Author Topic: What tech (consumer electronics) do you have?  (Read 11536 times)

Quinn

What tech (consumer electronics) do you have?
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:29:08 PM »
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 10:27:18 AM by acorn »

EDSMedS

• Stubble
Re: What tech do you have?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 07:33:49 PM »
DW and I have two Android phones (one of which I am dumping for a shitty flip once the ($$!!) contract expires), one piecemeal Gateway laptop from 2008 that was put together by a family friend, one dell laptop purchased in 2012, and a microwave we found in a dumpster.

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: What tech do you have?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 07:36:10 PM »
Are we just talking about consumer electronics?  Because I just installed a brand new belt drive garage door opener that is the shiznit.  I'm very happy with it.

My family of 5 has a desktop, a laptop, three tablets, and three phones.  When you write it all down like that, it's clearly pretty ridiculous.  Oh and a TV.  Probably $3500 all together, if bought new.

I think the answer to this question is going to depend on the ages of your kids, though.  Past about 13, a kid without some kind of phone is something of an anomaly.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
Re: What tech (consumer electronics) do you have?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:47:53 PM »
I've got a Moto X smartphone, MacBook Air and iPod Nano from my high school days (2009? 2010?).

Contemplating going the iPhone route but other than that, don't envision anything changing anytime soon.

EarlyStart

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:54:34 PM »
I bought my VAIO laptop from a friend who's bad with credit and bought more computers than he uses. I paid him $100. He had hardly used it and had the receipt for about $375.

I have an iPhone. I keep phones for about two years. I'll probably get a much cheaper one next time. I don't remember the cost, but it's unnecessary. I can find a phone that does all the same stuff and doesn't shatter like fine china every time you drop it or run out of battery every day.

I have a pretty decent tv. I think it was around $300. Next time I'll get a used one, but I'll probably keep this one for several years. I think these are all the electronics that I use. All three of these things were bought in pre-mustachian times, but I never bought any of that shit on credit, and I keep the things I buy for a long time. Nonetheless, I'll get better deals when I need new ones, which is not in the foreseeable, near future. I can always look back and see less than optimal decisions. They're learning experiences, and I never went into debt, thankfully.

innerscorecard

• Pencil Stache
    • Inner Scorecard - Where financial independence, value investing and life meet
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 08:56:45 PM »
I have an iPhone 5 (bought used on eBay), iPad Air (shared with DW) and MacBook Pro Retina (shared with DW).

Consumer electronics are the one area where we pay up for quality. We only converted to Apple recently, and it's very much worth it. It's worth paying up for a better user experience on things that I use multiple times every day, and that will last a long time. I will never get any of the time spent debugging Windows or Android devices back in my life, and that's a big regret.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
What tech (consumer electronics) do you have?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:01:55 PM »
I think the answer to this question is going to depend on the ages of your kids, though.  Past about 13, a kid without some kind of phone is something of an anomaly.

Haha, I didn't have a mobile phone until I was 17. Of course that was back in the olden days. :)

As far as consumer tech, I've got:

iPhone 5 - contract finished in October, switched to cheap MVNO - regularly used
Moto G - bought to try Android out, not used much now, may give it to my mum to replace her Nexus S, or Gumtree it
iPad (3rd gen, cellular) - the SIM has no credit so it's effectively used on WiFi only, used reasonably often. debating whether to replace it with a lighter model, but at $739? no thanks!
MacBook Pro (late 2008 15", purchased early 2009, since updated with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD)
A few minor bits and bobs.

I will admit I've been keen on replacing the MacBook with a 13" Retina Pro, but I've avoided succumbing to the urges thus far. I'll hang onto the old one for a little while longer. It works OK for a six year old laptop (small keyboard issue aside), but a new one would be almost a kilogram lighter and last three times as long on the battery :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 04:42:35 AM by alsoknownasDean »

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 11:07:30 PM »
I have a 2 year old 13" laptop for school and an iPhone 5s.  And an iPod nano generation 2 or 3 that I got when I was like 14 (9 years ago? wow...) but I don't use it really.  I think I have a super cheap digital camera that was a gift several years ago lying around somewhere too.

