Author Topic: What teeny tiny things have you done today for future you?  (Read 4772 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
What teeny tiny things have you done today for future you?
« on: January 09, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »
Because sometimes it's hard to stay on track when you can't see progress, and progress is in the itty bitty steps.

Today I've walked 8km, I put some stewed fruit in the freezer and made some tomato chutney, and I picked up a whole lot of candy canes and shoved them in the cupboard for mid-winter (NZ) xmas. And I started a difficult conversation with someone I know. No idea what future impact that may have but it needed to be had.

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: What teeny tiny things have you done today for future you?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 08:56:54 PM »
I walked 9.9k steps (hopefully will hit 10k before bed)!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 11:44:48 AM »
I finally replaced the batteries of our smoke detector. It's insane, but we haven't had a working smoke detector for over a year and all I needed to do was to change the stupid batteries.

Ate a super healthy, veggie-heavy vegan lunch with sufficient protein/fats. It's one of my favorite meals.

Sent an email to a collaborator about something she'd done I didn't appreciate. I didn't have to, but I wanted to clear things up because I'm convinced it would be better for our collaboratorship in the long run. I also considered it as a practice for solving (minor) conflicts in a work setting as I tend to avoid the confrontation unless it's a major thing. 

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 12:41:25 PM »

Ate a super healthy, veggie-heavy vegan lunch with sufficient protein/fats. It's one of my favorite meals.

Recipe? or it didn't happen...... :)

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 12:42:45 PM »
I worked from home today so I could catch up on sleep instead of commuting.

Having ginger tea instead of more coffee.

perhaps - micro steps.....

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 01:03:10 PM »

Recipe? or it didn't happen...... :)

I don't really have a fixed recipe for this dish anymore as I've been making it for 7+ years and adjusted it from time to time, but this got me 3 servings of food yesterday:
- 1 lb Carrots
- Half a Zucchini (150 or so grams)
- 2 small onions
- 1 Bell pepper, red or yellow
- 2 cloves garlic
- 250 ml coconut milk (if you buy the watery one probably a bit more)
- 160g Vegan chicken substitute (I prefer tofu though, this was a try out, actually in the original recipe there's no meat substitute at all)
- Coriander and/or parsly. I used both this time (40g coriander, 10 or so parsley as it was a leftover)
- Chili flakes - to your liking
- Yellow curry powder - a lot
- Other spices to your liking, e.g. ginger or cumin are nice to add in small amounts, sometimes I add extra curcuma
- Chopped cashew nuts - probably threw in 100g or so.
- Oil for baking
- Bit of lemon or lime juice

Basically sautee all the veggies, add spices, add coconut milk, let sit for a while (depending on how soft you want the veggies to be), cook the meat-substitute or tofu seperately and add at the end together with the cashews, and herbs. Add a bit of lemon/lime juice and mix at the end. If serving for guests use a handfull of cashews and coriander/parsly as pretty garnishing.

Key of the recipe is the thickness of the sauce and the rich use of spices and herbs. I don't add any extra salt but I usually use salted cashews so I can use the rest of the bag for snacking. You can vary the vegetables but in the original recipe carrots are the base. Replacing the carrots by pumpkin is pretty good too though.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »
ooo - a yellow curry!

I'll give it a whirl time, thank you!!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 08:07:56 PM »
Did my regular MWF pull-ups (across the afternoon, as I work from home). The me of next Monday will thank today-me.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 01:45:37 PM »
I went apartment hunting today and found our potential next home. After that I did some chores to prepare for the week ahead, and worked out. Overall, a nice relaxing yet productive Saturday!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 02:05:52 PM »
Cooked yet another delicious vegan meal using an Indonesian spice mix that had been laying around the house for too long, so decluttering and healthy food in one go!

Very directly benefit for future me is that there's a portion left for tomorrow :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 02:30:06 PM »
-Went to a combo yoga/tai chi/meditation class
-prepped lunch for today that will yield leftovers for lunch tomorrow
-Menu planned & will batch cook this afternoon

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 04:19:46 PM »
Picked up half a dozen good quality wool items at a thrift store for resale (winter sidehustle, it's summer now)
Reorganised receipt system for 2020
Watered and weeded the berry bushes

E350

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »
Slowly getting the family on board with downsizing and selling/donating clutter that we don't value anymore.  There's been steady improvements in this regard, and I'm hoping to help keep up the momentum.  Also made progress towards selling my vehicle!

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 05:43:40 PM »
I have really put into priority to do the things that help me stay out of the depression deep dark hole. I live in the PNW and this time of year the no sun really gets to me. And I have to work damn hard to fight it.

