Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3515197 times)

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4000 on: August 02, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »
Shaving cartridges are ridiculous!  I ended up getting one of the vibrating Mach 5 razors for sensitive skin.  About the same prices as the other Mach 5 stuff, but I find I can get 15 or so shaves from each cartridge instead of just 3 or 4 with most others.  Plus the last time my parents were in town I was out of work and they bought me like a year's supply.  So technically it was free.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4001 on: August 02, 2015, 05:48:01 PM »
As of August 1, my husband and I are 'counting every dollar' this month.

It's been a while since we've done this so it will be good to see if we can identify a few spending areas where we can improve.

This morning, made breakfast, packed lunches (with a cold brick for my husband because he's not going straight into the office. In the past he might have used that as excuse to buy lunch), pegged out a load of washing, skipped ironing my dress... that's frugal, right? I saved all that electricity... :)

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4002 on: August 02, 2015, 07:12:21 PM »
Shaving cartridges are ridiculous!  I ended up getting one of the vibrating Mach 5 razors for sensitive skin.  About the same prices as the other Mach 5 stuff, but I find I can get 15 or so shaves from each cartridge instead of just 3 or 4 with most others.  Plus the last time my parents were in town I was out of work and they bought me like a year's supply.  So technically it was free.

Do you know about Dorco? They're great and much cheaper.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4003 on: August 02, 2015, 08:05:23 PM »
+1 for Dorco razors!

Husband and I have made the switch. Just ordered myself some new cartridges today. My husband has a heavy beard, and he gets over a month of shaves from one blade! Amazing!

http://www.dorcousa.com

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #4004 on: August 02, 2015, 08:16:55 PM »
In the past few months we've cut the grocery bill for the two of us down from $650 a month to $350. I've been whittling away at it, and yesterday I only spent $62 for the week's groceries. I used $13.25 of coupons for stuff we would have bought anyway.

(I facepunch myself for never budgeting or even trying to spend less on groceries before this, though. What a waste.)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4005 on: August 02, 2015, 08:23:46 PM »
*Made a gluten free friend some easy fudge for a birthday cake as a surprise ... melt 3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, pinch of salt, stir in 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla when melted, and pour into a lined 8x8 pan. Easy peasy! Its hot out and I'm recovering surgery so this is all I could muster, but I think the surprise will still be worth it!

*Turned back the a/c now that I'm feeling more comfortable post-op

*Enjoying food brought by kind family members and then will switch to eating food I prepared in advance in the freezer

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #4006 on: August 04, 2015, 01:46:37 PM »
I tried out a tip and loved it: I tried using hair conditioner (dollar store) instead of shaving cream for shaving my legs. It works like a dream, and now I have a use for all those bottles of conditioner that were going unused!!

A friend swears by using olive oil instead of shaving cream.  Although, he's a man and its for his face not legs.  Might work fore someone though.

Didn't work for me - clogged up my razors. :)

I use (homemade) soap.  Works just fine and i get cleaner in the process.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4007 on: August 04, 2015, 01:59:49 PM »
Sanded and stained our deck instead of hiring someone to do it.

Doesn't look quite as good as "the Joneses" deck next door, but we are pretty pleased.

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #4008 on: August 04, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »
I have to do an overnight tour tonight that is closer to my work than my house so after I get out of here, I'm going to attempt to sleep in my car for a few hours instead of driving 30 miles home to drive 60 miles back and forth just a few hours later.  I can still get reimbursed if I don't tell them since they don't know how crazy I am :)  Then I can work from home tomorrow and save another 60 miles roundtrip.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4009 on: August 04, 2015, 07:16:52 PM »
Finally sewed the missing buttons back onto two shirts of mine that my wardrobe has been sorely missing.

Also figured out how to patch a frayed area near the waistband of a pair of my husband's cargo pants - it will involve a piece of an iron-on jeans patch cut from a larger pice that has already been partially used to fix something else. It's blue and the pants are brown, so it's going on the inside.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4010 on: August 04, 2015, 09:38:23 PM »
*Big shop at Costco

*Using no-poo or sham-free for hair washing. Works wonderfully! I mix 1 Tablespoon of baking soda with 1 cup of water. For the rinse, its 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. That much will last several washes. My hair is looking the same as when I was using shampoo (fancy and cheap--no difference to me) TMI: Scalp health much improved.

