Author Topic: What to get a minimalist mustachian for Christmas? ~$10-20  (Read 13646 times)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
Re: What to get a minimalist mustachian for Christmas? ~$10-20
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2016, 02:51:17 AM »
This is a great idea in general, Villanelle, but LJ clearly stated that there would be shipping involved.

Sorry, I think we were evolving in to a general gift idea thread!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2016, 08:55:47 AM »
This is a great idea in general, Villanelle, but LJ clearly stated that there would be shipping involved.

I think you're both right! It's true I'm trying to think of things that are easily shipped. But I love all mustachian minimalist low-cost ideas :D

And pumpkin spice is soooo popular. I live near a Lindt Outlet (dangerous!!) and they have new pumpkin spice chocolates that pair nicely with the pumpkin spice tea I picked up :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2016, 09:53:20 AM »

I'very been known to get cranky when folks answer as if they've missed a key aspect of the OP's question. The point that it needed to be ship-able for minimal cost (i.e. mustachian) was the twist that made this thread a challenge.

Personally, I loved your suggestion and am itching to try it as soon as I score a deal on some pumpkin. (Also, if you haven't tried whole nutmeg grated with a fine grater, you are missing an amazing olfactory sensation.) I have a lot of previously canned jam plus a bunch of cute little cloth bags from the dollar store that hold just two jars, plus a whole extra case of sale-purchased small canning jars. Your recipe could be just the ticket for me, but then I won't be shipping these bags, I'll be using them as hostess gifts and the like.

End of digression; now back to Lifejoy's original question.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2016, 04:07:23 PM »
Thought of one that is actually easy to ship: seeds for flowers or herbs! Not sure if that's your ILs style though. And depends on whether Canada has strict quarantine - there are some things we can't ship between states here.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »
Ok I'm going to stop individual quote responses because I'm on my phone and only know how to do them one by one and I don't want to clutter up this thread. But I am so utterly impressed by the amazing responses on this thread!!!! Wow!

You guys are making me so happy :)

I looooove gifting (it's my love language) but I don't want to break the bank and I have to admit, I prefer to give minimalist-type gifts because so many people in my life do not want more STUFF.

Beautiful ideas. Keep 'em coming!

I made my dad 3-4 of his childhood favorite "goodies", packaged them and added a nice note card (I could not find an old photo of him from his childhood, but that would have made for a nice card, too).

Just remembering what he likes, and the fact that he does not get things like "date slice" (matrimonial cake), apple cake, his favorite fudge, fig pudding, etc often made him very, very happy, and feeling like Christmas.

Bonus -- he only got about 1/3 of each batch, the rest was for my family.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2016, 08:23:21 AM »
Hario hand crank burr grinder (for coffee beans) and a french press = super foodie coffee experience.

Ha, I just did this EXACT combo as a wedding present. Alternate to the french press is a single cup metal pour over cone. We're loving ours.

or the hand crank and an aeropress! a little more $, but it is the PERFECT setup for a coffee lover who travels and needs to pack their equipment

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »
You could donate the cash to a charity they support and let them know in a home made card. You can easily find out what causes they find worthy.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2016, 05:15:38 PM »
Desk calendars - the kind with a tear off page for each day.  Lots of funny cartoon ones, or I bought my mom a Jeopardy one with a question every day because we always watch Jeopardy together.  Often on sale cheap at Barnes and Noble or Costco around the holidays.

See's chocolates

DVD of a favorite movie

Magazine subscription

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2016, 08:26:47 AM »
Oo we added my dad to our apple radio subscription. It didn't cost very much and he LOVES it.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »
I'd say home baked food, but if you have to mail it that doesn't always work out!

The gifts my in-laws have always loved the most that we've mailed them have been foods local to the area we were living at the time. Examples: a few bags of Kona coffee when we lived in Hawaii, a box of miscellaneous Japanese sweets when we lived in Japan

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2016, 09:51:56 PM »
Oo we added my dad to our apple radio subscription. It didn't cost very much and he LOVES it.
brilliant! This gave me the idea for another family member - subscription to crunchyroll, like Netflix but for anime & Japanese drama.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!