I did yoga, I went for a walk in the rain and wind, I went to zumba, I made a real lunch (I normally just pick at terrible snacks and over eat then feel like crap) About to go make some homemade pizzas for dinner. I will not drink wine with my pizza tonight (I am finding alcohol just makes my sleep worst)  as I must do my evening routine with sitting in candle light sipping on a tea made out of apple cider vinegar and raw honey. And try to be asleep by 10pm. 

I am working damn hard to do all of the things to become the best version of myself.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 06:35:24 PM »
Went grocery shopping to make some meals in bulk so I can start taking lunch and have some dinners for the nights I do not feel like cooking VS grabbing some crap food on the way home.

Made 20 quarts of Chilli about 40 meals

A large roast with fixings about 12 meals

10 quarts of harvest curry soup about 20 meals

Plan is to do this just about every weekend in tandem with vacuum packing meals and veggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 10:45:05 PM »
I love this - I feel like I've done nothing today but when I sit down and add it up, there is a heap I have done for a healthy and financially secure future me/future family

Grocery shopped with a list, meal planned the weeks meals and snacks.

Did the dishes and 2 loads of laundry

Read a report forwarded by a peer and gave feedback

Read through this weeks meetings, made my schedule and planned where I could fit in work to be done

Made myself lunch for work this week - baked seasoned tofu and greens. Really trying to eat regularly and mindfully and not fall back into unhealthy restrictive eating patterns.

Made DS lunches for home (school hols) this week - pasta bolognese -- will stop him from eating all the snacks in the first two days.

Baked cookies for the boys

Skipped the gym this morning - I have a niggling muscle pull in my back that can get really bad if I don't take it easy when i know its sore.

Taking DS rock climbing this afternoon for our bonding time.

Got a smoothie with DH (something we have just added into the budget - a weekly date meal, as we have been drifting apart and need to make the relationship a priority).

Balanced my budget

Put away the washing*

Cleaned my muddy shoes and vacuumed up the dirt that they had left

Played ball with the dog.

*i haven't. I need to. guilting myself into it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 07:44:29 AM »
Bought an air purifier:
my apartment building is ~50 years old and is on the corner of a major intersection, so the dust is insane. I ran it on "turbo" for a few hours and the air is dramatically better, my allergies are better, the animals have less eye goop, and it literally pulled the dust off of nearby furniture.

E350

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 09:17:28 AM »
Bought an air purifier:
my apartment building is ~50 years old and is on the corner of a major intersection, so the dust is insane. I ran it on "turbo" for a few hours and the air is dramatically better, my allergies are better, the animals have less eye goop, and it literally pulled the dust off of nearby furniture.

Those things are magical.  After using one, I've noticed I rarely get sick, and there's significantly less pet hair to clean up.

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 09:24:14 AM »
I'll answer for this weekend. 

Yesterday, I went to an hour long yoga class, took a walk outside, and did some light weights.  I did some fiction and non-fiction reading.  I went grocery shopping and bought mostly healthy foods, but did toss a few snacks in for the kids.  My Misfits Market box came, so I emptied that out and used some of it to make dinner.  I made a stockpot of tea, so that my morning tea is taken care of for the rest of the week. 

I also did some light picking up/cleaning around the house, made plans for next week to see my friend, sorted mail, and spent about an hour updating Quicken and tweaking my budget.  I did a metric #$%@-ton of laundry.  It was a productive day.

Today, I'm planning to chop veggies and make dip so that we have some easy snacks.  I also have to figure out how to incorporate some of my Misfits into a dinner, but haven't done that yet.  I have a yoga class later this afternoon.  I'm doing some icky housework today like cleaning the vacuum...which I despise but it always works better after I just do it.  My outfit for tomorrow is already laid out and I'll pack up my food and snacks for tomorrow after dinner.  My daughter wants to go to a different grocery store with me today, so I might do that if I can get my other stuff done.  I plan to do some reading before bed.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 01:32:15 PM »
50 push-ups, about 30 sit-ups, and ran 2.5 miles.

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 04:35:46 PM »
I started coming down with a cold, so I cancelled all my work and social activities for the next 36 hours. I plan to sleep lots. Wednesday me will thank Monday me.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 04:45:00 PM »
I started coming down with a cold, so I cancelled all my work and social activities for the next 36 hours. I plan to sleep lots. Wednesday me will thank Monday me.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Brilliant. Sometimes I can only think ahead to Wed me!

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 09:10:28 AM »
Yesterday I biked to the grocery store and got ingredients so DW could make a kale green smoothie this morning, which gave us each 3 servings of veggies this morning, and made enough to freeze and have again each morning this week.

