Author Topic: What to do after FIRE?  (Read 1350 times)

Megs193

• Stubble
What to do after FIRE?
« on: February 03, 2020, 08:38:05 PM »
Recently I haven’t been happy with my job.  My DH makes significantly more than me and my salary isn’t necessary but I’m having a hard time walking away.  I have spent the last 10 years just kind of treading water between the kids, my job, the house and all the responsibilities that come with life with young kids. I don’t have any hobbies and I’m not sure what I want to do with my time.  I haven’t been able to figure out why I’m hesitant to quit my job but I just realized I am afraid of all the free time. Did anyone experience this?  How did you find things you enjoy doing?  I enjoy structure and a feeling of accomplishment and I don’t know how to do that during FIRE.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: What to do after FIRE?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 08:03:53 AM »
I can't say that I ever had any doubts about what to do when I FIREd. I always knew I'd be really good at retirement. One thing I did learn is that the tasks that you used to cram into your precious time away from your job are now something you can do on your own terms and when the mood strikes you. Things like cooking used to be a chore that we rushed through to get to the other tasks that needed to get done are now things we can do at our leisure and are actually enjoyable. Home improvement projects that I used to cram into a frenzied weekend are now fun creative projects that can be stretched out as long as I want to. I also have hobbies like reading and golf and woodworking that keep me busy.  I find I spend much more time outdoors after a career in an office. It's important to get exercise, keep learning and do something creative.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 12:00:56 PM »
I'm just regular retired, and I have plenty to do but I admit that I'm a wee bit bored, as we are still in the depths of the Bleak Midwinter, and I hate to go outside much. I enjoy the summer a lot more because I don't mind going places to meet up with friends, and I love gardening.

I don't think there's a one size fits all answer - I've always liked just puttering around the house.

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 03:26:53 PM »
Can you execute a phased withdrawal to minimize casualties? ie. go part time?

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 10:12:47 PM »
This is a real issue, and it is something I wish I had spent more thought preparing for. 100 hours a week of free time is a freaking boatload of free time. I have started some volunteer activities, new hobbies, and will be a census taker. I still need a long term passion project. It is too easy to fall into old activities and do them too much.

I did some reading before FIRE, so I knew I needed to have more planned activities. For me, getting bored gave me the motivation to go out and start trying some new things.