Author Topic: What to do about untrained dogs....one attacked by the other  (Read 2591 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
What to do about untrained dogs....one attacked by the other
« on: March 31, 2019, 01:58:45 PM »
Hey all

Was looking for advice on what to do regarding a situation that came up with my in-laws' (currently out of the country) two dogs.

One is older (male rott/beagle mix) and was pretty out of shape and just nearing end of life. The younger one (female Jindok) is super aggressive and untrained. Not sure why they even decided to bring her in but they did. They just leave them outside in their yard and let them free, supplying dog food and water but with little interaction. It doesn't help that my in-laws been out of the country as well.

Anyway, my in-laws' roommate called today and said the younger dog attacked and bit the older one who started bleeding. He separated them but said the older one isn't doing well at all.

What are the options at this point and what should we do? Can and should the younger aggressive one be taken away by animal control? Or both? My in-laws really shouldn't have ever taken dogs in but they consider it "protection" (old school Asians). The younger dog is just a liability the way I see it. We don't want them spending any money or time with this at this point (and obviously we don't want to either) while they are out of the country and recently retired, so are just trying to figure out the easiest way to deal with the situation especially since we aren't close either.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 02:27:56 PM by jeromedawg »

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
Re: What to do about untrained dogs....one attacked by the other
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 03:45:39 PM »
First, the old dog needs to be taken to the vet ASAP, especially if it is in poor health to begin with.  Yes, it will cost money, but taking an ailing dog to the vet is a basic responsibility of dog ownership. If you don't live nearby, perhaps the roommate can do this and get paid back.

Second, do you have a number where you can call your in-laws and ask what they want to do? 

If you take the younger dog to animal control saying it is "aggressive," there is a chance they may never see it again. Depending on the town's policies, it could be put to sleep.  This would be a huge step to take without asking the dog's owners first.

Your in-laws do sound fairly neglectful of the dogs.  Could they be convinced to find a new home for the younger one and just let the old one live out its days?

While you and the roommate are sorting things out, the two dogs should be kept apart, maybe with the young one in the yard and the old one in the house. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 04:42:01 PM »
Well, your in-laws are shitty dog owners and I feel sorry for their animals, but there's not much you can do about that. 

I would stay out of it as much as possible.  Assuming you can contact your ILs, let them know what happened, and let them hash it out with the roommate.  Get the older dog the medical care it needs, and then stay out of it.The liability and the spending of time and money are their choice.  Let them make it, even if you don't agree with it.  You can't and shouldn't save them from themselves.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 08:08:49 PM »
Dogs are pack animals and are being neglected. The people are at fault and not the dogs.  Talk to the stupid in-laws. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »
I disagree with "staying out of it."  There is a risk that people could be attacked if the aggressive dog is running lose.  Chances are it hasn't had rabies vaccines if the owners are neglectful and could possibly transmit the disease to other dogs or people.  Not sure if you meant that you're not emotionally close or physically close, but if you are nearby, I think you have an ethical responsibility to make sure the injured dog is seen by a vet PRONTO, even if you have to take it yourself.  Then do what you can to talk the relatives out of dog ownership, especially if they plan to travel.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
I'm so sorry this happened. 

I consider myself a pretty minimalist dog owner, in all honesty, but think that we have responsibilities for the animals we take into our care all the same.

In your shoes, I'd probably arrange to get the roommate to take the older dog to the vet (assuming you are not able to get there and do so yourself), and pay for it (if the ILs won't or can't). 

I might then contact animal services, or I might see if a good foster organization in the area might be willing to take the younger dog, work with her, and re-home her. 