Got 8 hours of sleep last night.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
Oh, and I just got a product change request approved to convert an old credit card I’ve had for 15 years into a much better cash back version that pays out more than double the rewards of the old one. I came across the idea last week and I’ve been procrastinating it but I finally did it today. And the best part is that I retain all my credit history on the card and the card number even stays the same and it didn’t require me unfreezing my credit. Woot!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2020, 03:29:49 PM »
Left work early as I'm coming down with something.  Spent the rest of the day in bed apart from eating dinner with the kids. Ate lots of citrus fruits.  Not sure if I'll go back tomorrow as I still have a sore throat.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 03:57:12 PM »
I visited a new dentist and had a very thorough exam and a pretty good cleaning.  In November I had a cleaning and exam with a dental office I was not thrilled with and then a couple days later had some old filling matter come out when I brushed my teeth.  Today’s dentist was closer to my home, has Saturday hours, and most importantly was gentle.  He wants me to have a filling redone on a way-back tooth and a new crown on an old crappily done root canal.  He also says I could get an implant where I had an accessed molar pulled in 2016.  I am 42 with a mouth full of old deep fillings and Id rather do preventative maintenance than major reconstruction down the road on Future Me.  I paid nothing with my insurance for today’s visit. 

The weather was crappy so I limited my errands to the necessary ones.  Future Me needs to live in a place too warm for snow. 

ShastaFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2020, 04:48:14 PM »
Yesterday I biked to the grocery store and got ingredients so DW could make a kale green smoothie this morning, which gave us each 3 servings of veggies this morning, and made enough to freeze and have again each morning this week.

Got 8 hours of sleep last night.

Have a recipe?  Sounds good all of the sudden :-)

For future me, I virtuously worked out this morning at home (basement treadmill, ball and weights).  I also made spelt bread.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2020, 07:46:09 PM »
@ShastaFire - I’ve attached the recipe (sorry it’s not a very good picture, it’s cut out from an old sunset magazine).

Future me will be happy that I biked for quite a few hours today. Weather was nice and I saw a lovely sunset just as I was getting home.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:47:59 PM by BECABECA »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2020, 08:52:45 PM »
Went for a long walk
Dug down a foot or more into the garden to get bloody comfrey out by the roots. Dreadful stuff
Did NOT eat a cream bun that I really wanted (this will be followed by NOT ordering a pizza tonight. Sigh)
Made arrangements to meet up with friends later in the week

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2020, 06:25:15 AM »
This thread inspired me to up my 401k contribution to 90% so I can max that sucker out as quickly as possible this year

ShastaFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2020, 08:51:10 AM »
@ShastaFire - I’ve attached the recipe (sorry it’s not a very good picture, it’s cut out from an old sunset magazine).

Future me will be happy that I biked for quite a few hours today. Weather was nice and I saw a lovely sunset just as I was getting home.

Thank you - the collard greens add is a different twist - will try it!

Future me will be grateful for a new sense of discipline in January - no snacking after 6 pm.  Future me may also be a little grumpy...

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 01:52:02 PM »
I love the snowball effect this has, and I love the feeling of being "ahead" on chores, etc. If Future Me is less burdened by tasks that Current Me is doing now, then Future Me will be able to do other tasks and pay it forward to Future Future Me, so life will always seem (relatively) under control and less busy.

And if something does come up at the last minute, it's less of a disruption. If this afternoon I'm prepping tomorrow's dinner rather than tonight's dinner, it's no big deal if my afternoon gets interrupted. Dinner will still be on the table. If I wipe down the bathroom sinks and toilets daily, it's no big deal if I need to miss a day. An unexpected guest still won't be disgusted by our bathrooms.

@Malkynn would you mind sharing which air purifier you got? My husband has terrible spring allergies, and I'm wondering if this would help.

Back on topic...
-daily maintenance cleaning rather than waiting for "emergency cleaning" status
-daily baby steps toward learning Spanish rather than staring down a huge goal of "Learn Spanish!"
-looking ahead on my meal plan to make sure I not only have the right ingredients, but have them prepared (cooked beans in the freezer, etc.)
-prepping whatever I can for the next day or two of meals (making sauces, chopping veg, etc.)
-putting gas in the car on the way home rather than leaving it to be done next time I go out somewhere
-setting up steel cut oats to cook in the rice cooker overnight so breakfast is ready the instant I get out of bed
-figuring out whatever I can in advance for travel so less time is spent on logistics once we're there and more time is spent vacationing (How does the bus system work? Etc.)

