Author Topic: What to do with a $200 Nordstrom Gift Card?  (Read 4804 times)

marcela

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What to do with a $200 Nordstrom Gift Card?
« on: February 17, 2017, 09:13:16 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 04:10:39 PM by marcela »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: What to do with a $200 Nordstrom Gift Card?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:18:35 AM »
Nordstrom has a great shoe department and great sales. If it were me, I'd use that money to get a pair or two of well-constructed boots.

MrGville

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »
Is the gift card valid at Nordstrom Rack (basically their outlet store)?  I've gotten good shoes there for as low as $25. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:28:38 AM by MrGville »

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 09:28:02 AM »
Worst case scenario you can sell the gift card maybe at like 90% of the value. There's a few online stores.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
I believe there are websites where you can sell your gift cards for a slightly discounted price.  Sorry, I don't have links, haven't used them myself. 

You could also offer it up on CL or kijiji or something like that at a discounted price, or see if a friend would like to take it off your hands, or swap for a gift card they received.  (My mom and I have done that!)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »
Nordstrom's rack if you can, as mentioned.

On good sale, I've lucked out for: jeans, shoes, bras.

Otherwise for partial value you can sell on a website like cardpool.com

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »
There are websites where you can resell giftcards for a % of the face value. For name brands it's usually 75-90%. Some of these sites look dumpy but, I've done it a bunch and never been ripped off.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
Nordstrom has a great shoe department and great sales. If it were me, I'd use that money to get a pair or two of well-constructed boots.

I'd 2nd this.  They carry the shoes I wear for work (dress boots) which are pricey at least initially but last "forever."

BrickByBrick

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »
https://www.cardcash.com/

Looks like they would give you $166 for the card.  This website buys it from you first, then sells it to consumers, and they make money on the spread.

Other websites connect you with a buyer, you can usually keep more of the value on those sites, but you may not sell it as quickly.

Only other thing would be to find a friend who shops at Nordstrom's and sell it to them.  Maybe try the OfferUp app locally.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 11:47:08 AM »
Nordstrom does have excellent online customer service.  You might be able to try something on elsewhere and then order it from Nordstrom.  I bought a half price Patagonia vest from there last year.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 11:47:28 AM »
Set up an alert for "Nordstrom's" on www.slickdeals.net

Their regular prices are ridiculous but they have some nice clearance sales.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »
Nordstrom has moved to a free shipping/free returns model.
So you can choose to order things just to try them on; return them if they don't fit.

I often order multiple sizes of things from stores that do this and return the ones that don't work for me.

Companies offer this because they hope people will forget to return things. But being mustachian, you won't.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »
Do you wear good bras?  If you know your brand and size you can order when they go on sale.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »
You could always go with some basics like bras, underwear, socks, leggings, tights, belts, purses, jewelry, activewear, homegoods(?).... Things that aren't as critical size wise.  Yeah, you're still going to pay more than you're use to, but, hey, it's free money.
And as someone else mentioned, they do have a good return policy online.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 01:14:16 AM »
My MIL got me a $200 Nordstrom gift card for my birthday. I don't shop at Nordstrom and the closest one is in a city two hours away. Not even the city 2 hours away that we visit often. I cruised through their sale section and am having a hard time finding something I like at a price that doesn't horrify me. I would much rather have $200 to spend on bills or, if I want to stay in the spirit of the gift, on some of the lovely things on my amazon wishlist which gets asked for year after year and then promptly ignored.

Any thoughts on how to best do this?
Yes. A brick and mortar store might be two hours away, but nordstrom.com is as close as your computer. They have sales on the website, too. And it's not your money. I hope the "horror" you felt was not communicated to your MIL. Did I mention it's not your money? Worst case, you could use it to buy something your MIL might love for her birthday or next Christmas.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 07:45:09 AM »
You could always go with some basics like bras, underwear, socks, leggings, tights, belts, purses, jewelry, activewear, homegoods(?).... Things that aren't as critical size wise.  Yeah, you're still going to pay more than you're use to, but, hey, it's free money.
And as someone else mentioned, they do have a good return policy online.

Bras DEFINITELY do have to be a critical size! Most women actually wear the wrong size thanks to misinformation online and stores like Victoria's Secret measuring people wrong. Finding out my actual size was life changing, but now it's difficult to find any store that sells that size...