Hubby has a brand new water cooled gaming desktop that he spent an embarassingly ridiculous amount of money on, an older gaming desktop that I'll inherit once he switches over completely, and a Samsung Galaxy 5.  And another ancient iPod but he actually uses his. 

We have a 50" (I think?) plasma TV he bought 8+ years ago that's survived several cross country Marine corps era moves and several after he got out -- I must say I'm impressed with it.  We also have a 42" LCD TV my parents gave me several years ago but it's not even plugged in.  One of these days I'm going to move it so I can hook my laptop up to it and stream things when I'm working out.  Or sell it.  I haven't decided yet.

Oh and a barely-used Playstation 3 and xBox 360 that are at least 7 years old at this point.  And several other xBox 360 corpses that people keep dumping on my electronics engineer hubby who insists that he will get around to opening them up and resurrecting them one of these days... I am not holding my breath but if he ever does it, we'll sell those too.  He better hurry up before they're not worth anything!

Historically I replace laptops every 2-3 years but I'm really hoping that I can make this one last longer, especially since I laid out a pretty big amount of cash initially and am no longer using it for gaming.  It's holding up for now but they do take a beating being dragged around campus :/

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 11:15:58 PM »
Lots of stuff.   Two stereos that my dad was throwing away, I hooked them up to an old computer he got rid of to stream spotify through the house.     A tv with a broken power button that my mom couldn't move.

Htpc I built 4 years ago (typing this on it now) still works great and I can't see upgrading it for at least another 2 years.

A receiver on the tv hooked up to some monkey coffins from the 80s.

3 year old iphone with a janky screen, can't see the point in replacing it when I get a ten dollar discount every month (I'm piggybacked to our business plan, It's cheaper to do this than get a pre paid)

My wife has a nice laptop, smart phone and a bunch of other stuff.   It's all business related though.

Right now I really, really want to buy a projector.    I'm having a hard time justifying $700 for a home theater though, even if it was my childhood dream.

space

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 11:36:19 PM »
Arguably way too many for one person:

1 PC - custom built, about 6 months old.
2 laptops - Lenovo Y560 (about 4-5 years old at this point), and a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 (closing in on 6-7 years, I think?)
1 active tablet - Onda V989
A... bunch of smartphones, acquired at various points over the years, none new: HTC Eris (originally for development), Nokia N900 (was my primary phone for a long while, currently has a Truphone SIM), Motorola Defy XT ("backup" device), HTC Evo 3D (primary phone).
An Xbox 360 that I bought for about $25 and took apart to fix - works perfectly fine now.
A Sansa Clip 8GB and a MS Zune HD 32GB - both excellent music players in their own right.

Still absolutely no Apple gear. And I intend to keep it that way.

(This is only the stuff I have with me at the moment - I actually still maintain an HP Touchpad and a Nokia Lumia 710, but they're about 1000 miles away)

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 11:49:46 PM »
A used iPhone 4 that I traded for a half cord of firewood (friend works at Apple and has a wood-burning stove).

Bought two flat-screen TVs in 2007 for $1,500. Still have them and will until repairs cost more than a new TV.

2011 HP laptop.

2014 Macbook Pro for work.

Two wi-fi enabled DVD players (for Netflix) ... $100 combined for both.

$200 worth of stereo equipment.

That's it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:56:27 PM by pdxvandal »

shitzmagee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 04:26:20 AM »
I don't like talking about it...face punching myself hurts. Almost all of it is a reminder of my pre-Mustachian ways, but I'm slowly paring down.

