Author Topic: What to do with regular lightbulbs?  (Read 5607 times)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
What to do with regular lightbulbs?
« on: February 20, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »
I have replaced most (if not all) of the lighbulbs in my house with either LEDs or CFLs and am left with a whole bunch of various lightbulbs - some that I took out of my light fixtures and some that I had as replacements but ended up not using.  Is there anything that can be done with them, like donating them?  If not, any suggestions on how to dispose of them safely?  I'm assuming they should not be just thrown into regular garbage.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: What to do with regular lightbulbs?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 12:34:39 PM »
Offer them up on freecycle or try to sell them on craigslist?  Those would be picked up within the hour if I put them on my freecycle.

NathanP

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:52:51 PM »
I would trash them. The incandescent bulb is not an item of value that should be fully utilized.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 01:14:49 PM »
If you have to use them up to be at peace with yourself, use them in the winter.  The heat they create will offset whatever heat source you use.  Maybe not 100% efficient, but not too awful either.

You can also use them to provide a little bit of heat in places with pipes prone to freezing, ie utility room/basement/crawl space.

Use them in closets or rooms you really never go into anyway. 

Or wait until you can no longer find them and sell them on ebay for ridiculus amounts!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »
Regular incandescent lightbulbs are just made of a little bit of glass and metal. Unlike CFLs or LEDs, they are not hazardous waste (AFAIK).

I suggest saving them for use when you need a heatball. ; )

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 01:27:04 PM »
Just sell them (or give away) on craigslist/freecycle.  Not everyone is rich enough to run out and replace all their light bulbs at will and would definitely jump at the chance for free/cheap bulbs.  If you want to trash them just throw them in the trash can as, unlike the newer bulbs, they are not hazardous waste nor can they be recycled (at least in our district).  Personally, I am just using up my bulbs and replacing with cfl/led as they wear out.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 01:29:23 PM »
They're really good for small, short-term heating.  If you have under cabinet plumbing in an outbuilding you don't want to freeze... stick a 100W lamp in the cabinet.

I'm not sure you need a big pile of them for this... but they're safe and effective.

My in-laws used to have one in their well pump house.  They'd turn it on for really cold nights.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »
It's a sunk cost...I'd use them.

PEIslander

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 01:52:13 PM »
Now this one goes back to my childhood ----> Use the old traditional bulb to make a puppet head. Wrap the bulb with paper-mache (old newspaper strips soaked in flour & water paste) to form a bulb-like shape that will be the basis of a puppet head. You can form noses & eyebrow ridges etc with the paper-mache. Once it is good & dry, break the bulb & remove (and dispose of) all the glass out of the "neck". Paint the paper-mache, add a wig, and a cloth body complete with two little sleeve-like arms. You then use your puppet by putting your hand inside with index finger in the head and thumb & middle fingers in the respective arms. Your puppet is now ready to keep you company or entertain. Make two and you can do a "Punch & Judy" show.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »
Now this one goes back to my childhood ----> Use the old traditional bulb to make a puppet head.

If we're talking about arts and crafts now, I suggest building a ship in a lightbulb:

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 02:27:06 PM »
I am not looking forward to the day when I can't use incandescents anymore in my overhead lighting. Nothing else works very well for dimming in the fixtures I have at my apartment and as a renter, spending $10/bulb for 14 LED bulbs is not my idea of money well spent.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 02:29:53 PM »
I am not looking forward to the day when I can't use incandescents anymore in my overhead lighting. Nothing else works very well for dimming in the fixtures I have at my apartment and as a renter, spending $10/bulb for 14 LED bulbs is not my idea of money well spent.

Eh, just make your landlord replace the bulbs when they burn out. ; )

(I joke, but depending on the law and your rental agreement your landlord might actually be responsible for that.)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 02:34:55 PM »
I would trash them. The incandescent bulb is not an item of value that should be fully utilized.

This. Or use them in locations where they are only on for a minute or two every few weeks. They're energy hogs.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 02:38:26 PM »
The puppet and craft suggestions really cracked me up ;-)

I would rather give them to someone who will use them than throw them in the trash so I think I'll offer them for free on Craigslist.

PEIslander

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »
This link might inspire a creative or practical use for your old bulbs...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=uses+for+old+lightbulbs&safe=off&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=EcDnVM_dC8LnsASJsICYDg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=955#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=uses+for+old+light+bulbs&spell=1

I thought the various Christmas tree decorations pictured look pretty interesting. I'd bet a crafty person could add some value to their old bulbs & sell for a profit at a craft fair or have some frugal gifts.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:21:11 PM by PEIslander »