Author Topic: What type of wet cat food do your cats like?  (Read 11459 times)

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
What type of wet cat food do your cats like?
« on: January 03, 2017, 03:04:26 PM »
My little kitty was sick after Xmas. We're not sure why - but she suddenly stopped eating. We took her to the vet, spent a bunch of money, and the vet told us she had a stomach ache. Ha. Ha. We have no idea why. So she got some pills and a few cans of what the vet called "The Bland Diet" (Hill's Prescription Diet i/d) to feed her while she recovered. Given it's unattractive name, I assumed my cat would not like it, but actually she did.

Kitty is doing much better and is back to her old self. But now she's looking for the wet food meal when she's hungry, and seems to prefer it to her dry food. It seems like the right time to switch her to a more wet-food oriented diet.

Her dry food is Blue Buffalo Freedom Indoor formula - a grain free concoction with reduced calories, because she tends to be a little fat.

She's fond of Fancy Feast, but we've struggled in the past to find her a good quality wet food that she likes. She is least likely to enjoy cat food that looks like real food and most likely to enjoy cat food that is basically just candy with cheese flavoring in it.

What brands do you (and your cats) recommend?

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What type of wet cat food do your cats like?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
People like the taste of McDonald's too, but we all know we shouldn't eat there ;)

My last cat and my current cat have both had grain-free restricted diets, so they've primarily been on Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen line for canned.  My last two cats actually were on canned food alone for the last few years of their life, and Weruva was the best bang for my buck, plus the pet store would let me order a case at a discount.  I've also ordered it online.

Tiki brand is my favorite treat food - there are whole chunks of fish, squid parts etc.  My cats have always gone completely bonkers for anything in that line. 

Canned food in general is more spendy than dry per serving, but there are a few brands that come in the bigger cans like dog food (Weruva is one of them).  If she's been doing well on Blue Buffalo it should be a pretty easy transition, but I've always mixed the two together for at least a few weeks until they get used to having only canned and not feeling hungry all the time. 

I'm glad your kitty is feeling better!

Edited to add- read labels - not all foods are nutritionally the same (as I'm sure you know and hence my McDonald's comment).  My cats so far have lived to 21, 23, and 19 so I'm a huge advocate for a good diet.  And dental cleanings ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:33:37 PM by katscratch »

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
My little kitty was sick after Xmas. We're not sure why - but she suddenly stopped eating. We took her to the vet, spent a bunch of money, and the vet told us she had a stomach ache. Ha. Ha. We have no idea why. So she got some pills and a few cans of what the vet called "The Bland Diet" (Hill's Prescription Diet i/d) to feed her while she recovered. Given it's unattractive name, I assumed my cat would not like it, but actually she did.

Kitty is doing much better and is back to her old self. But now she's looking for the wet food meal when she's hungry, and seems to prefer it to her dry food. It seems like the right time to switch her to a more wet-food oriented diet.

Her dry food is Blue Buffalo Freedom Indoor formula - a grain free concoction with reduced calories, because she tends to be a little fat.

She's fond of Fancy Feast, but we've struggled in the past to find her a good quality wet food that she likes. She is least likely to enjoy cat food that looks like real food and most likely to enjoy cat food that is basically just candy with cheese flavoring in it.

What brands do you (and your cats) recommend?

Our cat eats the shit out of fancy feast.  We gave her Blue Wilderness once, and she would not touch it.  Then we read some media about the dark side of Blue Wilderness, and believed our cat could smell the taint in it.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 04:50:08 PM »
My last cat and my current cat have both had grain-free restricted diets, so they've primarily been on Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen line for canned. 

Actually, I won a fancy cat-themed basket and a few Weruva wet-food pouches were in it. She usually eats it. It looks a bit too much like real food for her to eagerly dig in, but she generally gets to it and finishes it. I think I know where they came from locally, so I can stop in and try a couple of cans.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
My cats are on a raw diet, but my backup food (which they were eating for a while) is Nature's Variety Instinct.  It's good quality food and my cats like most of the flavors.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 05:00:28 PM »
Our cat eats the shit out of fancy feast.  We gave her Blue Wilderness once, and she would not touch it.  Then we read some media about the dark side of Blue Wilderness, and believed our cat could smell the taint in it.

