Author Topic: What to do in Santa Fe?  (Read 3265 times)

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
What to do in Santa Fe?
« on: October 23, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »
Husband and I are going to Santa Fe for a last hurrah before the baby comes  I would love your mustache friendly suggestions on what to do and eat.  We are looking for low cost good eats, to view art and some light hikes and walks.  Bonus points if you know of anywhere that offers reasonably priced massages. I never pay for them but my back is starting to bother me.  We are staying within walking distance from the center of town and will have a car.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

chardog

• Stubble
Re: What to do in Santa Fe?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »
I would spend most of a day just checking out town.  There is hiking in the NF just up the hill toward the ski area.

The Jemez Mountains, Bandelier NM and Los Alamos are great for hiking and interesting Geologic, Pre-Columbian and Nuclear Age History with hot springs.
http://www.nps.gov/band/index.htm

The most recent massive wildfires happened since my last visit, so I am not sure how the impacted the hiking.

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:44:53 PM »
Our favorite mustachian things to do: 
--Eat at The Pantry
--Go to the Farmer's Market
--Hike the Chamisa Trail, Borrego Trail, Pecos National Historical Park trails, or  Natl Forest trails
--Visit a winery
--People-watch and window-shop everywhere

mchap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 05:15:20 AM »
There are tons of cheap eats there. We didn't have any really bad meals. Tecolote cafe for breakfast is excellent and it will get you through to dinner. Cafe Castro is good for the standard green chile dinner with sopapillas. Even some the touristy places on the plaza aren't really that expensive. We liked The Plaza Cafe.

I second Bandelier NM. I'd skip the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum unless you're a real art aficiandado. It's pretty small and spendy. My husband decided it wasn't worth it for him. Window shopping and people watching will fill a couple days.

Christiana

• Stubble
    • Zatera Ul
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 08:21:38 AM »
Personally I enjoyed the Georgia O'Keefe Museum, but I am from the middle of nowhere, which has no art museums at all.

johnnylighthouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
You might try the folk art museum and tent rocks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasha-Katuwe_Tent_Rocks_National_Monument).  There is also some nice hiking close to town at atalaya mountain or the dale ball trail system.

I would second the pantry, and also recommend Il Viccino for totally non southwest pizza and beer.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:29:50 AM by johnnylighthouse »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!