Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2192856 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1350 on: August 28, 2014, 09:27:33 PM »
Held off on calling the vet yesterday when the stable manager texted me a photo of my horse's bloody legs while I was out of town for work.  Turned out to not be as bad as it initially looked when I was able to inspect the photo more closely, and I've been able to do all the doctoring myself.

Managed to throw a chicken in the crockpot during an unexpected mid-day hour at home between meetings even though it was a busy enough day that it would have been easy to justify fast food.  Bonus is that it provided me a lunch to take to work tomorrow too.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1351 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »
Needed cash from an out-of-state bank account.  Learned steps to get ATM fee reimbursements and implemented.

Have been wanting to do some drinking but kept putting off because I didn't want to buy a six-back.  Friend scored me a bottle of champagne today.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1352 on: August 29, 2014, 12:13:07 AM »
- We are in the process of changing to a new bank account so I was worried that any new purchases would cause a problem so we haven't bought anything for a few days. I need to buy bread, washing powder etc... today but I have only £10 in cash so hope to have change leftover.

- Not so small but I have drawn up a new grocery/household budget and I have slashed it by half! It might be hard but I am just going to do it until the end of 2014 and then see how it went.:)

DSA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1353 on: August 29, 2014, 06:52:02 AM »
One of my regular go-to breakfasts for years has been shredded wheat with milk and Craisins. It's been pretty good, but I've been displeased at the calorie count (130 calories per serving) and the sugar content (26g of sugar). It's not terribly expensive ($7 for a 48-oz bag at Sam's Club) but it is still a nonzero cost.

My supplies of Craisins ran out last week and today I just had the shredded wheat and milk with a couple shakes of cinnamon (not cinnamon sugar). It's great stuff and I really appreciate the less-sweet flavor.

This means I don't need to buy Craisins again -- I think a good thing to do with recurring purchases like groceries is to force yourself out of the habit of restocking just because it's what you've always bought.

RichLife

« Reply #1354 on: August 29, 2014, 06:59:45 AM »
Bought yoghurt in a big pack rather than individually portioned containers as I don't need to go into work the coming week and thus don't need the convenience. Costs less and has less packaging. Future plan is to get a reusable container which I can take with me so I can keep doing this.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1355 on: August 29, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »
Cut my Cell bill (Verizon, 2 iPhone family plan) down to 1GB/month which will save us ~$15 overall (bill reduction + fees + taxes). If the data diet works, SO and I may be able to cut it down to 500MB/month which is another ~$15 savings. I would hop on another plan, but we've both got the 4s, which is in limbo until February for unlocking. Contract would be over in a year.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1356 on: August 29, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »
Will shortly leave the computer and make fancy omelets for our starting vacation breakfast.  A robust breakfast will prevent our needing to eat out 2 hours after we leave home.  We do plan to stop at our favorite filipino bakery for a banana fritter but this way we can split one.  We will, of course, take a thermos of coffee to drink with it.

You can expect a full description of our hike to the Burgess Shale in the Badassity section.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #1357 on: August 29, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »
"Saving 'til it hurts"

Increased my 403b contribution from $800/month to $1450/month.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1358 on: August 29, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »
"Saving 'til it hurts"

Now that is badass!

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #1359 on: August 29, 2014, 02:02:02 PM »
FINALLY switched to a 1.5% back on all purchases CC. We no longer need the miles for flying so this will be a better fit for us. Got the $100 bonus right away and setup the auto pay to our account.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1360 on: August 29, 2014, 02:22:43 PM »
"Saving 'til it hurts"

Sweet! Good for you and congratulations.  I suspect that this actually "hurts so good!"

Angie55

« Reply #1361 on: August 29, 2014, 02:45:52 PM »
Finally ordered a new replacement HDTV antenna hopefully in time for football season. Used Amex Offer for $20 Statement Credit if you spend $20 on Amazon.

