Author Topic: What would be our *Ultimate Mustachian Jobs* in DENVER? :^D  (Read 1676 times)

ejmyrow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Aloha Amazing Mustachians!
My husband and I just moved to Denver! We are so excited to be close to major MMM happenings!

My question: What would be our Ultimate Mustachian Jobs in Denver?
Assumption: Maximizing quality of life and income (keeping costs low and savings high).

Background:
Firstly, my husband already has a job (side gig from California became full time here), but should he keep it? It's a contractor sales gig. It involves driving around the greater Denver area. He makes his own hours and it's good pay. Maximum flexibility in schedule. However, there are no benefits. He also hasn't had to drive in snow before. If 70% of his day is driving, then would the job become pretty unbearable in Denver winters? (We haven't experienced Denver winter yet).

My husband previously was a Program Coordinator for a community center. He also promoted community nutrition and is bilingual. He's very sociable and has a high level of emotional intelligence. His charisma lends itself to sales. Perhaps there is a company he should work for that would give him benefits and flexibility?! He is also looking into Salesforce. Would you recommend Salesforce?

My dream job would be to be an administrator for a non-profit farm or garden organization. Do you know of any?
- The reason I say non-profit is because I'm 3.5 years into the 10-year student loan forgiveness program (which requires non-profit work). I'm open to for-profit work as long as the company contributes to social good and the pay allows me to pay off my loan quickly.
- Since my husband's job doesn't have benefits, it would be ideal for mine to come with them.
- We live in downtown Denver and currently have 1 car. Ideally, I'd like to keep it that way, adding a short commute via foot or public transit.
I have a decade of administrative experience in Higher Education and eight years of chaplaincy work in hospitals and hospice. That work also includes Event Coordination experience.
Passions: organic food, writing, dance and the Arts, Spanish, spirituality, social justice, environmentalism.

Questions? Comments? ADVICE? Suggestions? Musings? All are welcome!
Thank so much!
Emily

Miss Tash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What would be our *Ultimate Mustachian Jobs* in DENVER? :^D
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
Denver Urban Gardens might fit the bill for you.
https://dug.org/

ejmyrow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:24:02 PM »
Thank you Miss Tash! :^D

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 09:26:26 AM »
Firstly, my husband already has a job (side gig from California became full time here), but should he keep it? It's a contractor sales gig. It involves driving around the greater Denver area. He makes his own hours and it's good pay. Maximum flexibility in schedule. However, there are no benefits. He also hasn't had to drive in snow before. If 70% of his day is driving, then would the job become pretty unbearable in Denver winters? (We haven't experienced Denver winter yet).

I would recommend running a detailed comparison of his current take home pay, tax liability, car maintenance and lack of benefits with what he might make with a local job that pays benefits and doesn't require excessive driving. I'm assuming his current salary might seem higher than a local job in Denver since his side gig offers no benefits and he's earning CA wages, but he's missing out on the benefits of 401K matches and deducting 401K and HSA contributions from his taxable income.

Also, not to be grim, but with all the driving he does I hope he has excellent health care coverage in case something should happen on the road. This isn't unique to Colorado, but I've certainly seen more than my fair share of Colorado drivers and new Colorado residents making let's just say "high-questionable" and borderline "aggressive" driving decisions out on the roads. As for driving in the winter, it's really hard to say since the weather isn't predictable. There will be a few winter days where if you value your life and the life of others on the road, it's not worth driving, but there will be far more days where there's snow and it's safe to drive, but a simple commute will take 5X as long than it would in normal driving conditions due to slow moving traffic and accidents.

ejmyrow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 05:10:48 PM »
Thank you ApacheStache! We will calculate all these expenses. Flexibility is also worth a lot to us. One benefit is that since hours are flexible, he can stay home on blizzard days. :^D