Author Topic: What winter gear do I need?  (Read 6408 times)

chongc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What winter gear do I need?
« on: July 03, 2017, 07:32:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm an international student headed to Maine for college.
I currently live near to the equator so I have next to no winter gear.

Is there anyone who is familiar with the climate in Maine (well almost every part of the US has a climate that's closer to Maine than my home climate) who will be able to share on what kind of gear will be suitable for the temperate climate?
Places where gear is good value around the area (or amazon) would be great as well.

Thanks!

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What winter gear do I need?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 08:05:42 AM »
To survive on campus and in town, you want to be familiar with the concept of layers to stay warm, buy any winter coat (I live 50 miles south of Maine and I wear an insulated leather jacket on most of the coldest days, with an insulated overalls that I wear only for snow shoveling and blowing).

The key to comfort is less about the jacket and more about the head cover (knit ski hat), hand cover (gloves), a scarf, and good footwear.

If you're going for the full school year, you can arrive with nothing and pick everything up locally as needed. There is LLBean (which is expensive but high quality in general), but you'll also no doubt find a secondhand store that will have what you need. I wouldn't try to prepare ahead of the season, especially out of season and out of location. It will be probably be cheaper and easier to show up in September unprepared for the teeth of winter and figure it out up here/there. If you were starting in January, maybe a different story.

If you are going to be mostly on campus and in town, this next bit doesn't apply. If you are going to go hiking in the amazing areas nearby, take your winter gear preparation very seriously. People die every year from being unprepared. Don't hike alone in the winter. Don't count on your cell phone to work in the woods. The trails are amazing, but are no joke. Being a little uncomfortable on campus is nothing to be tremendously worried about by comparison.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 09:45:12 AM »
Cold/cold wet feet = miserable.  Try to find good, warm footwear with proper socks.  As mentioned layers are your friend, and I love wool to be a part of this if I can.  For me, the ultimate do about anything coat for really cold weather, is a well fitted pea coat.  The timeless look goes well about anywhere, they are very, very warm, and comfortable without huge bulk.  A scarf is worth its weight in gold, and you will notice very quickly if you forget it.  A properly fitted cap (again I like wool) that covers your ears is a life saver.  I like a watch cap/toboggan style myself.  of course gloves will round things out, and here you have to match them to the activity.  Do all of these properly, and you can withstand very cold temps, for a long while...  As long as the wind is not crazy.  You can and most likely will acclimate, so don't fret if at first the cold seems to daunting.

I'm sure it can feel kinda scary to think you may be in a place where temps *could* go as low as -30c, but this is rare, even for the coldest parts of the NE.  Expect many days high to be above 0c, and some days a lot higher.  Other issues that may concern you are lack of daylight in the winter, and how that might affect your mood.  It can be very hard for some to adjust, especially if the days are cloudy.  If you have never seen/experienced snow, it can be magical.  As mentioned by sokoloft, the cold is no joke, and kills many who do not heed, and respect its power.  If you are planning on driving, have an emergency kit in your vehicle...  Locals can fill you in on this, when you arrive.  Make sure to stay hydrated; seems odd to say, but you can work up quite a sweat despite the cold temps, and not realize how much hydration you have lost.  Your skin may become very dry, especially indoors, so anticipate how to deal with this. 

Many folks hate winter, and I guess they have their reasons, but winter can be a very enjoyable part of the year too - Enjoy quiet times in nature, enjoy feeding birds, ice skating, the smell of the first snowfall, drinking lots of tea and hot chocolate, baking all the time, enjoying a warm fire, the near blissful comfort of a warm down comforter, of just the right weight, anticipation of spring, and being grateful when winter breaks.  Good luck to you chongc.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:06:57 AM »
Thermals are definitely helpful (Under Armour but probably a knock-off brand.  We got our "32 below" ones at Costco for ~$10-$15 USD).  They are tight-fitting - both tops and bottoms and help to keep your body heat in.  From there, any number of layers will do - sweatshirts, hoodies, etc.  Scarves are also helpful as they will cut the wind from your neck and face area.

