Author Topic: What temp do you keep your houses?  (Read 8226 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: What temp do you keep your houses?
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2018, 07:24:49 AM »
Summer ac set to about 68 degrees in living room.
Bedroom ac set to 69 degrees and a fan is blowing over the bed.

Winter heat in living room is set to 72 degrees
Bedroom is 65 degrees with fan blowing over bed.

Sometimes when it is windy and bitter cold outside we crank it up to 74 in the living room during the day.

Our house is very well insulated and I am not going to shiver and shake and walk around bundled up like a mummy to keep warm. Same in the summer, I am not going to be miserable, hot and sweaty. I worked all my life to be able to enjoy being comfortable. I have no kids to give my money to and I can't take it with me so I am going to use it while I am here!

Joseppi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
Ugh. I've lost this battle. My house is 72 year round. My wife is a complete wuss when it comes to temperature (hot or cold).

Growing up my folks put the heater in the winter at 64 and the a/c in the summer at 78, and that's what I'd prefer to continue doing. In picking my battles I realized that attempting to convert my wife leads to horrible arguments.

Ditto.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2018, 03:03:21 PM »
My thermostat has a simultaneous Heat/Cool mode. Cool is set to 75 mornings & evenings, 77 otherwise. Heat is currently set to 68 mornings & evenings, and 65 otherwise. I've gone as low as 62 with the heat some years, but so far this year I'm still not that well adjusted to the cold (65 still feels cold!).

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2018, 03:16:13 PM »
60 in the winter, 84 in the summer.

The unfortunate side effect is the office feels frigid during the summer and sweltering in the winter.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2018, 01:59:47 AM »

Sometimes when it is windy and bitter cold outside we crank it up to 74 in the living room during the day.

Our house is very well insulated and I am not going to shiver and shake and walk around bundled up like a mummy to keep warm. Same in the summer, I am not going to be miserable, hot and sweaty. I worked all my life to be able to enjoy being comfortable. I have no kids to give my money to and I can't take it with me so I am going to use it while I am here!

Just wondering why it looks like you cool down your house more in summer than that you heat it up in winter? Wouldn't it make more sense to heat up to 68 only and cool to 72 in summer? It would make sense if you'd say your house is poorly insulated so you have to overcompensate to get to 70 in both situations, but you say that's not the case :).

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2018, 08:48:32 AM »
Cool to 80, warm to 68.

Pro: When it is 115F outside, we are much more comfortable outdoors than our neighbors

Con: Our kids complain they are freezing at school because they aren't used to ludicrous amounts of AC.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2018, 08:54:36 AM »

Just wondering why it looks like you cool down your house more in summer than that you heat it up in winter? Wouldn't it make more sense to heat up to 68 only and cool to 72 in summer? It would make sense if you'd say your house is poorly insulated so you have to overcompensate to get to 70 in both situations, but you say that's not the case :).

Makes perfect sense to me because I am comfortable and I like it cold in the summer. I would have it colder but the Hub says the ac will freeze up. To each his own. I can afford it and am not going to shiver or boil to my grave. Not going to walk around the house with a coat on in the winter and not going to sweat inside the house in the summer. Have not gone on vacation since 2004 so this is my luxury.

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »
65 while we are home in the winter and 55 at night or while we are away.

In the summer 72 - 75. My wife and I deal much better with being cold that with being hot.

However, I refuse to freeze so we will turn on the fireplace (natural gas) in the winter if we are uncomfortable after donning our sweatshirts.

Remember the key difference between frugal and cheap is spending money on the things you want to spend money on.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2018, 10:12:08 AM »
Summer - daytime 80 degrees - although I do go down to 76 degrees when I get uncomfortable. Nights - 77 degrees.
Winter - 72 degrees daytime - nights - 70 degrees.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2018, 10:20:34 AM »
Well, pre-kids we were more hardcore.  Heat to 60 during the day and 55 at night.  Cool to 78 with fans.  But our current home is pretty uneven in heating and cooling, and the kids' room gets pretty cold in winter.  So we heat to 66 during the day and 64 at night now.  Cooling is still to 77-78, although sometimes my wife complains and turns it to 74.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2018, 10:51:55 AM »
65 while we are home in the winter and 55 at night or while we are away.

In the summer 72 - 75. My wife and I deal much better with being cold that with being hot.

However, I refuse to freeze so we will turn on the fireplace (natural gas) in the winter if we are uncomfortable after donning our sweatshirts.

Remember the key difference between frugal and cheap is spending money on the things you want to spend money on.

Honestly, it’s not so much the $ as the environmental costs, for me. I can feel a jimmy Carter’s reproachful gaze.

BrickByBrick

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »
70...Wife is pregnant, finds temperature fluctuations intolerable.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2018, 07:18:52 AM »
I live in New England and forest manage my property for firewood.  We have a wood furnace with ductwork that goes throughout the house and a normal blower.  Oil backup.  On days like today, I start the fire in the morning and my son (college commuter student) throws more wood in while I'm gone.  So we don't exactly set the temperature.  It's typically around 70 unless someone gets out of hand putting in too much (have reached 80!) or forgets, then we're down to maybe 66 before whoever is home realizes they're cold and goes to restart the fire.

We do have the thermostat set on 67, so it's not going to get all that cold, even if the fire goes out.  Oil will simply kick in and spend all my money.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2018, 07:31:15 AM »
Daytime - heat to 61-63 in winter if home (exception, heat bathroom to 65 while showering). At night or while away heat to 46 in winter. I don't own air conditioning, I usually just open a window if too hot.  In summer I suffer horribly if the inside daytime temperature is over 78 or the inside nighttime temperature is over 63. At work, where I am not paying for it, I heat to 68-70, except in summer. No air conditioning at work either, I usually just open a window or door.

I would like to reduce the axial tilt of the earth to 0, and move to an area with an appropriate climate. Apparently this is impractical....

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »
The house is maintained at whatever temperature is conducive to my wife agreeing to disrobe.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2018, 08:49:34 AM »
The house is maintained at whatever temperature is conducive to my wife agreeing to disrobe.

Do you keep, like, a log??

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2018, 09:00:22 AM »

Frugal foreplay: turning on the furnace. (This is a truth in my life, no lie).

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2018, 09:20:24 AM »

Do you keep, like, a log??

Nah, I just have the test appendage. If a hand under the shirt hem is slapped away for being chilly, up goes the heat.