Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029371 times)

kittenwhiskers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4400 on: September 23, 2015, 10:24:14 PM »
We wanted corned beef sandwiches... the price for sliced corned beef at the local store's deli $13.99/lb! Turns out a corned beef brisket costs just above $5 a pound. Stuck it in the crock pot all day and voila! Corned beef for sandwiches, for about a third the cost and the most delicious we've ever had, too!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4401 on: September 24, 2015, 01:19:59 AM »
We wanted corned beef sandwiches... the price for sliced corned beef at the local store's deli $13.99/lb! Turns out a corned beef brisket costs just above $5 a pound. Stuck it in the crock pot all day and voila! Corned beef for sandwiches, for about a third the cost and the most delicious we've ever had, too!

Oooh now you've got me wanting corned beef but I know how long it takes to cook...

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4402 on: September 24, 2015, 04:52:41 AM »
I passed on my meter readings to the utility company I'm leaving. Barely in time;  if I would have done it a day later they would've guestimated my usage on "historic usage" to draw up the final bill. My new supplier of kWh and m3 is cheaper, so I'm glad I didn't get overbilled by the old one.

Only drinking tea and water today, and loving it! I switched the BF to loose leaf tea by filling filter teabags in advance. This will save not only on the hot beverages themselves, but also on waste disposal as the paper baggies can be composted (he previously used plastic mesh ones that ended up in the trash). Small win, but we drink a lot of tea between the both of us so it's another tiny step in the right direction.

I've prepared ingredients for a nice pumpkin pie tonight, first of this autumn season. Already looking forward to it! I will use the residual heat for baking dessert: apple turnovers filled with what's left over from baking apple pie earlier this week.

Yesterday I rode the bike to work through a couple of showers, I'm trying my luck again this afternoon. If I can trust the radar, luck is on my side today and I'll stay dry.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4403 on: September 24, 2015, 06:29:44 AM »
We're working from home and lunch at home has been a bit tricky to work out. There are a few constraints, the main one is I have a lot of nausea from medical treatment and have developed some strong aversions to some of our normal foods (hopefully will wear off post treatment!). However, potatoes are ok as long as I add a shit ton of lemon juice. So most of our lunches at home have been microwaved potatoes in their skin with some sort of topping (usually lemon juice for me).

Which, it turns out, is super cheap. We buy 5kg of potatoes for $5. So lunch for the two of us is under a $1 for 2 people, depending on whether DH adds some more expensive ingredients to his or not.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4404 on: September 24, 2015, 06:16:11 PM »
I received a quote for a green slip for our car (rego due in October) in the mail yesterday.

QBE quoted us $865; I did a price comparison online and the cheapest is GIO at $677. Saved $188 for 30 seconds of Googling.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #4405 on: September 24, 2015, 07:22:42 PM »
only $1 spent on fast food today.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4406 on: September 24, 2015, 08:13:31 PM »
* Ate leftovers, bulk purchased oatmeal and home eggs. Stayed out of the drive-thru.
* Saved $37 on new bedding for the kids with BB&B coupons. The checker was great and we hashed out the best coupons to use for each item.
* Sold and shipped $42 of stuff on eBay
* Did not buy a Food Saver machine from the clearance shelves, because even though it was $100 off and I like saving food and money, I do not actually need a Food Saver, which reminded me of this image shared by the Ultimate Cheapskate last November:

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4407 on: September 24, 2015, 10:53:02 PM »
Are the stale bread. Rejuvenated it with an advacado that was about to turn. Healthy and minimised food wastage and spending :-)