Be sure to have a pair or two of thick socks to keep your feet warm.  Gloves are also very important for your hands.  Definitely would consider a hat or ear warmers for your head.

Fire2025

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
If you're going for the full school year, you can arrive with nothing and pick everything up locally as needed. There is LLBean (which is expensive but high quality in general), but you'll also no doubt find a secondhand store that will have what you need. I wouldn't try to prepare ahead of the season, especially out of season and out of location. It will be probably be cheaper and easier to show up in September unprepared for the teeth of winter and figure it out up here/there. If you were starting in January, maybe a different story.
Little tip that will not be obvious in the beginning.  When it's beautiful and sunny out (during winter), it's probably really cold/crispy out.  When it overcast and gloomy looking it maybe a little warmer and humid.  Where you're coming from the opposite is true, so this takes some getting use to.

If you get there in Fall you can hit the consignment and thrift stores.  People will be cleaning out and getting new for themselves, it's usually a good time to get things second hand.

Concentrate your money your feet; good boots/ good socks, and a good coat, I always preferred wool. 

Then layers, layers layers on your core; t-shirt, thermal, regular long sleeve shirt, sweater or sweat shirt, and finally coat. Hats, mittens and scarves are cheep, but you must have them everyday.  If something unexpected happens and you end up outside for a period of time or at night you will need them, not want them, need them.  keep them in the pockets of your coat or in your backpack at all times.

If you feel uncomfortable taking advice from someone living in Sunny Cali, rest easy, I'm from Northern MN, makes Maine look tropical.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 12:19:45 PM »
I'm from the frigid midwest and went to school where it snowed starting in September and didn't melt until mid-June. So I know a bit about the cold :)

1. Wear Layers. Base layers, Mid layer, outer layer. Base layers are thermal underwear type things, moisture wicking fabrics. Mid layers are a bit looser, maybe things like a warm sweater or sweatshirt. Outer layers are things like coats/jackets. All winter I would wear thermal underwear underneath my jeans and T-shirts, then a sweatshirt, then my coat/hat/mittens/scarf. Then I would shed layers as needed.

2. Wool socks. 100% wool socks (don't need to be the unbearably scratchy kind) are your friend. Wool stays warm even if it gets wet/damp. 70% of my socks are wool, and they come in thick, medium, and thin types.

3. Good footwear. Get good, sturdy boots. Anywhere with snow there will also be ice, which is very slippery. Look for good treads on the bottom and thick, warm, (wool!) linings and insulation. I personally have 2 pairs of mukluk boots made of moosehide, but those are quite expensive. If your feet are cold, the rest of you is 3x as cold, so really focus on good, warm footwear with proper insulation and water proofing (snow is water and will cling to your boots. Then as soon as you get inside it will melt and if your boots/footwear is not waterproof, you will have soaking wet feet!)

4. Get a nice soft scarf. When its cold and windy out, cover your face with the scarf and breathe through the fabric. The barrier will help warm the air by your face and warm the air entering your lungs.

5. Go outside and enjoy the weather! Winter is so fun -- steal a lunch tray from the dining halls or some cardboard and go sledding with your friends. Make snowmen or snow sculptures, have snowball fights, make snow forts, go skiing, go winter camping, then come back in for a nice warm sauna or shower. Don't hole yourself inside and be afraid of the weather, embrace it!

Aminul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »
While I don't know about Maine specifically, I can speak to Winters in balmy Southwestern Ontario (Canada).  I'll echo what everyone else says about footwear -- cold/wet feet suck.  In my experience, waterproof shoes/boots are essential.  Most days I'll wear thick wool socks and a pair of Gortex hiking shoes.  In my area we don't get as much snow as Maine might experience, but we do get slush and it's really easy to get a soaker (wet feet).

