Author Topic: What to tell my supervisor when giving my 2 weeks?  (Read 6988 times)

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What to tell my supervisor when giving my 2 weeks?
« on: October 14, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »
I'll start by saying that I really enjoy my job (software), my work environment, and I feel like although I'm a junior member of the team, I am a pretty hard worker and get a lot done.

However, for a variety of reasons, I am moving far, far away from this horrible city, and with it, quitting my job. I've spoken with a few companies in the city I will be moving to, and both said something along the lines of "I'm confident that if you just come here and start applying you'll have a job in no time. But, we can't afford to wait for you to get here." Every job I've seen comes with a SUBSTANTIALLY higher paycheck than what I receive now.

I'm guessing many of you have had the experience of leaving an otherwise pleasant job for FIRE, having children, or whatever. I'm a people pleaser by nature and I am worried that after giving my 2 weeks, it will be an awkward time around the office. 2 other developers have recently left the company, and I expect that the remaining employees will be scrambling to make deadlines after I quit. I feel bad about leaving at a busy time in the company, when other developers will have to absorb my work.

What can I say to my boss and coworkers to make this period go smoothly? It's not a question of IF or WHEN i quit my job. I'm giving my 2 weeks on Friday. I just want it to go well and not burn any bridges in the process. Advice?

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What to tell my supervisor when giving my 2 weeks?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:36:52 PM »
Be honest and tell them you are moving and if you could move the company with you, your wouldn't quit. Maybe not the last part, but definately be honest.  There not much more to it. 

Do your best while you are there and don't worry about what people think.  They way to handle the next two weeks will have more of an impact that anything you can say right now.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »
If you really like the folks, consider giving a bit more notice to give them time to fill your position.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 02:47:14 PM »
Here's some great advice from Ask A Manager - http://www.askamanager.org/2007/08/leaving-job-gracefully.html

(Hope this isn't a duplicate message - user error in replying).

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
Since you are a dev, why not see if you can take your job with you to the new city.  It's pretty common.

Any time you put in your notice, there will be folks that make it awkward for you, and others that shake your hand and wish you the best.  All you can do is turn over as much knowledge as you can and try to make it a smooth transition.  Unless you are a sole proprietor, the company will survive without you and they know this.  Don't dance on your desk singing "fuck this place.' 

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »
I had to tell my manager that I will leave the team last year.
It was hard as I really liked the team and the manager and the job and everything, but I decided I have to try to see how it is in another country.
I talked with my manager and told her my reasons and also that I did not start looking for jobs yet, I just decided I want to leave the country.
I am now in the same company, in the same division, in a team which is a sister team of the one from my home country, but in a different country.
I am still talking with my former manager for both work related topics and outside work topics and I hope I will keep in touch with her for a long time as I had a lot to learn from her.
Plus a lot of support in my career.

Even if your company does not have a presence where you want to move, just tell your manager that you decided to move from the area.
If she/he asks let him know if this has something to do with the team/environment/company.
Make sure you do a good job on handing over your work.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »
Since you are a dev, why not see if you can take your job with you to the new city.  It's pretty common.

Any time you put in your notice, there will be folks that make it awkward for you, and others that shake your hand and wish you the best.  All you can do is turn over as much knowledge as you can and try to make it a smooth transition.  Unless you are a sole proprietor, the company will survive without you and they know this.  Don't dance on your desk singing "fuck this place.'

I've considered doing remote... However, I don't like the idea of sitting at home all day working alone. Also, I'm not exaggerating when I say every job posting I've seen is offering at least 20k more than I make presently.

Good idea about turning over knowledge. For some reason my company has a policy about not commenting code. Guess I'll just have to write up some word documents.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 03:47:47 PM »
For some reason my company has a policy about not commenting code.

Leave, leave today.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
I've left jobs for the following reasons:
  • Raises getting way behind level of responsibility (new job offering much more)
  • Owner of small company a little crazy/incompetent and sales pipeline dwindling
  • Too long of a commute
  • Doing almost nothing at a job
  • Moving closer to my gf (now wife)

While the owners of very small companies tend to be a little shocked / taken aback by someone leaving, any medium or larger company accepts it and moves on. While I'm not really "in touch" with a lot of previous employers, I felt like I left on good terms. I gave two weeks notice, I created documentation (if need be) upon leaving, and when resigning, I didn't say anything bad about my current employer (or what was so great about the new place - which I don't mention unless they insist on asking, and even then I'm hesitant.) In most cases, I printed a very basic letter of resignation following this format:

Please accept this letter as formal notice of my resignation from my position as Professional Title. My last day with the company will be Friday, May 30.

Please be assured that I will do all I can to assist in the smooth transfer of my responsibilities before leaving.

I wish both you and Company Name success and I would like to thank you for having me as part of your team.

Sincerely,

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 04:47:17 PM »
My resignation emails have always been short and direct.

"Monday the 19th of October will be my last day.

Regards, bacchi."

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 05:02:53 PM »
I am also highly wary of companies that have strange policies that no one can explain the reasons for.  Shows entrenched ways of thinking/doing things that may lead in negative directions. 

Wow, you hit the nail right on the head! Many of my (younger) colleagues complain about this. some of them do it daily!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 05:08:25 PM »
Here's some great advice from Ask A Manager - http://www.askamanager.org/2007/08/leaving-job-gracefully.html

Yes, this is excellent advice.

Some people will treat you exactly the same way as before. Some people will express their regret that you're leaving, and may want to have lunch or coffee. Some people will immediately act as if you no longer exist. All you can do is be polite and professional, and do your best to hand off your projects in good order.

If you want--you could offer to work remotely for (say) one more month. This would give you an income cushion while you look for a job in your new city. However, only do this if you WANT to. There is no obligation to do so. Don't do it for free, either.

