:44:22 PM »
Yeah, you can export your transactions. Of course, then you don't get all the pretty, interactive graphs.

Not sure what'd happen when you pay off your mortgage. (I'll let you know in August 2017!)

It's funny to look back at last year now, because Mint thinks I only spent about $600 a month. If only.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2014, 05:39:52 AM »
Wanted to buy YNAB, but it is no longer available for $15.  It is so hard for me to spend 60 bucks on something that is supposed to save me money.  Feels like an oxymoron.

Does anyone have a discount code or something?

Here is my referral code: http://ynab.refr.cc/M5T377T . Unfortunately, it will only knock $6 off that so you're still looking at $54. However, they do tend to have sales regularly - why not just take the free trial for now while you're waiting? That way you'll know whether or not it's for you. I personally LOVE it, but I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!