Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029142 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2500 on: February 14, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »
Our fridge malfunctioned and froze a bunch of produce, so made a pot of soup to salvage as much as I could.  Got a 10% off Lowe's coupon today as it looks like we're in the market for a new fridge, after some trouble shooting one.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2501 on: February 14, 2015, 01:48:29 PM »
For some reason I woke up at 4am this morning and got productive.

Emptied my piggy bank and rolled up the coins
Made more pizza dough
Made hot chocolate mix
Did laundry, hung towels to dry
Started to make scones, but had no milk or shortening. Will finish now that I just got back from the grocery store
Walked to grocery store. Next time I'm remembering to bring a backpack. My arms are so sore!!!
Carpooling later tonight to a house party

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2502 on: February 14, 2015, 02:28:28 PM »
I bought a copy of "Living with Ed" Season 1 on DVD -- Ed Begley Jr.'s reality show about environmentally-friendly living -- used for $4 on Amazon and paid for it with a gift card I got for using Bing as my search engine instead of Google.  I haven't been able to find this show anywhere else, so it feels like I made out like a bandit here since I didn't even have to pay anything for it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2503 on: February 14, 2015, 04:44:23 PM »
I bought a copy of "Living with Ed" Season 1 on DVD -- Ed Begley Jr.'s reality show about environmentally-friendly living -- used for $4 on Amazon and paid for it with a gift card I got for using Bing as my search engine instead of Google.  I haven't been able to find this show anywhere else, so it feels like I made out like a bandit here since I didn't even have to pay anything for it.
I loved that show when it was on cable years ago.

Today, we celebrated - we had breakfast and snacks at home.  Then we went to the beach with the kids.  Took water and snacks.  Played in the (cold) water and sand, picked up interesting rocks and shells.  We always tend to go out around lunch time, but the snacks kept us going.

We parked at a free park and walked a mile to the beach, came home, had lunch.  I've got pork chops cooking and we are baking cookies.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #2504 on: February 14, 2015, 04:57:21 PM »
Changed the Universal joints on my truck myself.

Nancy

« Reply #2505 on: February 14, 2015, 06:32:19 PM »
* Comparison-shopped HSAs.
* Continued researching new place to live w/ lower cost of living.
* Turned extra platter of sushi given to us for free by mistake yesterday (restaurant made 1 too many; told us to keep it) into fish chowder with ginger, lime, zucchini, and red peppers.
* Joined MMM forum. :)
Welcome!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2506 on: February 14, 2015, 08:43:32 PM »
Just cut my toddler boy's hair.  Used to cut my big boy's hair a lot, got out of the habit.  It's a little ragged, but I'll get better, right?

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #2507 on: February 14, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »
We decided to 'make do''
Our insulated lunch bag, which holds my husbands water bottle broke...zipper completely broke.
I found an elastic..and that worked great.

Then my husband forgot where he left the water bottle bag.

We are in the middle of the Australian Outback, and we didn't want to buy a new, if we can even  find one....husband misplaces things a lot :)

I took an old t-shirt, and wrapped  it  around another bottle, put it inside of a  brown paper bag, and kept it together with duct tape.

That kept him in cool water, until he found his broken insulated bag...which he did a couple of  days later.

Only needs to last for another week...when we leave this area.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2508 on: February 15, 2015, 08:45:42 AM »
This was actually yesterday, but planning paid off. Relative had asked what we wanted for Xmas, so we asked for wine. He got us a very nice bottle, which we saved for Valentine's day. Spent the day hiking and then cooking a meal at home. Made for a cheap but really special day.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2509 on: February 15, 2015, 01:40:32 PM »
New fridge purchase today:  $1439 on sale.  Used a 10% off coupon from mycheapcoupons.com to save $143.90.  Purchased $1,000 of Lowe's gift cards from Fred Meyer to get 2,000 fuel points and an addition 1,000 store points, which will net about $55 in savings.  Also hoping the 5% cash back at grocery stores from Chase will kick in on the gift card purchase, for another $50 saved.  And also hoping that the new fridge will be a little more energy efficient than the one it's replacing.

