Author Topic: What to do with an old motorbike?  (Read 1431 times)

travel2020

• Stubble
What to do with an old motorbike?
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:38:49 AM »
Hello MMMs!

Looking for ideas/suggestions.

I have an old motorbike (90s Honda Shadow - see photo) that I’ve had for ~8 years. It has been parked in the garage for the last couple of years. Overall condition is good though it may need some effort to get going again as it’s not been used for a couple of years. KBB suggests value in the range of $1500-2000 or so.

I’m not particularly interested in trying to sell it on my own for various reasons e.g. most likely will need some work to get going again, it no longer has active registration or insurance, so can’t really have people out to test it even if fixed, etc.

I did contact a couple of local bike shops that do consignment sales but didn’t get much interest. Are there any national companies ( like tred and carmax for cars) that buy motorbikes?

I’ve heard of donating vehicles and looks like some organizations like Habitat for humanity also accept motorbike donations, so that’s another idea I’m looking into.

Any other ideas/suggestions? Of course, I wouldn’t mind getting some $$ for it, but having it put to some good use would be an equally acceptable outcome.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
Re: What to do with an old motorbike?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 06:37:07 AM »
I sold a moto on our local CL equivalent that I had taken apart for a project and not put back together. I sold it for asking price and the guy came with a trailer to get it. So if you want to get some $$ for it I would not let the fact it's not running dissuade you. Obviously you have to price it accordingly, but getting $1K you can dump into your investment account isn't a terrible outcome in addition to getting the garage space back.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 06:51:36 AM »
I sold a moto on our local CL equivalent that I had taken apart for a project and not put back together. I sold it for asking price and the guy came with a trailer to get it. So if you want to get some $$ for it I would not let the fact it's not running dissuade you. Obviously you have to price it accordingly, but getting $1K you can dump into your investment account isn't a terrible outcome in addition to getting the garage space back.

+1. Lots of folks who are into fixing up bikes also have trailers. It's a great hobby for many people because it takes way less space and usually less $ than working on vehicles. If it's in good condition, you might not need to list below $1500. It's common to see bikes listed online saying "running 5 years ago before I parked it". It's usually just a battery and carb cleaning and it's good to go. Some people even flip bikes specifically like yours.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 07:32:40 AM »
try rumbleon.com.  They will ask for some pictures and specifics, make an offer, then show up with a check.  I sold a bike there two years ago.  I did not get as much as I might have through a private sale, but it was low hassle.

travel2020

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 02:07:13 PM »
Thanks for the ideas! I’ll try rumbleon first as that seems like the simplest option.

max924

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 05:55:40 AM »
I would at least try to start it, those old shadows are pretty good bikes. I would not be surprised if a freshly charged battery is all it takes to get it running. If it at least starts for a prospective buyer you probably raised your value by $500 or so...

If it needs more than a battery than may not be worth your time at that point, just sell as others stated above. Looks fairly clean from the picture. You would find a buyer pretty quick I would think, if priced reasonably. Lots of people looking for little projects like this.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 01:48:56 PM »
Honda's are pretty bullet proof, shouldn't take much to get it going.
I'd get it running good and sell it through Craigslist or similar.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »
It's worth $250-500 not running and probably $1500-2000 running.  Have you tried jump starting it? 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 06:40:08 PM »
Buddy and I both sold our Shadows very quickly.  People love 'em.  Post it and be prepared to accept a wad of cash.

travel2020

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 06:49:56 PM »
Rumbleon didn’t work - just got a form reply that bike is too old or not a good fit for a cash offer.

I’ll try to start it this weekend and see how it goes. Looks like a private for sale listing is the best option at this point.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 03:16:49 PM »
I truly hate to say this, but you could probably put it on Facebook marketplace and sell it for $800-$1k in a day. Have a title and bill of sale ready. People will start pinging you "is it still available" soon after you post.