3 TVs: 55, 46, & 32" LEDs (2 of them barely used)
Bose surround sound (barely used)
1 desktop (not used)
1 top-grade laptop (for work and school)
1 mid-grade laptop (barely used)
1 chromebook
3 tablets
2 smartphones
bluetooth speakers (barely used)
Bose noise cancelling headphones
15 TB raid array
6 network infrastructure devices
Nest thermostat (great purchase by the way)
stereo system receiver (never used)
Roku
Chromecast (barely used)
multiple IP cameras

It makes me sad to think about the impact of this ridiculous consumerism has had on my stache :(

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 05:58:28 AM »
Two people:

Personally owned:
Two flip phones
One laptop circa 2010, one 2014
One older XP laptop occasionally fired up for a PC game loaded on it
One first-gen Nexus tablet (gathering dust)
One IRobot floor sweeper/mopper - best thing ever
One turntable/CD/cassette/radio combo thing, one of those that's made to look like an old radio

Work provided:
Two iPads, one regular (constant) use and one that is usually collecting dust, uncharged
One decent laptop, but aging now.

Plus pretty much every dead and obsolete computer we've ever owned, back to a 2nd gen TRS-80 which does still work, does about as much as you'd expect a TRS-80 to do, though.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 06:48:45 AM »
Is this the

Hey look at all my stuff, come rob me!

thread?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 08:47:59 AM »
Is this the

thread?

Yes, it goes along with the "How much cash do you have in your home" thread we had a few days ago. 

Next we need a "Post your working hours and directions to your house" thread.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 11:21:20 AM »
Is this the

thread?

Ha, most of my electronics are so old that they wouldn't pay for a robbers gas after he fenced them.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »
Is this the

thread?

Yes, it goes along with the "How much cash do you have in your home" thread we had a few days ago. 

Next we need a "Post your working hours and directions to your house" thread.

Dude -- L!O!L!!! Good one!!!!

OK, I'm right up there with shitzmagee. I have no life. We don't travel much. People don't like me because I'm obnoxious/abrasive/offensive. So I'm very spendy on electronics and on my gym. Here goes.

2012 Kindle I gave to my wife.
2013 Kindle for me.

2013 iPad for me with 128 GB of storage, yadda yadda.
2012 iPad Mini for my wife.
2010 iPad

2011 MacBook Air that I'm typing on right now.
2009 MacBook Pro that is somewhat of a heavy paperweight. I largely use it for audio streaming.

2011 46" Samsung HDTV
2011 40" Samsung HDTV
2013 Apple TV (2)
2014 Amazon TV Firestick (2)

2011 Bose Soundwave Radio

2011 Denon AVR-1912 Home Theater Receiver
2012 Sony Blu-Ray DVD Player

2014 Bose SoundTouch 20 Receiver

2014 iPhone 6 with 128 GB of storage

P.S. No, we do not have cable/satellite.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:45:12 AM by RapmasterD »

Allen

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
My consumer sucker abundance of things is so ridiculous I'm ashamed to share it.

iPad 1, iPad 1, iPad Air, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone, iPod Touch 1st gen, iPod touch 2nd gen, iPhone 5S, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 5S, iPhone 4, iPhone 4, iMac, Mac Mini, Macbook Air, Macbook Air, Macbook, AppleTV 1, 3x AppleTV 2, AppleTV3

That is just the APPLE STUFF (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) that my household has purchased over the past few years.

We are not an Apple exclusive household.  It's embarrassing.

That is my "hobby" (we don't drink, smoke, other any other money sinks...just consumer electronics)

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »
My consumer sucker abundance of things is so ridiculous I'm ashamed to share it.

iPad 1, iPad 1, iPad Air, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone, iPod Touch 1st gen, iPod touch 2nd gen, iPhone 5S, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 5S, iPhone 4, iPhone 4, iMac, Mac Mini, Macbook Air, Macbook Air, Macbook, AppleTV 1, 3x AppleTV 2, AppleTV3

That is just the APPLE STUFF (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) that my household has purchased over the past few years.

We are not an Apple exclusive household.  It's embarrassing.

