Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8028765 times)

Knitwit

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4950 on: November 26, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »
Stacked two PC points offers and a store sale, purchased a 2.75kg/6lb bag of frozen fruit for a net cost of $7.50. Best part is that one of the points offers didn't apply correctly, so I emailed customer service. Not only did they apply the missing points, but they left the offer active on my account so I can use it again this week!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4951 on: November 26, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »
Cancelled membership for dog training center (DIY from now on), mended a (literal) hole in my wallet, baked pizzas at home instead of getting take-out, made laundry detergent.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #4952 on: November 26, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »
Made mashed potatoes for the extended family, from home grown potatoes.

superkookyburra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4953 on: November 27, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »
Replaced the battery in the xB's key fob.  Boyfriend wanted to just buy a new fob, claimed replacing the battery would damage the fob and it would forever be falling apart.  I insisted he allow me to try first.  $3.50 for a battery in 3 minutes to change it out! (And the fob is fine - its designed so you can change the batteries easily.)

Decided to check out Mr. Rebates (I usually use eBates) and discovered out I had an account with them YEARS ago.  It had money sitting in it!  Just requested a check for $15.40.  :-D

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4954 on: November 27, 2015, 02:38:24 PM »
Talked to the tree guy our neighbor had working and negotiated some work that really needed to be done on our trees for about half price since he's already here working.  Bonus = more firewood and wood chip mulch.  One of the obvious bonuses of Mustachianism, being able to pay $400 in cash without blinking when a good opportunity comes along.

Bought two 18# turkeys at WinCo today for half price.  They're way too big for just the two of us, I'm going to butcher them down into more manageable sizes and freeze.

Gave away the last fish and unplugged my aquarium.  Will save on electricity and hopefully I can get the whole set sold on Craigslist.  I used to love aquariums, but I have too many hobbies and no time to tinker and enjoy it anymore.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4955 on: November 27, 2015, 02:43:54 PM »
Knew we would need Starbucks money for our upcoming roadtrip (very clean restrooms! Attention fuel! Tradition!). Went on Cardpool for the first time, thanks to this forum, and got a $20 GC for $18.50. Plus, I put it on a rewards card so we will get 1% back. Small things, for sure, but what not save a couple bucks when it is that easy? We will keep checking for Gas cards as well (out right now), but only if it surpasses the 2% reward we get from our CC.

Also did Christmas shopping via Amazon's Black Friday deals. The big score was the headphones Brother wants are $19, down from $100. I always make sure to make my gift plan BEFORE looking at sales, so that I'm not tempted into spending more than planned. I was hoping for sub-$30 per person, and I did $20 per person! Even better.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4956 on: November 27, 2015, 03:24:26 PM »
Today I cut and henna dyed my hair.

I try not to call spending money saving, but...

A couple days ago I stacked several codes and offers from shutterfly and got 5 family members christmas gifts for about $5 total.  yeahhhh.  I know I could skip gifts, but I'm ok with the current giving situation.  Usually I give handmade things, but this year I am flying, so shipping these ahead is nice.  Parents and Grandparents are getting a calendar full of photos I took at the beach town our family has vacationed at for 60 years.  And I made the calendar look good, not just cutesy.  Great Aunt (who writes to me monthly) will be getting writing paper and address labels also created with my photos from the beach town.  Small things that are useful, personal and are only temporary clutter.     

I'm stacking some Amazon deals together to get gifts for 5 others.  I'm waiting out the weekend first though, to see what other discounts arrive!  I've got a $5 credit for using the amazon app, and a $15 back on $60 via my Am Ex card.  Used -like new-  books (for gifts) plus some household neccessities and giftcards to get me to the top of that $60.   

I just discovered an Ibotta rebate for booking through Hotwire... I used priceline.  Sadness! 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4957 on: November 27, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »
Took the turkey carcass and neck, dropped in carrot, celery, onions and a couple of teaspoons of chicken bouillon for added flavor, and simmered the heck out of it for 24 hours. Got 5 quarts of stock and about 3 cups of meat bits and pieces, including a surprising amount from the neck. The stock will be used in soups, casseroles and pot pies for months to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4958 on: November 27, 2015, 04:59:31 PM »
Took the turkey carcass and neck, dropped in carrot, celery, onions and a couple of teaspoons of chicken bouillon for added flavor, and simmered the heck out of it for 24 hours. Got 5 quarts of stock and about 3 cups of meat bits and pieces, including a surprising amount from the neck. The stock will be used in soups, casseroles and pot pies for months to come.

