Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029232 times)

lunahsol

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3750 on: July 08, 2015, 10:58:44 AM »
*  brought lunch of pasta with homemade heirloom tomato sauce (leftover from dinner last night)

*  got a small raise at work and set up ally account to put the proceeds to and watch it grow

*  and the big one . . . CUT UP THE CREDIT CARD!!  (eek)  I still am working on the balance, but finally feel stable enough to let it go.  (I will readdress the benefits of credit cards when the balance is paid - for now I want it gone.)

TrMama

« Reply #3751 on: July 08, 2015, 11:37:21 AM »
Treated the kids and myself for lice using the electric comb I bought for these recurring bouts. Saved $10/person over buying the pesticide shampoo.

However, I'm still not super excited about this particular saving method. I cannot wait for this particular phase of childhood to be over.

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3752 on: July 08, 2015, 02:13:31 PM »
*  brought lunch of pasta with homemade heirloom tomato sauce (leftover from dinner last night)

*  got a small raise at work and set up ally account to put the proceeds to and watch it grow

*  and the big one . . . CUT UP THE CREDIT CARD!!  (eek)  I still am working on the balance, but finally feel stable enough to let it go.  (I will readdress the benefits of credit cards when the balance is paid - for now I want it gone.)

lunahsol,

You just keep making forward progress! I really enjoy your updates.

Odd One

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3753 on: July 08, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »
*hung a load of laundry on drying rack

*eating down the freezer -- adventures with ground beef for dinner

*found $2 in car and added to my coin jar in the house

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3754 on: July 08, 2015, 06:32:47 PM »
I've been a bit soft the last couple of days, turned the heater on a few times as the temp has dropped to 4 degrees C (39F).

This week I've been focused on money in a logistical, rather than practical, ways. Payroll at work has been taken over by another department, so there have been missing payslips, incomplete payslips, etc.

My husband and I have both had our pay days changed, so I've been double-checking everything to make sure all is in order. (Last time that happened at my husband's work they temporarily lost his eight-week annual leave balance.)

I saved $35 this morning by not buying the two-port USB wall charger I decided I needed for my office. I fancied once so I didn't have to change cords between charging devices. It's the sort of thing I'd have bought without a second thought once upon a time. (My husband is a black hole where phone chargers are concerned. I shudder to think how many he has 'donated' to hotels over the years.)

clifford4970

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3755 on: July 08, 2015, 06:41:02 PM »
I am currently taking summer course at my university so I can graduate in December.  I am taking an online course that requires 2 different books.  One was $139 new, so I rented the electronic version for $34.  The other was over $200 new with no electronic version and the cheapest used copy I could find was still over $120. 
My wife is currently taking summer courses as well, and so each Wednesday, we have been meeting at home and we both head out to campus, and while she goes to class, I go to the library to check out the book to read the chapter and do my homework each week.  Not only am I saving money, I am getting my homework done with zero distractions and find I have enough time before my wife gets out to get on MMM :)

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #3756 on: July 08, 2015, 06:44:32 PM »
My son's Montessori school has field trips in the summer.  They require the children to buy a special shirt to wear out on field trips.  Due to my son's age (about to turn 4) he'll only be attending a single field trip.  So I asked today to borrow a shirt for that day because to avoid spending $15 on a shirt he will wear exactly once.

They had a spare to loan us.  $15 saved.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3757 on: July 09, 2015, 03:45:59 AM »
They're showing The Last Unicorn at the cinema this evening - a much-loved childhood film and I think it would be fantastic to see in on the big screen. But I'm trying to keep in mind a fantastic quote I saw the other day.
Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most

Similar to MMM's taking from your future self idea really but somehow, right time, right way of expressing it or whatever, that quote really struck me. So if I think about it like this:
What I want most vs. what I want now
Stop spending so much money and lose weight vs. going to cinema
Going home after work to eat already mostly prepped vegetable bake  vs. buying cinema ticket, popcorn and drink
Cycling home from work vs. taking tram to get to cinema on time

Well, I won't go and I won't feel bad about it because I'm working towards what I want most.

flygal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3758 on: July 09, 2015, 07:30:40 AM »
Balked at spending $3.59 for a can of split pea soup.  Bought a package of dried peas ($1.65) and cooked them up with onions and tomatoes from the garden and a few bay leaves ($.79 for the pack, yea Mexican grocery store).  Now, for the cost of 1 hr 20 min, I had better soup than I wanted and 3 servings in the freezer for later cravings. 