I also picked up some straw to use as garden mulch.  Since people  get fussy about having perfect bales, I took the slightly water-damaged bales off their hands at 2 for the price of 1.

Heading out to clip my horses and trim their feet.  I always do this myself, but others pay $80 and $50 apiece, respectively, for these services, so I guess I could say I'm saving $260 by spending a pleasant afternoon outside getting hair clippings down my shirt and trying not to rasp my knuckles off.

Runny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2510 on: February 15, 2015, 01:58:04 PM »
I bought some really nice Valentines Day chocolates that were on sale at our pharmacy today. Ok admittedly this means I actually SPENT money today, but I saved money by not buying on Valentine's day. I got several boxes of Lindt Chocolates and a Toblerone that we're planning on either eating ourselves or give away as nice gifts during the year. I only paid $10. Total savings according to the receipt: $36.50. Whaaaaat?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2511 on: February 15, 2015, 02:03:27 PM »
I bought some really nice Valentines Day chocolates that were on sale at our pharmacy today. Ok admittedly this means I actually SPENT money today, but I saved money by not buying on Valentine's day. I got several boxes of Lindt Chocolates and a Toblerone that we're planning on either eating ourselves or give away as nice gifts during the year. I only paid $10. Total savings according to the receipt: $36.50. Whaaaaat?

Nice! Discount chocolate is amazing!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2512 on: February 15, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »
I loved that show when it was on cable years ago.

If you liked that show, you might like his new show "On Begley Street" about his family constructing a new eco-friendly house.  It's free to watch on eVox: http://www.evoxtelevision.com/series/begley-street

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2513 on: February 15, 2015, 02:38:48 PM »

Nice! Discount chocolate is amazing!

Mark Feb 15th, Nov 1st, Dec 25th, and whatever day happens to be after Easter as prime chocolate sale days :D. Although, if you wait a week you can find it marked 90%+ off. Hell, I got a x-mas Tur-Duc-Hen for $6 (4lb) this month instead of the list price of $25. Always wanted to try one!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2514 on: February 15, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »
*  Totally staying home today, so no money spent for anything.

Bonus: cleaning the house and discovering things that can be used/re-purposed!! 

Kstar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2515 on: February 15, 2015, 09:17:51 PM »
I finally repaired the zipper in my jeans myself.  It was easier than I thought it would be!

Tapp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2516 on: February 15, 2015, 09:43:23 PM »
Im selling the rest of PC gaming equipment tomorrow via craigslist. Finally saying goodbye to my dirty habit. Using money for my garden this season. So I can reduce grocery bill even more.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #2517 on: February 15, 2015, 09:57:25 PM »
Hung up the 3 million little baby clothes I washed today, even though the dryer was soooo tempting.  Was too tired to cook (am 9 months pregnant), but husband and I scrounged leftovers instead of getting prepared food.  Took chicken out of freezer for cooking tomorrow - we've been eating way too much expensive garbage lately, and I still have enough energy to cook if I do it earlier in the day.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2518 on: February 16, 2015, 12:35:58 AM »
Im selling the rest of PC gaming equipment tomorrow via craigslist. Finally saying goodbye to my dirty habit. Using money for my garden this season. So I can reduce grocery bill even more.

That is admirable. I'm on the other end and thinking about buying a gaming PC :-/

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2519 on: February 16, 2015, 08:39:49 AM »
Day off from work today.  Plan is to work on taxes, ick.  But avoided that so far by making two types of salad dressings and hummus.  Dinner for tonight is already in the crockpot - chicken and mushrooms. Signed up for a mystery shop for carpet cleaning, no fee, but my carpets get steam cleaned.  Since we think we'll be moving soon, this is something that needed to be done before we move anyway.  Taking DD out for lunch later today, another mystery shop, so lunch is free, I'll make a couple bucks and get to spend time with her. 

