Author Topic: What to do with VHSes?  (Read 5378 times)

mining_melancholy

What to do with VHSes?
« on: October 31, 2014, 01:17:42 PM »
Hello.

My organization has a large amount of VHS tapes (between 200 and 400) that must be disposed of. Many are still in their original, paper sleeves. Some are in plastic containers.

I will not throw them away because of the extreme waste and potential hazard. However, the nearest recycling center that will accept them is two hours away.

Are there any suggestions from people who have disposed of large amounts of VHS tapes before?

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: What to do with VHSes?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:27:07 PM »
Wait until you or somebody you know is headed to the place two hours away for some other reason and tote them along.  Two birds with one stone.  Personal rule of mine, I try to add a secondary benefit to everything I do.

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
Bonfire!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 03:51:48 PM »
Ebay?

Or just pay a company to come take them away. There are environmentally friendly companies who do electronics recycling. They ship the electronics to China, dig a hole, and put them in the hole. As opposed to at your local landfill.

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »
See if any are collectibles on ebay.  In the past I've sold some that were collectors items.  But for the rest I'd try to donate them to a charity organization.  YMMV.  Good luck!

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »
Save for 500 years when they will be worth billions.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 11:14:16 AM »
If any are educational, you could donate them to a needy school.  There are plenty of low-income schools who still use VHS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 03:24:45 PM »
Drop them off at Goodwill.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »
Ebay?

Or just pay a company to come take them away. There are environmentally friendly companies who do electronics recycling. They ship the electronics to China, dig a hole, and put them in the hole. As opposed to at your local landfill.

Eh, take out the middleman and get some exercise: Dig the hole to China yourself. It's more badass!

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »
What hazard do VHS tapes pose if trashed? I'm not trying to be a dick, just curious.

-W

mining_melancholy

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 07:32:04 PM »
What hazard do VHS tapes pose if trashed? I'm not trying to be a dick, just curious.

-W

It's something to do with the chemicals used on the tapes. They are not officially labeled "Hazardous Household Waste," but the chemicals used to coat the tapes isn't the best thing to go tossing out if better options exist.

To fill everyone in, I plan to call the our mother organization and let them know about it. Technically, all this belongs to them, so they should have a policy for its removal. If I am asked my opinion, I will propose that the board watch the original Wickerman and draw influence from it.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
Off topic but this is another one to file in the bucket of "sounds I will never hear again"

- The noise a VCR makes when it rewinds a tape.

If any are educational, you could donate them to a needy school.  There are plenty of low-income schools who still use VHS.

I find that very sad. DVD and Blu Ray players are so cheap nowadays.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 07:30:56 AM »
We collect vhs tapes.  Are these movies or blank?  Around here they sell for 50 cents retail or 50 bucks for 200.   It is cheap entertainment.  Walmart still sells the players.