We used to feed ours Blue Wilderness dry and it was working out great for a couple of years. Then I opened a new bag one day and one of our cats refused to touch it. She acted like it was the devil. We couldn't even do the normal mix-to-a-new-food because she refused to touch the new food if it was touching the Blue Wilderness. That's how we even ended up on Blue Freedom - I was just hoping it was close enough that she'd eat it without getting disrupted. It's the same brand, so I can't imagine it's that much different - but whatever - she was happy that the Devil Food was gone.

Lovelife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 05:23:33 PM »
I would do raw if I could afford it, but I have found a wet food that's grain free and free of anything except meat + vitamins/minerals. Which has helped my cats stomach/reflux issues greatly. She eats 1 1/2 cans a day and I supplement with the same grain free brands dry food (though it does have vegetables in it) when she is extra hungry.

Not sure where you live, but I've only seen this brand in Kroger's so I think it might be their brand though I'm sure Amazon/online would have it. In Ohio it's .69 a can. :)

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 05:40:59 PM »
Not sure where you live, but I've only seen this brand in Kroger's so I think it might be their brand though I'm sure Amazon/online would have it. In Ohio it's .69 a can. :)

What's it called? We have Dillons, which is owned by Kroger and carries its brands.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 05:54:10 PM »
With "our" cats plus rescue cat plus foster cats, we have 6 cats total.

We currently rotate between Fancy Feast pate versions* and MaxCat for wet food.  We also put out dry for grazing purposes and for dry we use Merrick Before Grains versions.

Edit to add:  Except for when we fail to plan ahead, we buy most of our pet food from Amazon.  With Prime shipping, it seems competitive.

*we only buy the pate versions because ingredient wise, they're all mostly just meat.  The gravy versions seem like a lot of filler crud.  This said, we have 2 cats that won't touch the pate versions that have chicken or turkey in them.  "Ewww, no thanks.  I'll eat tomorrow.  Yuck."  So, we have to juggle who gets what.  Pain in the ass.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:59:11 PM by Spork »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
I walk around the pet store and grab 2 cans from each stack I see at random until I have enough in the basket for one trip. My cat loves the variety and I've only had one or two "misses" in a few hundred cans.

If you buy the small cans it's not a huge investment to try a few different brands/flavours and see what kitty likes.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 06:11:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about your kitty's stomach issues.

We feed le petit wet food mostly with some grain free dry food for any overnight eating. I am a bit of a paranoid robot so always feed her a high protein, low carb diet. We feed her Weruva "Cats in the Kitchen" and recently a new one we found called Wild Calling. She is starting to not like Weruva and LOVES the pate of the Wild Calling. Before Weruva, we fed her Tiki, but she got tired of that too. Thankfully, she has never had any health issues and always has good blood tests. I wish you good luck with kitty.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 08:06:14 AM »

I'll add a personal anecdote on the tummy issues.  We had a cat with some sort of tummy/digestive issues.  We finally solved this by switching the protein in the food.  In other words, we read labels and would find a food with a single protein (chicken for example).  We fed it for a week... if no change, we switched to another.  Eventually we found one that did not cause issues and we fed him that until he died of old age many years later.  We never had those issues again.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »

I'll add a personal anecdote on the tummy issues.  We had a cat with some sort of tummy/digestive issues.  We finally solved this by switching the protein in the food.  In other words, we read labels and would find a food with a single protein (chicken for example).  We fed it for a week... if no change, we switched to another.  Eventually we found one that did not cause issues and we fed him that until he died of old age many years later.  We never had those issues again.

This is the first time in 8 years that she's been sick. We have two theories - 1) She ate something that came in with Christmas (string? other foreign object?). We found no evidence (and nothing showed up on her X-Ray except an irritated stomach and GI tract), but the timing is right. 2) She was exposed to a chemical. Two days before she got sick, an object in our home was cleaned and the cleaning product smelled pretty strong. But our other cat was not sick - so it kind of goes back to her eating something foreign again - possibly something with this cleaning product on it.

Wish we knew so we could stop it from happening in the future. :( But she seems to be recovered now.

