Author Topic: What To Do About Building A Cabin?  (Read 3630 times)

pachipres

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What To Do About Building A Cabin?
« on: May 04, 2012, 07:56:35 PM »
Hello There, I am needing some advice about cabin building.  Five years ago I received an out of court settlement and told myself I would like to buy some land and build something like an acreage or cabin for my children.  I eventually bought an old cabin with the money $50K 7 minutes from a great lake here in Canada.   This past summer we were forced to demolish the cabin because of it being rotten and an eyesore.  Now I just have the land.  My dh is 56 and wanting to cut down on work soon. He has only contract work but it pays very well.  We have 1 Million invested.  I am not sure whether to go ahead and build this summer due to his work not being secure. Not that anyone's job is secure but right now the company he works for just gives PO's(Purchase Orders) and there is nothing signed even. For example, they could let him go anytime without a payout package.  They keep telling him there is lots of work for him.  He is in IT and does alot of crystal reporting.  We have four kids still at home from ages 7 to 20. Anyways, I would love to hear of people's opinions on this matter. The cabin we were looking at would be a Pre-Fab likely costing us over $50K by time we pay for help since my dh isn't very handy.  Any opinons out there?

astadt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What To Do About Building A Cabin?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:10:31 PM »
I love this site

[url]http://www.small-cabin.com[url]

I realize your husband might not be too handy, but Youve got a lot of helpers and it could be a really cool family project.

Prefab is probably a little anti mustashian for cabins. Why not build the easy parts then get a couple of contractors to comeout to do electricity and plumbing? Just a thought, Im jealous of your prospects!

vwDavid

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »
Why not consider Mustachian cabins or permaculture dwellings. They look really cool and get you involved with like-minded people to help do the work.

http://www.permies.com/forums/f-5/green-building

vwDavid

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
adding more tantilizing link

http://www.richsoil.com/wofati.jsp

pachipres

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »
Thank you to everyone who responded to my question about building a cabin. We decided to hold off for this year and possibly wait till next spring of 2013 to start building.  Both my husband and I are uncomfortable going into a large(for us) debt of 80K for this cabin.  We just found out to fix the land and put in a foundation will cost us 27K.  All of this would have to go on the credit line. So for now, we are going to try to save for some of this.  Thanks again for all your advice.