Author Topic: What to do with Linked in profile after retirement?  (Read 1523 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
What to do with Linked in profile after retirement?
« on: September 11, 2019, 04:41:27 AM »
Hi.

Very regularly (bimonthly or so) I receive contact invites or emails via Linked in from recruiters who want me for some job in a location where I don't want to work. This generates a bit of hassle=stress for me, because I need to let them know I'm not interested.

From January I want to FIRE, but sell it to my employer as a sabbatical for the first year.

What should I do with my Linked in profile? Just delete it? Or can it somehow be paused, just in case FIRE doesn't work out and I need to go back to work in the same profession at a later stage? As long as I have the profile, I could perhaps use it for some side gig. But I would like to stop that stream of recruiters.

I see that Linke din has an option to save your profile to PDF, so then at least it can be reproduced manually later if necessary, presuming I don't loose the file.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
Re: What to do with Linked in profile after retirement?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 04:48:41 AM »
There are some steps you can do to quiet your profile, without declaring retirement.  You might be able to recreate your profile information from PDF, but I would imagine you don't want to have to recreate your network.  (i.e. send invitations to them all on a new profile)

It's changed since I set it up--I remember there used to be a group of checkboxes about what you wanted:  recruitment, getting in touch, etc.  But here is a view of the current setting.  So, for a start, turn that off.  Is it just these professional headhunters you are concerned with, or also informal contacts through your network?  I would imagine you could also change your headline to "on sabbatical," as a start.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 05:38:58 AM »
There are some steps you can do to quiet your profile, without declaring retirement.  You might be able to recreate your profile information from PDF, but I would imagine you don't want to have to recreate your network.  (i.e. send invitations to them all on a new profile)

It's changed since I set it up--I remember there used to be a group of checkboxes about what you wanted:  recruitment, getting in touch, etc.  But here is a view of the current setting.  So, for a start, turn that off.  Is it just these professional headhunters you are concerned with, or also informal contacts through your network?  I would imagine you could also change your headline to "on sabbatical," as a start.

That one is already on "no" and that doesn't appear to help.
I have now changed everything to "no", so maybe I won't appear in searches anymore.
But you're right, I should probably write Sabbatical on the top and hope that they will respect that.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 05:47:46 AM »
What should I do with my Linked in profile? Just delete it? Or can it somehow be paused, just in case FIRE doesn't work out and I need to go back to work in the same profession at a later stage? As long as I have the profile, I could perhaps use it for some side gig. But I would like to stop that stream of recruiters.
I would just leave it up. Recruiters know that that vast majority of people they reach out to on LinkedIN are not going to switch companies. Just responding to their inquiry is probably more than they receive from most people.

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 06:34:45 AM »
Leave it and just don't respond unless it's someone you actual know or deal with. Many of the recruiters are just mass mailing people who don't respond. I believe you can also go into your settings and make your profile non public visible which means only people connected to you can message you

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 07:38:19 AM »
Leave it as is, disable email notifications about new messages. Don't log on to your LinkedIn account.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 07:42:33 AM »
After the LinkedIn hack, where everyone's information, passwords, everything was stolen, I thought about it.  Decided my next job is going to be no job and deleted my LinkedIn account.  I've not regretted it.  If some recruiter want's to pay me 4 times what I make now, they can track me down.  I have had a couple people I know contact me to ask if I'm still at my job, seeing my account go away.

This wasn't quite as easy as deleting my failbook account several years ago.  That was simply a waste of time and a useless account.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 09:36:54 AM »
I own a 3rd party recruiting firm.

Leave your profile. Be flattered that people are reaching out twice a month.  Delete the emails and don’t reply to the messages.  This should cause you 0 stress.  None. Zero. Zilch.

The response rate, like actual replies to messaging, from LinkedIn messages or messages with requests to connect, is less than 5%. We expect no reply. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 10:27:24 AM »
I still have "self employed" and the best approach is to turn off emails and check it once/3 months if you feel like it.

I also get recruiters asking me to work full-time across the country even though the top of my profile clearly states that I'm only interested in short-term contracts that are remote or local. The recruiters are just doing word searches.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 08:43:14 AM »
I'm baffled you feel the need to reply, frankly. Unless these are professional contact you know personally or would need to use in the future, it's just junkmail.

Like contact a company that sends junkmail and saying, I'm not interested in your as-seen-on-tv product.

If they don't hear from you, they know the score.