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4408 on: September 25, 2015, 04:34:32 AM »
Fixed a leak tire this morning, so I can ride my bike to work as usual. Seems to hold up so far...
Dogsitting duty today: took dog nr. 1 to the grocery store by bike, did some quick shopping while she waited outside, continued trip to house of doggy nr. 2 and headed back with two dogs running along. No gas used, groceries done at Aldi and both dogs got ample exercise. Yay for win-win!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4409 on: September 25, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »
Planning a trip to the local thrift store to look at book shelves as soon as they open today.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4410 on: September 25, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
Got pizza with friends last night. Leftovers packed for lunch today. I didn't finish my crust last night, so I packed it today instead of throwing it out.  This is more a testament to how flipping good the pizza is than my frugality.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #4411 on: September 25, 2015, 10:47:03 PM »
Today I shared a new challenge my husband and I are undertaking.  We are going to eat on $200 for the next 30 days.  I know it's not a big stretch for the folks here, but we have been overspending  our $16/day food budget and now we're  going to do our level best to stick with a $7/day budget. 

Today I posted on our local buy - nothing page.  I shared our challenge and asked if anyone would like to share some fresh herbs.  I was gifted oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley, chives and some kale.  Holy smokes!  I was blown away.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4412 on: September 26, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »
Today I shared a new challenge my husband and I are undertaking.  We are going to eat on $200 for the next 30 days.  I know it's not a big stretch for the folks here, but we have been overspending  our $16/day food budget and now we're  going to do our level best to stick with a $7/day budget. 

Today I posted on our local buy - nothing page.  I shared our challenge and asked if anyone would like to share some fresh herbs.  I was gifted oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley, chives and some kale.  Holy smokes!  I was blown away.

I love the idea of getting my local buy-nothing group involved with a spending challenge! How great!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4413 on: September 26, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
Left the roots of the leeks I harvested.  I am hoping that in our mild climate they will grow another leek like green onions do.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4414 on: September 26, 2015, 03:09:27 PM »
Yesterday I noticed that someone at work had tossed a nearly full package of hamburger buns in the trash.  Fished them out and I'm about to feed them to my chickens.

Used a $10 of coupon at the feed store to purchase the economy size packages of vitamin supplements and fly spray.  Thought I could make it through the rest of the year without buying fly spray but ick, they flies get so obnoxious right before it gets cold and my horses were throwing tantrums about it when I needed them to hold still so I could trim their hooves.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4415 on: September 26, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »
This morning I tried the "trick" I learned earlier in this thread:  used one tea bag in a 2 cup pot rather than trying to re-use the tea bag for a second cup.  Worked great!

I was headed out to run errands late this morning.  We just returned for vacation so none of my usual thrifty lunch options were available (i.e., leftovers or fresh fruit).  But I knew I would succumb to the lure of restaurant or fast food if I went out without eating.  1/2 a can of refried beans with a little homemade salsa filled the bill.

I also took a re-usable container of cold tap water with me.  It's still hot here so this enabled me to skip ice tea at Starbucks.  (There's a Starbucks 1/2 mile from my house, across from the library which I have to pass every time I leave my neighborhood.)

Made sun tea and yogurt after I returned from shopping.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #4416 on: September 26, 2015, 08:36:51 PM »
I pulled a couple of pieces of roasted turkey carcass / thighs out of the freezer with some saved, frozen onion scraps, a bay leaf and some parsley stalks and simmered it all up for several hours with water and a splash of vinegar to make turkey broth. It will go in soup, or home made risotto.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4417 on: September 26, 2015, 10:35:53 PM »
This morning I tried the "trick" I learned earlier in this thread:  used one tea bag in a 2 cup pot rather than trying to re-use the tea bag for a second cup.  Worked great!

I tried this too, a few months ago, and am now a total convert to tea in a pot! So great, the little tips and tricks we can share here. Thanks to everyone who posts here -- even the smallest idea may be something that someone else has never heard about before. This thread is such a treasure trove!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4418 on: September 26, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »
Superspendy awesome date night with husband: awesome restaurant and drinks, comedy club and drinks, plus babysitter, BUT:

* Wore a free dress and necklace I found in a trash pile on the curb and totally got a compliment on the dress from a stylish girl at the comedy club
* Got free tickets to another show at the club for liking them on Twitter.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4419 on: September 27, 2015, 01:42:17 AM »
Got the battery in my iPhone 5 replaced for $70. Well worth it as the battery now lasts more than an hour. (My less Mustachian husband was encouraging me to get a new phone, but I couldn't justify $80+ a month compared with my currently free phone ($30/month plan, and I get a $30/month phone subsidy from work).

