Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029295 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3850 on: July 20, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »
I think we should have a "What I did today to waste money" board. After all, aren't we really just putting our best foot forward here and not sharing the times when we do screw up?

For me, I do find it very motivating to read about the successes of others and to post my own small things I did today to save money. But the reality is, I also ran the dryer 3x today, bought buns instead of making them, and ran my a/c for 2 days straight even though it was only 75F (23C) (sigh).

I have a long way to go before reaching Zen level Mustachianism.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3851 on: July 20, 2015, 12:30:57 AM »
I think we should have a "What I did today to waste money" board. After all, aren't we really just putting our best foot forward here and not sharing the times when we do screw up?

I would be posting on that thread at least as frequently as I do on this one. My frugality is definitely a work in progress!

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #3852 on: July 20, 2015, 07:12:44 AM »

I would post on that thread daily.

Notice this is my first post in the thread. There's a reason for that.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3853 on: July 20, 2015, 08:14:17 AM »
*I put four ebooks on hold at my public library (rather than scrounging for--albeit used--copies on Amazon). I'm heading to my hometown next week, and I could use some reading for the drive down and back. I'm also trying to get in the habit of making use of Chicago's vast library!

*Unplugged appliances that weren't in use today.

*Leftover quiche for lunch today.

*Using leftover spinach from said quiche to do salads for dinner tonight. This will also use up some getting-on-in-age tomatoes and bleu cheese in the fridge.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3854 on: July 20, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »
This weekend:
Went for a hike, which was only 15 minutes away. 

Bought 6 bagels instead of two prepared with cream cheese.  We had cream cheese at home, and my husband really wanted a bagel.  I convinced him to buy 6 instead.  We still have leftover bagels, which should provide his breakfast for a few more days.

Rode with a friend instead of taking an Uber. 

Birthday present for friend purchased at a thrift shop (pottery & a birthday card).  Wrapped with stuff we already had in the house.  Total cost $1.50. 

Groupon fitness class with friends.  Instead of spending serious money on a gym membership, we've started using Groupons to try out different workouts around town.

Hosted brunch.  Way less expensive than going out!

Made sugar scrub and a copycat Buffy bar (like Lush!)

Made a huge batch of iced tea from loose leaf tea that I didn't really like.  It's actually better iced than hot. 

Today:
Carpooled to work
Packed breakfast, lunch, and snacks

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #3855 on: July 20, 2015, 01:25:21 PM »
Quote from: 1967mama on Today at 12:10:04 AM

I would post on that thread daily.

Notice this is my first post in the thread. There's a reason for that.

We can call it the "Face Punch Me" thread. I would read that.

Please, please start that thread!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3856 on: July 20, 2015, 06:25:46 PM »
Renegotiated our contents insurance, saved $180 a year.

I just tallied up that we've cut our expenses by $1300/month since December 2009. (Most of those reductions have happened over the past 12 months, I just happened to find a 2009 budget in my email.) That's equal to my husband receiving a 20 per cent pay rise. Huge.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3857 on: July 20, 2015, 06:56:30 PM »
*Made a double batch of Caesar dressing for chicken Caesar tonite.

*Teenaged son has taught himself how to make sushi -- now I get fresh sushi all the time for pennies on the dollar

*Made a dessert with leftover Oreo crumbs that had been languishing in the cupboard. Recipe called for graham crumbs but this worked out quite well

*Turning off a/c tonite -- working on my thermal adaptation. I've been very wimpy lately.

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #3858 on: July 21, 2015, 08:12:15 AM »
We have a bunch of blackberry bushes in the parking lot at our apartment. Partner and I decided rather than letting them go to waste we should pick some. Ended up with about 2 1/2 of those plastic clamshells worth (estimate as we were using the colanderr) and froze them for later.