I've been paying for cable for the past 6+ months and haven't even plugged in the cable box.... Apparently it was easier to just throw away a few hundred dollars to Comcast. Removing this and switching to lower internet to get my bill from 85 -> $35. Its been on my to do list ever since they raised our rates months ago.

CentimentalFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #1362 on: August 30, 2014, 04:23:18 AM »
making blankets for each family member for xmas. Totally Centimental! Keeps them warm at a low cost and presents are taken care of.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1363 on: August 30, 2014, 04:31:26 AM »
- Eating at home all day. Homemade bean soup for lunch and lentil burgers, veggie hot dogs, potato wedges and salad for dinner.

- Using stuff at home as a "spa day", face mask, a hair treatment (free sample) covered with a free shower cap I got from a hotel an few years ago.:) I'm doing my nails too.

UnleashHell

• Magnum Stache
  • climbing out of a dark hole
« Reply #1364 on: August 30, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »
I've plunged feet first into this by spending $400 in the last 24 hours!!!!

did the weekly shop. Except made it a two week shop and picked up some staples that will last way longer (enough coffee filters for a year!!).
that was 300 - for a family of four... I'm budgeting $200  a week to start with so its looking good so far. (do need a bit more protein - forgot the chicken but as we don't need it for a week my wife can get it - her work is across the street).

Best bit was that the 300 also included 30 on CFL bulbs and 30 on wine!! Gotta have the wine budget....(its not actually part of our food budget but I'm not telling the wife that - we'll bury it and use the money for something useful).

the other hundred... Got a Diamondback mountain bike from craigslist last night. running well but i'll have to dig into my distant past and see if I can remember how to service one of these things - and if I still have all my tools!

oh and as the wife is working tonight I've let the kids know that as a treat they can have ramen!! they are very happy with that as a treat!! 30c a pack ....

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
« Reply #1365 on: August 30, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »
"Saving 'til it hurts"

Now that is badass!

+1!!

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #1366 on: August 30, 2014, 03:17:35 PM »
Just turned 26, which resulted in me getting kicked off my parents insurance (was nice while it lasted).

My employer then immediately put me on theirs. I don't have to pay any portion of the premium which is amazing (they then just don't offer vision or dental).

Went to the pharmacy to refill my baby avoidance pills with my new insurance. Use to pay $5/mo. Now I pay zero. Not that it was breaking my bank before, but still saves me some money :).

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1367 on: August 30, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
Finally registered for online access to the 403b from my first job (circa 1985). Went on today, trying to figure out what adjustments I could do and found my equities were all in an account with a 0.46% ER!  Found another option with 0.05% ER and submitted the order to move the funds!

35% of the account is in bonds - looks like I can't touch this. Likely need to call for more info. If need be, I can roll this account into an IRA. But I need more info first.

Oh! And I set up auto-invest for my HSA (I think.... )

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #1368 on: August 30, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »
Declined to go on a short out-of-town trip with a friend.  Not much to see where she was going anyway, but she wanted to get outta dodge for a while.  I knew if I went, we'd likely hit up a coffee shop + get dinner somewhere.  Not breaking the bank, but considering I'm already over budget food-wise for the month, not the best idea.  Decided instead to use money that's been on my Starbucks card since last month to get a pumpkin spice latte (I know, I know), curl up with some brand spankin' new books from the library, and stay in town and eat leftovers from last night.  Spent a total of $0.63 today! :)
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” -Ernest Hemingway

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1369 on: August 30, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »
Bought a 16 piece dinnerware set (porcelain) for $18. The plastic dinnerware set was a health hazard given propensity for microwaving oatmeal/leftovers. The original price on the set was $50. Khol's cash for $30, $10 discount, ebates will drop it from $18 to $16... And paid on a rewards card.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1370 on: August 30, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »
Hubby just made a popcorn snack with cheap popping corn on the stove. Yum!

I've got black-eyed beans cooking on the stove so I can make a stew later today. The stew will be enough for 2x dinners and about 6 lunches for the freezer (to take to work).