You must not have a resident soup fiend. I go through that much chicken broth every week right now. At least he's a cheap date...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4959 on: November 27, 2015, 05:00:16 PM »
No. I am the soup friend in the family.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4960 on: November 27, 2015, 05:01:53 PM »
No. I am the soup friend in the family.

Chicken soup with spaetzle. Every. damn. night. I try to get exciting with new and innovative bread products to serve alongside the soup, but I am so ready for spring and it's not even December.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4961 on: November 27, 2015, 05:03:47 PM »
Ha! I would be happy eating the same few things again and again, but DH wants VARIETY!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4962 on: November 27, 2015, 05:05:46 PM »
Called in to get wife's cell plan's data doubled. Was on hold a bit, but - I think - it worked (was supposed to be for new activations only but their competitors were offering the same deal, so no issue to switch).

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #4963 on: November 27, 2015, 06:47:40 PM »
Dug potatoes today. Got about 100 pounds. It weighed in at 110, but I am guessing 10 pounds is mud. Also got 18 pounds of carrots and daikon radishes.
This is about the end this year. There are maybe another 80 pounds of potatoes out there, and a few more daikon.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4964 on: November 29, 2015, 10:23:37 AM »
Sunday afternoon grocery trip, I was kind of late so I thought Aldi had already closed. Decided to still walk over and have a look and ... they were open for another hour. Saved me around 10 euros I think, by not having to visit the expensive supermarket for the weekly groceries.

Dropped off my sister and her boyfriend yesterday after visiting our parents for their birthdays. This saved Sis and Co. about 10 euros and a half hour in traveling time, only a 15 minute detour and Sis thanked me by donating a collection of loose leaf tea she had sitting around. Everybody wins :-)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4965 on: November 29, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »
Continued my freezer cleaning.  Dug out a tube of frozen chorizo and some peppers I froze last summer.  Combined with the wilting remains of my bunch of celery and some dried beans I prepped earlier this week and a slow cooker full of chili was born.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4966 on: November 30, 2015, 08:18:12 AM »
DH and I decided to push ourselves to get to December before grocery shopping more. This has led to some good creativity with our meals, and digging through the freezer. It will also help us cut down on food extra when we travel in December.

shawn77777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4967 on: November 30, 2015, 07:14:01 PM »
Well ever since I paid off my house last month I have been blowing money like crazy.  Anyway back on the straight and narrow today took leftovers for lunch had them for dinner aswell.  Got enough combos for bfast, lunch and dinner tomorrow.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #4968 on: November 30, 2015, 07:40:51 PM »
Decided not to enroll my son (4 YO) in swimming lessons for the winter session.  It's $75 for 10 weeks of 30 min classes, and he spends 1/4 of his time sitting on the side while the other children swim.  He has fun, but it's not worth the hassle of planning our weekends around it, and I hate how crowded the locker rooms are during lessons. 

I've decided that I will take him to free swim(not free, just "open" to the public) myself now that he is no longer napping (free swim is 12 - 3pm on weekends).  $0 for him, $3 for me, and if memory serves me right, it's pretty quiet in the pool at that time.  I taught swimming when I was a teen, so I'll do some reading online to brush up on techniques.  Should be fun for both of us!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4969 on: November 30, 2015, 11:41:52 PM »
Was going to buy a book online because our city library system didn't have it. Checked the county library system, found a copy 15 minutes away. We are blessed to have about 15 million items available between the two library systems, not including many smaller municipal and collegiate libraries in the vicinity as well. Life is good.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #4970 on: December 02, 2015, 09:17:54 AM »
Was going to buy a book online because our city library system didn't have it. Checked the county library system, found a copy 15 minutes away. We are blessed to have about 15 million items available between the two library systems, not including many smaller municipal and collegiate libraries in the vicinity as well. Life is good.

I'm on the same wavelength as you today. I am getting familiar with the online library system and requested a book I had put on my list to buy. Win!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4971 on: December 02, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
Used Ibotta to get $0.75 on groceries yesterday.

The ugly fruit rack is back at our grocery store! 12 apples for $1.98, and 4 orange bell peppers for $0.99. The apples will go for cranberry applesauce, and the peppers will be sliced and frozen to be tossed into curries and stir frys.