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
« Reply #3859 on: July 21, 2015, 08:54:30 AM »
1. I checked if we can save a few bucks on our home insurance. I found out that we can save 75% immediately if we change our contract.
Savings: 0.66% of MTHP (monthly take home pay)
2. We often travel by train to my parents. I bought 2 so-called Hungary Cards that grants us 4x50% and 8x33% discount for train tickets (and we get a few other discounts, e.g. for the Zoo and the Circus :) )
Savings: 0.78% of MTHP
3. I checked if there's a cheaper bank account at our bank. Yes, there is :)
Savings: 0.15% of MTHP

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3860 on: July 21, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »
Today I am giving my 3 kids haircuts at home, approx. savings $60. 
I am also line-drying clothes instead of using the dryer.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3861 on: July 21, 2015, 12:23:10 PM »
*Gave myself a haircut last night

*Turned off the a/c

*No spend day planned

*Dropping by library to return books on time and to pick up priZes - 2 kids had names drawn in the summer reading club = free books to keep

*Planning to NOT do anything postable on the new Facepunch Me thread!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3862 on: July 21, 2015, 12:44:28 PM »
Set the AC to 72 at night instead of 71 and switched to light sheets instead of a blanket.

DW wants an arbor over our driveway to protect the cars.  Convinced her that a tarp will work just as well.

Starting to unplug all electronics when not actively using them.

But on the negative side, I've been sick the past week or so, and I've been driving more and biking less.  Seem to be better now, so driving will cease. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3863 on: July 21, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
Does calling up your Credit Union and changing your paper statement to an on-line statement - savings $1 a month - count?

... and yes, for someone who loves holding the "physical evidence" in her hot little hands - this is a "take a deep breath" and just do it moment.:)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3864 on: July 21, 2015, 10:10:01 PM »
My husband has a work commitment that involves a nice hotel (in our home city), dinner tonight, and breakfast and lunch tomorrow, all covered.

So I'm just feeding myself for the next three meals.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3865 on: July 22, 2015, 03:26:34 AM »
Yesterday evening I really wanted to just pop in to the supermarket on the way home from work and buy a pizza, or stop and get some chips or something. The thought of cooking in the heat was unappealing but I did want to eat something hot. But, I resisted and once I got home just had a few crisps (bought a big bag at the weekend and put them straight into a Tupperware container, from which I'm just taking a handful at a time - should last at least a week, perhaps two, like that) and chilled out for a while. By nine o'clock it was starting to get cool enough to open the windows, let the air in and head to the kitchen. I took some already sliced baguette out of the freezer, opened a jar of the passata I canned last year and spread that on it, grated a small courgette and added that, along with the last of some grated and sliced cheese I had in the fridge and topped with a few slices of tomato left over from lunch. Really tasty, very filling and far more nutritious pizza baguettes than the frozen ones I would have gotten in the supermarket. And finished up several things that were languishing in the fridge.

As well as using up one small courgette I peeled and sliced the other three - all were just about to be far gone enough to have to throw out. I sauteed the remainder and put that into the fridge in Tupperware - extending the amount of time I have to use it up. Think I'll do a pastryless quiche tomorrow evening.

And so far this week I've brought breakfast, lunch and snacks to work wtih me every day. I know it's only Wednesday but that's three days better than I was doing last week.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3866 on: July 22, 2015, 05:04:38 AM »
Put $800 of my $815 tax return straight into untouchable savings, used the $15 to stock my work drawer with easy snacks (muesli bars, cup soup, single serve biscs) - stuff I don't normally buy, but it will prevent me from buying chocolate from the work fridge when I need a little snack/treat.

Finally mastered the 'bringing coffee fixings from home' conundrum- when I buy milk for staff fridge, it gets used/disappears super quick, and is never replaced! Now I put 2 tsp of instant coffee in a small mustard jar, add half a cup of milk and voila! Enough  to make 2 coffees (and can last a day or two in work fridge). Best part is that no one else at work will dare touch the brown suss looking milk in the mustard jar!

Brought home my banana that I didn't eat from work today, along with another from a workmate- will freeze them both for smoothies.

Snagged free brekkie Sunday-at the end of a 10k fun run volunteers had set up stations with free bottled water and chopped fruit-  was the perfect breakfast to recover with!

Been making freezer smoothie packs this week (idea from this forum)- it has been fantastic- so quick and easy to use in the mornings, and nothing gets wasted or goes off!

Submitted forms that will eventually result in an extra $3k or so rebate to boost my savings

Made dinner with what I had on hand- tuna corn butter pasta, tasted awesome and have leftovers for lunch!

As DS gets older, it is hard to find cheap well-made clothes he will wear- kept an eye out and snagged 2x pairs of quick dry board shorts for $5/pair.

