Author Topic: Mustachian Caribean Resorts  (Read 3120 times)

BrickByBrick

• Stubble
Mustachian Caribean Resorts
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:39:12 PM »
Anyone have a mustachian way of going about booking a Caribbean resort for two?  Any cost-savings recommendations?  Recommended booking websites?  Any mustachians have a particular Caribbean resort to recommend that they've stayed at before?

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian Caribean Resorts
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:13:54 AM »
I'm not usually a resort person, but I did stay at a couple of resorts on St. Croix using skyauction.com a few years ago. I had lived on the island and had seen the resorts in person and knew people who worked there, so I had some idea of what I was getting into. One was the Buccaneer, which is more centrally located. The other one, which I like better, is called Carambola, which used to be privately owned and was sold to Marriott a few years ago. (It's now the Renaissance St. Croix Carambola.) So if you have Marriott points, or if you can find a deal on it somehow, that might be a good option if Skyauction doesn't work out.

Book in the off-season if you can, or at least the shoulder season. Go to less popular islands like St. Croix. I also love Grenada, although I haven't been there since 2002, which was pre-major-hurricane. (How did all that time pass so quickly?! I need to go back again!) Roatan is also gorgeous and frequently overlooked because it's waaaay over in the western Caribbean. It still has plenty of Caribbean flavor, though. Beautiful resorts there, or you can rent an entire 3-bedroom house on the beach for a month for $900, which is what I did.

Now that AirBnB exists, unless you really want a resort for some reason, I'd probably look into that first.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:57:34 AM »
A lot of people rent their timeshares. Here's a site we've used for the Westin resort on St. John, USVI - http://www.stjohncondos.com/

Check the specials for best deals. If you see something you like, call and ask for a discount. Many renters are just trying to cover the maintenance charge.

Timeshare User Group has rentals all over the place - www.tug2.net

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:17:07 AM »
Following...

(not meant to hijack...) I've never been and would really like to spend time there (but not so much in a resort, unless it is really quiet and easy to get away from people).  I mostly want to rent a quiet place where I can walk to the water and do some snorkeling (so Roatan and St. John are both on my list, as is Culebra, based on the recommendations of my brother, the world traveler).

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
I'm not the resort type either.

Would you consider a cruise?

Or others have said, there are some really unique places to stay on Airbnb.  I once did a cruise to a bunch of island nations in the Caribe and would most like to return to Dominica.  The nature was so great there.

If you are set on a resort, I have heard Dominican Republic has abundant and reasonably priced resorts.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
If you are a Costco member, I'd suggest looking at their travel packages.  They are very competitive for Hawaii, so I assume they'd be the same for the Caribbean.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »
http://www.bookvip.com/

stumbled across this site during a recent bachelor party hunt for affordable options.  seems to be pretty great for the AI crowd at 50 bucks per night per person

BrickByBrick

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:17:32 PM »
Thank you everyone, I will look into all the links and suggestions.