Skipped my usual beginning of the month Costco trip since we will be traveling ~2 weeks this month, and don't want any food to go bad. While this means more expensive eggs, etc, from elsewhere, the lack of waste will offset this I think. And we could probably even unplug and defrost the fridge when we leave if we play it right.

DH was able to go into campus 1 hr later yesterday then usual, saving $4 on parking because of the way their pricing structure works. Wish he could do this every day!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4972 on: December 03, 2015, 12:16:10 AM »
1) Cut 3 boys hair tonight.

2) Moved handcream from bottle with broken pump device into an almost empty one.

3) Helped son hot glue some cheap, dollar store Christmas decorations onto an old sweater we already had rather than purchasing a new, ugly Christmas sweater.

4) Reading cookbooks from the library instead of buying them, which was my pre-MMM habit.

5) Lost 20 lbs and am now fitting clothes I haven't fit into since 2009 - glad I didn't Kon Marie them!

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #4973 on: December 03, 2015, 06:23:33 AM »
1) Cut 3 boys hair tonight.

2) Moved handcream from bottle with broken pump device into an almost empty one.

3) Helped son hot glue some cheap, dollar store Christmas decorations onto an old sweater we already had rather than purchasing a new, ugly Christmas sweater.

4) Reading cookbooks from the library instead of buying them, which was my pre-MMM habit.

5) Lost 20 lbs and am now fitting clothes I haven't fit into since 2009 - glad I didn't Kon Marie them!

Congratulations!

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #4974 on: December 03, 2015, 06:54:59 AM »
1) Coming on 3 weeks straight of bringing my lunch to work everyday.

2) Yesterday at work a colleague (who had brought middle eastern treats with hummus to dip for everyone to share last week) was sad to see that no one was eating the rest of her hummus in the fridge (still about 3/4 full).  So I took the hint and brought some pita bread to work today to eat with the hummus alongside my leftover quinoa salad.  And I'll gladly do the same tomorrow!

3) Started running the dishwasher only every other day/as needed.  We got into the bad everyday habit when our first baby started bottle feeding (cause I hate washing bottles by hand - the ones we use have like 4 parts per bottle.  It's fiddly).  Now that our second baby is only drinking 2 bottles per day, I've got enough bottles to not need them washed every day.

4) Successfully dropped my 1 Coke Zero per day habit.  Yay! Drinking lots more water and tea now.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #4975 on: December 03, 2015, 01:12:32 PM »
This is right in my wheelhouse... Here is what I did today (its like this most days):

1) Had a piece of apple pie for breakfast.  Made from apples from my tree out back, the other ingredients probably cost $0.50 for the whole pie, so the slice was maybe $0.07.  I do this most of October through February (when my fruit runs out from storage).  The rest of the year I have a  peanut butter and jam sandwich, with the jam being homemade mulberry jam I make from the tree out back.  Jam costs almost nothing, the rest... maybe $0.15?

2) I wore a complete wardrobe I get at yard sales.  Dress shoes for $2, brand new high end work socks for $0.50, khaki pants for $3, dress shirt for $1, underwear was free (some guy had a "free" yard sale last year, and I got a number of brand new pair for $0 - I think he was clearing out items from a deceased relative?).

3) I live alone during the week, so I turn down / off the heat (or AC in the summer) when I leave for work.  At night I turn the temperature way down as well and just use a oil filled radiator to heat my bedroom - this saves a dollar or two at least a day, maybe more.

4) I worked out in the office gym at lunchtime.  Dividing the subsidized gym rate by the days I go, it costs me $0.50 per day.  My clothes are all high end wicking cloth style items (except the socks and shorts).  They're all underarmor, russell athletic, etc... brands, and maybe cost $5 total.

5) I shower in the gym so I don't have to when I am home.  I estimate it saves ~$0.30 per shower (no water, no gas to heat water).  I use soap, shampoo given to me from my GF from her travel hotel stays with her job - I haven't bought either for at least 5 years now.

6) Ate my homemade lunch I brought to work.  I make a batch of food each weekend and store in corning ware lidded dishes I get for almost nothing at yard sales.  Brown rice + various vegetables + chicken (leftover turkey this week), along with a protein powder drink (and a tangerine from our vacation in Florida last month), I estimate the cost at about $1 per day.   There is a microwave in the office kitchenette I use.

