Author Topic: What to ask about/look for when having a roof replaced by insurance?  (Read 2398 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Our roof is being replaced via insurance - we had hail and a large number of houses in the area were affected. Surprisingly the insurance company disagreed with the adjuster in this case (who said "no damage" but the insurance agent reviewed it and said "yes"), which I found strange, but whatever.

We have a $2.5k deductible and the claim is around $8.5k, so we'll be out $6k.

After the storm, a few people came by and seemed very eager to replace our roof - basically door to door salesmen in the area while they replaced other roofs I think. Are these types of roofing companies reputable? It seemed weird to me. But Googling them they don't seem to be have a lot of negative reviews. One guy more or less said, "we can creatively find ways to make your out of pocket $0" which struck me as... fishy.

I've never really gone through a quoting type of process, what things should I be looking for?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: What to ask about/look for when having a roof replaced by insurance?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 08:23:41 AM »
Do your research into roofing companies, get quotes, etc, just as if you were doing it without insurance involvement. You can ask your agent if they have any recommendations.

My friends replaced their roof and siding after a big storm + insurance involvement, they used one of the companies that went door to door. It was a nightmare for them. The company did substandard work, tried to disappear. In the end, they got it worked out but it was way more work than they planned on.

J Dough

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:43:05 AM »
Hi ender,

You said "We have a $2.5k deductible and the claim is around $8.5k, so we'll be out $6k."

Can you be explain what you mean by this? Why would you be "out" more than your deductible?

The insurance agent should have someone they work with regularly, and using that person will probably be the lowest-stress way for you to get the work done.

If I were you, I would expect to pay the deductible, and I wouldn't trust the salesman that said he could make your out of pocket $0. Sounds a lot like insurance fraud to me.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:44:24 AM »
Hi ender,

You said "We have a $2.5k deductible and the claim is around $8.5k, so we'll be out $6k."

Can you be explain what you mean by this? Why would you be "out" more than your deductible?

The insurance agent should have someone they work with regularly, and using that person will probably be the lowest-stress way for you to get the work done.

If I were you, I would expect to pay the deductible, and I wouldn't trust the salesman that said he could make your out of pocket $0. Sounds a lot like insurance fraud to me.

lol I meant we'd be out 2.5k.... derp.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 08:52:42 AM »
Don't let those door to door roofers anywhere near your roof. Multiple occurrences around here of those types getting on the roof and intentionally causing damage themselves. Go with a reputable company. Perhaps ask your insurance agent for a recommendation. Note that even between reputable roofing companies, prices swing widely. Get bids from at least three companies.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 09:30:27 AM »
I had one of those door-to-door companies assure me that they *would* find hail damage on my roof, and they were shocked - SHOCKED - when I declined to defraud the insurance company. LOL

I'd ask the insurance company for recommendations, and anybody I knew who'd had roofing done recently.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 09:50:53 AM »
Don't let those door to door roofers anywhere near your roof. Multiple occurrences around here of those types getting on the roof and intentionally causing damage themselves. Go with a reputable company. Perhaps ask your insurance agent for a recommendation. Note that even between reputable roofing companies, prices swing widely. Get bids from at least three companies.

Troof.

Often, these door to door sales agents follow storms around. Don't use them.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 09:11:27 PM »
Steer clear the salesman! I'm guessing that they make your out-of-pocket zero by pumping up the total cost and giving you a kickback. It's unethical and so you should not trust them to do the same to you. I used Angie's List and ended up with an excellent company.

LovinPSDs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 07:30:01 AM »
One guy more or less said, "we can creatively find ways to make your out of pocket $0" which struck me as... fishy.

I'm about 99% sure this is illegal...

nwhiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 09:31:22 AM »
Run away fast. There are certain individuals that chase the storms and their creative solution often involves damaging the roof or siding more to get extra money.

The other think is that good roofers are going to be swamped after a storm like this, so be prepared to wait a while. Anyone that is having to go door-to-door to find business is a red flag for me. The other thing in my experience is that roofing companies are some of the most volatile in the construction industry. They go out and business and reincorporate as another company on a regular basis. The last thing you need to do is hire some flyby night operation that does a poor job and isn't around in a year or two if problems arise with their work.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 09:40:18 AM »
DON'T use a door to door salesperson. Your insurance company will have a list of reputable companies that will warranty their work. Just be prepared to wait a couple weeks as the initial rush wears off. You can also look for companies that are based in your city and have been in business for a while. With so many fly-by-night companies out there, it's easy to pick out a short list of potentially decent ones.

Depending on your financial situation, consider paying the difference for a metal or tile roof if it makes sense (don't over improve for your area).

Instead of trying to figure out ways to lower your deductible, see if the roofing company is willing to do a little extra for no extra cost to you, like painting trim or eaves.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 10:03:41 AM »
Never, ever use door-to-door repair people!  NEVER!!  Ask me how I know this >:(.  Look online for companies that have been around for years and ask you're insurance company person who their company recommends.  Getting it done right might cost a bit more out of pocket, but not having it done right could end up costing much much more.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 11:56:47 AM »
DON'T use a door to door salesperson. Your insurance company will have a list of reputable companies that will warranty their work. Just be prepared to wait a couple weeks as the initial rush wears off. You can also look for companies that are based in your city and have been in business for a while. With so many fly-by-night companies out there, it's easy to pick out a short list of potentially decent ones.

Depending on your financial situation, consider paying the difference for a metal or tile roof if it makes sense (don't over improve for your area).

Instead of trying to figure out ways to lower your deductible, see if the roofing company is willing to do a little extra for no extra cost to you, like painting trim or eaves.

We had one of their recommended vendors stop by earlier this week and, well, I was a lot more impressed with that sales person than the door-to-door folks...

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »
And reading this, I'm kind of paranoid something weird happened when the door-to-door guy did his inspection....

BrickByBrick

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 12:29:52 PM »
Well, not meaning to be contrarian, but I did use one of the "door to door" salesmen to evaluate my roof and work with the adjuster after a hail storm came through our area.  They weren't perfect but ultimately no real complaints and no issues.  I'm not sure if door to door is accurate though, they were surprisingly professional and used modern tech and had a national website and had overall good (though not perfect) reviews.

Company: Aspen Roofing