Author Topic: What to do with totaled car?  (Read 3583 times)

nedwin

• Stubble
What to do with totaled car?
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:20:02 AM »
I was recently in an auto accident.  Everyone is fine, just bruises and sore muscles for a couple days.  My problem is what to do with the car.  It was totaled, is not drivable and is being stored at a tow yard, probably for some daily fee.  I did not have collision insurance on the car, so its disposal is my responsibility.  The tow yard does not purchase cars like that.  They suggested I sell it to a local scrap yard.  I called the scrap yard and they will purchase it for scrap for $125/ton, but I have to get the car to them.  It's a honda accord, so it weighs somewhere around 3,000 lbs, meaning I would get less than $200 for it to.  This probably will not cover the charge to tow it to the scrap yard.  Another option is to donate the car to NPR or some other non-profit organization that accepts wrecked cars, but I will probably have to pay the storage fee until it is picked up.  I'm leaning toward donating it.  Are there any other options I have not thought of?

DarinC

• Bristles
Re: What to do with totaled car?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:10:36 AM »
Donating is probably the best option at this point. If the car was on your property, you had the time, and you had access to a pick-up or another car with a trailer, I'd suggest parting out what you could and cutting up the rest for easier disposal at the scrap yard, but that doesn't sound like an option for you.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
Do you know anything about cars? If so and you're willing to get it towed to your place, you could sell it yourself part by part (the parts that still function, anyway). That will take time though. Otherwise, just donate it.

unpolloloco

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:20:31 AM »
I assume it was your fault?  If not, it's not your call what to do with it - the at fault party's insurance should pay you the value of the car and take the car.

If it was your fault, talk to the tow yard and see what happens if you leave it there or if you can just sign it over.  I bet you'd have to pay to have someone tow it to the scrap yard (tow fees + storage fees are probably more than the scrap value).  This assumes 1) you don't want to try to part it out (you'd probably make a few bucks this way), 2) it's not a late-model car (you could probably sell it privately for a decent amount of $$) and 3) it's not drivable in its current state (either you could drive it or someone else could buy it from you and drive it)

usmarine1975

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
We took ours to a Junk yard and Got 250 bucks for it.  Does depend how bad of shape it is.  Mine was somewhat drive able.  Junk Yard might pick it up if you give it to them.  Not sure.  ASAP would be of the essence if it is your responsibility tow truck places make money storing cars.

nedwin

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 02:19:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  My options were limited, I could not work with an insurance company to dispose of it and don't have the time/energy/space to part it out myself.  I ended up calling the scrap yard again and got a better answer then before - they will tow it after all.  I sold it to the scrap yard, netted $150.

On another note, those tow companies that show up at accidents are extortionists.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »
Glad it worked out.  Start keeping an eye out for a fellow in the neighborhood with a BIG utility trailer and a good work ethic.  Once identified,  slowly chum them up so they don't know anything fishy is going on, then next time you run into something like this give them a call! 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!