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 09:44:55 AM »
We feed our cats this awesome grain free wet food.. our local amazing pet store carries it but I haven't seen it at the big box stores. 
http://davespetfood.com/catalog/for-cats/can-for-cats/ 
Its the cheapest high quality wet food I have been able to find.  I think its $1.19/can at my store for the 5.5oz (normal size can). 

We try to feed more wet than dry as my male cat got a urinary blockage last year that almost killed him.. the limited dry food we feed has to be prescription now ($$$$) so the wet food is actually cheaper. 

Molzy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
I've actually found raw to be cheaper than high quality canned for our cat (about 10 pounds, 8 years old). He eats the primal frozen turkey, 3-4 nuggets a day, so we go through two bags a month for about $40. He does occasionally get dry when we're gone for a weekend. We add a little water and mash it into the raw to increase his water intake.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
Our cats aren't particularly fancy, so other than ProPlan, which is what the shelter fed them, they get tuna.  They LOVE tuna.  I get the store brand when it's on sale, and keep adding water so they drink up. 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »
Both of our cats vastly prefer cheap kibble to anything else, but we make them eat wet food because our boy kitty is a sensitive soul and starts to pee on things if he doesn't get enough fluids. I alternate between Max Cat, some other natural brand with peas and carrots in it (neither of which they really like) and Friskies, which they think is a bit better.

I have to put a couple of tablespoons of kibble on a plate and cover it with the wet food. If there's any kibble showing, they'll just eat that.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 12:04:38 PM »
Sorry about kitty's stomach ache. My cats have been known to poop out ribbons :)

When dearly departed cat was sick we had to start feeding her and her brother Hills c/d. Now surviving brother demands a little wet food every night. After trying all kinds of stuff, we realized he was only eating Friskies Shreds! So, we stuck with this and now feed him and his new brother a treat every night. I know it's junk food, but a 5.5oz can lasts us 3 days for 2 cats, so they get less than 1oz each per day. The rest of the time they eat Iams Hairball Care.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 12:14:25 PM »
I've actually found raw to be cheaper than high quality canned for our cat (about 10 pounds, 8 years old). He eats the primal frozen turkey, 3-4 nuggets a day, so we go through two bags a month for about $40. He does occasionally get dry when we're gone for a weekend. We add a little water and mash it into the raw to increase his water intake.

Another vote for Primal. Tau goes through 2 bags of frozen beef and salmon formula per month, 3 nuggets/day, ~$42 per month. 11.5 lbs, 6 years old. Supplemented with crunchy treats and bonito flakes. She was 18 lbs on cheapo kibble, dropped to 11.5 lbs after 6 months of Primal. Has more energy, a softer coat, and poop that doesn't smell!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
Edited to add- read labels - not all foods are nutritionally the same (as I'm sure you know and hence my McDonald's comment).  My cats so far have lived to 21, 23, and 19 so I'm a huge advocate for a good diet.  And dental cleanings ;)
Do you brush their teeth at home too? Or just cleanings at the vet? How often do you get cleanings?

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »
Okay, can I jump in on this thread and ask what is a good kitten food to buy for the two new kittens that we are adopting next month?  They have just been eating Purina Kitten chow and Friskies shreds so far, but I don't know how healthy that is compared to what else is out there (likely not very).  I will buy some of the food they are feeding now and gradually transition to something healthier.  They are Maine Coon kittens if that matters. 

I figure you guys might have some good mustachian healthy brands that you may have had experience with. 

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »

Another vote for Primal. Tau goes through 2 bags of frozen beef and salmon formula per month, 3 nuggets/day, ~$42 per month. 11.5 lbs, 6 years old. Supplemented with crunchy treats and bonito flakes. She was 18 lbs on cheapo kibble, dropped to 11.5 lbs after 6 months of Primal. Has more energy, a softer coat, and poop that doesn't smell!

I got excited about this Primal thing because one kitty is allergic to chicken so we feed both kitties a hypo-allergenic diet but I hate that stuff from Royal Canin.

I used the calculator on the Primal website to find out that we would need at least 7 nuggets a day for the two cats, which brings up our monthly total to ~$98? Hmm..

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 01:35:06 PM »

I got excited about this Primal thing because one kitty is allergic to chicken so we feed both kitties a hypo-allergenic diet but I hate that stuff from Royal Canin.