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #3759 on: July 09, 2015, 08:59:50 AM »
Balked at spending $3.59 for a can of split pea soup.  Bought a package of dried peas ($1.65) and cooked them up with onions and tomatoes from the garden and a few bay leaves ($.79 for the pack, yea Mexican grocery store).  Now, for the cost of 1 hr 20 min, I had better soup than I wanted and 3 servings in the freezer for later cravings.

Not accounting for expenses in garden (fertilizer, seeds, etc) you are paying yourself about $11.89/hr.  I factored in SS, medicare, 15% tax bracket, and 0% sales tax (since I don't know what it is).  Garden expenses reduce how much you are paying yourself; sales tax and higher tax bracket would increase it.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3760 on: July 09, 2015, 11:29:19 AM »
I manually remove worms and eggs from my broccoli plants every day I can stomach the squish!  There are several factors influencing my choice not to use pesticides but I have to admit that a large one is money. My stoop garden is barely breaking even.  If I bought pesticides for the vegeables then I might as well just buy vegetables.

Worms are just on the leaves right?  Not actally IN the broccoli?  right?  I may have to eat it all steamed and not fresh...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3761 on: July 09, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »
Called and had my Mother Earth News subscription changed to digital only.  $5/year less, and eliminates the waste of paper as well.

Ran out of horse antibiotics one day early, but asked the vet and he said it was fine if the horse missed the last day of meds, so saved about $25 on buying a whole new bottle.

Got my truck loaded up with partially composted horse crap while out at the stable this morning.

Studied some photos online of a piece of horse training equipment I've been thinking of buying, and figure I can make the same thing for about $20 worth of materials, vs. paying $70 to order it from the UK, or $200 to order it domestically (seriously, it's just some rope and snaps and a piece of fleece).

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3762 on: July 09, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »
Studied some photos online of a piece of horse training equipment I've been thinking of buying, and figure I can make the same thing for about $20 worth of materials, vs. paying $70 to order it from the UK, or $200 to order it domestically (seriously, it's just some rope and snaps and a piece of fleece).

Sounds like a business opportunity to me!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3763 on: July 09, 2015, 03:10:50 PM »
Walked to the store in search of a small appointment calendar for keeping track of stuff.  Saw some but they were not cheap.  Came home.  I will try in another month when the Back-to-School sales start.  They will be everywhere for about $1.00 then.

getgoing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3764 on: July 09, 2015, 10:01:42 PM »
My partner and I are both somewhat picky eaters, so we typically throw away most of the broccoli stems. A few weeks ago, I decided to put an end to this, and started the habit of chopping up and freezing excess broccoli stems for future use. Today was the first time I actually used the stems- in a very yummy broccoli soup. It worked fantastically, and we will definitely be doing this again in the future. It also meant I only needed one broccoli head for the soup instead of two, which is nice.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3765 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:08 AM »
*washed sheets and hung to dry

*made a humble chill and sourdough bread for dinner -- family devoured it. And so did the 2 kid friends who were over for dinner too!

*made cereal bars for a snack today -- not totally healthy but a nice way to use stuff up:

RECIPE:

Melt 1/2 c butter, 3/4 c peanut butter and 16 oz marshmallows in large pot.
Add 10 cups of "goodies" which can be any combination of the following:
leftover cereal, dry oatmeal, graham crumbs, pretzel bits, craisins, raisins, chopped nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, or ???
Stir into melted butter mixture and press into greased 11x13 inch glass pan (or jelly roll pan)
They are similar to rice krispie squares. Each batch is unique, depending on what you have.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3766 on: July 10, 2015, 12:15:08 PM »
lunahsol,

You just keep making forward progress! I really enjoy your updates.