*Made 2 loaves of cinnamon raisin bread in the bread machine, set out on the front porch to keep the heat out of the kitchen

*Kids using up movie passes they received as Christmas gifts

*Working our way through the chickens from the farmer. One per week will last me the year. Using up this spring's side of beef before October beef arrives (large family)

*Kids are at the beach swimming with their big sister = free

*Feeling much more like myself after surgery last week and feel excited to dive back into Radical Homemaking! (Hat tip to The Goblin Chief for this book recommendation!)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4011 on: August 05, 2015, 01:07:53 AM »
Glad to hear your surgery went well, 1967mama!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4012 on: August 05, 2015, 01:40:34 AM »
Thanks, homehandymum! nice to feel like a mama again and not a patient! :-)

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4013 on: August 05, 2015, 03:00:52 AM »
I was sick on Sunday and still not great on Monday so didn't cook the planned veggie curry. To be honest still wasn't feeling hungry at all yesterday but I invited someone over and dragged myself into the kitchen, hoping that everything would still be okay. And it was. So pleased I put everything into proper Tupperware containers as soon as I got my delivery last Thursday. Even the chard was still fine, as were the kohlrabi leaves that I'd taken off the kohlrabi. So one giant pot of curry made using a quarter of the biggest onion I've ever seen, the last couple of tomatoes, one courgette, chard, half a kohlrabi plus its leaves, a tin of chickpeas and coconut milk along with various spicy bits and pieces to make it into a curry. And a really delicious one, even if I couldn't really do it justice. Have to laugh that the friend who came over had misread my message and thought I'd be having chicken curry (not chickpea curry) - he went off out to the supermarket to buy some chicken and cooked that separately for himself. Didn't even have any of my lovely Thai curry to go with it, just made up some chip-shop curry from the powder I keep on hand for, ahem, emergencies.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4014 on: August 05, 2015, 03:08:58 PM »
Spendy day today, but at least I reigned it in a bit. BF went to shop for a new tent, but couldn't make up his mind. When he noticed that the store was about to close, he felt somewhat pressured and was about to buy "the next best" tent just to be done with it. I intervened and we shopped online later, found a much better suited tent, better quality for a decent price. Luckily I had a coupon in my mail somewhere and BF got a bonus for signing up for the newsletter. Few tens saved. Still couple of hundreds spent, though. Can't win 'em all, I guess :-/

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4015 on: August 05, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »
*Successfully converted husband to no-poo/sham-free method of hair washing! yay! He says his hair and scalp feel great and the water/baking soda combo was very soothing.

*Quiet day at home with no spending and minimal electricity usage - reading library books, researching a possible one night road trip for next week, eating salad, drinking water

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4016 on: August 05, 2015, 08:15:50 PM »
*Successfully converted husband to no-poo/sham-free method of hair washing! yay! He says his hair and scalp feel great and the water/baking soda combo was very soothing.

I want to switch to this method - did you find the transition period difficult? I'm worried about having to put up with greasy hair for a few weeks while it gets used to not having commercial shampoo.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4017 on: August 05, 2015, 09:53:37 PM »

I want to switch to this method - did you find the transition period difficult? I'm worried about having to put up with greasy hair for a few weeks while it gets used to not having commercial shampoo.

So, chiming in with curly hair- lots of hair, but each strand is thin. I found baking soda mixes far too abrasive. What works for me is "Cowashing", basically, just washing with a special conditioner. Still quite cheap and I avoided the adjustment period. Boar bristle brushed help spread the oil as you adjust, too. Be sure you "strip" the hair if you use silicone-based product. Basically, only silicone containing shampoo will get out a silicone styling product (that whole "like dissolves like" thing in chemistry essentially) so be mindful of what you so to your hair OTHER than washing, because that will determine how well it all works!

