Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029821 times)

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3650 on: June 26, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »
Biking to work (again), made lunch and dinner, harvested for said lunch and dinner, picked up even more strawberries for a steal at the farmers market (because one can never eat too many strawberries, in my book).
Arranged a deal for this weekend: friend will walk my dog on Saturday afternoon, I'll watch hers on Sunday. Good trade :)

candygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3651 on: June 26, 2015, 01:40:53 PM »
Saw a sign on the side of the road "30 eggs for $4".  Supported a local chicken farmer and got lots of fresh brown eggs in the fridge.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3652 on: June 26, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »
Walked to supermarket yesterday (1.5 miles each way) to pick up a few items that had good sale prices and coupons for.  Submitted for $9 worth of rebates on top. But didn't realize until I got home that a 12-pack of toilet paper had rung up at full price instead of sale price.

Didn't have time to walk over to supermarket today because I had to be back for a meeting, so I drove back and got refunded the $4 TP overage. Wanted to get more out of my car trip, though, so I stopped at the liquor store that's on the way back and picked up 2 bottles of booze, both on sale for $6 and $7 off, then came home and submitted for $14 more in rebates.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3653 on: June 26, 2015, 07:59:25 PM »
Returned some items to store and Amazon, made sure that we were getting back rebates as expected and convinced husband to eat dinner at home instead of togo

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3654 on: June 26, 2015, 09:08:07 PM »
* Replaced two broken sprinklers ALL BY MYSELF, I AM A BADASS. Reprogramming our sprinklers to only water two times a week in keeping with new drought-related regulations. We also have to reduce our overall usage by 16 percent so thinking about that.

* Cashed in $2 of recycling today and used the redemption value to buy two boxes of discounted dry pasta for $.99 each.

* There was an extra $.55 in the change machine and I said it wasn't mine but the bagger said someone probably left it and I should just take it.

* Harvested another zucchini.

* Stopped at an estate sale, picked up another Pyrex clear casserole for myself and a reading lamp for my son.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3655 on: June 27, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »
Last night, I went to the movies with friends and we couldn't do our typical matinee money-saving due to everyone's work schedule.  So, instead we got ticket passes at  BJs Wholesale and saved $4 per night ticket.  It was still 50 cents more than a matinee, but it was decent enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3656 on: June 27, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »
Fixed a ceiling fan with a $5 speed controller rather than a $70 fan.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #3657 on: June 27, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »
I tried taking the bus to work and back home yesterday.  It was quicker than driving and overall pretty painless, for a grand total of $3.50.  I am seriously considering ditching my clown car now. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3658 on: June 27, 2015, 07:21:19 PM »
My husband and I went Jurassic yesterday with some Gold Class movie vouchers he received for Christmas.

I just called our car insurance provider and managed to save $384 off our annual policy.

My husband made $370 from a freelance project a couple of weeks ago, so this week I'm keeping an eye out for that payment.

This week I'm really struggling with wanting to spend money on family and friends. I go through phases like this, where I'm happy to continue 'denying' myself but tempted to spoil others. :/

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3659 on: June 27, 2015, 09:05:40 PM »
*made brownies and pizza from scratch
*hosted a staff BBQ and was left with probably $50 in meat and $30 in cheese. Also received $100 restaurant gc as a thank you
*weekly trip to public library - kids doing summer reading club again and have chances to win books and book store gc's - grand prize is an iPad
*didn't go in any stores today

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3660 on: June 28, 2015, 08:02:08 AM »
Yesterday, I earned some money for teaching taekwondo classes and cleaning the dojang.  Then, I picked up a book I had reserved at the library around the corner.  I ate all meals at home, including making some chicken a la king from scratch over homemade bread for dinner.  So overall, I spent nothing yesterday and made some extra money.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3661 on: June 28, 2015, 05:12:50 PM »
Didn't buy soft drink while grocery shopping. I only use it as a mixer, but I'm having a clean week to help get over jet lag and the flu, so no alcohol.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3662 on: June 28, 2015, 05:43:27 PM »
Did the week's grocery shopping, spent just $22 (on perishables), then came home and fed us and two guests from the pantry.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3663 on: June 28, 2015, 08:07:16 PM »
Made chocolate croissants for a work morning tea instead of buying something to take in, using puff pastry I already had on hand and some choc chips that were on special at the supermarket.

Made up a big batch of work lunches on the weekend, as well as almond butter, granola, and bread.