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2020, 03:09:25 PM »
Because sometimes it's hard to stay on track when you can't see progress, and progress is in the itty bitty steps.

Today I've walked 8km, I put some stewed fruit in the freezer and made some tomato chutney, and I picked up a whole lot of candy canes and shoved them in the cupboard for mid-winter (NZ) xmas. And I started a difficult conversation with someone I know. No idea what future impact that may have but it needed to be had.

1. Today I've eaten fresh fruit.

2 About 1/2 hour ago  I finished a walk up and down the hills on my property.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2020, 03:48:30 PM »
Today I made and canned a batch of applesause and a batch of pickled beets, and I'm almost done baking a loaf of bread.  Future me will be better off not skipping having a fruit and vegetable at lunch when I run out of fresh produce and can't make it to the store in time, and later-this-week-me will enjoy delicious toast with the apple butter or marmalade I've canned previously.

Yesterday I swept all the rooms on the first floor, which is normally my Tuesday task.  Future me will be able to relax or catch up on something else on Tuesday.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2020, 04:12:11 PM »
@GreenSheep it's a Honeywell, not sure which model, but it's black and has two HEPA filters.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2020, 04:22:25 PM »
@GreenSheep it's a Honeywell, not sure which model, but it's black and has two HEPA filters.

Thank you!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2020, 04:31:00 PM »

Thank you!

Found the model number, HPA 160C

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 07:15:46 AM »

Thank you!

Found the model number, HPA 160C

Awesome, looks like what I was looking at on Amazon yesterday was the right thing. It appears they come in a variety of sizes. I mentioned it to my husband, who seemed intrigued. Probably one of those things we should get locally, though, rather than from Amazon, so we can return it if it doesn't actually help his allergies. Here's hoping, though!

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2020, 09:54:29 AM »
I'm making myself lunch for the week.  2 cups of rice, half a pound of lentils, half a pound of sliced mushrooms, garlic and sriracha.  I cook the rice and lentils and saute the mushrooms and minced garlic in a bit of olive oil.  Then I mix them all together and add in sriracha till I think it looks right.  Very cheap, pretty healthy and quite tasty:)

Now if only I could convince my husband to eat it.  He buys lunch:(

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2020, 05:19:29 PM »
I'm making myself lunch for the week.  2 cups of rice, half a pound of lentils, half a pound of sliced mushrooms, garlic and sriracha.  I cook the rice and lentils and saute the mushrooms and minced garlic in a bit of olive oil.  Then I mix them all together and add in sriracha till I think it looks right.  Very cheap, pretty healthy and quite tasty:)

Now if only I could convince my husband to eat it.  He buys lunch:(

Slice some steak into it. He'll eat it, and still better than buying lunch

lisabobisa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2020, 08:56:59 AM »
I did not send the annoyed email.  Would have caused more harm than good. =D

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »
Stopped eating so much meat and started eating more vegetables.  Today (well, yesterday actually) I prepped all the veggies for the butternut squash chili I'm making for dinner tonight and set out all the other ingredients on the counter.  Will make throwing together dinner tonight easy.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:05:07 AM by Sugaree »

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2020, 09:18:09 AM »
Took my vitamins.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2020, 10:21:35 AM »
Yesterday I made another green smoothie for the week, so DW and I will be getting in more servings of fruits and veggies than we normally do.

And today we hit a 10 day streak of taking the dogs for a morning walk. It’s not a ton of exercise, only about 15 minutes of walking, but it’s been a really nice way to start the day.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2020, 06:10:26 PM »
Called and got an appt. with a service company to replace the aging HVAC rooftop unit.

I like to be proactive on replacing bigger-ticket household items that are nearing/at the end of their expected service life vs. having to buy something in a panic after its failed.  The spectre of having the current unit die during the summer heat in Phoenix is a strong motivator to start the replacement process now.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2020, 07:29:38 PM »
Called and got an appt. with a service company to replace the aging HVAC rooftop unit.

I like to be proactive on replacing bigger-ticket household items that are nearing/at the end of their expected service life vs. having to buy something in a panic after its failed.  The spectre of having the current unit die during the summer heat in Phoenix is a strong motivator to start the replacement process now.

Yes!! We used to live in Phoenix, and we made the mistake of going to Thailand during the hot season thinking, "We're from Phoenix. How bad could it be?" Well, it was a whole different level of hot. And then we got home to Phoenix, in May, after a very long series of flights, to a dead rooftop ac unit. Thank goodness we knew an amazing HVAC guy who came out and fixed it by the time I'd picked up the dog from the dog sitter. Better to approach it your way!