Odd One

Thank you, Odd One!  Your support really helps :)

For today:
*  homemade lunch of curried lentils
*  found two yoga-related books that I want to read available as free pdfs
*  committing to myself that I will exhaust free resources for yoga and not buy cute outfits & accessories or spend $22 per class, etc.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3767 on: July 10, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »
Bought a pullup bar to install in my garage for $54 on Amazon instead of joining a gym and having recurring monthly payments of $45. 

I tried to find something local via Craigs List, but nothing local was any cheaper than Amazon.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3768 on: July 10, 2015, 12:42:10 PM »
Bought a pullup bar to install in my garage for $54 on Amazon instead of joining a gym and having recurring monthly payments of $45. 

I tried to find something local via Craigs List, but nothing local was any cheaper than Amazon.
I used two 4x4s with 1 1/4" holes and a length of pipe to put one out back for about $20.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3769 on: July 10, 2015, 01:18:02 PM »

I used two 4x4s with 1 1/4" holes and a length of pipe to put one out back for about $20.

OK, that is pretty badass!  Unfortunately in my case I'd also have to buy the tools to cut things to size, so it would drive up my cost for sure.  Still, having a saw is probably going to be useful again in the future.  Maybe I'll scour crags list for tools next time something like this comes up.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3770 on: July 10, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »
Putting in my mileage using the old pedometer I bought years ago as opposed to buying a gym membership.  I would rather be outside anyway.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3771 on: July 10, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
*Picked up a stack of books from the library that we had holds on. One was "Pioneer Girl" -- the new annotated autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I've been sorely tempted to buy it but it would have cost $31.25 (link: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Girl-Laura-Ingalls-Wilder/dp/0984504176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436561885&sr=8-1&keywords=Pioneer+girl)

*Made a delicious omelette for lunch - fried up 1 zucchini, 1/2 a green pepper and some leftover purple onion and put it on top of the omelette.  Also, fried up leftover 5 new potatoes, diced, and added some seasoning salt. Tasted like a meal at a fancy brunch place I've been to.

*Husband made spaghetti from jarred sauce for lunch instead of buying take out for the kids at the end of their week in VBS at church (Vacation Bible School) - was so happy to see him getting on board with MMM ideas

*Created a budget using Dave Ramsey's free budgeting program (link: https://www.everydollar.com)

*Husband had one of those tough conversations with adult son who is struggling, financially, while living on his own for the first time.

*Pulled old stereo out of the mothballs. We had been using streaming radio on the stereo/sound system my husband won at work, and our internet bill starting going over every month due to exceeding gigabytes of data.

(ETA more things from today -- its been a productive day!)

*Made two 9x13 banana cakes out of 6 spotty bananas for a family BBQ we are hosting on Sunday. 

*Chicken on the rotisserie from our recent order of 50 chickens from the farm -- want to be intentional about using these up and not having any left at the end of June 2016. At LEAST one per week.

*Made a big batch of smoothies - enough for 2 kids and my husband and I. The rest, I made into popsicles in our molds and threw them in the freezer for a hot day.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:06:00 PM by 1967mama »

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3772 on: July 10, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
my really cheap $5 sandals broke recently. 
the outsole became detached from the insole when someone stepped on it while I was walking away from them.
I successfully glued them back together using some construction adhesive.
hope they last another 6 months!

freeatlast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3773 on: July 11, 2015, 02:10:46 PM »
I killed the hornets at my rental property myself without hiring an exterminator. It was challenging because the hornets were living in a crevice in the concrete.  I had to gerry rig a straw onto the spray can to get the poison into the crevice but I did it and it worked! Also, I colored my hair myself - I used a coupon to buy the dye and so two applications only cost $2.50 each.  As such, I figure I saved over $100 by not going to a salon.... :)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3774 on: July 11, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »
Coffee maker broke, so bought an Aeropress to replace it instead of some fancy schmancy espresso machine.  $25 vs $350.  Cha-ching!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3775 on: July 11, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »
Cooked up two pounDS of brown rice and froze in meal-sized portions. Made tonight's meal and six more ready to go. I'm much more likely to cook something good for us (like stir fry or curry) if the time consuming part is already done.