Wishing you the best. I'm going on 3 years now and my hair is the least frizzy its ever been (lots less breakage). And cheap to boot!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4018 on: August 05, 2015, 09:59:21 PM »
A family member asked for my assistance in putting together a photo book. I saved them $25 by finding a site with a sale.

My husband and I sometimes commute together (down, attack dogs, down! Work car, work fuel) and we had been getting a bit slack about downloading podcasts on wifi before leaving home, therefore chewing up phone data.

So this week I'm downloading a bunch of free podcasts that we can listen to in the car.

I also feel a lot happier of a morning if we listen to something we've chosen and are interested in, rather than the same 10 minutes headlines repeated for an hour and a half.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4019 on: August 05, 2015, 11:54:54 PM »

Not at all! For me and my husband, the day we started, our hair looked the same as the day before. I'm finding now (after a few weeks of this) that I can go an extra day between washing. And my hair looks and feels nice.  I did this for 6 months straight, 2 years ago and stopped when life got in the way, but I'm so glad I've come back to it. Taps into my Mustachian sensibilities, too <wink>.

As BrackenJoy mentioned, how well it works also depends on what other products you use in your hair. In our case, my husband uses no products and I use a tiny amount of water soluble gel on my curls. YMMV.

Good luck, and let us know how your experimentation turns out, HappierAtHome! The worst thing that could happen is you don't like the results and will have wasted 1 tablespoon of baking soda! haha! Maybe try on a weekend or something where you can hunker down at home if you get the greasy look for a while??

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4020 on: August 06, 2015, 02:20:03 AM »

Not at all! For me and my husband, the day we started, our hair looked the same as the day before. I'm finding now (after a few weeks of this) that I can go an extra day between washing. And my hair looks and feels nice.  I did this for 6 months straight, 2 years ago and stopped when life got in the way, but I'm so glad I've come back to it. Taps into my Mustachian sensibilities, too <wink>.

As BrackenJoy mentioned, how well it works also depends on what other products you use in your hair. In our case, my husband uses no products and I use a tiny amount of water soluble gel on my curls. YMMV.

Good luck, and let us know how your experimentation turns out, HappierAtHome! The worst thing that could happen is you don't like the results and will have wasted 1 tablespoon of baking soda! haha! Maybe try on a weekend or something where you can hunker down at home if you get the greasy look for a while??
And if you do get greasy, oatmeal is the nicest way to deal with it. Just rub dry oatmeal into your scalp (and hair if necessary). It absorbs the grease and leaves a lovely smell, similar to lots of shampoos, except natural. :)  Just brush it out when you're done. Don't try and wash it out 'cos then you'll end up with porridge in your hair. :D   

dorothyc

• Bristles
« Reply #4021 on: August 06, 2015, 06:04:56 PM »

And if you do get greasy, oatmeal is the nicest way to deal with it. Just rub dry oatmeal into your scalp (and hair if necessary). It absorbs the grease and leaves a lovely smell, similar to lots of shampoos, except natural. :)  Just brush it out when you're done. Don't try and wash it out 'cos then you'll end up with porridge in your hair. :D

For dark hair you can also use a little bit of  bittersweet (sugar free) cocoa as a dry shampoo if necessary. Just use it as Moonwaves said.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4022 on: August 06, 2015, 06:58:17 PM »
Skipped the Chinese restaurant on the way home.  Made hot and sour ramen instead.  Cha Ching!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4023 on: August 06, 2015, 07:45:10 PM »
Wrapping my nephew's birthday presents in biodegradable reused materials: brown-paper grocery bags, jute twine and clippings of herb from the garden including incense bush and lemon verbena.

