Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029588 times)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1750 on: November 03, 2014, 12:01:08 PM »
I thought about turning on the pilot light of my gas heater this morning, but instead, I put on my down jacket.  It was 53F in my house--not too bad.  Tonight, though, the outside temp is supposed to be in the low 20s, which means tomorrow morning, I may wimp out and turn the heat on.

Took the bus to my workplace this morning ($1) instead of driving my own vehicle (would have had to buy a $5 parking pass).  Normally, I would walk or bike, but my injured leg doesn't allow for either of those right now.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1751 on: November 03, 2014, 12:13:34 PM »
Carpool to work while drinking a smoothie for breakfast.  Made tea from gift tea leaves at work.  I also packed my lunch (large sweet potato and iced tea) and snacks (hard-boiled eggs). 

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #1752 on: November 04, 2014, 09:31:59 PM »
I'm starting to figure out Christmas gifts for my very non-mustachian family....my brother mentioned that he would really like a panini press.

I was pretty sure that would be more than my Christmas budget ($50), as the best deal I could find was $85.  Then I remembered I hadn't done anything with my airmiles in a while.....so I checked, and lo and behold....there was a Cuisinart Griddler, and I had more than enough miles to get it.  Christmas gift procured, $0 spent.

I don't regret the loss of the Airmiles because there isn't really anything I need, and the type of miles I had been accruing isn't good for gift cards/cash.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #1753 on: November 05, 2014, 07:24:08 AM »
Had to spend an hour online making sure my vonage phone worked with the new router. During the call I got them to put me on the introductory rate – saving $150 in the next year.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1754 on: November 05, 2014, 08:19:07 AM »
Bundled dentist appointment, prescription pickup and grocery shopping into one trip.  Restocked my bulk pantry:  Rice, grits, tapioca etc.

AgileTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1755 on: November 05, 2014, 11:45:03 AM »

Warmed up leftover coffee from yesterday instead of making a fresh pot.

That is going way to far :)
I am thinking about switching to a French Press to make smaller amounts. Left over re-heated coffee makes me sad.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1756 on: November 05, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »
We have to drive 4 hours tonight. Rather than stop for fast food, I've packed some sandwiches, fruit, nuts, and water.

Related to the above posts: Dh will still want to stop for coffee later on, because even if I packed a thermos, he'd claim it isn't fresh after four hours and won't want it.

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #1757 on: November 05, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »
I have a small hand grinder, a moca-pot and a camping stove in a little draw string bag. They tend to come with me on long car trips so that I can stop somewhere with a view to have my fresh ground coffee, rather then a road side cafe somewhere uninspiring with day old filter.

Today I borrowed the tools to fix the broken/missing spoke on my bike.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1758 on: November 05, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »
Made my own sugar body scrub.  My skin has been itchy and dry, so I mixed some sugar with gifted massage oil.  My skin is hydrated and exfoliated.

I cut up and froze apples that were mealy for sweetening my breakfast smoothies.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1759 on: November 05, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »
Recent things I haven't noted here:

1) Borrowed SO's father's 4x4 to do our move (paid him $20 instead of $100 to rent for a day).

2) Made 25 beef burritos at about $0.75 each (a guess), frozen for times I don't want to cook dinner/make lunch for work.

3) Got a library card and borrowed books I've been wanting to read instead of buying them.

4) Pledged with this move to get rid of shit I don't need, though a bit hung up on a couple things that were gifts that I don't really want to keep but people might get mad if I sold...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1760 on: November 05, 2014, 12:32:31 PM »
Did a MASSIVE grocery shop before my upcoming surgery so that the family won't be tempted to order in.

Premade a huge chill, spaghetti sauce and taco meat/rice mixture for easy post surgery meals that the kids can heat up.

Precooked 2 chickens and bagged up the meat to be added to casseroles or frozen chicken stock for soups that teens can easily make.