I used the calculator on the Primal website to find out that we would need at least 7 nuggets a day for the two cats, which brings up our monthly total to ~$98? Hmm..
Each formula is priced differently--that seems a little high. Like venison or rabbit high. Or maybe you were looking at the freeze dried? They are a bit more pricey.

It's more expensive than kibble, but it's a better value than many of the high-quality wet brands out there. It costs $2.80 per day to feed my cat Primal. Most wet cat foods require three 3-oz cans per day for a 10 lb. cat. So you would need to pay less than $.93 per can. I suspect it would be difficult to find a quality grain-free wet food for much less than that.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 01:55:09 PM »
My cats are currently on raw prepped by a friend, but they were on Primal for a while and I would recommend it.  I think each cat was eating 4-5 nuggets a day.  They loved the beef/salmon one!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 02:05:19 PM »
My cats are currently on raw prepped by a friend, but they were on Primal for a while and I would recommend it.  I think each cat was eating 4-5 nuggets a day.  They loved the beef/salmon one!

Because cows are the natural prey of the housecat, don't you know? The whole clowder comes together to take down a single beast, and then there is much feasting.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 02:06:52 PM »
Applaws or Weruva go down really well.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 03:30:00 PM »
Because cows are the natural prey of the housecat, don't you know? The whole clowder comes together to take down a single beast, and then there is much feasting.

You know your cats! :)

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 10:43:27 AM »
My cat likes Wellness brand wet food. We get the turkey kind.

I tried a different brand once that was on sale and had salmon instead of turkey, and he wouldn't touch it. Weird cat - who doesn't like salmon?

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »
I feed my senior cat Weruva. For a while that is all I fed her so I order the 6 oz cans from chewy.com. She was having flare ups with her chronic mouth issues (stomatitis) and it took a while to find one that didn't have large chunks that she wouldn't chew. The lamb borgini is the winner. Even now that she is on hard food, she gets a can a day and loves it.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 11:36:24 AM »
I had a bit of trouble finding (locally) a couple of the brands that were recommended. But I picked up Weruva and an assortment of others. Also employed Retire-Canada's shotgun approach and picked up about a dozen other cans. I'm going to have to keep a chart and a rating system and follow up to let you all know what's up.

Okay, can I jump in on this thread and ask what is a good kitten food to buy for the two new kittens that we are adopting next month?  They have just been eating Purina Kitten chow and Friskies shreds so far, but I don't know how healthy that is compared to what else is out there (likely not very).  I will buy some of the food they are feeding now and gradually transition to something healthier.  They are Maine Coon kittens if that matters. 

I figure you guys might have some good mustachian healthy brands that you may have had experience with.

The problem with the bottom of the barrel food is that kittens can handle the calories and filler and get a lot of exercise, so it's no big deal. But once they hit adulthood, it catches up to their waistlines. But it can be hard to switch to a higher quality food. Going grain free helps a lot to keep the weight off.

When I was at the pet store, I noticed that all of the higher quality brands mentioned here do have kitten food. Try one, go with it - if the poop seems super stinky like death, maybe try a different one.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 08:52:55 AM »
I've discovered that if I feed my cat wet food exclusively, I'm supposed to feed her 1 can per 3 lbs. She weighed in at 13 lbs and could use to lose a pound. 4 cans! That's kind of expensive... but still less expensive than children. I'm settling on 3 cans and a little dry food.

To round out our food story, Kitty was born into a litter of 13 kittens. Her formative weeks were spent fighting for limited nipple space. She eats quickly and immediately moves on to the next cat's food. Her desire to consume resources is part of how we knew there was a problem the moment she skipped breakfast. Her adopted sibling is a Gentle Cat - she only had two gentle siblings and a gentle mother and it takes her at least 15 minutes to consume a single meal. She has no love of food - she doesn't like treats or most wet food. Once there was a Fancy Feast Mornings food that had eggs and cheese in it and she liked that, but it was discontinued - just another in a long list of betrayals like door bells, fire alarms, thunder storms, closed doors, and the fact that we adopted Kitty in the first place.

This is important because if Kitty doesn't like her new wet food, she will immediately turn and steal Gentle Cat's food, and Gentle Cat will give up on eating because of the drama.