Money Mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3776 on: July 11, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »
Took kidlet to local kiddy amusement park (used cheap season passes purchased earlier in the year). Packed a picnic lunch including drinks, spent $0.00 (not counting gas) for 3 hours of fun.

Was tempted to hit Portilo's drive thru for dinner, sucked it up and I'm making skillet chili-mac instead. Much healthier and cheaper, plus now I have something for lunches the rest of the week.

This is something I did a few weeks ago, but I'll harvest the savings (literally) in the next day or two. I had bought some green onions as a topping to a dish I had made to bring to a party. I planted the leftover root ends in my veggie garden, and they've all grown back. I'll be making stir fry later this week, using the onions! My understanding is they grow back a few different times after cutting so we'll see how many meals I get out of them. Not bad for a .50 cent grocery purchase!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3777 on: July 11, 2015, 10:45:05 PM »
I've started collecting tiny leftovers in my freezer instead of the fridge. I have a hard time estimating the quantities, often leading to a little excess after dinner. These bits are not enough for a meal, and when kept in the fridge often end up thrown out anyway. By bagging, labelling and freezing them directly after cooking, they accumulate and I can cook them into a meal all by themselves. Less waste, less guilt, easy cooking.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #3778 on: July 11, 2015, 10:56:42 PM »
We filled up the grill today and cooked extra meat for the next few days. Takes the same amount of gas to cook 4-5 meals as it does to cook one.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3779 on: July 11, 2015, 11:06:41 PM »
We filled up the grill today and cooked extra meat for the next few days. Takes the same amount of gas to cook 4-5 meals as it does to cook one.

SMART!!!!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3780 on: July 12, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »
Complimented the Electronics person at Goodwill on the quality of her previous advice.  Made sure to do it in front of other people for extra effect.    I am shopping for stereo components and I want her to be eager to share information when she gets something good.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #3781 on: July 12, 2015, 10:17:50 AM »
Got up early to see the hot air balloons launch at 630 am for free. The Festival costs $25 to see them do the same thing at night. Afterwards went for a hike with friends.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #3782 on: July 12, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »
Coffee maker broke, so bought an Aeropress to replace it instead of some fancy schmancy espresso machine.  $25 vs $350.  Cha-ching!

My husband got me an Aeropress for Mothers Day and I love it!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3783 on: July 12, 2015, 12:33:30 PM »
I've officially made it 2 weeks using my bicycle for all errands and transportation needs within 5 miles of my home!  I notice that I sleep much better now, too.  And my sugar cravings have taken a nose dive now that I sleep better, which saves me a lot of $$ not buying Haagen Daz ice cream.  Between the biking and the cessation of ice cream I've notice my belly is shrinking rapidly, too.  I think MMM might be right when he called bikes the best invention ever.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3784 on: July 12, 2015, 12:53:29 PM »
I think I'm going to reread this whole thread and make notes. If I come up with a thematic summary, I'll write it up. So much good stuff.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3785 on: July 12, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
I think I'm going to reread this whole thread and make notes. If I come up with a thematic summary, I'll write it up. So much good stuff.

If you do, let one of the Mods know and we'll sticky it :)

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3786 on: July 12, 2015, 03:56:04 PM »

If you do, let one of the Mods know and we'll sticky it :)

Gotcha

Fatmouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3787 on: July 12, 2015, 06:20:14 PM »
Walked two miles round trip to the grocery store
Meal planned for the week
Prepped lots of food to make weekday meals easier
Indexed our food using Trello

Our Trello system for food is kinda fun.  We have two columns for a grocery list (pantry and fresh), and columns for produce on hand, dairy/bread/meat on hand, planned recipes, and leftovers.  For the produce, we can color code items with info such as near expiration, washed and prepped, etc.