Hosted crochet day on the weekend, so spent time with lovely friends for the price of some homemade snacks.

Signed up for a cheap(er) online provider for my mobile phone. Will save me $30/month and I can cancel/change at any time.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3664 on: June 28, 2015, 08:16:23 PM »
Cut up some flank steak for fajitas, then decided it was more than we needed, so put half of it back in the fridge to have in a stirfry tomorrow.

Altering my cheap saddle pads to make them work like more expensive saddle pads I've been wishing for.

Harvested a bunch of lovely beets from the garden.

Making kombucha and coconut butter, which costs a fraction of buying them pre-made.

Rescued an alarm clock DH was going to toss and mounted it inside the door of my horse trailer.

Yesterday - discovered that the dollar store carries micro-USB cables.  I was about to spend $9 for a fancy retractable one from Amazon, but for $8 less, I'm content with a non-retractable.  Also found the peppered kippered herring I like in the clearance bin at the grocery for half the usual price, so bought all they had (only 7 cans, but that's about a $10 savings).  Had slaw and roasted potatoes from our garden produce for dinner.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3665 on: June 29, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
Cut up some flank steak for fajitas, then decided it was more than we needed, so put half of it back in the fridge to have in a stirfry tomorrow.

Altering my cheap saddle pads to make them work like more expensive saddle pads I've been wishing for.

Harvested a bunch of lovely beets from the garden.

Making kombucha and coconut butter, which costs a fraction of buying them pre-made.

Rescued an alarm clock DH was going to toss and mounted it inside the door of my horse trailer.

Yesterday - discovered that the dollar store carries micro-USB cables.  I was about to spend $9 for a fancy retractable one from Amazon, but for $8 less, I'm content with a non-retractable.  Also found the peppered kippered herring I like in the clearance bin at the grocery for half the usual price, so bought all they had (only 7 cans, but that's about a $10 savings).  Had slaw and roasted potatoes from our garden produce for dinner.
$ store does carry cables n chargers. But they are lesser than 1A cables which takes forever to charge and less efficient. Lookout for the 2A cables which retail for under $2.5 in fleabay/AtoZ. They are worth the extra dollar!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3666 on: June 29, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »
This morning, I rode over to the library and read the newspaper, then did my grocery shopping for the week, which consisted of purchasing one gallon of milk.  I am trying to eat all the stuff I have in my fridge, freezer, and pantry instead to save money.  I was really tempted to ride my bicycle to Rita's and buy an italian ice, but instead I decided to eat an early lunch at home on the patio in my backyard and watch the bird feeder.  I have what appears to be the only bird feeder in the neighborhood, so there are a ton of birds back here, including a very nice-looking male cardinal.  Simple pleasures.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3667 on: June 29, 2015, 09:19:33 PM »
Rescued my Tupperware container from the work kitchen (I forgot to take it home before I went away).

Eating homemade lunch at my desk while browsing the forum.

Eristheunorganized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3668 on: June 30, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »
Yesterday I took advantage of the unusually warm weather and dried all my laundry outside. I ate all my meals at home and the only money I spent was $10 on my Judo class.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3669 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:07 AM »
I'd been using the same pajamas for eight years and today it was finally time to replace them because they were completely threadbare and full of holes.  I rode my bicycle about 3 miles to Target and got new pajamas off the clearance rack at 25% off and then got another 5% off for using my Redcard and another 5 cents off for bringing my own bag.  I'm not happy that I needed to spend money, but at least I got it as cheaply as possible.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #3670 on: June 30, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »
Yesterday: harvested 21 pounds of asian plums that were dead ripe off our tree. Started 6 gallons of plum wine with the plums (way too many to eat fresh). So that'll be 25 or 26 bottles of wine in a year or so. Harvested cabbage, broc, zuke, tomatoes, herbs, onions, snap peas and blueberries. Hung around the house all day. Cooked all meals at home. Line dried 2 loads of laundry (gotta love these 85+ days for line drying FAST!). Hubs bought a vintage aircraft manual but otherwise, no spending. I am LOVING summer vacation with the kids.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3671 on: June 30, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »
I'd been using the same pajamas for eight years and today it was finally time to replace them because they were completely threadbare and full of holes. 

Wow, eight years. My nightwear usually lasts a short time as I move around in my sleep so much and I must yank it about.:P

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3672 on: June 30, 2015, 05:51:04 PM »
Brought in yesterday's line-dried clothes and put on another load to cold wash before I left for work.