Planned to make buns for the freezer but haven't gotten around to it - bought $1.29 Winco bread to bridge the gap (the same nice loaves are over $4.00 in Canada)

Sorting through Christmas and stocking gifts that I've already purchased. Making a good list so that husband can fill in the gaps while I'm recovering.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1761 on: November 05, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »
Just ate some roast pork in gravy, a gift from my neighbor.   They travel a lot and routinely empty their fridge in my direction when they go.  I return the favor with fresh bread every now and then.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1762 on: November 05, 2014, 12:42:08 PM »
Did a MASSIVE grocery shop before my upcoming surgery so that the family won't be tempted to order in.

Premade a huge chill, spaghetti sauce and taco meat/rice mixture for easy post surgery meals that the kids can heat up.

Precooked 2 chickens and bagged up the meat to be added to casseroles or frozen chicken stock for soups that teens can easily make.

Planned to make buns for the freezer but haven't gotten around to it - bought $1.29 Winco bread to bridge the gap (the same nice loaves are over $4.00 in Canada)

Sorting through Christmas and stocking gifts that I've already purchased. Making a good list so that husband can fill in the gaps while I'm recovering.

I did this last year before a major surgery.  The funny thing was I bought more pre-made stuff like burritos than I usually do (less thinking for the Hub if the directions are on the package) and  was kind of appalled at the prices.  The Hub, who had just come back from a couple of weeks of travel on the governments dime was dazzled by how cheap it was compared to what he had been paying to eat out.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1763 on: November 05, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »

I did this last year before a major surgery.  The funny thing was I bought more pre-made stuff like burritos than I usually do (less thinking for the Hub if the directions are on the package) and  was kind of appalled at the prices.  The Hub, who had just come back from a couple of weeks of travel on the governments dime was dazzled by how cheap it was compared to what he had been paying to eat out.

I did buy a few pre-made things: cabbage rolls, fish sticks and a bag of oven fries. The prices were indeed appalling!

I have just put 2 more chickens in the roaster and have 10 bananas ready to make into 4 banana breads this afternoon. Even though its a lot of work to make everything ahead of time, I am trying to exercise some bada**ity and get this done! haha! My husband wanted me to buy lots of pre-made meals but I just couldn't do it. I figure I have 2 more days to get as much done as is humanly possible! Then I will be sitting in my rocking chair for 8 weeks, so I will get plenty of rest then! haha!

purplepants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journey - Purplepants' Journey From The 7th Circle of Hell
« Reply #1764 on: November 05, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »

I am thinking about switching to a French Press to make smaller amounts. Left over re-heated coffee makes me sad.

I switched to the French press years ago, mainly to get the big coffee maker off of the counter, and now I would never go back. It just plain makes better coffee, and it is easy to make exactly the right amount. The only other coffee device I use is a single-cup Melitta cone, which I use at work to brew a cup in the a.m.

Someone needs to convince me to buy a French Press.  I'm ashamed to say I pour out about 2 cups of coffee every day because reheated makes me gag (and the big regular coffee maker doesn't make a decent brew for quantities less than 4 cups). 

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #1765 on: November 05, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »

I switched to the French press years ago, mainly to get the big coffee maker off of the counter, and now I would never go back. It just plain makes better coffee, and it is easy to make exactly the right amount. The only other coffee device I use is a single-cup Melitta cone, which I use at work to brew a cup in the a.m.

Someone needs to convince me to buy a French Press.  I'm ashamed to say I pour out about 2 cups of coffee every day because reheated makes me gag (and the big regular coffee maker doesn't make a decent brew for quantities less than 4 cups).

Use the big pot. Do a full brew

[caffeine] AND DRINK MORE COFFEE DAMMIT…. IT WORKS FINE FOR ME…. [/caffeine]

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1766 on: November 05, 2014, 03:59:37 PM »
Didn't leave the house, except for a nice walk with the baby. Trying to take advantage of the warm(ish) weather while it lasts.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1767 on: November 05, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
Writing a shopping list for the next week based around what we already have in the house, and all the meals will be 'stretched' with cheap but healthy ingredients (like shredded carrot, the greatest thing ever).

Needed new work clothes, so I bought dresses on ebay - 1/3 the price of new dresses by this brand, but I know they'll fit well, look great and last the distance, because it's a brand I've tested out pretty thoroughly. So, cheap but great quality, win-win :-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1768 on: November 05, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »

Melitta cone is way cheaper than a French press, but then you still have to buy filters.  It's my favorite coffee ever.  I have a 13 year old cone that I've used almost daily, so I feel I've gotten my $3's worth out of it.  Then I have a bigger one that is designed to brew directly into a thermos, so plenty of tasty, piping-hot coffee.  Personally never cared for French press coffee, though I felt like I "should".