We've tried:

Nature's Instinct Salmon:
101 kcals/can, 9.5% protein

3/5 stars - Kitty liked this, but was begging for food only two hours later. It was not filling. It also had one of the highest calorie counts per can.

Muse Purina Chicken and Tuna:
53 kcals, 16% protein

2/5 stars - I liked the look of this. Kitty needs to lose some weight and this food has the highest protein content per calorie. It also appealed because it looked like real food - I saw a little shrimp in there, there were recognizable bits of meat. Kitty licked the gravy off and then immediately stole Gentle Cat's breakfast. She revisited the chunks of food a few times, but every time she took a look, she ran away like that shrimp was going to leap off the plate at her. Later, my husband says he saw her chewing the chunks, but she seemed to be chewing/sucking the remaining gravy out and spitting out the rest. That shrimp remained whole.

Muse Purina Chicken and Salmon:
53 kcals, 16% protein

3/5 stars - This one fared slightly better than the Chicken and Tuna, in that she didn't run away from it (I assume because there wasn't any shrimp). But she still didn't seem keen.

Weruva - Cats in the Kitchen packets - Mack, Jack & Sam (60 kcal, 9% protein) and Pumpkin Jack Splash (53 kcal, 9% protein)

5/5 stars - Nutrition on these is a little weird. The packets don't tell me the kcal content and when I looked it up the protein content listed on their website is slightly higher than what is listed on the packet. It makes it hard to compare these apples-to-apples to other foods.

All of the Weruva products have been a clear winner so far. Kitty likes them, they seem to be filling. She always revisits her dish for her leftovers instead of stealing Gentle Cat's food. She ultimately licks the plate clean.

Weruva - BFF canned food - Tuna and Salmon (65 kcals, 12% protein)

5/5 stars - Kitty enjoyed this. Sometimes Gentle Cat likes water drained from tuna cans, and she seemed moderately interested in what I was serving up, so I offered her some. She ran away from it like the UPS man was trying to deliver it to her. Oh well.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:37:14 PM by Cpa Cat »

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2017, 10:56:54 AM »
I never go by what the food manufactures put on their food can/bags/packets. I try to go by calorie needs for my pets. If I followed what the cans said, I would be wasting a LOT of food. Our cat does not eat a lot at all. Early on, we had a dry food problem and had to wean her off of binging on that stuff. Since then, she eats her high protein wet food and then gets a small amount of grain-free dry food late at night for her late night creeps.

Growing up we had a cat like your Kitty. That little dude would gobble up his food, then move on to his brothers food if they didn't guard it. If the others didn't eat their grub, we would put their food up on the counter, then guard the counter in case the little ninja popped up there. Good luck!

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 05:25:26 AM »
Ok.  I have a diabetic cat so my reply is flavored with this in mind.  He was diagnosed a year ago so we went through the gauntlet of finds the best food for him that he and my other two will eat and does not me gasp at the price.  I have a local pet store that carries a wide variety of foods, more than say a pet smart.  I recommend finding one like this and getting a few cans of this and that.   

The best cat foods are the ones that are Low carb.  Cats are obligate carnivores so they even more than humans thrive on low carb diets.  Not all "grain free" foods are low carb.  Instead of corn gluten a lot of them instead have potatoes or rice which aren't grains but are still not great for cats.  Just like with humans the fewer ingredients the better.  Low carb will also help keep weight in check.  All 3 cats have become leaner on their new diet.

Currently I mainly feed Merrick Limited ingredient Turkey.  They also will eat the Chicken version.  Fancy Feast Classic Pate's are actually pretty good for them.  (Not the ones with gravy the basic pates).  Wellness is good and reasonably prices when bought in the larger 13 ounce cans.  Other good brands, Tiki cat, BFF, Wild Calling, Weruva, Ziwipeak, etc.     

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 08:34:47 AM »
My system when Kitty initially declines to eat the new food is to leave it there for a couple of hours, and usually she'll return to it a couple of times and eventually eat it when she's hungrier. So I don't immediately just pick it up and throw it in the garbage when Kitty walks away.

Thinkum was also correct - Kitty does not need three cans of wet food a day. Two seems to do the trick and she's really not hungry for a third if she eats the two.

We tried a few more:

Purina Beyond, Spinach and Char - 2/5

She tried it, but didn't finish it.

