Author Topic: What to do about my cracked Moto X. :-(  (Read 5798 times)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
What to do about my cracked Moto X. :-(
« on: September 20, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »
This might sound hilariously unmustachian to some of you, but my $200 phone (now with cracked screen) will cost me $200 to repair. I ain't paying that. Perhaps I should have stuck with the humble Defy XT, hindsight suggests I should have anyway.... Short of living with a cracked screen for the next 2 years, are there any other suggestions?

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What to do about my cracked Moto X. :-(
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
There is likely a kit you can buy off Ebay to replace the screen for significantly less than $200. If you're comfortable replacing a cell phone screen yourself. If you're not, there are usually places you can send your phone in to get a new screen put on. Still cheaper than $200.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 10:31:41 AM »
There is likely a kit you can buy off Ebay to replace the screen for significantly less than $200. If you're comfortable replacing a cell phone screen yourself. If you're not, there are usually places you can send your phone in to get a new screen put on. Still cheaper than $200.

Thanks for your reply, but I have researched both avenues. Apparently the glass only repair is relatively cheap, but responsiveness suffers and is not recommended. Plus the process is easy to screw up. The complete digitizer/glass kit is $160 on eBay, not much savings versus having my local phone repair guy take care of it.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »
Kinda limits your options then. I assume you are with RW? Then you only have the two phone options. Well, buy a used RW Moto X from someone. I've seen them for sale here and there.

DarinC

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »
There are a couple used digitizers/glass on eh4y for ~$90. If you have a spare phone and enough time, I'd first try to just replace the glass yourself, and if that didn't go well, buy a used digitizer/glass. Otherwise, you'll probably need to shell out the ~$160-$200.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
Thanks for your reply, but I have researched both avenues. Apparently the glass only repair is relatively cheap, but responsiveness suffers and is not recommended. Plus the process is easy to screw up. The complete digitizer/glass kit is $160 on eBay, not much savings versus having my local phone repair guy take care of it.

I just watched the video to do this repair.  It's not that difficult.  It is really tedious.  I did it to 2 Samsung Galaxy S3's.  I was also worried about messing it up, but the LCD is a lot more rugged than the videos lead you to believe.  Each phone took me between 1 to 2 hours. 

I would just replace the glass.  Then make sure you get a good case so it won't happen again!

2Optimists

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »
I had a different model smart phone and absolutely shattered the screen. I used packing tape until I decided how I wanted to replace it. Tape worked for more than six months. Amazingly enough, the touch functionality worked fine. It was tedious to read through the cracks though.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 04:24:50 PM »
Alright fellas I'll give it a shot with the repair. Will report back.

HattyT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
Here's hoping you will have a badass report and YouTube video on how well your repair went. ! :)
Just in case, RW is reporting they have a Moto E coming out next month at $99.

threelittlebirds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »
I tried changing the glass and digitizer on a droid before and ruined it. It was extremely tedious and nerve wracking and then the phone was toast anyways.. I can't really recommend that. Maybe sell the broken phone as is on eBay and use the money to buy a refurbished one.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:25:39 PM »
my friends just launched this site for phone repair. i helped with a very small amount of the work

needfixed.com

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 07:58:54 AM »
The reason most of these phones suffer touch responsiveness issues after the glass is changed out is because the glue is not replaced, which is what transfers pressure/touch to the digitizer.

Get a bottle of LOCA glue instead of the 2mm adhesive strips.