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #1769 on: November 05, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »
I love my French press so much. I have a fancy pants bodum one (double wall stainless) but my 10 dollar version from IKEA works just as well. French press is best for people who like bold coffee flavour and who are willing to buy decent beans. If you like weaker, sweet, milky coffee, it is probably not the best for you.

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1770 on: November 05, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »
Writing a shopping list for the next week based around what we already have in the house, and all the meals will be 'stretched' with cheap but healthy ingredients (like shredded carrot, the greatest thing ever).

Needed new work clothes, so I bought dresses on ebay - 1/3 the price of new dresses by this brand, but I know they'll fit well, look great and last the distance, because it's a brand I've tested out pretty thoroughly. So, cheap but great quality, win-win :-)

My new favourite forum member - I love shredded carrot (or any carrot for that matter)!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1771 on: November 06, 2014, 06:21:18 AM »
I love my French press so much. I have a fancy pants bodum one (double wall stainless) but my 10 dollar version from IKEA works just as well. French press is best for people who like bold coffee flavour and who are willing to buy decent beans. If you like weaker, sweet, milky coffee, it is probably not the best for you.

I like strong coffee without sugar, I just don't like the sludge from the French press.  Seriously, lots of coffee snobs recommend Melitta cones - I worked in a coffee shop in college that made all its coffee by the cup that way, and we had a devoted following of customers.  Nothing wrong with French press if you like it, but it's not the only way to get a good, strong cuppa.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #1772 on: November 06, 2014, 08:43:55 AM »

I like strong coffee without sugar, I just don't like the sludge from the French press.  Seriously, lots of coffee snobs recommend Melitta cones - I worked in a coffee shop in college that made all its coffee by the cup that way, and we had a devoted following of customers.  Nothing wrong with French press if you like it, but it's not the only way to get a good, strong cuppa.

The aeropress is an excellent alternative too (and at $30, not uber crazy expensive). I've had a melitta cone and I agree that they are awesome.  That's what I used when I was a student and I wouldn't hesitate to use one again if I had to, but I've discovered I really like my coffee unfiltered.  I find filtering removes some of the bold flavour (maybe the oils?) so I go for French press, or one of those stove-top italian coffee makers if I want espresso.

As for sludge, I just pour the coffee through a steel strainer (it's not super fine so it just gets the grounds, not all the fine silt).  I've just grown accustomed to not drinking the bottom centimetre of coffee. ;)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1773 on: November 06, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »

Agreed.  ;)  But I hate mornings, was running late, and I didn't set up the coffee and timer the night before.  Besides, I wasn't about to pour out 2 servings, not at today's prices!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1774 on: November 06, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »
Few small successes:

Made my own baking powder out of baking soda and cream of tartar - saved a trip to the store and allowed me to make some healthy crackers using up some of my seed supply.

Last night - Celebrated anniversary at home with some homemade chicken parm and playing some old school, campy computer games on our media PC.

Having a friend over for coffee today instead of going out - better coffee, better atmosphere.

Used some pulp from making nutmilk and turned it into something akin to fudge.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1775 on: November 06, 2014, 02:00:03 PM »
Was invited to Starbucks to have coffee with two girlfriends.  I had already had all the coffee I wanted at home and was drinking tea so I just poured some tea in my travel mug and took it with me.  It worked out well, I held the table for us while they went up to the counter and bought $5.00 coffees.  Had a great chat and nobody noticed or cared where my tea came from.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1776 on: November 06, 2014, 02:45:28 PM »
I really like Mocha Frappicino's from Starbucks but haven't bought one in 2 years. My wife helped me figure out that you need to use instant coffee to try to replicate the recipe. My recipe is below. I never really measure anything. This is all done by eyeballing.