I love spending my Sunday's this way.  Why don't I do this every single week?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3788 on: July 12, 2015, 11:13:01 PM »
Lowered my phone bill from $45/month to $30/month. Saved $180/year.

It cut my data from 3GB/month to 1GB/month, but with wifi at home and work, I need to suck it up and be sure to download podcasts, etc, before my commute.

My mother-in-law had me buy some groceries for her on the weekend. The current Coles promotion is to spend $100/week for four weeks then get $50 cash, so I picked up a few things for us as well to get over the line. One week down, three to go.

That $50 plus the $20 on my loyalty card will almost cover a week's groceries.

Still need to call to lower our contents insurance.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3789 on: July 13, 2015, 12:46:17 AM »
* Saved $55 on the rental car for our vacation by showing them our Costco card. We didn't secure the discount in advance but they gave us 10 percent off anyway.

* Made a shredded zucchini egg bake casserole thing out of the submarine-size zuke in the garden after a week away.

* Been feeding dead summer bugs to the chickens. Extra protein for them means better eggs for us.

* Put up lots of fresh basil by freezing in cubes with olive oil.

* Added chives from the garden in scrambled eggs.

* Harvested pattypan squash, green jack o'lantern pumpkin, tomatillos and tomatoes.

* Wanted to finish a cookbook I started reading while visiting a friend on vaecation. Discovered I could check out the ebook for FREE from our library rather than spending $17 to buy online (cheapest used book price on Amazon). And since it's an ebook instead of physical media even have to go to the library to pick it up!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:11:45 PM by jengod »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3790 on: July 13, 2015, 01:24:35 AM »

This rocks, tyort1!! This is totally a goal of mine!
I've officially made it 2 weeks using my bicycle for all errands and transportation needs within 5 miles of my home! 

Today I:

*Hosted an extended family BBQ -- we had everyone bring a large salad, and we did burgers on the grill (and a banana cake for dessert). We ended up with potato salad, suey choy cabbage salad, linguine salad and pistachio salad. Everyone was raving about the food.

*Made above banana cake with leftover bananas that were pretty spotty. Also made banana icing, which many of the guests found unique and tasty.

*Made pancakes for lunch after church instead of hitting a drive thru.

I've noticed how so often, my money saving comes in the form of food/kitchen/grocery shopping.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3791 on: July 13, 2015, 01:59:22 AM »
Today it's rainy, so I'll be putting on my raincoat and rainpants before I hop on the bike. Eventhough there's a car available, that bicycle habit is getting pretty ingrained by now :-)

Nothing spent yesterday or today so far. Fell off the no groceries or take-out bandwagon, but I'm getting back on today.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3792 on: July 13, 2015, 07:14:48 AM »
I've noticed how so often, my money saving comes in the form of food/kitchen/grocery shopping.

That is why I love your updates, always inspiring :)

We have been nuking wasp nests with a peppermint oil/dish soap mix and a bottle spray attachment for the hose instead of calling in someone to deal with it.

Ditto for the spiders. Been laying down diatomaceous earth to try and keep the wood bugs out of our basement, seems to be working thus far.

Made some polenta for breakfast instead of oatmeal as we have a bunch of cornmeal to use up.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3793 on: July 13, 2015, 08:12:47 AM »
I've started collecting tiny leftovers in my freezer instead of the fridge. I have a hard time estimating the quantities, often leading to a little excess after dinner. These bits are not enough for a meal, and when kept in the fridge often end up thrown out anyway. By bagging, labelling and freezing them directly after cooking, they accumulate and I can cook them into a meal all by themselves. Less waste, less guilt, easy cooking.
One tip I read on this before (on the mortgagefreeinthree blog, great website IMO, can't post links at the moment but google finds it easily enough) is to take whatever leftovers you have and freeze them in a muffin/bun tray. Once they're frozen, you can pop the discs out and store them in a ziploc bag. You can even mush the stuff up all together before freezing. Then, next time you're making a basic soup or stew, you can just pop one or two of these discs into it and in that way, use up even small amounts of leftovers and discover new and interesting flavour combinations.