7) Tonight will be more turkey leftovers for dinner.  Cost will be almost nothing.

8) In the evening I will be listing items on ebay to sell.  Basically unlimited listings through the weekend with no listing fees, I want to get as many in as I can now.  I have brought in over $1,000 this year on items I pick up for almost nothing at yard sales.

9) Tonight I will amuse myself with the internet or a DVD.  Not interested in any cable TV.  I can watch OTA shows if needed, but that's not very often.  For the internet I get the cheapest level locally available - only $35/mo.

10) To end the day I will call my girlfriend using Skype.  No expensive phone service for me.  I use tracfone as needed (I have my GF give me a wakeup call every morning via my tracfone), and talk with her for free in the evening using skype.  I also use majicjack on my computer for regular phone service - total for the year is maybe $110.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:44:57 PM by PhrugalPhan »

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4976 on: December 03, 2015, 01:55:03 PM »
Just turned off the heat.  64 is warm enough in a sweatshirt and sheepskin slippers.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4977 on: December 03, 2015, 02:05:28 PM »
PhrugalPhan -- impressive list!

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4978 on: December 03, 2015, 03:50:20 PM »
I roasted a free turkey I got last night and have spent the day making pot after pot of stock. I think we'll get close to 16 cups of meat, plus 8 quarts of super concentrated broth. Free food is the yummiest kind!

I'm cooking dinner: chicken soup and waffled mozzarella.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #4979 on: December 03, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »
I made soup for dinner last night: potato, home-grown spinach, garlic, onion and home-made yoghurt. Yum!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4980 on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:48 PM »
Instead of meeting a friend for lunch, we met midafternoon for coffee. Cheaper for both of us, better for her daughter's nap time, and then she doesn't have to play the "food allergy guessing game" while eating out. Oh, and she's a frugal one too. Wins all around.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4981 on: December 03, 2015, 11:27:28 PM »
Installed two sink faucet aerators we got as part of a free "save water!" kit we got from our water company. This should slightly reduce our overall interior water use.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4982 on: December 04, 2015, 10:05:27 AM »
our refrigerator's water dispenser stopped dispensing water. instead of buying parts to replace it, we now have this:

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4983 on: December 04, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »
Hey - we seem to be graduates of the same repair school! I did this today, rather than spending $50 on a plastic hinge.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4984 on: December 04, 2015, 11:34:15 AM »
Hey - we seem to be graduates of the same repair school! I did this today, rather than spending $50 on a plastic hinge.

Hey, you're right! It's Frugal Fix Friday :)

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4985 on: December 04, 2015, 11:41:01 AM »
Visitors came in last night and took us to a BBQ supper.  So for lunch I had BBQ pork nachos made from the BBQ we brought home.

Did the Flo-Bee haircuts for both of us.  Saved another $30.

Next I take the visitors (using their car) to the thrift/consignment/repurpose stores to try to find a used china cabinet.  They are at Salvation Army (SA) right now looking at what SA has available.

Edit: forgot to mention that he is an electrician and I just happen to have a ceiling fixture that needs fixing.  I don't want a redneck fix...;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:43:11 AM by Joggernot »

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4986 on: December 04, 2015, 01:52:35 PM »
Baking bread so I turned off the heat.  The oven keeps the living area from getting too cold. 
Searched through my gifted piano music for a new project piece.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4987 on: December 04, 2015, 02:14:57 PM »
I got Prime Pantry free shipping credits. Amazon is running a deal where you get free shipping if you buy 4 or more among a set of certain items. The free shipping credits and 2 or more free shipping promo stack, so if you buy 4 or more items from the list, you get free shipping and $5.99 off your order total. Among the items were $1 water bottles. After a 5 cent deposit, this leaves you 45 cents of overage PER WATER BOTTLE to apply to other items on your tab. To use up my free shipping credits, I made multiple orders of 3 $1 water bottles and a package of Gerber baby food (also among the promoted items) for way less than the local grocery store, shipped to my door.

Babytooth is bad at being frugal and generally refuses homemade food, but I try.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4988 on: December 04, 2015, 02:17:24 PM »
Used some sad celery and a random half shallot in a soup today. Always trying for that zero produce waste.

Opened up my oven after roasting broccoli so it would heat the house.

Called the vet to confirm that suture removal was included in the cost of the surgery. If not, I would have just done it myself (RN).