1 to 1 1/2 cups of milk
6-8 cubes of ice
1/2 cup of ice cream (Costco super premium)
chocolate syrup
2 tablespoons of instant coffee

I have a preference for the consistency of ice cubes. Not too thick and not too thin. This can be perfected by adding a little milk or additional ice cubes at the end to get the correct consistency. You need a decent blender to blend the ice cubes.

purplepants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journey - Purplepants' Journey From The 7th Circle of Hell
« Reply #1777 on: November 07, 2014, 06:37:19 AM »
Traveling for work this weekend and early next week.  I wish I got a per diem, but instead I have a company card and expense my meals while I'm on the road.

This is a driving trip, so I've packed my small cooler as well as a bunch of my food storage containers.  I'll make a point of ordering foods that keep well as leftovers and transfer my to-go boxes into sealed containers as soon as I get back to the room.  I can never finish a restaurant meal, so I should have 5-6 meals worth of leftovers when I get home! 

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1778 on: November 07, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
Cut my hair with my Flowbee.  Three more cuts and it will be paid for.  It's a boring half hour but going to the salon would be a boring half day by the time I drove there, got the cut and drove home.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #1779 on: November 07, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »
Bought DD a canvas bag for work from LLBean.
Used Paypal to pay for it.   
All PayPal money if from selling things on ebay that were given to me or I acquired at no cost.

Bringing lunch is something I do just about every work day of the year.
Usually it's hummus with cucumber on pita or wheat tortilla.
Today had leftover rice and vegetables from supper last night.  It was a nice change of pace to have something warm.....just saw the first snowflakes of the year starting to fly out there.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:40:51 AM by mbl »

Alchemilla

• Stubble
« Reply #1780 on: November 07, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »
Is a French press the same as a cafetiere?

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #1781 on: November 07, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »
Needed a pair of running shoes for an upcoming vacation, fixed an old pair with a $7 tube of Show Goo and damn--they look good!  (There was nothing really wrong with them--the rubber along the sides of the soles had just come loose in a few places which would have leaked in sand and water.)

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1782 on: November 07, 2014, 04:45:43 PM »
Spent the afternoon and $1.04 to put some smooth wheel covers on my Civic. Free election signs (thanks to the local Republican party office) and a can of black spray paint.

I don't know if they'll actually help much, but even a 1% increase in mpg will pay that dollar back in about a month.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #1783 on: November 07, 2014, 05:19:58 PM »

According to Wikipedia - Yes.  And Wikipedia is never wrong. 

Firefly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1784 on: November 07, 2014, 07:19:04 PM »
Cloth diapers for my baby yesterday, today and for the next year :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1785 on: November 07, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »
I just did one of those product surveys, and for ONCE, I got selected, so I'll get free body wash and $10 for giving them feedback on it.  Also had a free peppermint mocha from Starbucks for my birthday drink (came out to like $5.73, crazy!) for breakfast, then brought my lunch to avoid going along with the crew to lunch (and got some work done in the meantime).  Lunch had quite a bit of my garden produce in it, so double win there.

Trimmed my horses' feet myself.  This saves me $100 ever six weeks.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #1786 on: November 08, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »

According to Wikipedia - Yes.  And Wikipedia is never wrong.

Ha! :-)

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1787 on: November 08, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »
Had to go for fasting (not even coffee) blood work this morning, and on the way home I was Jonesin' bad for a Tim Horton's coffee and bagel. There is something about Tim Horton's coffee that I just love. Anyway, came home and made my own coffee and bagel, and saved the money. I'm pretty sure everyone IRL would scoff at saving $5.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1788 on: November 08, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »
Assured another neighbor that I would love to have the stuff they clean out of the fridge when they are going away for the winter.  People are a little shy about showing up with an old onion and half a stick of butter so you have to give a lot of positive reinforcement.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1789 on: November 08, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »
Had to go for fasting (not even coffee) blood work this morning, and on the way home I was Jonesin' bad for a Tim Horton's coffee and bagel. There is something about Tim Horton's coffee that I just love. Anyway, came home and made my own coffee and bagel, and saved the money. I'm pretty sure everyone IRL would scoff at saving $5.
Bada$$