I love my sodastream for soda water, but was going through gas canisters really quickly- have begun Alternating between bottles of bubbly and still water - I drink more liquid and save money!

This year it was my goal to get out of poor after-work habits (daily glass or two of wine with sweet biscuits). By drinking water and ensuring I take time to destress right after work, I have cut right back on the unnecessary calories and cost to my wallet!

Sorted library books tonight as they are 7 days overdue- need to get them back before day 10 to avoid the fines!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:25:41 AM by 11ducks »

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3867 on: July 22, 2015, 12:59:22 PM »
Similar to 11ducks, I recently vastly reduced my adult beverage consumption.  The result is minus 4 pounds so far.  :)

Other things lately:

Found 11 cents in the parking lot.

Saved 29% off my monthly grocery order by shopping sales, and using paper and e-coupons.

Saved .40/gallon at the gas pump by using my grocer's value card.

Waived the utility deposit ($165!!!) here at my new office by signing up for auto pay.

Sunday's leftover steak turned in to breakfast burritos yesterday and this morning.

Compiled a Sam's Club list for later on this week.

I have been bulk cooking and baking this week:  Coney Island Pie, pulled pork in the Crock Pot, and homemade flax seed muffins.  These helped with using up pantry items.  Next up is a pumpkin "pie" using ground almonds for the crust, and a can of pumpkin and evap milk.

Bringing my usual leftovers for lunch, filtered water and iced coffee from home to the office.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3868 on: July 22, 2015, 05:36:25 PM »
Due to family circumstances we can no longer make our weekend appointment with our accountant, so we're submitting the necessary information by email instead. Saves the 110km round-trip and, most likely, lunch on the road somewhere.

Had an omelette for dinner last night, a couple of eggs, slightly wilted spinach, and some grated hard cheese. Bliss.

Lunch today is still more of the enormous pot of slow-cooked chicken, bean, rice, corn thing I made on Monday.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3869 on: July 22, 2015, 07:25:46 PM »
Trying to kick my terrible "on the road" snacking habit (I feel hungry and end up buying something) so I bought a bunch of chipotle-flavored peanuts in a little can and put them in my car. It's been working :)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #3870 on: July 22, 2015, 07:35:09 PM »
My flight out of here is delayed for three days so I'm trying to eat the fridge/cupboards till Friday (except for the milk I bought for my tea). So far, so good. I found a bunch of food I'd forgotten I had (including a big tub of sun-dried tomatoes).

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #3871 on: July 22, 2015, 08:39:10 PM »
Trying to kick my terrible "on the road" snacking habit (I feel hungry and end up buying something) so I bought a bunch of chipotle-flavored peanuts in a little can and put them in my car. It's been working :)

The salted caramel ones are delicious, and only a small amount is pretty filling.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3872 on: July 22, 2015, 09:05:05 PM »
*Made zucchini brownies (from http://www.sixfiguresunder.com) for an event I'm hosting tomorrow night

*Made guacamole from the avocados I bought

*No a/c even though I was too warm today

*Hand washing a ton of dishes from all the baking I did today

*Came up with costumes for kids soccer camp with items we had around the house

*Returned library materials on time and got out new books we've been waiting for that were on the hold shelf for us

*Made flax crackers

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #3873 on: July 22, 2015, 09:15:17 PM »
@Cressida, I'd love to share the recipe!

This is for regular white buns/dinner rolls. It makes a full cookie sheet of buns.

3 1/2 c. warm water
5 tsp. yeast
1/2 c. honey
1 Tbsp. salt
10 1/2 c. flour

Not sure if you need directions, but will add these just in case:

If you have quick rise yeast, just blend all ingredients together and knead for about 5 minutes. If you have regular active dry yeast, put the water and honey in a bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let it proof for about 10 minutes until the yeast is foamy. Then knead for about 5 minutes. Shape into small, round balls about 2 inches across (give or take) and place, barely touching one another, on greased cookie sheet. Let it rise 20-40 minutes and then bake in preheated oven at 325-250 for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown on top and bottom. Lift one up with a spatula to peek at the bottom. Flip out of pan onto cooling rack in one big sheet of buns. Watch them be devoured in a matter of hours.  YMMV. This is a multi-purpose dough. I also make it into cinnamon buns, hamburger buns, hotdog buns, cheesy bread, pizza bread and cinnamon-raisin bread. Recipe doubles easily.