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2520 on: February 16, 2015, 08:50:05 AM »
Today, I had to order a replacement battery for my three-year-old Dell laptop.  I went to Amazon and found a well-reviewed battery for $26 including shipping and then used the $11 in Amazon gift cards I had left from Bing Rewards and paid the rest with Discover reward points.  Free is my favorite price.

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #2521 on: February 16, 2015, 09:02:09 AM »
Lighting my desk this a.m. with my solar Sunking Solo lamp (received as a Christmas list request gift). 

Runny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2522 on: February 16, 2015, 03:28:16 PM »
Made $5 today by returning several cases of beer that somebody had left next to the recycling bins. I'm curious what I will find next. A few months ago I found an old pair of skis there that I sold for $40.

I also opened all our curtains this afternoon to let the sun in and heat up our condo. Our electric baseboard heaters were completely off because the temperature inside was a cozy 23 C and I had set the thermostat at 20C. Not bad considering that it was -35C with the wind chill outside. Sometimes it pays off to have a place that's south west facing!

Tapp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2523 on: February 16, 2015, 03:45:45 PM »

That is admirable. I'm on the other end and thinking about buying a gaming PC :-/

Wow thank you. Im 21 and have played since I was a kid. When my family lost our house (foreclosure), it was how I coped with it all. But for me, it's a crutch. It allows me to ignore the fact i haven't finished my degree and stay out of shape. I strongly advice thinking about why you are getting one. It can quickly take over your life. It took me a lot of repeat quitting to finally do it.

And it's all gone. I got cash in hand. I'm free from that addiction.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2524 on: February 16, 2015, 03:50:40 PM »

Wow thank you. Im 21 and have played since I was a kid. When my family lost our house (foreclosure), it was how I coped with it all. But for me, it's a crutch. It allows me to ignore the fact i haven't finished my degree and stay out of shape. I strongly advice thinking about why you are getting one. It can quickly take over your life. It took me a lot of repeat quitting to finally do it.

And it's all gone. I got cash in hand. I'm free from that addiction.

Congrats. I've been there and I know the feeling. 3.5 years clean now, so glad I quit.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2525 on: February 16, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »
Sent my entire federal tax return to one of my credit cards, which is now very close to being paid off! Continuing my debit snowball.

Did not give into temptation and take my kids to the movies today (because it is freezing outside). Instead we took the dog for a walk down by the (frozen) river and played on the ice.

Bought a new dryer vent to hopefully fix up whatever is making my dryer cranky.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2526 on: February 17, 2015, 03:23:47 AM »
Today is my second consecutive no spend day. Hopefully I will have another tomorrow.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2527 on: February 17, 2015, 04:49:46 AM »
I had left over soup from yesterdays dinner for lunch today :)

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2528 on: February 17, 2015, 05:56:27 AM »
I sold a book this morning for $8 and ate at gourmet burger joint for lunch yesterday, complements of work.  I resisted the urge to eat Chickfila for breakfast this morning and smashed a few bananas instead.

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #2529 on: February 17, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »
Sent my entire federal tax return to one of my credit cards, which is now very close to being paid off! Continuing my debit snowball.

Have you considered having your withholding changed so you aren't loaning the gooberment money all year?  If you get it in your paycheck and then apply it to debt all thru the year you will pay less interest on your loans/

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2530 on: February 17, 2015, 07:18:49 AM »
Hung a load of pants outside to freeze dry in the predawn dark this morning. Snow has stopped.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2531 on: February 17, 2015, 09:12:07 AM »

Have you considered having your withholding changed so you aren't loaning the gooberment money all year?  If you get it in your paycheck and then apply it to debt all thru the year you will pay less interest on your loans/

Of course - and I have already done that. My tax situation changed radically for several years in a row and so it was problematic adjusting the withholdings for 2014.