We also avoided bagels this morning.  My weakness is Noah's.  Savings ~ $8

I'm going to a friend's house for lunch and tea.  I picked up some macarons and chocolate shortbread cookies from Trader Joe's (about $9) to bring along.  This is a lot less than I usually spend when I hang out with this group.  I'm excited about having a low key afternoon in rather than expensive drinks and dinners out.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1790 on: November 08, 2014, 01:18:23 PM »
Slept in late, so I didn't need to heat the house as long. Plus, sleep is awesome. Sprouted chick peas, got them cooking right now (enough for at least 4 meals). Lahey-style bread dough rising, to bake later. Eating up all the food in the fridge and cupboards instead of going shopping. Listening to pretty good Indian music from the library ("Essential Asian Flavas").

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1791 on: November 08, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »
Frugal foodie shopping trip with my mom:

* Health food store: Bulk spices. $7 for what would have cost at least $15 at the grocery store.

* Restaurant supply: A new tri-ply skillet (needed and budgeted) which appears to be BIFL. $40, instead of the much pricier All-Clad I was ogling.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1792 on: November 08, 2014, 06:05:43 PM »
Split and stacked about two cords of firewood today.  Also saved flower seeds from dead annuals I was ripping out, so won't need to buy seeds or plants in the spring.  Pulled up and saved more gladiola bulbs too, since the don't survive the winters here, and I love having like 100 of them each year.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1793 on: November 08, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »
Rather than buy new furniture, I rearranged what was already there. Feels like a new room.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1794 on: November 09, 2014, 08:10:15 AM »
Haircuts for everybody!

From easiest to hardest:

1. Daughter: Long layers (ponytail)
2. Youngest son: Buzz cut (3 all over).
3. Me: Short layers + bangs (ponytail)
4. Husband: Clipper cut (5 > 3, ear taper)
5. Oldest son: Medium-length scissor cut, longer on top.

At least $100 saved, and we do it monthly.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #1795 on: November 10, 2014, 03:57:48 AM »
This weekend I spraypainted a wooden table (£8 for the paint) and rearranged some furniture and changed cushion covers I haven't used in a while, my living room looks totally different, ready for Christmas :)

I also batch cooked some chicken thighs and portioned them up for Spanish chicken casserole [2 dinners] and pesto chicken with veggies and courgette "spaghetti" [2 lunches].

Went to the library, got 8 new books to read this month.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1796 on: November 10, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »
Replaced buttons on two shirts and one pair of pants.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1797 on: November 10, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »
Made a big batch of tasty lunches for my work week.

When a tray of fudge I'd agreed to make for a work morning tea didn't set, instead of rushing out and buying something to bring I let the morning tea organiser know and her response was "don't worry, we'll have heaps of food!"

Resisting the urge to buy diet cokes ($1 each) or chocolate bars ($2) because of long term health costs as well as immediate loss of money.

Visiting the library on my way home for free entertainment I can keep for three weeks (or even longer if no one else has reserved it!).

Eating leftovers for dinner tonight.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #1798 on: November 10, 2014, 06:48:03 PM »
Haircuts for everybody!

From easiest to hardest:

1. Daughter: Long layers (ponytail)
2. Youngest son: Buzz cut (3 all over).
3. Me: Short layers + bangs (ponytail)
4. Husband: Clipper cut (5 > 3, ear taper)
5. Oldest son: Medium-length scissor cut, longer on top.

At least $100 saved, and we do it monthly.

Same here.  DH and DS1 have the same type of hair, so I can do the same cut on both.  DS2 has finer hair, but graduated clipper guards (2 on bottom, work up to a 4 on top) and he is done.  They get cut every 3-4 weeks so we also save at least $30/month, not counting the time to set up the appointment and drive there.

You get bonus kudos for cutting your own and your daughter's.  Any mistake I make on the boys grows out in 1-2 weeks. 

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1799 on: November 11, 2014, 06:20:23 AM »
You get bonus kudos for cutting your own and your daughter's.  Any mistake I make on the boys grows out in 1-2 weeks. 

I was amazed to find out how easy it is to do this layered cut. Easy peasy.

Yesterday I found some needed items at the Goodwill: twin comforter for my son (just moved to New England and are still getting warm gear), good salad spinner, heavy mixing bowl.