Author Topic: What to do with old kitchen faucet I removed?  (Read 12823 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
What to do with old kitchen faucet I removed?
« on: April 15, 2015, 11:11:15 AM »
Hey all,

I've read around that it's best to recycle them but I'm not quite sure where - we have a hazardous waste center in our city and there are always e-waste sites (and also e-waste days at work). But for what is essentially scrap metal, what is the best thing to do? We have recycling bins that are collected every Monday but I'm guessing it's probably not something to throw an old faucet into. I don't want to go too far out of my way either just for a single faucet. Any ideas?

curler

• Stubble
Re: What to do with old kitchen faucet I removed?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »
Your best bet is probably to call your city and ask them.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:35:31 AM »
I put mine in a box with a sign "FREE please take them"
out on the curb
and they were gone within a few hours ;)

you could also try freecycle.com

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:38:43 AM »
Do you have a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store near you? We brought in our old bathroom sink, not sure if they'd want it. But they took it and said someone would make use of it.

littleturkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 11:55:06 AM »
You could put it in the craigslist free section.

I once had a bunch of shrubs I hated.  I put them in the craigslist free section and people came to dig them up for me!  :)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 12:06:05 PM »
You could put it in the craigslist free section.

I once had a bunch of shrubs I hated.  I put them in the craigslist free section and people came to dig them up for me!  :)

lol, I think I tried doing something like this before gutting my yard a while ago of several Birds of Paradise. No takers though :( Man, they were a $%&!! to remove but I did get a good workout every weekend for the course of a month or two. Hahahaha.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 01:31:23 PM »
You can put anything metal in the recycling bins, your city will thank you for the free money.

In my rural area, we save up our scrap metal and haul it to the recycler once a year or so. Some folks make a living doing this. Anything with copper usually does very well.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 09:24:24 AM »
You can put anything metal in the recycling bins, your city will thank you for the free money.

In my rural area, we save up our scrap metal and haul it to the recycler once a year or so. Some folks make a living doing this. Anything with copper usually does very well.

That's a great idea! But what kinds of places would I take scrap metal to where I can get paid? Would the city know? Or do most 'recycling centers' pay out for this kind of stuff?

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 10:05:44 AM »
Google "scrap metal <your city and state>" and you should get a few hits. Most of those places have "scrap" or "recycling" in their name. The spot price is volatile, so if you do this often you'll wait for a full load and then watch the price until it rises to a level that seems worth it. I have a friend who does a lot of construction/rehab work, and he's constantly coming into beat up old cast iron tubs, 1960's era furnaces, rusted cast iron radiators, etc. He drops it on a corner of his farm and when the price gets up there, he shuttles all the scrap to the yard.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
Google "scrap metal <your city and state>" and you should get a few hits. Most of those places have "scrap" or "recycling" in their name. The spot price is volatile, so if you do this often you'll wait for a full load and then watch the price until it rises to a level that seems worth it. I have a friend who does a lot of construction/rehab work, and he's constantly coming into beat up old cast iron tubs, 1960's era furnaces, rusted cast iron radiators, etc. He drops it on a corner of his farm and when the price gets up there, he shuttles all the scrap to the yard.

Nice! It's too bad because I went and donated another old faucet (which I was considering installing because it was in pretty decent condition) to Goodwill a while back. Had I known about this I would have waited... ah well. I'll see what's available in my area then. I don't think I saw that much... or if I did, it wasn't very close to where I am.