Somehow I missed this the first time. Thanks for the reply! What do you differently to make hamburger buns?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3874 on: July 22, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »
Just checked the rotating categories on my credit cards again.  Chase is 5% back on gas this quarter, so it's going back in my wallet with a label so I remember what to use it for.  I already get 3% back on my BofA MC all the time, but hey, 2% more will be a few bucks over the next 2.25 months.

Used rewards points to get a $38 statement credit on my Discover card.

Dinner was a delicious gumbo with mostly vegetables freshly picked from the garden.

We thought about going out for icecream after dinner, but I lopped off some frozen cookie dough and baked a few cookies instead.

Turning off the A/C and opening up the house to blow in cool air in just a minute.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3875 on: July 22, 2015, 11:18:29 PM »
@cressida,

To make hamburger buns, place them separated and flattened on the cookie sheet. They will puff up enough with 20-30 minutes of rise time and then the baking will puff them up some more. Hot dog buns are basically placed on the tray flattened versions of their puffy, cooked selves:-) a little experimentation will help you figure it out. Hope that helps;-)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3876 on: July 23, 2015, 03:10:12 AM »
Was meeting people from my translation class yesterday for ice-cream. They were meeting at six and I work until seven so they knew I would just join them later. As it turned out, fewer people than expected turned up and two had to leave early so by the time I got to them, they were all finished and about to leave. We still sat and chatted for another hour but since they were all finished their ice-cream and coffees, I didn't bother ordering anything. Money saved and fast day rescued. We were at a place along the river so I was even able to just walk home that way, instead of walking back towards the train station, which involves walking past any number of restaurants and fast-food places.

When I was home I did the same as yesterday, waited for a while until it was cooling down and then I hit the kitchen and cooked. I used up the sweetheart cabbage (thanks to whoever mentioned this a few days ago, I was never sure what it's called in English) and made the cabbage part of the lentil dish from this Smitten Kitchen recipe. Such lovely smells when it was cooking and it was really good (disclaimer: I did add bacon bits, too). Had a small portion and the rest is in the fridge. I'll make the lentil part this evening or tomorrow and will have the cabbage all ready to go. Very happy to have found another way to cook cabbage and can see this becoming a regular feature. And really, really happy to have had a no-spend day yesterday.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3877 on: July 23, 2015, 11:58:59 AM »
The usual . . .
*  homemade lunch and snacks brought to work
*  no extra driving
*  making use of free gym
*  spending no money today

& some more . . .
*  I also recently gave up drinking alcohol . . . am greatly enjoying the benefits (financial and otherwise)
*  refocusing on the side project of amazon sales
*  realized that couponing is just not for me
*  did "budget" for next two weeks with $50 to spare

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3878 on: July 23, 2015, 01:09:14 PM »
i re-learned how to sew a button last night.
it's been 20+ years since I touched a needle and thread.
But my two favorite pairs of shorts fit poorly now after I lost some weight.
My wife taught me how to move the buttons so my shorts fit better and I no longer need to wear a belt, hurray!

also started looking at coupons in the mail flyers.
Found 50% off yogurt which I buy every couple of weeks.
Walked to the grocery store and stocked up for next month while saving $4.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #3879 on: July 23, 2015, 02:56:32 PM »
Watched youtube videos on how to replace the broken torsion springs on my garage door.  Far cheaper than paying the local garage door company to do it for me!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3880 on: July 23, 2015, 05:16:56 PM »
Bought new-to-him jeans for my husband on eBay.

Arranged with a friend to go halves in a gift.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3881 on: July 23, 2015, 05:58:22 PM »
I like crunchy foods.  Like Oreos... or crackers... or...  So I cooked up a batch of hardtack.  There are only three ingredients, so I don't have to buy anything when the urge hits.  Here is the recipe from Wikibooks.