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4989 on: December 04, 2015, 02:25:13 PM »
Ate up the rest of my miscellaneous vegetable soup. I had thrown in whatever I had (frozen corn, leftover green beans from Thanksgiving rinsed clean of mushroom goop) and it was delicious!

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4990 on: December 04, 2015, 04:42:17 PM »
* Caught up in this thread.
* Sold a book for $10.
* Received $4.50 back in grocery rebates.
* Using coupons and digital coupons, picked up a bottle of moisturizer for a $1 profit and 2 packs of disposable razors for a $2 profit.
* Elevated inexpensive cod into fancypants soup using lobster broth base (bought on sale with coupons; was same price as chicken).
* Turned off the heat; added a sweater and extra pair of socks instead.
* Remembered to bring DVDs back to the library on time. (Doesn't always happen.)

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #4991 on: December 04, 2015, 05:02:49 PM »
The ugly fruit rack is back at our grocery store! 12 apples for $1.98, and 4 orange bell peppers for $0.99. The apples will go for cranberry applesauce, and the peppers will be sliced and frozen to be tossed into curries and stir frys.
^^ i wish i have an ugly fruit section at my grocery store. so much get wasted just because they don't look good.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4992 on: December 04, 2015, 05:10:59 PM »
^^ i wish i have an ugly fruit section at my grocery store. so much get wasted just because they don't look good.

Well, they took it away with the remodel, and we asked them to bring it back. They said at that point "We're not sure if we'll put it back or not, but you can always ask the produce manager what we have in the back". So there you go- this is an Albertsons, so a pretty "normal" store. Maybe just try asking! "I'll give you $1 for 6 ugly but edible apples" is a pretty good line IMO =P

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4993 on: December 04, 2015, 05:28:39 PM »
 Just put the paperwork in to have all of my grant-funded salary supplement dumped directly into my 457. This'll bring me very, very close to maxing it out in spite of us going to one income this year.  This is the first half of the grant funding; end of the fall semester. Second half will be end of the spring semester, and hopefully I'll be able to do the same thing then.

And the funding is for saving money. :-) Not for me but for students. This is for writng an open textbook that'll be free for students.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4994 on: December 04, 2015, 06:02:49 PM »
Received a fancypants box of chocolates today from a client as an early Christmas gift. I will re-gift it as I need a box of chocolates like a hole in the head. They also gave me a nice cash bonus, which will make a nice addition to the stash.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #4995 on: December 04, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »

Well, they took it away with the remodel, and we asked them to bring it back. They said at that point "We're not sure if we'll put it back or not, but you can always ask the produce manager what we have in the back". So there you go- this is an Albertsons, so a pretty "normal" store. Maybe just try asking! "I'll give you $1 for 6 ugly but edible apples" is a pretty good line IMO =P
Thanks for the great suggestion! =P

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4996 on: December 05, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
Figured out how to turn off booze rebates in ibotta. (I've used them once or twice, but they're crowding out useful groceries now that it's holiday time.)

For anyone interested: In app, tap hamburger nav (3 horizontal stripes in top-left corner), tap gear (top-right corner), go to Preferences, and swipe all the way to bottom. Switch setting to Off, click Save, enter password, and finally done.

Now if only there were an option to turn off babies, pets, and junk food...

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4997 on: December 05, 2015, 11:32:25 AM »
I unregistered my beloved car a few days ago. Will probably get ~100€ "cashback" from insurance and tax => :-).

I only need a car every few month. Renting is far cheaper than owning.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4998 on: December 05, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »
Made French toast this morning with bread left over from a church supper Thursday. Now boiling pasta to use sauce left over from the same event.

Made up a list of things I have that could be wrapped up and given to family members for Christmas instead of buying new things. I'm not sure I'm going to do it, but I'm seriously tempted.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4999 on: December 05, 2015, 01:52:07 PM »
Made French toast this morning with bread left over from a church supper Thursday. Now boiling pasta to use sauce left over from the same event.

Made up a list of things I have that could be wrapped up and given to family members for Christmas instead of buying new things. I'm not sure I'm going to do it, but I'm seriously tempted.

I did this one year, but we were young and suuuuper broke so we could get away with it :-). And some of them were things that were actually on the person's list, like a griddle pan for my sister and hot rollers for my mom. And some of them were board games.