Appletree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1371 on: August 31, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »
I fixed DW's car's front break. It was jammed and needed some cylinder sanding and new rubbers. Break works now like a new. YouTube is teaching me how to be mechanic :)

I saved some money but spend it to air compressor and finishing nailer. But at least those are paying themselves.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1372 on: August 31, 2014, 12:53:54 PM »
Had researched and printed out a list of handyman ads to get my guest shower valve fixed.  Decided to look at it myself and found that after I got into the wall and fiddled with it, it loosed up and is now working.  It will probably need replacing sometime, but not this week!

Appletree: Good job on fixing your own brakes!

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #1373 on: August 31, 2014, 08:19:29 PM »
sold some stuff on CL and that money will be used to buy food for the week

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1374 on: August 31, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »
A buy nothing day! Love those days ... Should work harder to string a few of those together!

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1375 on: August 31, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »
Picked 15 pounds of grapes from my backyard, juiced them and canned the juice. Then canned a bunch of chicken stock I made from a couple chicken carcasses I had in the freezer. I save them until I have enough to make enough stock to be worth canning. So...about 12 quart jars of food that was, essentially, free. :)

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1376 on: August 31, 2014, 09:51:39 PM »
Paid attention while getting dog food at the pet store, noticed a 50% off sticker and later reminded the cashier when he missed it: 10 euros saved.

Finally took some scissors and plastic bag with me on the dog walk and came home with all kinds of berries and rosebuds for confiture and liqueur etc.

Made two homemade birthday cards instead of rushing to the store to buy them. Saved around 5 euros.
Hung my clothes out to line dry, regardless of very iffy weather (aka typically Dutch weather). They got some rain while hanging, but are at last dried now without any dryer cost or adding further moist to the air inside the house.
Yay, out of debt... now, GROW!
My '16/'17 journal

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #1377 on: September 01, 2014, 12:51:47 AM »
Resigned from church (paid as a tax from salary here every month if you're a member): $70 month
Resigned from gym membership and started working out outdoors instead: $65 month

$16.200 in savings in the next 10 years. Nice.

Kansaslover5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1378 on: September 01, 2014, 03:33:40 AM »
Joined Republic Wireless on the $10/month plan and bought a RW Moto X refurbished for $199. Total cost of cell phone use for the next 12 months (including phone purchase) about $320.

TKE Super Dave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1379 on: September 01, 2014, 05:46:48 PM »
Friday and Saturday I moved apartments. The new apartment is about $130 cheaper than what I was paying for rent and about $160 less than what they were attempting to raise my rent too. I also don't only have to pay electric and internet/cable here, where as at my old apartment I had to pay water/sewage and gas. Even if my electric doubles, which it may as heat and water heater are on electric and I live in the north east of the US, that's still an additional 30-50 a month savings on utilities. Top of that when I moved I was able to switch internet providers and went from $60 for cable and internet to $30 for just internet.  All in all I will save about $190-$220 a month depending on how much my electric is.
Check out my progress towards FI here: Super Dave's Kryptonite

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1380 on: September 02, 2014, 03:24:25 AM »
I'm about to order some olnine groceries at our new reduced budget. I will be looking for any good offers. :)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1381 on: September 02, 2014, 04:24:01 AM »
1) Bought 2 LEDs to replace 2 of the 3 halogens in the kitchen. Did the maths just now to work out that the payback period (based solely on electricity costs) is less than 18 months. LEDs are likely to last well past 18 months, so whooo! Pretty happy with that, plus it will be cooler in summer. 64W from the lights instead of 150W.

2) Bought cat food on special. The pet store we buy our cat food from is one of the few places with significant savings if you sign up to be a member. We frequently get 20 to 30% off the standard price of the quality cat food we buy (vs buying from our vet or another pet store). We just have to remember to stock up enough to get through to the next sale.