My husband unplugged the Kinect part of his Xbox because he never uses it amd it was just drawing power.

We saw Everest today, had $8 movie tickets (and I book online to accrue extra Cinebuzz points = closer to free movie tickets).

My birthday is next month so yesterday we spent about $30 on a couple of little things (mostly stationery, which I love). I had to keep a straight face when the girl at Kikki K said she had been on the Tiffany website picking out her birthday present. When we left I reminded my husband that he is to never buy me Tiffany.

Had two hours' notice that relatives are staying tonight, and will want feeding, so I have a chook in the oven. Dinner plus lunches plus stock from the carcass.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4420 on: September 27, 2015, 04:24:31 AM »
Got the battery in my iPhone 5 replaced for $70. Well worth it as the battery now lasts more than an hour. (My less Mustachian husband was encouraging me to get a new phone, but I couldn't justify $80+ a month compared with my currently free phone ($30/month plan, and I get a $30/month phone subsidy from work).

My husband unplugged the Kinect part of his Xbox because he never uses it amd it was just drawing power.

We saw Everest today, had $8 movie tickets (and I book online to accrue extra Cinebuzz points = closer to free movie tickets).

My birthday is next month so yesterday we spent about $30 on a couple of little things (mostly stationery, which I love). I had to keep a straight face when the girl at Kikki K said she had been on the Tiffany website picking out her birthday present. When we left I reminded my husband that he is to never buy me Tiffany.

Had two hours' notice that relatives are staying tonight, and will want feeding, so I have a chook in the oven. Dinner plus lunches plus stock from the carcass.

We saw Everest in 3d last night (ducks punches- we had a voucher and it was only our 2nd date night this year!) it was good, but annoying that the actors were lying around in the snow without their goggles and masks on- I know it was probably so you could read the actor expressions, but it annoyed me. Though, I suppose had it been properly realistic, you'd have no idea who was who or what they were saying if they didn't take off their face gear.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4421 on: September 27, 2015, 04:33:17 AM »

Resisted the urge to buy an adorable ear cuff that I didn't need and probably would never wear

Took water bottles out the past few days so I wasn't tempted to buy a drink

Was running a little short on decorations for a mini hens party/gathering, so DS and I used printer paper to make cutout snowflakes that were adorable and matched the decor

For my contribution to the party, I used some of our beautiful excess veggies and fruit to make a great healthy savoury platter, rather than buying more.

Was inspired to declare October a maximum moustache challenge month (was reading old MMM posts and got inspired), have figure out that if I buckle down and increase my savings by $100/pay I can move my NW $0 date from Dec 31 to Dec1 this year. I'm soo looking forward to having those student loans paid!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4422 on: September 27, 2015, 04:50:54 AM »
Mum and Dad will bring us a visit today, and a programmable thermostat + a wooden parasol. I'll bake them something tasty to say thanks.

I'm on a laundry marathon. After weeks of rainy weather, it's sunny today and the coming days so I'm using this opportunity to dry everything in the sun now I have the chance.

Used an "expired" pack of soycream last night (it had been stored in the fridge so I figured it was save). Nobody is exhibiting symptoms yet so I guess we'll live.