There's nothing eight-year-old boys like than the ecological stylings of the Martha Stewart crowd. Ahem.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4024 on: August 07, 2015, 01:25:03 AM »
*Hung a load of towels to dry

*A lovely friend brought me a post-surgery meal for the family - a shepherd's pie, fruit crisp and carrot muffins for snacks for the kids! It was a total surprise since she lives an hour away

*Used up 3 day old noodles for lunch for the kids with some red sauce and parmesan

*Reading a book I bought (shhh!) as if its a textbook and I'm taking a course. Using a highlighter pen to memorize/internalize salient points and jotting things down on inside of back cover. Its The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson (the marksdailyapple.com guy) - Ive lost 11 lbs which is a modern day miracle! haha  -- this isn't really a way I saved money today, but it feels like at least I'm wringing the most information out of the book that I can for the $$ I spent :-/

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 07:07:55 PM by 1967mama »

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4025 on: August 07, 2015, 02:25:54 AM »
I had to call into the supermarket yesterday to get the last two ingredients to make a curry in a hurry paste - they had neither and so I just left without buying anything, not a frozen pizza, not crisps, not chocolate, nothing. That definitely felt like a victory. Will head to the Turkish supermarket after work and should be able to get what I need there. Was doubly glad I hadn't fallen for the lure of an easily prepared but really not that tasty frozen pizza when I was at home because while chatting to my sister on the phone I remembered I still had leftover kidney bean, carrot and cumin burgers in the fridge. Heated them up and had them in a small wrap stuffed with lettuce and topped with some grated cheese. Sooo good and just what I needed.

I also transferred data into my spending spreadsheet - ten days and counting. It's such an important thing to do and I've been very lax about it for the last year or so.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4026 on: August 07, 2015, 10:20:30 AM »
My buy nothing group came through- again! We set up our home gym, but we live in a... well, slightly rough area. We built a stand for our weights, and wanted a bike lock to run through the centers and secure them to the stand. Not a foolproof system, but enough to deter petty opportunistic stuff, which is the main problem around here. The problem being- no bike lock! So I posted on the group and lo and behold, a neighbor kindly offered me their spare bike chain, thus saving me an $8 amazon purchase. Thanks kind neighbor!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4027 on: August 07, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »
Yesterday my new eye doctor offered me the opportunity to use a new machine rather than the old eye dilator drops.  He pointed out I could go back to work right away, rather than waiting 2-3 hours.  Knowing the worst would be initially afterwards, I planned to have lunch with my husband afterwards who is on the same floor as the eye doctor, and then I'd handle as needed with meetings rather than computer work if needed.  It would cost $35 though, so I declined.  He then offered to me for free (claimed "because my husband works in the building").  I'm guessing he has an expensive machine he tries to get people to pay for, but prefers to use even if they don't (ease, better information, etc.)

$35 saved!  I then promptly spent $13 on a plasma coating for my new hard contacts that he recommended.  I believe in paying where the difference is warranted and saving where it's just convenience.

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #4028 on: August 07, 2015, 05:02:02 PM »
1. Trimmed my hair
2. Watered down the last dregs of dishwashing liquid to finish up the old bottle
3. Donated blood for a research study and got a $25 gift card

SwedishChef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4029 on: August 07, 2015, 05:58:52 PM »
Finally ditched our Verizon contract and account permanently! Got a new job recently, and work gives us phones, offering to port our personal numbers over, plus assume any remaining months of our contracts. Read: free phone!

My husband switched to Republic Wireless recently too (and loves it!), so our monthly phone bill dropped from $114 to $28 -- a $1000 a year savings. A no-brainer!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4030 on: August 07, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »
I'm eating leftover rice for dinner! That definitely counts as "small", but I used to throw away any extra rice. I saved it though last night and now we're eating it tonight. Any tips for re-hydrating/re-heating rice? It's basmati.

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #4031 on: August 07, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
I'm eating leftover rice for dinner! That definitely counts as "small", but I used to throw away any extra rice. I saved it though last night and now we're eating it tonight. Any tips for re-hydrating/re-heating rice? It's basmati.

Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of water, cover the bowl (helps to steam it and prevent it from drying out) and microwave.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4032 on: August 07, 2015, 06:42:06 PM »

I add just a little bit of water to it when I reheat regardless of method of reheating.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4033 on: August 07, 2015, 06:48:38 PM »
Thank you guys! I figured mustachians were a good bunch to ask =)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #4034 on: August 07, 2015, 08:52:58 PM »
Had the fancy German-made riding boots I scored on eBay for $60 repaired.  It cost less than $20 and now I have gorgeous boots that would cost $1200 if I bought them new.

Sold a few more items on eBay too.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4035 on: August 07, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
We ate premade-by-me pasta sauce that the BF reheated while I was having an overdue nap. Another run of take-out saved.
Did not buy beer for the BF cause the supermarket ditched his favourite brand and didn't know a good alternative brand at the moment. Found a great deal on clips for my poly tunnel at an unexpected place.
Got contraception covered for five years for the cost of three by switching to an IUD instead of pills. Was warned by the pharmacist that this was a "costly" way of contraception. Doh! People are clueless when it comes to comparing one time expenses to periodic ones, but I guess I had higher expectations from a pharmacist.
Shocked said pharmacist even further by paying in eurobills for it (high deductible so had to pay for it either way, might as well use some Craigslist money for it).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4036 on: August 07, 2015, 09:47:23 PM »
*I have achieved thermal adaptation! It is 25C in my house right now and this is my usual (preMMM) threshold for flicking on the a/c. I actually can't believe that I'm not too warm, just comfortable.

*Kids earned their medals in the free summer reading club at the library today - family is watching a library dvd on Orcas right now. I have a bunch of great books that came in this week. Most of them I've read about here on the forums:

"Pie School: Lessons in fruit, flour and butter" by Kate Lebo
"Gardening When it Count: Growing food in hard times" by Steve Solomon
"DIY Cookbook: Can it, cure it, churn it, brew it" by America's Test Kitchen

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations! I was in a bookstore the other day and was snapping photos of cool looking books I want to order from the library (although I did buy one book)

*Had fabulous steaks on the BBQ for dinner - I've been saving them for now from our side of beef in April. Made our favourite homemade caesar dressing to go with it.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4037 on: August 07, 2015, 10:32:31 PM »

I tried something new last night with our leftover basmati, and both DH and DS loved it.  I threw a bunch of sliced almonds into a nonstick pan (we have this nice ceramic coated one that my mom gave me that I don't need to oil) and when they started turning just lightly brown I added some chopped up green onion, toasted for a few more minutes, and then put the leftover rice in and stirred for a few minutes breaking down the clumps and making sure it got heated through.  Basically a very healthy rice pilaf, with no added oil. 

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4038 on: August 08, 2015, 12:22:37 AM »
No spend day!

Ate leftover zucchini/lentil curry made last night for both breakfast and dinner.

Figured out how to squeeze hopefully a few more years out of my 12? year old Archos 104 mp3 player.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4039 on: August 08, 2015, 10:46:57 AM »
Garage sale shopping. (My second weekend doing such)

I now have ALL the baby clothes for the first 4 months (used a checklist a friend provided for what's needed.) and getting started up to 6 months.  And it cost me $45 total. I spent $30 today.

I don't know if I'm having a boy or a girl so I went with animals and sports- pretty unisex to me.

Based on the incredibly quality (and quantity) of baby clothes available at garage sales- most people have WAY too much.  I expected used baby clothes to be kind of gross. Almost everything available looks like new.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4040 on: August 08, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »
Based on the incredibly quality (and quantity) of baby clothes available at garage sales- most people have WAY too much.  I expected used baby clothes to be kind of gross. Almost everything available looks like new.

I expect things are outgrown before they are outworn.  (is that a word?)

Today: home cooking, avoiding resturants.  Its fun!

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #4041 on: August 08, 2015, 11:31:36 AM »
Garage sale shopping. (My second weekend doing such)

I now have ALL the baby clothes for the first 4 months (used a checklist a friend provided for what's needed.) and getting started up to 6 months.  And it cost me $45 total. I spent $30 today.

I don't know if I'm having a boy or a girl so I went with animals and sports- pretty unisex to me.

