Author Topic: What to do with broken baby swing?  (Read 5103 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
What to do with broken baby swing?
« on: January 13, 2016, 02:18:49 PM »
Hey guys,

Our friends let us borrow their swing and it broke not long after we started using it for our kid. I tried a DIY fix on it and ended up making it worse (I tried replacing the motor and ended up burning out the circuit board that controls it). Now it's rendered inoperable (unless I can find a replacement circuit board) but even then it's still not guaranteed as the motor I was trying to DIY-replace still doesn't seem strong enough to make the swing work. And even more so, by the time I actually would get the thing fixed,  our kid will likely have grown out of it (I guess if we have another kid, it might come in handy but at this point, it's probably not worth it).

What should I do with this thing? I don't think I can donate it because Goodwill doesn't seem to accept baby items that *might* have recalls. Should I just trash it? Bring it to my local e-waste facility? Or leave it by the trash bin or in front of our garage with a "free to take" sign on it (we live in a condo neighborhood/association so you see everyone's garage and this type of thing being relatively common). I'm not inclined to try DIY fixing it anymore at this rate.

COlady

• Bristles
Re: What to do with broken baby swing?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 02:24:08 PM »
Let me guess....it's one of those Fisher Price cradle swings???

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »
Let me guess....it's one of those Fisher Price cradle swings???

LOL YES! Our friends had it for at least 5 years and it had been passed around to several of their friends and back to them before coming to us. I spent $7 on one of those Airwick motorized fresheners to pull the motor out and attempt to replace it myself. It didn't initially work well so I fiddled with it more and ended up screwing it up even worse. Now it's just sitting around taking up space.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 05:40:57 PM »
I'd break it down into what can be recycled and what's trash then dispose of both at the appropriate place.