That is my "hobby" (we don't drink, smoke, other any other money sinks...just consumer electronics)

Allen -- You're in fine shape. I drink up a shit storm while I surf the web and listen to music through my 17 different devices.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 11:52:19 AM »
(This is for a two person household)

Stuff currently in use:

• 40" flat screen TV (warranty replacement for TV given free from in-laws)
  • digital CRT TV (free from parents)
  • home-built desktop computer, newest parts bought ~2 years ago
  • HTPC, bought used
  • flat-screen monitor (free from wife's old job)
  • laptop, bought new 1 month ago for ~$270
  • Nexus 5 cellphone
  • Galaxy S cellphone
  • Chromecast
  • Wii
  • cable modem
  • 802.11g router
  • 2 8-port gigabit switches
  • VoIP ATA
  • two 2.5" USB hard drives
  • clock radio w/iPod dock

Stuff that should be in use, but needs repair/configuration/installation:

• two flat-screen monitors (need blown capacitors replaced)
  • HDHomeRun network-attached ATSC  [broadcast] TV tuner
  • NAS device
  • laser printer/scan/copy/fax
  • set of CCTV security cameras w/DVR

Obsolete stuff that I probably ought to get rid of:

• HDHomeRun network-attached QAM [Cable] TV tuner
  • Nexus 7 (unfortunately broken; attempt to repair failed)
  • iMac from 2006
  • inkjet printer/scan/copy/fax
  • cheap laser printer
  • older gaming consoles
  • Samsung Intercept cellphone
  • several older desktop computers
  • first-gen AppleTV
  • "Box o' circuit boards"
  • iPod w/hard drive
  • graphing calculators
  • Edit: Blu-Ray player, listed here instead of above because I forgot(!) about it

Planned upgrades in 2015:

• 4K monitor (as soon as the price hits $350 for one that does 60Hz...)
  • 802.11ac or 802.11n gigabit router
  • more RAM for desktop and HTPC
  • Moto G or E cellphone to replace Galaxy S
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:41:21 AM by Jack »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 12:35:24 PM »
For two people:

Desktop PC, built originally in 2008, with some retooling in 2011 (Sandy Bridge i5, 16GB RAM, 2008 video card)
File server built a few years ago with parts from previous PCs and some big (for the time) hard drives.  ~5TB capacity.
Lenovo Thinkpad T510 laptop
Acer Aspire One D250 netbook, bought Black Friday 2009 for $168
Dell Inspiron laptop (work provided laptop)
802.11n router flashed with DD-WRT and made fancy
Stupid Piece of Shit(tm) Printer (age unknown)
Moto X Android smartphone with obliterated screen but still usable
Samsung Galaxy S Android smartphone
I think we still have a Nintendo 3DS somewhere?

Our roommates have a TV that we occasionally use.  My Raspberry Pi is connected to it.

Thieves would be pretty disappointed with our electronics.  But they'd have to get through the dogs first anyway.

Quinn

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 03:50:03 PM »
I'm not a big tech person so I tend to use whatever I have till it dies. I don't bother with upgrading hardware if things are still working.

What do people do with all the additional obsolete but functional tech lying around? Wipe the drive and give it away? Craigslist? Straight to trash? Hoard because it's a piece of electronic history and maybe you'll use it someday?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »
What do people do with all the additional obsolete but functional tech lying around? Wipe the drive and give it away? Craigslist? Straight to trash? Hoard because it's a piece of electronic history and maybe you'll use it someday?

eBay!  Wipe it, sell it, save the cash.

Or, if it's old and not worth shipping (an old desktop I used as a router until I replaced it), free on CL, just to have it out of the house.

I have a lot of gizmos, but I do use most of them, and doing freelance web development work on occasion, having a variety of devices around to test websites on is actually quite useful to me.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 04:49:57 PM »
I'm the guy who gets the scraps from others and things get used until they won't power on at all anymore. It's been a decade since I wrote my first line of code but I have yet to purchase a laptop with my own monies.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
I have:
  • Note 2: purchased used earlier this year
  • 2011 Macbook Pro

Mojoman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 09:41:45 AM »
Stuff we use:

48" Vizio LED TV
32" No-name LCD TV
Yamaha Home Theater Receiver
Samsung Bluray player
Netgear dual band router
2.1 Home Theater Speaker system
2011 13" MacBook Pro
Custom built Windows 8 Desktop i5 3570K 16GB RAM
27" Dell IPS 1440p Monitor
23" Acer LCD 1080p Monitor
Motorola Moto G Android cell phones ×2 (Republic Wireless)
Kindle Paperwhite
B&N Nook Simple Touch
Roku 2
Roku 2XS