Nice haul! Everyone will think animals and sports means boy. But you don't have to care what they think. It is hard to get gender-neutral baby clothes after the first few months. I have gotten a lot of my kids' clothes secondhand and my daughter's wardrobe has gotten steadily more pink as the years have gone by. Bleh.

Today I basically haven't done anything or gone anywhere. Easy save. Yesterday I bought my daughter's school supplies on a tax-free weekend with a bunch of sales and coupons at the store where I work and get a 15-20% discount. I got pretty much everything she needed for less than $10. (She's going into preschool, so doesn't need loads.) I also resisted buying food at work. I scarfed down my PBJ around 11 and was hungry by 1 and contemplated buying something. I had a small tin of peanuts in my bag and ate those too. I was still hungry. I waited for a bit anyway. Then the boss brought in a cake for somebody's birthday. Fixed that problem, though admittedly in not the healthiest way. I will put another extra snack in my bag for future.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4042 on: August 08, 2015, 12:04:20 PM »
I realized Amazon sells electronic Netflix gift cards. So I can buy them with my card that gets 5% back at Amazon rather than just getting 1% back paying Netflix directly.

Had the fancy German-made riding boots I scored on eBay for $60 repaired.  It cost less than $20 and now I have gorgeous boots that would cost $1200 if I bought them new.

Sold a few more items on eBay too.

Nice!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4043 on: August 08, 2015, 05:08:09 PM »
Yesterday was a no spend day - forfot to post that before I went to sleep! A no spend Saturday is rare for me so I am pleased with this.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #4044 on: August 08, 2015, 09:47:32 PM »
I made a fantastic meal (salad & quiche) on Thursday using mostly things from the garden - eggs from the chickens, three types of homegrown greens and tomatoes for the salad, ham that my husband brought home from work. The only thing bought was some cream for the quiche.

ozbeach

• Bristles
« Reply #4045 on: August 09, 2015, 12:20:10 AM »
I saw 1kg of gravy beef on super special at the supermarket this morning and walked past it - I live by myself so a kilo of meat is huge! Then, in the veg section saw a packaged "soup starter pack" (onion, carrots, turnip, potato etc) for half price. Picked that up and went back and got the beef - it's been in the slow cooker all day and I figure I'll get six meals for $15 out of it!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4046 on: August 09, 2015, 03:32:09 AM »
Identified a capscicum in the fridge that needed to be used up so it wouldnt go bad and cooked that up with a bunch of stuff already in the house for lunch.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4047 on: August 09, 2015, 03:41:43 AM »
Hosted a big party at my house -- everyone else brought the food and drink and we supplied the venue! Sweet!

Did this back in June as well and we were given a $100 restaurant gift card!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4048 on: August 09, 2015, 07:54:29 AM »
Picked about 2 kg of wild blackberries this afternoon. Saw people picking there yesterday, and I still left loads for whoever starts picking them after me. Crazy amounts of black shiny goodness provided by nature :-)

10% is already turned into a nice blackberry cake. Still figuring out what to do with the rest. Looking into turning them into booze, as I have an empty brewing bucket (not sure of translation) available at the moment. Berry wine, maybe?

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4049 on: August 09, 2015, 08:09:52 AM »
Picked about 2 kg of wild blackberries this afternoon. Saw people picking there yesterday, and I still left loads for whoever starts picking them after me. Crazy amounts of black shiny goodness provided by nature :-)

10% is already turned into a nice blackberry cake. Still figuring out what to do with the rest. Looking into turning them into booze, as I have an empty brewing bucket (not sure of translation) available at the moment. Berry wine, maybe?

Isn't blackberry season amazing!

If you have any freezer space at all, I strongly recommend freezing some for mid-winter use.  There is nothing cozier than a warm blackberry pie or cobbler made in the middle of winter.  It is like bringing the sun right into the house.  What I do to freeze berries is put a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet, and then spread the berries out in a single layer.  Pop them in the freezer for a few hours, and once frozen solid store in ziplock freezer bags.  A quart size (not sure what that is in metric -- about a liter maybe?) gives a nice amount for a pie or cobbler.