I quit a job with 2 weeks notice. My predecessor in the job had given about 3 days notice, and so had one of my coworkers, so I felt pretty good about giving them 2 weeks. My boss acted as if i had dropped dead. She completely ignored me--until my last day, when she wanted all the information about everything. From other people, I got quite a bit of positive feedback. Since I hated my boss and was quitting in part because of her, it was all good. :)

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »
I am also highly wary of companies that have strange policies that no one can explain the reasons for.  Shows entrenched ways of thinking/doing things that may lead in negative directions. 

Wow, you hit the nail right on the head! Many of my (younger) colleagues complain about this. some of them do it daily!

Hmm, so in the end did they have a good reason for not allowing comments for the code?
I could think of some reasons, but I am curious :).

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 08:24:41 PM »
Since you like them, I would probably stroke them a little:

"I really loved this job, this team, <insert nonsense item> the cookies in the break room...but I've always wanted to move to xx city and life is short: I'm sorry but I'm going to have to give  you two weeks notice.

If our company had a presence in xx city I would never quit, but since you don't...I'm afraid we will have to part ways. In an effort to make the transition as smooth as possible for both of us, please let me know as soon as you can if there are any project deadlines or reports you will require. My last day will be: xxxx."

The more you stroke, the better they'll talk about you when you give them as a ref in the new city.

Good luck!

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 09:31:08 PM »

Hmm, so in the end did they have a good reason for not allowing comments for the code?
I could think of some reasons, but I am curious :).

The phrase "self-commenting" gets used a lot. Descriptive method/variable names are sometimes enough to understand what code does in simple cases. They also enforce a lot of conventions and layout so that, for better or for worse, a lot of the code looks the same.

There are a few reasons comments aren't 100% necessary. But, I don't know many people who would say well-written comments don't make code better.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 11:18:20 PM »
Well, I echo what was said above, tell them you are leaving because you want a different space, bigger challenges, and more money. Just be honest. Every time I've done this I came away with a raise, a promotion, and a 'better' cube. If you really are working below your potential, they will raise you up. If you aren't, or if they can't afford your true worth, they'll shake hands and wish you well.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 08:30:07 AM »
A few years ago when i last gave my 2 weeks notice. I was honest and said i found a new job and was giving my notice. I thanked him for everything, always leave on positive terms. I was however leaving for a competitor so per HR protocol I was walked out the door and given 2 weeks pay. I did not mind, got paid for the 2 weeks i was not there.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »
Tell them that you're leaving because of the location, and that the job/company/team was one of the few positives for you in your current location. If they offer remote work as an option instead of resignation, tell them the truth: You would need a 20% raise to meet the market rate of where you are going.

This shows that you are not burning bridges, and if they don't want you to leave it puts the ball in their court to make you stay with the company.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
My boss acted as if i had dropped dead. She completely ignored me--until my last day, when she wanted all the information about everything. From other people, I got quite a bit of positive feedback.

I had a very similar experience from my manager, with whom I'd enjoyed a very friendly relationship. Because I felt bad about leaving him high and dry, I gave three weeks notice (1 extra week).

He re-assigned all of my work on day one and then refused to say so much as "hi" to me in the hall.

I very much regretted giving the extra week. It really dragged on and things were awkward.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:55:31 AM by Cpa Cat »

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 09:38:11 AM »

I've considered doing remote... However, I don't like the idea of sitting at home all day working alone. Also, I'm not exaggerating when I say every job posting I've seen is offering at least 20k more than I make presently.

Good idea about turning over knowledge. For some reason my company has a policy about not commenting code. Guess I'll just have to write up some word documents.

Can you work remote until you find your next job? Give your company time to find someone else. Give you time to get settled in. It is much easier to rent a place, etc... if you already have a job.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 10:13:03 AM »
My boss acted as if i had dropped dead. She completely ignored me--until my last day, when she wanted all the information about everything. From other people, I got quite a bit of positive feedback.

I had a very similar experience from my manager, with whom I'd enjoyed a very friendly relationship. Because I felt bad about leaving him high and dry, I gave three weeks notice (1 extra week).

He assigned all of my work on day one and then refused to say so much as "hi" to me in the hall.

I very much regretted giving the extra week. It really dragged on and things were awkward.

I had a similarly bad experience when leaving my last job a few months ago for the one I have now. My previous supervisor was extremely supportive of my professional development. He provided many training opportunities and choice assignments specifically to help develop my skills for the next level, and we spoke often about my professional advancement goals.

Well, all this effort paid off. My supervisor had three months' notice (because I was moving from an overseas location back to the continental US), and I thought it would be a great time, celebrating this success (which he had a hand in), and facilitating a smooth transition of my duties. I could NOT have been more wrong. My supervisor turned bitter and resentful of my leaving, to the point where other employees were calling out his bad behavior towards me in meetings and such. He put off the transition of duties until the last minute, and even denied some of the time off I requested to get my affairs (house sale, packing, etc) in order for the move. It was a nightmare.

My suggestion is to give your two weeks' notice, have a killer transition plan (you already mentioned writing up information on your projects) and be honest and professional both in your resignation letter and in your actions during those two weeks.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 12:36:44 PM »
Well folks, my manager is taking the day off tomorrow, so I guess I'll be giving my 2 weeks this afternoon! Thanks for all the advice. This will be my first time resigning from a professional job (every other job I have had was seasonal or work study).

Wish me luck.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »
Well, it's done.

Actually went much better than I anticipated. I've been talking to some coworkers that I was thinking about moving, and so I guess it came through the grapevine, and my manager wasn't surprised at all. Actually very supportive!

So thanks guys.
Peace!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!