I have two pairs of gloves - a thinner pair of "running gloves" that are great for taking off the chill without too much bulk, and then a pair of proper winter ski gloves that are warm for shoveling or spending more amounts of time outside. 

I'm a big fan of down jackets because of their light weight.  I found the weight of carrying around a heavy jacket made my shoulders hurt.  Some down jackets might not be enough on their own, but that's where layering comes in.

As for where to get good winter gear at a low price -- keep your eye out for REI Garage Sales.  They sell off returned merchandise for low prices.  Most of it is like-new.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 10:09:38 AM »

Little tip that will not be obvious in the beginning.  When it's beautiful and sunny out (during winter), it's probably really cold/crispy out.  When it overcast and gloomy looking it maybe a little warmer and humid.  Where you're coming from the opposite is true, so this takes some getting use to.

See, I feel that those grey wet days feel colder than the technically colder crisp sunny days.  It's something about the humidity level - the damp cold is miserable and sets into your bones and chills you, where the dry sunny clear days are glorious - the sun warms your face even while the air is colder.  I much prefer 20F (dry) to 40F (slushy).  Probably about evaporation removing heat from your skin surfaces and chilling you down.

OP, what is your campus like physically?  Is it sprawling and disconnected, so that you will be doing lots of walking from building to building outside?  Or is it compact and well connected by tunnels or skywalks?  My college was the latter - you could go from your dorm to nearly all buildings on campus without ever setting foot outside, if you chose.  Although there was one skywalk that was a bit leaky - it always had snow filtering in at the midpoint in winter.  But even without a coat, it was a quick 30 second walk to the next building, you just moved quickly.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:29:05 AM »
Warm and waterproof shoes with good profile and soft rubber soles are great for outside. But not for inside. I noticed this my first winter in Norway, sitting in the office in warm winter shoes with sweatty feet. You might want to consider having a pair of indoor shoes or sandals available. Norwegians (at least the sensible ones) who go a night out in the winter often bring an extra bag with their dancing shoes, while they wear winter shoes outside.

If it is windy, it is good to have a pair or windproof trousers, for example rain trousers, that you can pull over your normal trousers. This is also something you can take off inside. Wearing long johns is more inconvenient when spending time both inside and outside. But these are ideal to wear under your hiking clothes in the forest.

Look at the weather statistics. How much snow is there? Maybe you want to buy a pair of snow shoes, so you can hike in the winter. You might also want to buy a pair of spike soles for when there is hard, frozen snow on the ground. But these are things you can buy later during the winter season.

Did anyone mention mittens? These are warmer than gloves, just not so practicle. Good when walking.

Poeirenta

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 10:37:46 AM »
No one's mentioned cotton specifically, so I will...make sure that some of your layers are not cotton. There's a reason it's called the death fabric in wilderness first aid classes: when it gets wet, it hold the cold next to your skin and can lead to hypothermia. In the coldest temps I wear silk or polypro long underwear under my jeans, and if I am out playing in the snow, or if I have to chain up the car (and kneel in the snow) I have my snow pants on or at the ready. You want wool, fleece, or a synthetic fabric that is at least water resistant.

Great suggestion above to do thrift store shopping after you arrive...there is probably a lot of decent LL Bean wear in Maine second hand stores!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »
I grew up in Minnesota and attended universities in neighboring states. Cold is something I grew up with. As such, I often broke many of the guidelines stated above when walking around campus in below-freezing weather: no hat, just a cotton t-shirt and a thick coat over my torso, cotton socks, etc. If you're only outside for 10-15 minutes at a time walking around campus, this will usually be fine. You might be a bit cold by the time you arrive, but not a big deal. It's when you're outside for hours that you really need to make sure you layer up, especially on the extremities.

My friend from Puerto Rico, on the other hand, wore long underwear all winter because she didn't grow up with the cold and even then said she felt cold all the time. It all depends on how well you adjust to the climate.