Tax time in Australia, so I re-read our profession's listing on the ATO looking for new deductions, then collated receipts for work-related expenses.

Cornelia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3673 on: June 30, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »
Had a super nice dinner out with the Mister at a local Italian place, paid for it all on a gift card from last Christmas, and got free babysitting from my mil and bil. Awesome!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3674 on: July 01, 2015, 02:32:56 PM »
*  Brought some nuts and fruit from home to snack on for lunch
*  Setting up a new potential side income project
*  No extra driving today (just work and back)
*  No money spent
*  Found three pennies on the ground :)

This was yesterday, but . . . bought the year-long service card for the phone and saved $45 overall.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3675 on: July 01, 2015, 05:47:12 PM »
Unsubscribed from a handful of store email subscriptions to cut down temptation. I'm sure it will save me money in the long run.

Walked a couple of kays across the city to buy a birthday present for my husband. In the past I would have paid the $10 postage.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3676 on: July 01, 2015, 07:00:46 PM »
Oooh, one more.

While speaking to our power company today about an unrelated matter, I mentioned that I'd been unhappy with their customer service - namely, receiving a letter threatening to cut off our power for non-payment when the same letter showed our account was $200 in credit.

The power company rep added a $20 credit to our account for inconvenience, even though that happened months ago.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3677 on: July 01, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »
*made a huge tuna macaroni coleslaw for dinner -- it fed 7 of us. I was hoping for leftovers. Haha. C'est la vie!

*bought citronella candles and tiki torches at the $ store.

*kids watching free kids shows online

*daughter made copy-cat Power Cookies (from Whole Foods). They turned out great!

*streaming new music on computer 

Eristheunorganized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3678 on: July 01, 2015, 09:52:51 PM »
Line dried some more clothes, brought lunch to work and spent no dollars today.

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #3679 on: July 01, 2015, 11:42:05 PM »
Booted my RIA.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #3680 on: July 02, 2015, 12:03:43 AM »
Yesterday: harvested 21 pounds of asian plums that were dead ripe off our tree. Started 6 gallons of plum wine with the plums (way too many to eat fresh). So that'll be 25 or 26 bottles of wine in a year or so. Harvested cabbage, broc, zuke, tomatoes, herbs, onions, snap peas and blueberries. Hung around the house all day. Cooked all meals at home. Line dried 2 loads of laundry (gotta love these 85+ days for line drying FAST!). Hubs bought a vintage aircraft manual but otherwise, no spending. I am LOVING summer vacation with the kids.
Have not made plum wine yet but it sounds delicious.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #3681 on: July 02, 2015, 12:05:05 AM »
Stopped at the grocery store to buy blueberries for the freezer and didn't buy anything else.

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #3682 on: July 02, 2015, 01:18:26 AM »
I challenge myself to abstain from the canteen for a breakfast snack. My coworkers go every morning and i used to go as well. Ill probably save around 25 Euros a month by bringing my own snack. So far so good. Im on day four.

ashem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3683 on: July 02, 2015, 05:38:32 AM »
I finally cancelled my 16-year-old e-mail account, saving $7.95/month.

I switched from paying our life insurance monthly to annually, saving $80/year. Still need to do this with my auto insurance policy.

I changed my husband's 401K investments so we're paying lower expense ratios.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3684 on: July 02, 2015, 06:07:00 AM »

I finally cancelled my 16-year-old e-mail account, saving $7.95/month.

Haha the days before Gmail when people actually used to pay for better features in their email services. It's hard for me to remember what the differentiators actually were - the only one I recall is more storage.

ashem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3685 on: July 02, 2015, 06:25:59 AM »
I kept hearing MMM saying, "Is it convenient? Wrong question."

I wasn't always charged for the e-mail account. Just after dropping their internet service.

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3686 on: July 02, 2015, 09:03:36 AM »
Last night I replaced a vacuum hose on my car with some leftover hose I had from a previous project.  I got a $20 coupon for a flight from cheapoair in my inbox this morning so I may apply it to a trip I'm planning in Nov. 

MrsPfennig, I have the almost daily cantina trip here at work also.  I'm also trying to do better about bringing my own snack and avoiding the soda trap.

MNBen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3687 on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:05 AM »
Called the loyalty department of our internet provider after our 12-month trial period discount expired this week and we were paying full price.  I was able to get another 12-months at the same discounted price (about $40/month cheaper than I was paying before the phone call).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3688 on: July 02, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »
Received a letter from our telco saying they had been incorrectly charging us for my husband's phone. $55 credit.