The cuttings I took from some house plants are making roots. Little tip: a pinch of aspirine in the water (or use water in which willow branches have grown roots), functions as rooting hormone. Double the plants for the cost of an aspirine and some patience.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #4423 on: September 27, 2015, 06:53:39 AM »
Was inspired to declare October a maximum moustache challenge month (was reading old MMM posts and got inspired), have figure out that if I buckle down and increase my savings by $100/pay I can move my NW $0 date from Dec 31 to Dec1 this year. I'm soo looking forward to having those student loans paid!
There will soon be a thread for that very purpose!  The current thread for September is aptly titled, "Savetember," and I expect that the new one will come soon with a similar play on the word "October".

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4424 on: September 27, 2015, 07:35:43 AM »
Bikes to the sporting goods store and bought parts to fix my bike to be street legal again.  :)

The bad:  I saw that they have a 55% discount on a road bike that I wanna buy...

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4425 on: September 27, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »
Took sandwiches and a thermos of coffee with us on our shopping outing.  Having his own coffee enabled the Hub to resist the siren song of the cool coffee machine at WINCO which wants a dollar before it will be your friend.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4426 on: September 27, 2015, 02:09:52 PM »
Skipped the dryer for a load of clothes.  It was a load where 1/2 the items I never use the dryer on anyway.  Not sure I'll do it again.  I have solar panels which generate (yearly) all the electricity we need.  It's an electric dryer so not a lot of incentive.

When I canned tomatoes today I saved the skins and dehydrated them until crispy.  Then turned them to dust in an old coffee grinder.  I read about this somewhere on the internet -not sure where.   Tomato dust can be added to soups or rice or whatever to add a bit of tomato taste.  Or you can just add to hot water for instant tomato soup.   

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4427 on: September 27, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
There will soon be a thread for that very purpose!  The current thread for September is aptly titled, "Savetember," and I expect that the new one will come soon with a similar play on the word "October".

Awesome, thanks!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4428 on: September 27, 2015, 04:55:41 PM »

I think the plan is "Socktober", like Socking away money. =P

Awesome, thanks!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4429 on: September 27, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
When I canned tomatoes today I saved the skins and dehydrated them until crispy.  Then turned them to dust in an old coffee grinder.  I read about this somewhere on the internet -not sure where.   Tomato dust can be added to soups or rice or whatever to add a bit of tomato taste.  Or you can just add to hot water for instant tomato soup.
Ooooh, I had forgotten about that - I have a bunch of tomatoes that I should do that to!

Me today: Used my kmart biking points, doubled coupons and bottle returns from found bottles to make a $2.12 profit buying 4 pie pumpkins, urgently needed cold meds (advil, chloraseptic spray, cough drops), a yogurt, some kashi cereal, and mouthwash. Did it all on my bike, no driving.

Making bread right now from whole grain I got free from Craigslist from some survivalist's Y2K stockup nonsense and ground in my craigslist vitamix, making stuffed pumpkins for dinner.

Breakfast was old fashioned oats with some homemade applesauce from my apple tree mixed in. Lunch was leftover homemade eggplant parm, we had leftovers from using just half of the world's biggest eggplant, which was only a dollar!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:20:40 PM by Jakejake »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4430 on: September 27, 2015, 06:48:37 PM »

We saw Everest in 3d last night (ducks punches- we had a voucher and it was only our 2nd date night this year!) it was good, but annoying that the actors were lying around in the snow without their goggles and masks on- I know it was probably so you could read the actor expressions, but it annoyed me. Though, I suppose had it been properly realistic, you'd have no idea who was who or what they were saying if they didn't take off their face gear.

I read Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer's book on the doomed expedition, in June. A lot of the climbers were inexperienced and, affected by the altitude, that seems to be what they actually did...

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4431 on: September 27, 2015, 07:19:34 PM »
*Used the remains of last night's baguette for french toast this morning.

*Shopped at the farmer's market this morning (not cheap), but I comparison-shopped the stands and picked up the smallest carton of green beans for lunch so as to not have leftovers that might spoil. Saved $2.

*Decided NOT to pick up super-fancy snacks for a film showing today; took some leftover snacks that had been lurking in the house. College students love all free food, so even my pantry leftovers were a hit.