My money saving this weekend came from cutting my hair again. Cut what felt like a good few inches off but it doesn't really look all that much shorter. This time I was a bit more careful, although I'm very glad that curls are so forgiving. Got my friend in work to give me an honest opinion today and she was able to spot that I'd managed to cut it all more or less straight but one lone curl was hanging down a little bit more than the others - so off it came with the office scissors and we're all good to go again. :)  She did say that otherwise it was a really nice cut, so that's something.

Nancy

« Reply #3794 on: July 13, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
Picked up brand new, still in the box storage drawers by the dumpster of my building. I really needed these, so I'm beyond excited.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3795 on: July 13, 2015, 12:01:38 PM »
Unplugged the crockpot once the beans started to boil.  They will finish cooking with the residual heat.  Soaked them first of course.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3796 on: July 13, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »
Biked to the berry picking spot, picked another quart or so of blackberries. Got a 25lb case of peaches for $3 at the local ethnic market. As suspected, they were on the mealy side - but that's okay, they're fine for smoothies, and I'm going to try a batch of jam from them. If it goes well, I'll do them all as jam.

On a related note - scored 8 jars of pectin in the markdown bin at kroger, marked down from $4.19 to 82¢ each, except for one no cook pectin that was 92¢ (bringing my total to $6.66. Hmmm.) They don't even expire until 2018.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3797 on: July 13, 2015, 02:06:10 PM »
That is why I love your updates, always inspiring :)

Thanks for the love, @Swick, you made my day!

So far today, I have:

*hung up a load of laundry to dry

*re-used my tea bag -- I love strong tea but suffered through it. Haha!

*used up a bag of salmon burgers and buns from the deep freeze for lunch

*while I was digging in the freezer, I took out ground beef for sweet and sour meatballs tonight and a whole chicken for tomorrow night on the rotisserie.

*turning off fans in rooms I'm not sitting in. I read that a fan only keeps you cool if you are sitting in front of it - otherwise, it's just moving the warm air around.

*starting a batch of "Artisan Bread in 5" for eating fresh for the next few days

*sending in claim forms for physiotherapy, massage therapy and chiropractor for our family -- face punching self for leaving that money just sitting there in their bank account instead of mine!

*starting a batch of beans in the crockpot and turning it off when the beans start to boil as suggested by @2ndTimer. Great idea that I hadn't thought of before.

ETA a few more things I did in the latter part of the day:

*made an apple rhubarb crisp with the 1 1/2 cups of diced rhubarb we were able to get off of our fledgling plant

*made a jar of plum syrup from the mostly sour, slightly sweet plums growing along my driveway.

*made zucchini brownies with 1/2 of a baseball bat-sized zucchini we were given.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:19:16 PM by 1967mama »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3798 on: July 13, 2015, 05:30:39 PM »
Had a physio appointment last night but was only out of pocket $17 thanks to health insurance. Will see how I feel before making another appointment.

Put on a cold wash before I left for work this morning.

Didn't run the heater this morning.

Packed lunch out of last night's leftovers.

Spent some money this morning sending flowers after an elderly relative died last night, but I spent a few minutes shopping around for a website with a promotion.

And one really small, really silly thing I've started doing: I keep a small bottle of glasses cleaner in my desk at work. (I can't stand dirty glasses.) I've worked out how to squeeze half a pump instead of a full pump of the solution. More than enough to clean my lenses, and it means the bottle (which I refill from a large bottle at home) will last twice as long. And now I'm telling the internet about it... >.<

Eristheunorganized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3799 on: July 13, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
Hung laundry to dry
Ate leftovers, some of which where from a wedding and I did not pay for
Checked to see if my auto insurance rate was still decent
I did shop, but I bought cereal on sale and toothbrush heads in bulk
Maxed out my Bing rewards