Author Topic: What would a mustachian do?  (Read 3218 times)

gorion83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What would a mustachian do?
« on: December 02, 2014, 03:58:38 AM »
I am recently puzzling with the idea of moving my current PC desk elsewhere.
It's now in a room where if I stand at my desktop I cannot stay with my girlfriend and I don't like it.

I want to move my pc in the living room, possibly with a desk for 2 so we can browse together.

These are the options I can think of.
1) Leave the desktop there and connect via remote desktop. Doable, but using 2 PCs just for doing things which can be done with one and taking up precious space in my three rooms apartment.
2) Purchase a desk which can fit well in the living room (i.e. a nice looking one) and move the tower in the living room. After browsing a bit I found only desks around the 400-600 euros mark, which is a bit expensive, imho.
3) Sell the tower and the monitor (which i recently bought) and get a notebook of similar power (the PC is from 2011, so current notebooks in the 800-900 dollars range can match its performance).

Another option would be a DIY desk, but I am a total novice to that and I don't have much spare time right now.

What would be the best option in your opinion?

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: What would a mustachian do?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 04:05:55 AM »
How about connecting up your desktop to your TV in the living room, if you have one, and use it from your sofa using a wireless keyboard and mouse? That's how I have my desktop system connected up, which is convenient to use, sociable and space efficient.

gorion83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 04:13:28 AM »
How about connecting up your desktop to your TV in the living room, if you have one, and use it from your sofa using a wireless keyboard and mouse? That's how I have my desktop system connected up, which is convenient to use, sociable and space efficient.

I could try, but the TV, altough a 40", is quite far from the sofa (20-30ft) or the table (30-40) and the desktop is not that nice looking :)
I have this TV bench (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40253910/) mounted about 40cms from the floor, so aesthetically it wouldn't be very nice, to see with a tower on the left or right probably.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »
I want to move my pc in the living room, possibly with a desk for 2 so we can browse together.
It sounds as if you're just going to surf the web?  If that's the case, I recommend getting an iPad.  Sorry, I know that's not mustachian by most people's standards, but it's cheaper than a decent desk and it really is a nicer solution than having a desktop computer in your living room.  There's so much content on TV now that goes well with web browsing, I like to have the TV separate from the iPad. 

gorion83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »
Not really. I use libreoffice for some financial modelling and a couple of windows only pieces of software.

Tablets are not enough.

I found a way to free some space in the small room. I can fit a 140 cm desk now, which i think can be enough for 2

Inviato dal mio XT1052 utilizzando Tapatalk