Simply Nourish - 1/5

Finished even less of this one. I didn't write down the flavor.

Authority, chicken - 0/5

Refused to eat it. She swung back and tried it a little later, but it made her vomit. It has the distinction of being the only cat food to make Kitty vomit.

Blue Wilderness, Salmon - 0/5

Refused to eat it.

Nutro, Duck Pate - 0/5

Not only did she not eat this one, but she kept doing the "cat litter swipe" like she was trying to cover something up in the litter box. Message heard loud and clear from Kitty - this one smells like poo.

After these successive failures, my husband pronounced the wet food experiment a failure. I think he's suffering from recency bias. I just need to go buy more Weruva, which was Kitty's top rated food.

I've decided to return the rest of the non-Weruva cans that I have left, though. I don't like washing dollars down the sink.

Thus, the taste-test experiment is over.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 09:56:03 AM »
I feed Purina One dry (whichever flavor I'm on now, have had fun with mine lately).

Wet is Fancy Feast. Again, have had interesting times lately with flavors. However, whoever posted about the Pate, thanks. That's good info to know.

OP, if yours really likes the Hill's, try Science Diet. Same brand. Mine think Hills, Science Diet and Royal Canin are all cardboard, so I'm in trouble if I ever need to switch to a prescription food. There does come a point where it what they eat matters less than that they DO eat.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2018, 05:34:51 AM »
My cats really don't like wet food, and would happily stick to kibble, but the vet wants them to eat canned. So we do wet food with a little kibble sprinkled on it as an inducement.

They actually liked Fancy Feast the best, but the Old Cat has had some digestive issues in the last year, so I've done some trials and we've ended up with Hill's. They have a sensitive stomach kibble that works okay. They also have a sensitive stomach canned formula, which the cats absolutely hated, but the "Ideal Balance" line seems to work okay. Old Cat's tummy seems much better.

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
I did not read all the previous responses.  But I figured I would share my insane cat feeding story.

I have 2 cats both with atypical diet needs.

When I first got Oscar (male, 6 yrs old) I had him on hills science indoor cat food and let him and his sister Dakota (5 years old).  Oscar is the type of cat that tends to overeat and was generally overweight.  Oscar ended up developing bladder stones and actually had one block his urethra.  After an emergency surgery and hospital stay his diet had to change.  I switched to the dry version of the prescription diet for stones.  No feeding problems, but after a check up  a few months later he was still developing stones.  I had to switch them to the wet food.  He refused to eat the wet food to the point of starving himself, loosing 4 lbs in less than a month and getting a feeding tube.  As soon as the feeding tube went in he decided to eat.  Like literally ate his next meal and never needed the tube.  Luckily he saved me the removal surgery by removing it himself.  Anyway at that point the wet was lets just try to get him to eat any wet food.   Him and his sister started fancy feast and were doing great for like a year.  Then she started vomiting up food.  After much testing nothing was really determined.  Possible allergy or just an upset stomach.  At that point she was switched to a limited ingredient prescription.  It was ok but I really could not afford it.  After researching several brands and cost ratios per calories.  I switched them both to Natural Balance LID Duck.  According to many things I have read cats are more likely to have allergies to fish and chicken.  Duck, venison, and rabbit are typically used for LIDs, but the duck is the most limited.  It took some tough love but both my cats  have been on this for a couple years now and are healthy.  It is still expensive, but definitely cheaper than the vet bills.

My vet is very reasonable and understands finances are different for each person.  Basically wet is better than dry, but you can only do what you can afford.  In the end cats are very picky creatures and it may just come down to what they will eat.

Razzle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 04:41:58 PM »
I also feed mine Fancy Feast Classic and he loves it.  When I adopted him from the shelter, they sent me home with the dry food they'd been feeding him for the few weeks he was there.  I continued with that food, but he gained way too much weight for his small frame and became really lazy.

I did some research and found an article that suggested Fancy Feast Classic as a good low-carb food, switched him over and he's back to a perfect weight. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 05:21:23 PM »
Guys, this post is a year old.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2018, 07:48:14 PM »
For wet food, pate formulas of Merrick and Halo.  For dry kibble, Science Diet.  When the furriest has hair ball spells, I add a dash of olive oil to his wet food. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!