Stuff we need to get rid of / aren't using:

Old Mac Mini
Old MacBook Pro
Old PowerMac G5
Old Dell Linux laptop

sabertooth3

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
I like electronics, not to a ridiculous degree, but a semi-ridiculous degree.
  • Custom-built desktop, 4.5 years old
  • 2 Laptops, 1 unused, both 4-5 years old
  • 50" Plasma, 4 years old
  • PS4, 1 year old
  • PS3, 7 years old
  • 32" LCD, 4 years old
  • 2 19" TVs, unused, 5-6 years old
  • 2 iPhone 6s (T-Mobile, no contract.)
  • Kindle Paperwhite, 1 year old
  • Original Kindle, 3 years old
  • Kindle Fire HD, pretty new
  • iPad Air (1st gen), refurbished
If it doesn't say unused, then we use it every day.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:03 AM »
Laptop - use for travel, some use at home (moderate use, several times a week)
Desktop - used as my VMware lab (studying for VMware Certified Professional exam) and gaming PC (games 2-3x a week for 30-60min)
Modem/router for internet and home network
Nexus 5 cell phone, very heavy daily use (long distance relationship factors into this as well)
60" TV / surround sound, used by four people (myself and three roommates), moderate use
Chromecast attached to home theater, moderate use
Bluray player attached to home theater, light use
Sony A5000 digital camera with two lenses, heavy use
GoPro video camera, haven't used in ages (should use it for offroading but it's annoying to set up)

I think that's it...except a much older point & shoot camera that is no longer needed/used. Probably going to gift it away soon.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 11:15:31 AM »
I'm the guy who gets the scraps from others and things get used until they won't power on at all anymore. It's been a decade since I wrote my first line of code but I have yet to purchase a laptop with my own monies.

Same here.   I just pulled a wireless usb stick out of a 10 year old computer to connect an htpc I got for free.    It's nice to have a little bit of a junkyard if you have the room.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »
I REALLY want a tablet. I've set my eyes on a high end one (Galaxy Tab S 10.5") but I won't get it unless I can hit my side hustle goals. Or unless it magically drops below $200.

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2015, 04:30:26 AM »
Macbook air, iMac, iPad, iPhone, kindle. I work in tech and need to stay up to date with all the new possibilities. My company paid for all of it.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 11:03:39 AM »
I REALLY want a tablet. I've set my eyes on a high end one (Galaxy Tab S 10.5") but I won't get it unless I can hit my side hustle goals. Or unless it magically drops below $200.

If you're OK with a 7" tablet, you can get a Nexus 7 (2012 or 2013 model) for not that much used.  The 2013 model is going used for just over $100 on eBay, and are very solid tablets (my 2013 Nexus 7 is my primary tablet).  The 2012 is cheaper, but performance is a lot worse on it.  It's usable, but not nearly as nice as the 2013, for not a huge savings at this point.

Macbook air, iMac, iPad, iPhone, kindle. I work in tech and need to stay up to date with all the new possibilities. My company paid for all of it.

Yeah, working in tech does tend to lead to that.  One nice thing about Apple hardware is that it holds value absurdly well.  Stupidly so, in some cases...  I just upgraded my TV Mac Mini from a 2007 to a 2010 model (the old one was getting cranky, couldn't run the modern OSes, and generally wasn't doing the job so well anymore) for about $70, because I got a good deal on the new one and the old one went for an absurd amount on eBay.