----------------
Cookbook:Hard Tack
From Wikibooks, the open-content textbooks collection
Hard tack is a cracker/biscuit flat-bread used during long sea voyages and military campaigns before the introduction of canning as a primary food-source.  Mostly inedible for dry and hard preservation, it was usually dunked in water, brine, coffee, or other liquids, or cooked into a skillet meal.  This cracker was little more than flour and water which had been baked hard and would keep for months as long as it was kept dry.  Also known as a sea biscuit, sea bread, or ship's biscuits.
Ingredients
•   2 cups of flour
•   ½ to ¾ cup water
•   6 pinches of salt
•   1 tablespoon of shortening (optional/not traditional)
Procedure
1.   Mix all the ingredients into a dough and press onto a cookie sheet to a thickness of ½ inch. 
2.   Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for half an hour. 
3.   Remove from oven, cut dough into 3-inch squares, and punch four rows of holes, four holes per row into the dough (a fork works nicely). 
4.   Flip the crackers and return to the oven for another half hour. 
Notes, tips, and variations
•   Some recipes also recommend a second baking at 250°F (120°C) to thoroughly dry out the bread. 
•   Scale ingredient quantities equally if more dough is required. 
Retrieved from "http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Hard-Tack"

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3882 on: July 23, 2015, 07:12:11 PM »
I like crunchy foods.  Like Oreos... or crackers... or...  So I cooked up a batch of hardtack.  There are only three ingredients, so I don't have to buy anything when the urge hits.  Here is the recipe from Wikibooks.

I'm curious to hear how this turned out for you.  I tried making it once and it was just awful.  If you don't mind, please share your results!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3883 on: July 23, 2015, 07:26:21 PM »
Of course its awful!  There's nothing in it.  Salt doesn't add much.  Do like the sailors and soak it in rum to make it palatable.  I only mentioned "crunchy"; nothing about taste...:)

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3884 on: July 23, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
Stopped by a work happy hour and just had water and then ate dinner home. It was a big, unseated gathering, so not ordering wasn't awkward at all.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3885 on: July 24, 2015, 10:49:30 AM »
Of course its awful!  There's nothing in it.  Salt doesn't add much.  Do like the sailors and soak it in rum to make it palatable.  I only mentioned "crunchy"; nothing about taste...:)

Ha ha!  Fair enough, then . . . enjoy!  :)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3886 on: July 24, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
I just cancelled my subscription to the Ecomomist. Really enjoy reading it (although if I'm honest rarely get around to reading it the week I get it and am always behind) but need to cut out these easy things now in preparation for a month off later this year.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3887 on: July 24, 2015, 05:50:04 PM »
@Moonwaves, The Economist is carried at my library -- perhaps it is at yours too? Typically, the current month's issue can only be read in the library, but back issues can be signed out.

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3888 on: July 24, 2015, 09:04:16 PM »
Today's load of laundry was hung on the rack to dry. We're not able to hang laundry outside, but we have a couple of racks we can set up in the living room of our condo.

Brought lunch and coffee today. Saved easily $15 that way. Yeah, I used to get not one, but two Starbucks fancy coffee drinks a day.

Made cold brew coffee concentrate for next week. The great thing about cold brew is it turns the $4.50 can of coffee from trader joes into pretty decent tasting iced coffees for two weeks.

I was weak and took the bus home today, but biked to work this morning and every morning this week as well as walked or biked home 3 out 5 days.

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #3889 on: July 24, 2015, 09:20:04 PM »
This week was crazy busy, but things have been productive:

* Reduced garbage pickup to once a month service from twice a month, decreasing the bill by 1/3
* Spurned multiple opportunities for fast food or coffee
* Also spurned a trip to the automatic car wash
* Sold a book on Amazon
* Ended my landline contract. $50 for phone service is insanity, although I will miss how the calls never dropped.
* Realized I was overcharged $2.50 at the grocery store and had it corrected.
* Bought a drying rack and got my hubby onboard with line drying his uniforms.
* Cut some tall green grass in a ditch with a machete for a nice free treat for my equines. My pastures are brown due to the PNW drought. Strapped it to my bicycle rack and pedaled it home. I can't believe it didn't fall off! My neighbors already think I am crazy anyway.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3890 on: July 25, 2015, 08:48:03 AM »
* Cut some tall green grass in a ditch with a machete for a nice free treat for my equines.

Granted it's only 10am my time, but this is the most badass thing I've read today.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3891 on: July 25, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
I reread this entire thread, "What small things did you do TODAY to save money?" and collected the basic themes and ideas from the first 78 pages.