*Walked to and from campus for said showing.

*Ran some numbers with DH's new raise--he'll be maxing out his 403b in 2016!

*Scored free passes to movies Monday and Tuesday nights. DH is taking a friend to The Walk on Monday, so I can get some work done; I'll be seeing The Martian on Tuesday!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4432 on: September 27, 2015, 09:27:45 PM »
Ooooh, I had forgotten about that - I have a bunch of tomatoes that I should do that to!

I. Must. Try. This.

You should post this on some of the "weird food" "strange food" threads in Throw Down The Gauntlet and elsewhere. I wonder what else can be turned to dust for some yummy enhancements.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:29:17 PM by Daisy »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4433 on: September 28, 2015, 06:17:38 AM »

I. Must. Try. This.

You should post this on some of the "weird food" "strange food" threads in Throw Down The Gauntlet and elsewhere. I wonder what else can be turned to dust for some yummy enhancements.

I love the idea of the strange food thread! I use kelp powder in a lot of my soups, and Nom Nom Paleo has a recipe for "magic powder" that's mushrooms and stuff into a dust that's an umami BOMB. So good. And I hate mushrooms =P

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4434 on: September 28, 2015, 11:47:41 AM »
Made lemonade  lemons from my backyard tree:  lemons, water and simple syrup (water/sugar). 

Decided not to wash bath towels today.  Usually I change them out once a week on Mondays.  But really, how dirty can they be after 7 showers?  Did swap out wash cloth.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4435 on: September 28, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »
Finished and sent away some work I had to do for a friend - will net me $100 eventually!

Am taking kids to the movies today for DS birthday. Have pre-purchased snacks and water bottles (I'm happy to get them popcorn or a slushee for a bday treat, but paying $6/bottle for water just drives me mad!)

Made and froze 7 portions of delicious pumpkin/carrot/coconut milk soup for work next week, all in recycled jars/containers.

Double checked my outgoing direct deposits, thankfully, saw that I had accidentally not removed one I wouldn't be paying this month (3 paycheck month) - saved $55!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4436 on: September 28, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
Like 11ducks my efforts today have largely been about bringing in money.

I claimed my 2016 diary through petty cash at work. First time I've done that, and they didn't even blink (makes me think I should have asked before now.)

And my husband found out he can claim phone travel expenses directly through work which will remunerate him for the total amount, rather than claiming a percentage back on tax.

So that is an extra $126 for the day.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4437 on: September 29, 2015, 04:53:07 PM »
Submitted receipt for FSA reimbursement. If I make $20 an hour and pay $7 for childcare, only paying taxes on $13/hour is definitely enough money to notice!

Made hummus.

Contacted lawyer's office about having wills made. I bought a prepaid legal plan for this year only with the idea that we would get our wills done, then cancel it during open enrollment. For $189, we get a full-out estate plan with every single document the lawyer recommends. We could even set up a trust for the kids. You know, if we had any money :-).

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4438 on: September 29, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »
It was pretty rainy and windy today, but I hauled my butt to the bus stop and took public transit to my hair appointment (instead of calling an Uber, which the weather could have warranted). Public transit FTW.

Leftovers for lunch. Leftovers for dinner. I'm getting pretty good at this leftovers game...

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #4439 on: September 29, 2015, 06:44:20 PM »
Last night, I brought groceries home on the plane with me, from my cheap visiting city to my expensive home city. Some for my students from faraway lands who have trouble finding stuff here, but some (galangal, lemon grass, cilantro, limes, legumes, peppers) for me. Got a pot of green curry paste on the go now.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4440 on: September 30, 2015, 09:25:14 AM »
I didn't buy food yesterday when visiting family. I ate the snacks I store in my purse and waited for dinner. (Why do other people think 9pm is "dinner time"? Am I the weirdo or are they...? But I digress).