The bottom line is that this stuff needn't be that expensive. Get a decent coat, a thick hat, and some gloves. Wool socks are nice to have. Make sure your shoes don't get soaked inside at the slightest contact with water. You'll quickly figure out what works for you.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
Try googling some "top five" or "top ten" lists for what are the best ski hats, gloves, parkas, etc.--just for some ideas.  I've lived in snow climates my whole life--northern Ohio, Sweden, upstate New York, South Dakota...and even though you won't wear every "snow" item every day, you'll be glad you have them, and will find that you do need them. For me, the go-to list over the years has developed into: wool hat ("watch" cap or beanie type), leather gloves for driving and not-too-cold use, ski gloves and/or mittens for real outside time, a thigh-length down parka with hood, (usually from Eddie Bauer or L.L.Bean), everyday thin wool socks meant for guys (I'm female) that go over-the-calf (menswear stores usually have them), one or two pairs ragg wool socks from L. L. Bean or similar outlet just for comfort around the house or for sleep--they don't fit in my shoes/boots. I have six-inch Timberland leather women's work boots for when conditions aren't too bad. For real snow I wear Columbia Bugaboots. They make both men's and women's versions. When everything is a solid sheet of ice, I use Stabilicer Maxx strap-on cleats to prevent me breaking my neck. (American company in Maine: stabilgear.com I think is the website.) My layers: L.L. Bean lightweight merino wool long underwear, cotton turtlenecks and mock turtlenecks, some cotton or cotton/acrylic sweaters, and two or three wool sweaters. I don't wear everything together all the time--in fact, usually don't--but when it gets really cold, you will be soooooo glad you have the wool items. I don't usually wear scarves except for looks--as long as a turtleneck is keeping my neck warm. I would think that in Maine you will have no trouble finding all this stuff. Start looking when you get there in September. If you are just running back and forth to buildings with only a few minutes outside, it won't be such an issue. But if you are outside for extended periods of time, you will be glad you have the winter gear. I always have the hat, boots, and gloves in the back of my car for winter driving--just in case, God forbid, I get stuck by the side of the road, or in a parking lot with a dead battery.

chongc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions!
My campus is quite small in population, and from the pictures I've seen there doesn't seem to be a system of joined buildings where I can hide from the cold while going from building to building.

What I've gathered mostly in order of what seems to be the priority:

Footwear
Underwear
Hats/scarf/gloves

I've seen LLbean come up frequently, searched around a bit and found that it's a brand originating from Maine.
Given that they have a lifetime warranty, I wonder why people sell their used gear from that store :P
EDIT: Sadly, it seems they may not honor that warranty on second hand purchases from thrift stores etc, I asked their customer service about it.

Another issue I've come across is regarding lack of sufficient exposure to sunlight and associated depression-like symptoms.
Given that I've never had a lack of sunlight ever, any chance that this is could be an issue?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:23:04 PM by chongc »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
OP, don't forget that you need a warm coat.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 07:49:07 PM »
Not inexpensive but really high quality are Smart Wool socks and thermals. 

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »
Supplement with vitamin D for the winter.  If you do find yourself with the winter Blues there are lamps that can help.

Personally I prefer mittens to gloves.  It keeps my hands warmer.  I will 4th everyone else's opinion on layers.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 12:31:07 AM »
Against winter depression is also helps to go out in daylight as much as you can. It will not be dark all day (unless you are far above the polar circle). It will be light, but maybe only between 9AM to 3PM in December. Make sure you go outside in that time, especially during the weekends. This is where the snow shoes come in. With that, you can walk for some hours in the woods.  Things to do with snow and snow shoes: following wild animal tracks. Cross country skiing is also great, but be prepared to have a learning curve. Ice skating would have the same beneficial effect. The good thing about snow, is that it will reflect light and the whole world on a sunny day, will be blindingly white. -> you need a pair of well covering sunglasses.
The most difficult time of the year is November, when the days are short and snow might not be there yet. In December there is the whole Christmas thing with lots of lights everywhere. After December things will be getting easier, as the days are getting longer again and snow might be laying around. If the spring comes late, then use some of the weekends in spring to travel to a warmer place where there is more green.