Not surprisingly, the overall messages are: nothing is too small to optimize, rethink "normal," challenge your assumptions, and you can learn and do more than you think you can.

I hope this is helpful. I had fun compiling it. Of course, the list doesn't contain every idea possible and certainly NOT every idea on the thread (read the thread, there are amazing, very specific ideas). This list is meant to give a general idea of the kinds of things frugal people do and how they think on a daily basis. I left out some themes like cars/driving and investments/work issues because they are well covered on other threads.

Of course, essential reading on "small things" is the MMM classic: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/01/a-millionaire-is-made-ten-bucks-at-a-time/

Theme 1: Learn new skills, DIY everything you can, and build your frugality muscles

Prefer handmade/homemade over store bought
Make do with what you have, don't just go out and get more
Wait/rethink/research before buying
Read the "What small things did you do TODAY to save money?" thread on the MMM forum for specific ideas that apply to your situation
Try your best to communicate better with spouse/significant other/family on financial goals
Make clear financial plans for yourself and with family
Break a bad habit (smoking, shopping, etc.)
Have a "no spend" day
Speak up for yourself, don't be afraid or ashamed to be frugal
Speak up when there is a problem with a service or a purchase; return things that are substandard for a refund
Always check your receipts and invoices for errors
Ask around (friends, coworkers, family, neighbors, MMM forums) for help, information, free stuff (AND offer same to others!)
Barter services (dog sitting/fixing things/chores/airport runs)
Use a coupon
Maintain and fix things yourself
Accept free things
Investigate the problem before throwing money at it or before hiring an expert
Try to problem solve before acting/spending
Google/You Tube before spending and to learn new skills
Develop your cooking skills (one of the most important frugal skills)
Learn a new skill (haircutting, sewing, oil changes, anything!)
Use muscle power before machine
Sew/repair things
Make gifts rather than buying them
Rethink material gifts and give an experience, do something for someone, write a letter
Reuse things for other purposes to delay throwing away (e.g., plastic containers, towels become rags, etc.)
Learn to cut your own/family's hair
Do your own/other people's manicures
Maintain your pets nails/hair yourself
Do holidays, birthdays, or other special days NOT on the actual day to save money on restaurants and to not pay full price for other holiday-related items
Sell things on Craigslist, eBay, used bookstores
Rethink all purchases
Delay purchases
Don't go in stores!
Realize everything is a "small" thing
Check out Freecycle.com
Look into free things from your local area/town (e.g., mulch, free cultural events)
Pick up change off the ground
Trashpick, look for things on the side of the road
Pick up cans
Be organized to avoid impulse purchases or buying duplicates
Scrutinize purchases and find ways to reduce
Shop around for everything (gyms, classes, grocery stores, insurance, prescriptions, cellphones, internet) to find best price
Ask for a discount everywhere (maybe even at the dentist!)
Check all recurring charges and try to find less expensive plans (insurance, cell phones, internet)
Investigate used, damaged, or past prime goods/food
Challenge your property tax assessment
Renegotiate any subscription (cable/internet/magazines, etc.)

Theme 2: Food

Forage/glean and hunt/fish for free food
Eat leftovers
Repurpose leftovers
Use up what you have
Use up the pantry
Can/preserve/freeze food
Freeze leftovers so they don't spoil in the fridge
Eat less meat
Investigate new grocery stores to check prices
Try the cheaper brand
Check grocery sales flyers
Build your cooking skills
Bring your own food to work/on car trips
Make baby food
Eat beans
Buy the cheaper fruits
Use crockpots
Use less coffee or tea, reuse teabags/coffee grounds, carefully measure how much coffee/tea you actually need to ensure you don't use too much
Eat free food from work events
Make a price book
Garden from seed
Exchange recipes with friends/people on MMM forums
Regrow green onions from the roots
Batch cook/make a lot at once ("hypermile" the oven, can, freeze, preserve)
Learn to make your family's favorite dishes at home
Learn to make "gourmet" or complicated things that you never thought you could (beer, hard cider, mead, chai tea, Asian food, frappucinos)--you can do it!
Make your own coffee, pizza, yogurt, hummus, bread, burritos
Grow herbs
Take advantage of chocolate sales days (2/15, 11/1, 12/25)

