Author Topic: deleted  (Read 2980 times)

henders

deleted
« on: August 03, 2014, 12:31:35 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:29:20 PM by henders »

resy

• Bristles
Re: What to do with oversupply of clothes and kitchen stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 12:40:57 AM »
Hmm... I am having the same problem. I take clothes to local shelters but what about the other stuff as you mentioned? Have you tried consignment stores that might take them? What about giving it to a couple in need you may know(kitchen stuff)?
These are the things I've come up with so far.
Last option is the local thirft store, the donation is tax deductable anyway.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 08:43:45 AM »
Sometimes when I know I should get rid of stuff -- but I hesitate -- I employ the "one year strategy".  That is, I put the items into a box marked with today's date, and I put the box on the top shelf of my closet.  If in one year I haven't needed the items in that box, I give it away to Goodwill.  I do not open the box because that might entice me to rationalize keeping it.

Note:  I have never yet put anything away for a year and ended up keeping it. 

Additional note:  Are any of these things re-giftable?  If so, I'd keep them. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 08:53:17 AM »
If you are part of any larger groups, IRL or online (like a church group, a parenting group or a workplace whose culture would allow it), I would start mentioning that I have surplus to give away...especially if there are group members who are younger or just starting out. When I was just out of grad school, I ended up with a couch, a full set of dishes and a whole wardrobe of nice shoes from people who were downsizing and delighted to have someone take their things. Plus it makes it ok to discuss such things in the group culture.

I have also done well by putting things out in a group space (like the work kitchenette) with a sign "free to a good home." People who might be too shy to ask for things will take them. I used to live in a neighborhood where you could get rid of anything with a "free" sign. Unfortunately that is not allowed in my current 'hood...

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
In one word

freecycle.org

Find your local freecycle, post an offer and there will be someone to take it off your hands.

I just put out some kitchen stuff, it was gone in an hour.