Author Topic: What to suggest a work bike club do for commuters  (Read 3926 times)

BigRed

• Stubble
What to suggest a work bike club do for commuters
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:34:43 PM »
There's a bike club at work, which receives some corporate funding, and currently seems mostly focused on subsidizing recreational rides.  I'd like to suggest things they could do to promote more bike commuting.  We have bike lockers and I've got some interest in stocking some tools and supplies so people could do minor repairs at work.  I don't know what else to suggest, though.  Anyone with any ideas?

StarryC

• Bristles
Re: What to suggest a work bike club do for commuters
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »
Are there showers/ changing spaces?  If not, maybe that, though that is a big change.  Perhaps see if the company can negotiate with a nearby gym for a group rate for locker-room only memberships or something?    Maybe sponsor a "ride your bike to work" day once a week/month with a lower dress code for those who do?  (Assuming you have a business dress code).   

I've also worked places where they paid for parking or bus pass, but just paid you $100 cash if you rode your bike to work.  Also, at that employer if you had a bike or bus pass they told us that they would give us taxi vouchers if we felt we needed to go home sick or for an emergency.   I think knowing there is an "emergency" back up they don't have to pay for would make people more comfortable riding to work.

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 05:16:39 PM »
We get pre-tax reimbursement of up to $125/mo on mass transit, and there's a gym a few blocks away that we have access to.  I asked about getting bike maintenance or purchase as a fringe benefit, which I've seen elsewhere, but they said verification on that is too much of a problem.  Also, you apparently can't receive a bike benefit and a mass transit benefit simultaneously, or so says the IRS. 

We have it pretty good, which is why I'm trying to figure out what else I can suggest, because apparently I'm the "Commuter guy" who actually goes to the bike club meetings.  So, there's a decent chance I can get something if it has a reasonable cost.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:04:19 PM »
Also, at that employer if you had a bike or bus pass they told us that they would give us taxi vouchers if we felt we needed to go home sick or for an emergency.   I think knowing there is an "emergency" back up they don't have to pay for would make people more comfortable riding to work.

I believe our local mass transit agency offers this, but I think a person has to sign up in advance as a commuter.  Hopefully others can watch for this option.

No ideas for OP, sorry!  Good luck!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
Are you comfortable being "The Commuter Guy"?  If so, you could host a meeting of people with any sort of tangential interest in bike commuting - answer common questions, have the major bike routes on a map, be prepared with handouts regarding common tips and myths. 

Depending on the funds/size of the company, you could have one or two bikes available to borrow for lunch trips, lunch break errands. 

I like the spare tools idea - inner tube, spare headlights, batteries, etc.

Is there already a weather protected and secure bike rack?  If not, that is also a big commuter concern.

Do a commuter challenge for the roadies - they already bike in traffic. 

ScottEric

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »
I would love to get this going at my workplace!  I've been trying to plant a similar idea for a while.

I've seen some offices offer free tune-ups onsite from a local bike shop.  They just set aside a few spaces in the parking garage for the shop to set up in.

desrever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
Loaner lights / fresh batteries / battery charging station. Loaner locks (more useful than you might imagine, many people don't keep locks on their frame until their pattern is well established). Emergency stash of toiletries (think spray deodorant & wet wipes, or travel sizes) for the days you forget to bring yours. A mirror in the bike cage is incredibly practical. Our workplace has a van-based bike mechanic come in a couple times a year for free tune-ups for bike commuters -- it's an awesome benefit, and spendy, but probably cheaper than the property tax paid on the parking space for other employees' cars.  Our company also has a scheme where they make a donation to a charity of your choice once a year, based on the number of days you bike or walk to work.

You can offer / organize rides to work from some hub location, to make people comfortable with commuting. People just starting out have very basic questions and need to be told, "yes, it's possible."

A company-branded bike helmet or messenger bag are a great pieces of swag. Much better than bike jerseys (superhero costumes).

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
I like the idea of free tune ups.  That would be awesome.  I will definitely suggest that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 07:49:01 AM »
Are there showers/ changing spaces?  If not, maybe that, though that is a big change.  Perhaps see if the company can negotiate with a nearby gym for a group rate for locker-room only memberships or something?    Maybe sponsor a "ride your bike to work" day once a week/month with a lower dress code for those who do?  (Assuming you have a business dress code).   

+1!

One of the biggest hurdles to bike commuting for many people is not having easy access to a shower.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!