Stephen.magill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1382 on: September 02, 2014, 08:47:32 AM »
Last night we made dinner from scratch: fish pie. The most expensive item was the fish itself. 3 fillets of smoked Mackarel which we bought from the clearance aisle, froze, then defrosted yesterday morning :-)

I also bought my lunches for the week at the supermarket: rolls and deli spread. About £5 in total compared to £20 I spent buying my lunches last week from Subway and local cafés.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1383 on: September 02, 2014, 06:23:41 PM »
I accidentally washed my son's $150 Karate Gi (the white suit) in hot water with a red shirt! Now he has a pink Gi. Not cool for a 16 year old boy!  I've rewashed  it with some bleach and oxi clean but it is still pinkish.

Today, in a last ditch attempt to save myself $150 on a new one, I put 2 cups of straight bleach in a bucket of hot water and plunged in the Gi.  I left it for 10 minutes, checked on it,  stirred it around then left it for another 10 minutes. Success!  It's now hanging out to dry.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1384 on: September 07, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
Got my bread rising as I write
Yesterday coming back from vacation, I insisted we stop at an Indian grocery store where I picked up two kilos of tea and 20 lb. roti flour.  Then I insisted that we stop at an excellent salvage store where I bought 14 l6oz jars of natural peanut butter for 99 cents each and some other items of similar low prices.  Both these stores are far enough from where we live that I seldom get there so I wasn't going to let the fact that we were technically on vacation prevent me.  Also found a cool flashlight for the Hub to use as his gift at the annual work Xmas party.

Got several recycled soda and juice containers drying out to carry water for our next camping trip. 

Currently laundering the long underwear we found for the Hub at a thrift store in Canada.  Really enjoyed telling the Customs guy "Used underwear.", when he said, "Did you buy anything in Canada?"

isbjshaffer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Paying down 40k in Student Loans by 9/1/15!
    • Church of Acts
« Reply #1385 on: September 07, 2014, 03:01:24 PM »
Saw my favorite brand of tea on sale at Big Lots, bought every box! Ate leftovers for lunch and dinner. Still trying to sell my car for a "downgrade." Drank cheap-o coffee. Bought an exercise bike for the house so I can cancel Gym Membership. Wrote a new blog post about lots of little ways to save money (by spending it)! It's basically a compilation of everything MMM suggests! Check it out in my Signature!
My new blog is inspired by MMM! I would appreciate your support! http://www.churchofactsblog.blogspot.com/

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1386 on: September 07, 2014, 04:37:12 PM »
Bought lunch out at Walmart and brought it home. Buns and deli meat after church was cheaper than a restaurant. Not as cheap as pancakes at home but I was super tired and it's really hot out. Haha. Complainypants, I know! Face punching self!

Husband hung out a load of laundry! score!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1387 on: September 07, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
We both stayed on the mountain all day. My husband replace the pressure regulator on the main water line into the house because it has sprung enough of a leak I noticed a $10 increase in our water bill.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #1388 on: September 07, 2014, 10:29:33 PM »
I've been interstate for the last two weeks for work. We paid for my husband, who was in between contracts, to come with me for the whole stay-- his flight will be paid for by the extra pay I expect from working the weekend. I asked for an apartment with a full kitchen instead of a hotel, and we mostly cooked and ate in, instead of eating out. We did a bike tour instead of an expensive tour bus, and went to the mountains instead of to the casino. We had picnics at parks. We used the serviced apartment building's free spa, sauna, and pool instead of paying for a gym/massages. After I get paid my per diem for expenses, we'll actually come out $1.50 ahead-- and that's after having a lovely mini-holiday which we didn't count on! That doesn't even include the money we will have saved on our utilities this month!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1389 on: September 08, 2014, 07:16:06 AM »
I've been having some pretty painful back spasms over the last few days, and on Friday I gave in and had the kids buy lunch instead of struggling to stand at the counter and make it. Today, I powered through it and made them a quick lunch that is healthier and cheaper than what they would have bought at school. I'm now rewarding myself by going back to bed and having a no-spend day.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1390 on: September 08, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »
Well, this was yesterday's but anyway...