I exchanged a wooden spatula at Bed Bath and Beyond. We had gotten the set as part of finishing off our gift cards and registry, but when we opened them up, it was split by the handle =( So instead of just ordering a different one through amazon to avoid a store trip, we went while visiting family since the store there is easier to get to.

Stocked the chest freezer with meat again. Old Game from family. Most of it is still great, it's just some is freezer burnt so we keep an eye out. Most is 4 years old.

Inflated our tires, that should improve gas mileage some.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4441 on: September 30, 2015, 10:16:33 AM »
I was craving something sweet to go with my tea.  Instead of buying a biscotti, I pulled out a small jar of jam (a gift) to eat with a stale focaccia roll. 

I made the focaccia rolls on Sunday (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/04/focaccia-rolls/). Mine are really flat, but they still taste good. 

zoltani

« Reply #4442 on: September 30, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »
Bought a whole salmon for $5...but needed to clean and filet it myself. Unfortunately I haven't done that in years so I wasted some of the flesh. Still a good deal for fresh fish though.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4443 on: September 30, 2015, 03:29:05 PM »
I was craving something sweet to go with my tea.  Instead of buying a biscotti, I pulled out a small jar of jam (a gift) to eat with a stale focaccia roll. 

I made the focaccia rolls on Sunday (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/04/focaccia-rolls/). Mine are really flat, but they still taste good.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #4444 on: September 30, 2015, 05:05:56 PM »
When DW gets home from work in half an hour we are going to walk into town and run a few errands. I just texted her and asked her if she wanted to hit up our favourite little sushi place for dinner. Of course she does.

Then...my Mustachian gene kicks in. Although we can virtually stuff ourselves with sushi for a reasonable $25, my mind drifts to the produce drawer in our fridge - full of fresh veggies. So I am about to chop up a bunch of veggies, set up the rice cooker so that we can have a home made stir-fry when we get back from our walk into town.

Even though I am FIRE'd, the habits allowed me to get here are hard to let go of...

I might get the eye-roll treatment from DW...my stir-fry skills are quite advanced, but even I'll admit the sushi place is better.

Well, I gotta start choppin' veggies. ;)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4445 on: September 30, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »

Nailed it.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #4446 on: September 30, 2015, 05:28:16 PM »
I didn't bring my wallet with me when picking up DD. Saved us from picking up something to eat for dinner. And dinner is being made at home. :-)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4447 on: September 30, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »
* Harvested pattypan squash, sunchokes, basil and chicken eggs from the garden.

* Sold some more junk on eBay and cleaned up some baby stuff for listing on Craigslist. If the baby stuff doesn't sell, which it might not, I'll take it over the children's consignment shop and get store credit that I can apply to our next pair of children's shoes.

* Punched myself in the face and set up a "family cloth" station in our bathroom. We can afford TP, but apparently I hate disposables and just LOOOOVE doing laundry, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #4448 on: September 30, 2015, 06:30:05 PM »
* Punched myself in the face and set up a "family cloth" station in our bathroom. We can afford TP, but apparently I hate disposables and just LOOOOVE doing laundry, so I'm going to give it a shot.
That's something I would have never thought of. Good luck with that!  Based on the comment section, you'll be glad you decided to go with the family cloth.  I'm trying to do laundry only once every two weeks, so I don't know how well that would work for me...I'll have to keep an open mind...

Today I made dinner with stuff around the house.  The best part is the leftovers!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4449 on: October 01, 2015, 10:37:20 AM »
Well yesterday I dealt with the latest grocery sack of guavas given me by my neighbor.  Previous offerings had been eaten fresh, processes and frozen for smoothies, and canned as guava butter.

This time I seeded and pureed them: 

I made two loaves of Guava Bread (using a basic banana bread recipe) and gave one to my neighbor.

I canned 4 jars of guava BBQ sauce (using guavas as the fruit component).  I'm not a big BBQ sauce user but thought they would make interesting Christmas gifts.   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:46:48 AM by mary w »