It sounds like your ILs basically see the dogs as working animals rather than pets, and given that I suppose I might be willing simply to have both euthanized (if that is the most affordable and safer option, given the situation you describe).  But that certainly wouldn't be my personal first choice, if other options are feasible, and that's true even if the other options cost a significant sum of $$$ -- if they (the other options) would in fact produce better outcomes for the dogs.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 03:16:03 PM »
A rescue could work with the young dog. If you take it to animal control and say it’s aggressive you are signing it’s death warrant and the dog deserves better. If the old dog is sick on top of being hurt it may have to be put to sleep.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »
They're not your dogs, so I think this is for your parents to decide.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 03:40:00 PM »
What is your basis of "super aggressive"?!?!?!?
Young dogs want to play, esp. with other dogs.  They can be highly enthusiastic, which might look like 'super aggressive' and 'attacking', but it is not.
Things can get out of hand when the other dog is to old to defend itself (and 'teach') the younger one.
If you can't find out EXACTLY what has and is going on, you CAN NOT know what to do about it.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 08:28:51 AM »
Young dogs want to play, esp. with other dogs.  They can be highly enthusiastic, which might look like 'super aggressive' and 'attacking', but it is not.
Things can get out of hand when the other dog is to old to defend itself (and 'teach') the younger one.
If you can't find out EXACTLY what has and is going on, you CAN NOT know what to do about it.

exactly my thought.  OP you need to have an experienced dog person over to watch the dogs and determine whether this is just standard dominance play or actual dog fighting.  is the jindo aggressive toward people, especially children?  if so you have a huge liability on your hands.  i would not keep a dog that is aggressive toward people, even strangers. 

is either dog fixed?  if not, then you should probably have that done.  it can (but isn't guaranteed to) reduce aggressive behavior, and if the female isn't fixed you can expect male dogs to be Very interested to the point of jumping your fence.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »
Good point on 'dominance'.
Dogs are pack animals.  Packs have an alpha.  The owner should be the alpha.  When there is more than one dog, they will detrmine a hierarchy of dominance (unless the owner does it for them).  Dogs figure out the hierarchy of every member of the pack, even when some of the members are a human family.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 09:49:42 AM »

exactly my thought.  OP you need to have an experienced dog person over to watch the dogs and determine whether this is just standard dominance play or actual dog fighting.  is the jindo aggressive toward people, especially children?  if so you have a huge liability on your hands.  i would not keep a dog that is aggressive toward people, even strangers. 

is either dog fixed?  if not, then you should probably have that done.  it can (but isn't guaranteed to) reduce aggressive behavior, and if the female isn't fixed you can expect male dogs to be Very interested to the point of jumping your fence.

The jindo is highly aggressive around strangers. When we bring our kids and they want to see her (behind a sliding glass door), she growls and barks at them tail between legs 99% of the time. On several occasions she rushed the sliding glass door (hitting it relatively hard with her paws up against it as if she were attacking) while my kids were watching her behind it. Imagine if there was no glass door and these were someone else's kids who went out into the yard themselves....! This is what I mean by liability. I don't think the jindo is fixed. I think the older male might be though. She's only comfortable around my in-laws and at least one tenant (the one who separated the dogs) because she 'knows' them - anyone she does not know she goes nuts (and not in a good way)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:51:48 AM by jeromedawg »

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 10:23:36 AM »
Barking/growling with tail between legs sounds like fear aggression.  Confident/dominant dogs will bark with tail raised.  I  would have this dog assessed by a good trainer and follow their recommendations for rehabilitation.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 01:21:21 PM »
Barking/growling with tail between legs sounds like fear aggression.  Confident/dominant dogs will bark with tail raised.  I  would have this dog assessed by a good trainer and follow their recommendations for rehabilitation.

Agreed -- dogs who haven't been socialized with little kids are often scared of them and respond by barking like this.  The owners would have to do some training so that the dog would start associating the kids with something positive.  But it doesn't sound like they are much inclined to properly train their dogs. 

Sadly a dog in this situation often ends up getting blamed or even euthanized thanks to their owner's neglect.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 08:08:36 AM »
some kind of intervention is necessary in this case.  that dog is going to hurt somebody.  in teh meantime, don't for any reason let her be around kids.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!