hankscorpio84

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 04:15:35 PM »
Surprise nobody suggested down/primaloft.  The puffy coat is my go to jacket in the winter.  (I live in coastal Alaska, weather similar to Maine.)  Plus, many puffy coats pack into a tiny package that is a great travel pillow.  Another suggestion is to consider the wind.  I have never used a scarf, but the idea is to close up all of the places for the wind to blow through.  All of my good winter clothes have some type of internal cuff, and the ability to cinch the waist or hood tight. 

For me, food and activity are more important than what I wear.  A hearty meal with lots of fat and a good walking pace will keep you warm regardless of your clothing.  I have seen people bundled up so thick they can't move, this will cause you to get colder faster than when you wear less and have your heart rate pumping.  A crock pot (slow cooker) and thermos are good tools that can be found at second hand stores.   

And great suggestion on the vitamin D, it is definitely helpful to beat the blues.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 02:19:34 AM »
And great suggestion on the vitamin D, it is definitely helpful to beat the blues.

Here in Norway they put it in the milk. :-)

Yes, I used to have a colleague from India with a pretty dark skin. He became physically ill, went to his GP and was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency.
I personally get very good benefit is spending hours in the sun in the early spring, usually on CC skies.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 06:49:42 AM »
Surprise nobody suggested down/primaloft.  The puffy coat is my go to jacket in the winter.  (I live in coastal Alaska, weather similar to Maine.)  Plus, many puffy coats pack into a tiny package that is a great travel pillow.  Another suggestion is to consider the wind.  I have never used a scarf, but the idea is to close up all of the places for the wind to blow through.  All of my good winter clothes have some type of internal cuff, and the ability to cinch the waist or hood tight. 

For me, food and activity are more important than what I wear.  A hearty meal with lots of fat and a good walking pace will keep you warm regardless of your clothing.  I have seen people bundled up so thick they can't move, this will cause you to get colder faster than when you wear less and have your heart rate pumping.  A crock pot (slow cooker) and thermos are good tools that can be found at second hand stores.   

I mentioned a down parka (or alternative non-feather equivalent, like Primaloft) in my post upthread. To me it is a basic essential. Others talked about wool pea coats, insulated leather jackets, etc. These are good to have, but for all-round use in the quintessential cold and snowy winter weather, I think the OP needs a good, basic parka. If the weather is a little warmer, he can always wear it unzipped, or probably take off the hood--many are detachable. In a dark color--let's say black--it would work over dressier clothes, too, if need be. If he is buying second-hand, he may be able to get two jackets--something lighter for earlier in the fall, and the down parka for when it really gets cold. The OP could take a look online at sites like Eddie Bauer or LL Bean to get some ideas, and then go for second-hand when he actually gets to Maine.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 06:53:19 AM »
Forgot to mention that my niece, a southern girl her whole life, got a teaching job in Vermont. She had no idea...and I do mean No Idea...what she needed for Vermont winters. When she stopped at my house on her way up, I was able to give her a hat, scarf and gloves. In Vermont, when people realized she had Nothing for the snow, they just started digging into their closets and giving her things. So it does work out--I doubt that the OP needs to worry too much.  : D

chongc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 07:10:13 AM »
I do actually have a set of long underwear which was rated for pretty cold weather, I got it for a school hiking trip up in some mountains a few years back. The nights were around freezing and we walked around with just that and regular T-shirts/shorts over with no problem, so that would probably work for the coldest days with some more layering on top.