I check our bills closely each month, but the mistake goes back to when he changed plans in December and has been recurring each month.

Starting to think credits breed credits. I've now had three in a week ($20 for my phone bill, $20 for our power bill, $55 for my husband's phone bill).

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3689 on: July 02, 2015, 05:26:44 PM »
Went to Target and ONLY bought the things on my list. It's been a long time since I've done that.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3690 on: July 02, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »
On school hols and browsing for movies to watch on Foxtel - found some awesome old classics for $3.95 each (Hocus Pocus, Troop Beverley Hills, Big Business  - oh, the memories!) - instead of renting one, we looked through our huge pre-MMM DVD collections and found things to watch for free instead.

Submitted my (Aus) tax return, which, will allow me to claim a payoff benefit for some of my school loans, saving me $3k  (HECSHELP benefit).

Went to the op shop and found 4shirts and a skirt for $1/each.

Rugged up instead of turning on the heating during our unusually cold winter morning.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3691 on: July 02, 2015, 06:39:52 PM »
Submitted my (Aus) tax return, which, will allow me to claim a payoff benefit for some of my school loans, saving me $3k  (HECSHELP benefit).

Is that the five per cent bonus on payments over $500?

I'm hoping to make the most of that and get my husband's paid off (balance should be $6500 after this tax return) before January, in case it ends.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3692 on: July 02, 2015, 08:24:49 PM »
So, mostly the usual . . .
*  took lunch to work
*  no extra driving
*  no money spent

Also . . . just posting here.  Keeps me focused and on track.  When I am active here, it really does save me $$ overall. 

Now. . . excited to make all meals for the next week out of what currently exists in the pantry and fridge!  Hello, creativity!

Tenlha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3693 on: July 02, 2015, 08:33:40 PM »
Took my lunch to work every day in June, except for one day I forgot. I went to Sprout's that day and bought a very large vegetarian deli burrito for $2.50.

I take sandwiches every day, except one day a week I take a tv dinner that costs $3.50. So, that's my splurge, as opposed to going out.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3694 on: July 03, 2015, 02:30:51 AM »

Also . . . just posting here.  Keeps me focused and on track.  When I am active here, it really does save me $$ overall. 

So true for me, also. When I'm not posting here regularly, that's a red flag for me!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3695 on: July 03, 2015, 03:00:48 AM »

So true for me, also. When I'm not posting here regularly, that's a red flag for me!

And me. My goal is to have something to post in this thread each day. Helps keep me focused on the little things while we're in a stage where we don't have opportunities for big wins (in a good way - we've cut back and negotiated down all our regular payments, and we are very content with our frugal lifestyle).

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3696 on: July 03, 2015, 03:16:36 AM »
Sold the redundant half of a the shell-shaped kiddie pool. They only sell them per 2, but I just needed one for cooling my dog. Found someone else with the exact same "problem". Another 10 euros saved and it made two dogowners happy :-)

Really wanted to not cook yesterday night. So instead of getting take out or going out to eat, I just made two huge sandwiches for the both of us. Ignored the vending machine with icecold drinks at the hospital, brought my own cool water flask instead. Hung three loads of laundry in the blasting sun. Forgot to water the garden, but my plants were saved by a nice downpour in the evening - no tapwater needed after all.

Jtrey17

• Stubble
« Reply #3697 on: July 03, 2015, 10:32:26 AM »
Instead of buying lettuce at the farmers market I planted seed into hanging baskets that were literally just hanging in the garage-I didn't even amend the soil. I'm having a salad for lunch and it tastes delish!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3698 on: July 03, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »
$2 breakfast, free second breakfast, free lunch.
Free breakfast yesterday
Free breakfast tomorrow.

Free food across the city all week, unfortunately I will likely gain 5 pounds by the end of the week.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3699 on: July 03, 2015, 11:02:07 AM »
Forgot a couple over the last three days:

Sold an old game console I had floating around. Less space and $ to boot!
Decided not to buy new carrots. The ones I have are perfectly edible, just a bit on the dry side. Somehow I will survive, lol.
Using the bananas that are going soft (thanks, summer, for making that happen in TWO DAYS). Smoothies don't care if a banana is spotty or not!
Still eating a ton of guacamole. Avocados are still on sale, and it's a great healthy food that doesn't heat up the house. Healthier and cheaper than buying pre-made.
Didn't go out for food when DH was out of town. Two trips in a row now! Hoping I keep this rolling.