Author Topic: What website builder would you recommend?  (Read 3929 times)

RickiRick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What website builder would you recommend?
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:19:51 AM »
I am an illustrator. Mostrly I sell on some stocks. But recently I've got an idea that it woulb great to create own site, where I can post my works. And maybe, in the future I will be even able to sell my images through it. My friend says it is waste of time and money. But I've heard some website builder can do help. Has anyone used some? What one would you advice?

And, indeed, is it good idea with creating of this site?

plog

• Bristles
Re: What website builder would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:50:17 AM »
Wordpress. It's free, a big community, tons of themes. 

As for a good idea, I'd say yes.  It's not going to make you any sales, but it will acts as a portfolia/brochure for what you do.  You can easily refer people to it to demonstrate your talent.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 07:09:46 AM »
I've been using Bluefish, but I don't think that's what you're asking for...

RickiRick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 07:49:34 AM »
Wordpress. It's free, a big community, tons of themes. 

As for a good idea, I'd say yes.  It's not going to make you any sales, but it will acts as a portfolia/brochure for what you do.  You can easily refer people to it to demonstrate your talent.

Thank you for reply! I'll read more about this. Also, while I was waiting for answers, I've found this site with reviews of website builders http://https://www.bestadvisor.com/website-builders . Now will try to decide, what to use.

RickiRick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:51:47 AM »

Thank you:) I followed the link. Firts, what scared me there was word "advanced". I'll read more this info to understand deeper.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 08:15:51 AM »

Thank you:) I followed the link. Firts, what scared me there was word "advanced". I'll read more this info to understand deeper.

You would need to know HTML, CSS, and [probably] some JavaScript. It's not really that hard (see W3Schools), but will take a lot longer to get a nice looking, fully functional web site if you're starting from scratch. Also, I'm a software engineer, so my idea of what's easy might be biased.

You should select your web host independently of your content management system. There's really no reason to pay for a content management system, as there are plenty of free options. WordPress is a popular one.

The best site I've found for web hosting recommendations is researchasahobby.com.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:20:44 AM »
If your main motivation is to gain a bit of an audience, have you considered posting your work on Instagram or Dribbble? Later down the road, you can setup an etsy shop or something to that effect to sell your artwork. This path is more effective and much easier than building your own website.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:46:38 AM »
If your main motivation is to gain a bit of an audience, have you considered posting your work on Instagram or Dribbble? Later down the road, you can setup an etsy shop or something to that effect to sell your artwork. This path is more effective and much easier than building your own website.

This sounds like good advice.

I've had a couple of websites over the years, and I like WordPress.  I've hosted it myself, on ICDSoft.  I hear good things about Bluefish, though.  I've been on ICDSoft for something like 15 years, though, and I don't think they've ever raised the price, so I'm not complaining. :)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 04:07:13 PM »
I've got my parents on a Jimdo. Super easy.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 05:00:11 PM »
If you go the website route and with Wordpress ...

The best builder is Beaver Builder ... Elementor is pretty good too.

You will need a theme though ...  Best theme is GeneratePress or AstraAstra

Both are pretty good. Astra is the fastest theme meaning you will ge better SEO.

Also in terms of hosting, SiteGround is probably the best in terms of shared hosting.

They are super fast, reliable ... they are one of the few suggested by Wordpress.org itself - others like pagely etc are more on the expensive side.

links are affialiate but you can use directly. Siteground is just very very good

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 07:17:55 PM »
One of our clients uses this software, which is geared towards photographers, artists, etc. I'm not sure of the cost or whether they also provide hosting (our client pays for Rackspace hosting), but it is actively being updated and the main developer is very responsive to requests.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 11:49:43 AM »
 I build websites for a living. PM me :)