However, I don't think those will work for regular college days as I'll probably melt in heated areas with those on.
On that note, how does dressing up and down work? Is it just usual clothes with extra jackets/coats/hats/scarf etc that's easily removable in the indoor classroom environment?
Probably something I'll figure out quickly once I'm there, but just thought of asking others who do this on a yearly basis.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »
Thinking back to my student days in bad weather...I would likely be wearing jeans and a cotton turtleneck with probably a wool cardigan over the turtleneck. Thin wool socks, snow boots. Parka, gloves--probably had a hat in my car, but would not wear it into the building for class. Could always put my hood up if I needed to. (Drove to school--long, snowy, slushy, icy walks from parking lots.) So walk into building, stomp off  snow/ice/salt off boots on mats just inside door. Be aware that tile floors if wet from people's boots could be slippery--same thing going into grocery stores, etc. Be careful on wet slippery floors. Go into classroom. Put gloves deeply into parka pockets so they stay there--a lost glove is a big nuisance. If you do have your hat, shove it deeply into another pocket. Hang parka on back of your chair, or on hooks on walls if they are there. If you start to feel warm, unbutton or remove wool sweater and hang on back of your chair. If your sweater is a pullover, I suppose you could take it off, but I would just leave a pullover on. Do not wear long underwear to class, as you will roast to death.

When you get home to where you live, take off your boots at the door and put them on some sort of mat. (Snow, ice, salt, mud, etc. makes a mess in your home.) Put on your regular shoes or some kind of warm slippers (something like sheepskin Uggs are comfortable, but you cannot get them wet. At all. Another comfortable option for walking around your home in winter, and much cheaper than slippers, would be ragg wool socks--very warm and cosy.

Forgot to say that if turtlenecks seem too high up your neck and drive you crazy, buy the mock turtlenecks. They should keep your neck warm enough most of the time--but for really cold, blizzard-like, windy days, you will want the high, tighter turtlenecks. I was thinking, too, that in the worst, most inclement weather, they may just cancel school!

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 09:34:04 AM »
+1 on the down or primaloft jacket.  I moved to Michigan for grad school and froze in my wool coat even with layers.  Finally bought a down jacket and felt warm for the first time.  A good source for bargains is s sierratradingpost.com

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 09:38:59 AM »
As long as you show up with a decent warm coat, warm hat and gloves, and some decent shoes you can get the rest when you get there.
See what others are wearing and ask the locals what is best.  Amazon can have it to you in a couple days.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 11:18:22 AM »
And get in the habit of checking the weather report daily, so you have some idea of what is coming at you; also keep on eye on "closing and delays" in the snow season.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »
I do actually have a set of long underwear which was rated for pretty cold weather, I got it for a school hiking trip up in some mountains a few years back. The nights were around freezing and we walked around with just that and regular T-shirts/shorts over with no problem, so that would probably work for the coldest days with some more layering on top.

However, I don't think those will work for regular college days as I'll probably melt in heated areas with those on.
On that note, how does dressing up and down work? Is it just usual clothes with extra jackets/coats/hats/scarf etc that's easily removable in the indoor classroom environment?
Probably something I'll figure out quickly once I'm there, but just thought of asking others who do this on a yearly basis.

Long underwear is not smart to wear to class as it takes time and a toilet to undress. On my way to the train to work, I used to pull a pair of rain trousers (windproof) over my trousers. I took it off in the train. Gloves/mittens and wolly cap would go into hangbag or coat pockets. Long underwear is great for hikes where you keep them on. Otherwise, wear layers. Shirt under sweater so that hou can take off sweater in case very warm inside. As I mentioned earlier it is good to have other shoes for inside, that are not so warm and waterproof. How it works in a class I don't know. But at my office I switch shoes.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »
My long underwear is black, and it works well as substitutes for "real" clothing when I am close to laundry day and running out of clean clothes. The bottoms can double as leggings under a tunic and boots. (I am female.) The top can layer under a sweater for daytime casual wear. When it is really cold at night, I wear the long underwear under a flannel nightgown. And of course it makes fine pajamas just on its own.