Theme 3: Fun and entertainment

Try a staycation rather than leaving your neighborhood or town/city
Search out local fun, free community events
Read a book
Entertain people at home, but don't buy special food, make it yourself (use your pantry)
Have a picnic
Listen to the radio
Look for free events at museums
Exercise in nature
Volunteer at cultural places for free entertainment
Take joy in simple things (seeing friends, walking the dog, walking in nature)
Use the library!
Check out ALL library programs. Libraries have more than books: movies, music, books on tape/CD, classes, internet/computers, magazines, used book sales, tax advice, even exercise classes

Theme 4: Home and home energy use

Stay home
Use a programmable thermostat
Keep heat low
Keep A/C temp up or turn off
Use LEDs
Don't use dryer, hang clothes on inside or outside clothes rack/line
Cancel cable
Turn off or unplug electronics
Make your own cleaning supplies
Shower at work or at the gym
Don't use paper towels
Gather rainwater for gardening/to flush toilets/wash laundry
Use rechargable batteries
Rent out a room, parking space, or things you own
Look into thermal gain or loss through windows

Theme 5: Personal care/clothes

Wear clothes more than once before washing
Cut/color your own/family's hair
Do your own/other people's manicures
Maintain your pet yourself (hair, nails, hooves, washing, etc.)
Use less soap/makeup
Repair or have things repaired (clothes, shoes, coats)
Resole shoes and boots
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:21:17 AM by Basenji »

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3892 on: July 25, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
@Moonwaves, The Economist is carried at my library -- perhaps it is at yours too? Typically, the current month's issue can only be read in the library, but back issues can be signed out.
I'm assuming it is, too. If not at the main library, then at the international library. I haven't been to either for ages and am most definitely overdue on my annual subscription. It's not a large amount but libraries aren't entirely free here - the town library is €20 for the year and the international library (run by volunteers but definitely the place to go for English books) is €14 per year. So I need to pay and then start getting my money's worth. I paid my Economist subscription every quarter in advance so will get a refund for the unused portion of that, which should be just about the same as the amount for the libraries so it's all good.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3893 on: July 25, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »
Thanks for your hard work pulling all that together, @Basenji! Didn't one of the mods say they would sticky it?

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #3894 on: July 25, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »
Yes, thank you, Basenji. This is very useful. I wish someone would compile all the tips in this entire forum into one book. Your work would be a great start. It's much appreciated.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3895 on: July 25, 2015, 04:36:37 PM »
Paid $100 (with shipping) for a program that normally costs $180 (with shipping).

It took me almost a month to "win" it- so that tells me, when I'm done with it, I'm going to be able to sell it for pretty near what I paid too :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3896 on: July 25, 2015, 04:42:37 PM »
*Having a no-spend day -- feels like a relief to not be out there consuming!

*Cooked up a package of bacon that's been languishing in the fridge.

*Watched a good movie from the library (The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared -- I had the book out of the library last year but didn't finish it. Husband is having lots of good laughs!)

*Unplugged laptop and phone when they were fully charged -- trying hard to do this during the day instead of overnight, which was my former habit

*Caught my husband hanging up a load of towels! He's so awesome!

*Keeping good track of my spending this month on http://www.everydollar.com which is a free Dave Ramsey product. Its the first budgeting program that I've been able to stick with, so YAY!

*Planning to do some pre cooking ahead of surgery this coming Friday.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:52:13 PM by 1967mama »

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #3897 on: July 25, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »
Cut up four large leeks and froze them into green and white. They're cheaper than onions and go MUCH farther. I'm growing my own, you trigger-happy facepunchers, but we eat a lot more than I have room to grow.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3898 on: July 25, 2015, 05:39:41 PM »
Yes, thank you, Basenji. This is very useful. I wish someone would compile all the tips in this entire forum into one book. Your work would be a great start. It's much appreciated.

Glad you found it helpful. I read on another thread that MMM is doing a book, so I think we're covered. I was just making notes as I read and thought others might want it as well.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3899 on: July 25, 2015, 05:45:09 PM »
The only spent $4.70 all weekend. Yay for visiting parents. Also caught up with friends I don't see very often that live out this way. Today will not be a no spend day though as I will need to buy petrol to get home!!! But still weekends are typically very spendy for me so I am pretty happy :-)