Author Topic: What to do when starting up a new hobby?  (Read 4468 times)

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
What to do when starting up a new hobby?
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
I'm going to start card crafting - not a hobby that is simple or inexpensive to start out but once you have everything in place it shouldn't involve much maintenance (as long as I keep my desire for new things down). I do hope to eventually start selling the cards I make but since that's not a guarantee, I'm not counting on it. They will be used for the multitude of birthdays we go to, baby showers, gifts, etc. But I'm not expecting to break even on my outlay.

I'm wondering how a mustachian would have gone about starting a new hobby like this. I did look at craigslist but there wasn't much I needed on there. I'll keep looking for new dies, papers, etc.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What to do when starting up a new hobby?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »
This might be a place to start:

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/crafts/crafts-basics/naturaldyes.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Paper

Often there's a way to cheaply make stuff that just takes some time and planning.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:54:50 AM »
card-making is one of those crafts, like scrapbooking, where you can spend a LOT of money if you're not careful.

and the worst part is that if you just mix-and-match store bough supplies, your cards will end up looking like everybody else's! in which case, what is the point of making them yourself? (this is a pet peeve of mine! the homogenization/corporatization of crafting!! but i digress.)

i would say, set yourself a budget, and try to substitute creativity instead of purchasing stuff. challenge yourself to make the coolest cards you can with what you already have on hand.

like, instead of purchasing patterned papers, why not try making patterns of your own using your computer and printer, or using pencils / paints / pastels you might already have.

instead of using (ridiculously expensive) self-adhesive dots or double-sided tape, use regular glue applied with a small sponge or brush.

use wrapping paper remnants, graph paper you already have, pretty pages from magazines and catalogs ... check the thrift stores for old wallpaper, children's books, old encyclopedias ... cannibalize old cards for images ... use fabric remnants, ribbons, lace, string, yarn ... you probably already have tons of stuff around your house that would look great on a card.

when you DO buy things, spend your money on supplies that can be used for multiple projects. for instance, buy glitter and glue instead of special adhesive glittery shapes. (the one time adhesive stuff is where they really get you!)

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
Thank you - these are great suggestions! You sound like you know what you're talking about :)
I'm totally new to this craft but a good friend has been doing it for years and has provided guidance plus sending me a box of goodies. I love your ideas and agree about not wanting to look like everyone else. It seems no one close (in my area) does this so at least I don't have to worry about my cards looking the same as anyone elses for that reason.

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:41:57 PM »
I have had some different crafty hobbies and they can be a real money suck.  Like the others, I would recommend to start small and make sure that you really enjoy this  particular hobby before you invest alot of money and time.  If you need to purchase items - stores like Michael's or Jo Ann's can have 40 - 50% off coupons for one item that may help as you find it necessary to buy certain items.

Have fun!!

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:23:49 PM »
I have had some different crafty hobbies and they can be a real money suck.  Like the others, I would recommend to start small and make sure that you really enjoy this  particular hobby before you invest alot of money and time.  If you need to purchase items - stores like Michael's or Jo Ann's can have 40 - 50% off coupons for one item that may help as you find it necessary to buy certain items.

Have fun!!

That's exactly what I've done! My frugal crafty friend sent me links to Michael's coupons (so handy you can just show them you're phone) and also pointed me in the direction of a Joanne's sale. Having her is a huge help, of course I never would have started down this road without her....

Pollyanna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Financially aware, not yet financially independent
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »
I am a crafter so I have a weakness to get caught up in this.  I enjoy the creating, the friends I've found through it, etc.  It may be difficult to be restrained, but here are my thoughts.   If you can and enjoy it, create with friends where you can borrow tools, stamps, etc -- so you don't have to invest in every gadget.  Second, I did sign up to be a Stampin'Up! Consultant, which got me a good deal on a kit, and discount on my own purchases, as well as I sold to friends.  I held a monthly "workshop" in my home where I designed 4-5 cards and charged people to come make them (I provided materials) - I didn't make much on the workshop, but I enjoyed the creativity and the social aspect, and using up my supplies created the need to purchase more and keep my Consultant sales up.  Eventually I didn't need to buy more and I didn't want to make it a business (although you could), and so I fell below minimum sales requirements and got booted out - which was fine by me, it had served its purpose for me.  Also, if you tend to buy/send greeting cards, making your own is a big savings.  I also found while I was active in this, I always had an eye out for re-using portions of cards my family received -- cut off a card front, or a portion/design from it -- I saved mesh produce bags and bubble wrap because I could use it for an inked design.  My advise is invest in the things you will need as a foundation and use a lot, and then let your creativity fill the gaps. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!