My husband and I started painting our home which we rent from my parents.  They (as landlords) bought the paint for us and we got to work.  I guess the 'savings' are practicing a useful skill. 

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1391 on: September 08, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Repaired two track shoes and one hiking boot with Shoe Goo.  I am pleased to note that none of them were purchased new in the first place.  The track shoes came from Goodwill.  Barely used, they must have clashed with the previous owners new exercise socks or something.  The hiking boots came from the REI garage sale.  So we are buying used, wearing until they need repair, repairing and continuing to use. 

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #1392 on: September 08, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »
Yesterday:  Using up what is in the pantry and fridge including 1/2 cup ground up flax seed which I made into sandwich buns.

Today:  Froze leftover spaghetti sauce for future use.  Used a coupon for a free asthma inhaler.  Entered a WW receipt into their Savings Catcher system and will know savings results in a few days.  After work I'll purchase fuel using my grocery store's value card for 50 cents off a gallon, and the zucchini served with tonight's supper was free from our garden.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:22:19 PM by MountainGal »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1393 on: September 08, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »
Made pancakes for lunch for a bunch of kids -  homemade mix from sixfiguresunder.com is FANTASTIC! I've been searching for an excellent mix for many years now.  Keeping it in a large pickle jar from Costco (the huge jar). Wrote the instructions on the outside in permanent felt so that anyone can make up a batch, large or small. It's so easy! 1 cup of mix, 1 cup of milk, 1 egg. 

Ran a/c for 2 hours overnight to bring the temp down in the house. Tooooooo hot! But at least I only ran it for 2 hours!

Cooking a chicken in the roaster. Bought 50 from organic farmer. Trying to use 1 per week but sometimes forget they are in the basement freezer. Will make broth from the bones in the crockpot tomorrow and will freeze the stock for soup days in the fall. Did this last year and was so glad for that frozen stock.  I could get soup from freezer to table in 1 hour.

One load of laundry washed and on the line.

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1394 on: September 08, 2014, 02:27:57 PM »
Repaired two track shoes and one hiking boot with Shoe Goo.  I am pleased to note that none of them were purchased new in the first place.  The track shoes came from Goodwill.  Barely used, they must have clashed with the previous owners new exercise socks or something.  The hiking boots came from the REI garage sale.  So we are buying used, wearing until they need repair, repairing and continuing to use.

Shoe Goo is an incredible money saving tool. I've gone through many a tube. Nice job!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1395 on: September 08, 2014, 03:41:28 PM »
Interstate trip. Stopped at rest stop on I-80. Bottles of water in vending machine: $1.50. Drinking fountain across from vending machine: Free.  I drank a big drink of water out of the drinking fountain. Score!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1396 on: September 08, 2014, 10:04:11 PM »
I just ordered a whole bunch of books from the library, on various money-related or simple living themes. Just like buying from Amazon except it's free! The library sends me a text each time one of my requests becomes available and then I just walk to the library on a Saturday morning to collect.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1397 on: September 09, 2014, 03:52:00 AM »
It's a no spend day and all eating at home, leftovers/storecupboard/fresh fruit and veg.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1398 on: September 09, 2014, 05:13:34 AM »
Started riding my bike to work. Savings: $1,250/year. Or so.

shellyrr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1399 on: September 09, 2014, 07:10:43 AM »
My kids are brown bagging it fancy pants style this year.  Bought some cute containers to make frozen yogurt with fresh fruit as their "gogurt" a sandwhich keeper and a thermos for soup and one for drinks.  Found out all kindergartners are on a special program this year for free milk-- score for my 5 year old.  Work had some leftover corn on the cob for community day-- making some corn chowder for fancy pants kids lunch tonight.