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #2532 on: February 17, 2015, 09:29:22 AM »
I'm glad! :)

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #2533 on: February 17, 2015, 10:01:52 AM »
Did my usual weekend 'trash food' cooking spree to make use of food that would have otherwise gone into the garbage.  Made a crockpot of fabulous soup base from three bundles of frozen chicken bones, and a bag of veggie scraps.  Then, dug out about 20 bananas from the freezer (there's always 1 that gets overripe before you can eat it!), and made banana bread.  Also used up some bits of uneaten Hallowe'en chocolate, the zest and juice from a withered orange, remnants of shredded coconut and bran cereal and leftover applesauce in the bread.  End result = cheap and yummy!

Cooking from scratch is my mustachian superpower!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2534 on: February 17, 2015, 10:09:38 AM »
Cooking from scratch is my mustachian superpower!

Mine too.  I am currently extracting the last of the broth from some pork roast trimmings.  Will freeze it for future reference.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2535 on: February 17, 2015, 12:35:17 PM »
Went to a breakfast that was paid for by work.  Then, a few hours later, went to a seminar at work, and ate some of the fruit, crackers and cheese that was served.  Will skip dinner tonight.  So all my food for today was free!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2536 on: February 17, 2015, 12:49:18 PM »
  So all my food for today was free!

Way to go, NinetyFour! My husband is often able to do this at work as well! As a SAHM, I definitely go for the scratch cooking option as our #1 Mustachian superpower, too, RunningWithScissors!

I get so mad at myself when I have to use pre-made food due to poor planning. We were away on a little holiday this past weekend (free accommodations)  with our family, and we decided to stay through dinner instead of heading home after lunch. First thought was "lets order pizza!"  NO! So we went to the grocery store and filled the cart with frozen pizzas (big family, resort area prices) and I was doing the math and thought, "you know, its got to be cheaper to do this myself" but I knew I wouldn't be buying flour and yeast to roll out pizza dough.

We bought 4 bags of English Muffins (cheaper than bagels), a can of spaghetti sauce, a couple bags of shredded mozzarella and a tube of on sale pepperoni and had "pizza buns" along with bagged salad that included dressing. By my math, it would have been $90 to order pizza (no salad), $67 to buy frozen pizzas (no salad), or $63 to have the pizza buns and salad which tasted amazing and was ample food for our crew. I also came home with an extra bag of 6 English Muffins and one small bag of grated Mozza. I was very happy with my thought processes on this, although I noticed that my default option was still to order in <sigh>. I'm definitely a work in progress.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2537 on: February 17, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »
*  researching couponing
*  getting set to do a balance transfer to lower the APR on the credit card debt
*  homemade lunch from leftovers
*  will spend no money today

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2538 on: February 17, 2015, 01:36:18 PM »
researching couponing
*  getting set to do a balance transfer to lower the APR on the credit card debt
*  homemade lunch from leftovers
*  will spend no money today
Savingstar is my favorite.  No coupons to remember to bring plus if there are printable coupons, I can double up sometime. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2539 on: February 18, 2015, 05:54:25 AM »
1967mama--whenever you are absent from this thread for a day or two, I wonder if you are out on a spending binge in a consumer sukka mall somewhere...

;-)

I'm always relieved when you come back with your frugal habits intact!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2540 on: February 18, 2015, 08:52:14 AM »
1967mama--whenever you are absent from this thread for a day or two, I wonder if you are out on a spending binge in a consumer sukka mall somewhere...

;-)

Haha! 

I packed my lunch (leftovers), breakfast (made scones over the weekend), and snack (leftover sweet potato).  I showered at the gym this morning and carpooled to work. 

I also brought gifted tea bags that I won't use to work to share with my coworkers.  I've started planning what I'm going to cook this weekend.  Right now, I'm thinking of making lasagna (have noodles from a friend, homemade sauce last weekend, and ground beef in the freezer) and peanut butter cookies both were requested by my DH.  I'll have to buy sugar, eggs, ricotta cheese and mozzarella. 