=============

One thing I've found to be very useful/profitable (and am actually making use of today) is the willingness and ability to dive deeply into tech hardware & do low level repairs.  A lot of stuff can be repaired for far less than the cost of replacement, or can be fixed for not that much money (if you have a bit of money to throw at the problem, you can often do it "for free").  I literally don't know how many laptops I've repaired or scrapped out over the years - people will give you something free if it's "broken," and frequently, the problem can be repaired for a few hours of time or $50 in parts.  Full screen assemblies are easy to find on eBay, and if you have an older laptop, it's screen, separated, is probably worth more than the whole unit.  I've purchased several broken machines of a type for very little, created one or two working machines out of it, and sold the entire lot of hardware for way more than I paid for the parts.  Today, I'm going to spend a few hours of time repairing a laptop power jack for someone - it's intermittent, and this is a common failure of power jacks (I know, because I've repaired half a dozen).  Pull it open, resolder it or replace it, and get paid in cash or beer.  It's a pretty slick side gig. :)

My philosophy in college with regards to computers was, "If it's broken in some way, I literally cannot make it worse if I screw up trying to fix it."  So I delved deeply into a lot of hardware that "wasn't working" in some way or another, and in most cases, was able to fix or otherwise make functional the device.  My favorite repair was disabling the onboard RAM on a 12" Powerbook that had a bad bit of memory and glitched out graphics badly.  I pulled it apart, found the DRAM chips on the board, and pulled the power pins for them up so they didn't get used.  The machine lost 256MB RAM (of 1.2 installed), but an unusable machine became usable again. :)  Worth a few hours...

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »
One person...

2010 Dell i3 desktop.
Old Logitech speakers, old Grado headphones, old printer, and a TV tuner hooked up to said desktop.
Nexus 4

Mainly use the tuner to watch the nfl. Will probably upgrade desktop and printer next year.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2015, 04:30:20 PM »
2 adults, 2 little kids:

2 smartphones in use plus 2 older ones as a back-up in case we break ours.
2012 iPad
2012 netbook
2014 desktop
2008 desktop, 90% broken, in basement in case ????? (My h is a packrat)
H has at least 2 mp3 players, he keeps the 3/4 dead ones.  See packrat, above.
3 old fashioned CD players. Kids each have one for bedtime music, plus the living room. I guess we could just ha 've a speaker and play music off our phones? I'm old and I like my CDs dammit! ( I'm a millennial lol).

If the netbook and iPad die we'll replace it with a single device. Kids will acquire tablets of their own at some point.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2015, 04:57:22 PM »
We have 2 ZTE Awe Phones (Both were $25 each) with Virgin Mobile (We are on the grandfathered $25/month plan) and we have an HP laptop we purchased in Sept. 2009. We do not own any IPADs, Kindles or other tablets. If we want to get more technical we also have a 47 Inch Vizio HDTV we bought in March 2010 for our living room (after we bought our house) and a 32 inch Magnavox HDTV in our bedroom that was bought in Aug 2008 (Originally the main TV when we lived in apt). We also have a Sony Wifi Blu Ray Player (got for free as a gift) in our living room and a Roku in the bedroom. We also have a good quality Fuji Digital Camera (Ended up free thanks to a Target gift card we got as a gift).

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2015, 05:55:36 PM »
I have a 3 yo smartphone, 4 yo PC laptop (hope to get a few more years out of it), a digital camera and a 5yo modem. Oh and a hand me down stereo from a friend which is probably 10yo.

DH has a lot of electronica. He has a similar list to mine above with newer laptop & phone plus an iPad. And a whole bunch of stuff that's 5+ years old. On the plus side, at least most of it's old. On the downside, I'd be perfectly happy with laptops and phones, no TV etc.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2015, 12:43:16 PM »
2 people:
2 laptops
1 tablet (gift)
2 flip phones
1 digital camera (gift)
1 record player (gift)

Not in use:
kindle
big laptop

Planned purchases:
1 smart phone
1 robot vacuum cleaner

I am psyched to get a smart phone to organise things. I will sell the digital camera once I get the smart phone.

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2015, 01:53:21 PM »
2 person household -  we have an embarrassing amount of electronics, video gaming is DHs hobby

10yr old LCD flat screen TV
3 yr old LED TV
PS4, PS3, XBOX ONE, XBOX360, WII, WIIU
10yr old Hose surround sound
IPad
IPad mini -business device
Surface pro - business computer
5yr old Dell desktop and printer
Expensive new gaming desktop with extra monitor
11yr old digital camera
Moto x
IPhone 4