Author Topic: sabbatical before FIRE  (Read 1682 times)

letsdoit

• Bristles
sabbatical before FIRE
« on: June 18, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »
we're thinking of taking a sabbatical before FIRE is reached, and returning to work after the 2 year (or however long ) trip ?
I want to do it with my fam before we get too old. we wont be ready for FIRE at that point 
has anyone done so, retiring for two years, travelling, and returning to work?  anyone thinking of it ?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: sabbatical before FIRE
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 03:18:19 PM »
So, not actually a sabbatical, in so far as your job will not be waiting for you when you get back? Just checking. My husband also uses the term "sabbatical," just because he doesn't want to have a conversation about his age or how he can afford to do it.

There are a number of threads, many using the phrase "mini retirement."

I have personally watched too many people leave in good times, then be job hunting during a recession. That is fine if you have several years expenses saved up, a bit more troublesome if the plan is to spend what you have then go back to work.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 05:07:16 PM »
yes, not a sabatical bc we'd have to recreate our whole lives upon returning , no job waiting for us

peeps_be_peeping

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 06:17:38 PM »
Yes, I did this recently. I spent 2 years "funemployed" or "preretired" from 11/14/15 to 10/31/17. I quit my job but kept my house. No kids; no life partner; dogs stayed with my parents. It was worth it though of course I would have been closer to FIRE if I had stayed at my job.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 07:12:22 PM »
Yes, I'm in the midst of a finely tuned plan right now.

I'm actually going to take 2 distinct gaps in retirement before pulling the plug for good.

First a 4 month stint next summer, and then a 6-9 month sabbatical to travel SE Asian, Europe, and possibly Central/south America in 2020.

It will be tough getting back into work after even 6-9 months off in my field. A pay cut and subsequent 2-3 years of FT work and current savings rate get me to my desired 25X spending for our household.

ETA - I'm journaling the whole process and doing it on a lot less $$$ than most people think you can.