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #2541 on: February 18, 2015, 08:57:13 AM »
Walked the .5 mile in the cold weather to the dentist instead of driving like old me would have. Also resisted the urge to buy breakfast from Dunk in Donuts on my way in to work, and will instead eat the oatmeal I have in my bag once I get there.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2542 on: February 18, 2015, 10:32:26 AM »
Currently wearing thrift store wool socks, wool hat and sweatshirt enabling me to turn off pellet stove.  Thermostat says 56 degrees.  Drinking rewarmed leftover coffee with bought-on-sale-and-frozen half and half.

You guys are my inspiration.  Reading this thread reminded me to put on my wool and shut off the stove.

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2543 on: February 18, 2015, 10:32:57 AM »
I cut my own hair!  I used to go months between $40 cuts... now I actually cut it as often as you're supposed to (~6 weeks), and it's super quick.  I just brush it forward to a ponytail on my forehead, pull the band to last inch or half inch of hair, snip snip, and voila!  On with my day.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #2544 on: February 18, 2015, 10:50:23 AM »
Quote from: 2ndTimer
Thermostat says 56 degrees.
That's hardcore.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2545 on: February 18, 2015, 11:09:43 AM »
*  Requested balance transfer that will save a pile of money in interest over the next year.  If I stick to the plan, I should be able to have it all paid off by then (stay tuned - lol!)

*  leftovers for lunch again today . . .

*  loaded some coupon apps onto my phone (thanks for the recommendation!)

*  started a $5 jar . . . all $5 bills that I come across will go into that jar

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2546 on: February 18, 2015, 01:07:26 PM »

;-)

Bwahahahah! This made my day :-) Maybe I've been caught, red-handed???!!!!

Today:

1) Using leftover rice to make "Mexican Lentils" for dinner.

2) Kids ate up leftover ham and noodles at lunch. They created this themselves! So proud of my little 1967's!! They diced up ham on top of the noodles, grated a little cheese and threw it all in the microwave. Everyone seems satisfied with their meal.

3) Hanging karate gear out in the sunshine to dry it FAST for tonite's class without using the dryer.

4) Turned off the furnace when I got up this morning. I should almost program it to turn off in the day, but we are here every day and I rarely forget.

5) Husband is doing our own taxes. A few years ago, we had an accountants office do it and we were very disappointed in the service and then had to pay $500 for that privilege .. pffft!

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #2547 on: February 18, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »
Didn't buy lunch when in town for a Craigslist sale delivery.  Took son to thrift stores for something he needed for his computer, but I didn't spend any money there.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #2548 on: February 18, 2015, 03:19:38 PM »
On Sunday I picked up some 30ml dressing cups for half price at the supermarket, and made salads for myself and my housemate for the week. The dressing cups are now full of a tasty homemade honey mustard dressing!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2549 on: February 18, 2015, 04:10:55 PM »

;-)

Bwahahahah! This made my day :-) Maybe I've been caught, red-handed???!!!!

Today:

1) Using leftover rice to make "Mexican Lentils" for dinner.

2) Kids ate up leftover ham and noodles at lunch. They created this themselves! So proud of my little 1967's!! They diced up ham on top of the noodles, grated a little cheese and threw it all in the microwave. Everyone seems satisfied with their meal.

3) Hanging karate gear out in the sunshine to dry it FAST for tonite's class without using the dryer.

4) Turned off the furnace when I got up this morning. I should almost program it to turn off in the day, but we are here every day and I rarely forget.

5) Husband is doing our own taxes. A few years ago, we had an accountants office do it and we were very disappointed in the service and then had to pay $500 for that privilege .. pffft!

When you had not posted at noontime, I was getting worried that you were off on a spending spree, but apparently not!!  :)