Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8067942 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #15700 on: February 24, 2023, 04:58:07 PM »
-Used a $20 grocery store reward to drop the cost a bit for a shop
-Noticed that the store had clearanced out ice cream bars, which had both an iBotta & Fetch offer. That dropped the price to under $.25 for boxes of six "fancy" ice cream bars. I have two teens at home, so they will be welcomed, particularly with club soccer & school tennis picking up again next week.
-Used a $4 CVS coupon code before it expired, picking up a small item to go with a birthday card.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15701 on: February 24, 2023, 08:18:05 PM »
@Dollar Slice I've noticed that about stores in my area, too. They open later and close earlier. I figured it is staffing.

@MaybeBabyMustache What a find!! I love it when Ibotta, Fetch, and sales pile up, especially for treats I can't normally justify in the budget.

Today I switched a short-term goal savings account to a 5% CD at Capital One. I won't need it for a least a year and they had an 11-month CD. Then a friend sent me a referral link for a 4.75% savings account so I'll switch an account I use regularly over to that account.

Meant to buy breakfast at work as a special treat but a co-worker brought muesli cookies so I had those instead.

Made it to the end of the week without buying groceries!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15702 on: February 24, 2023, 10:11:00 PM »
Saved about $100 on 6 month auto insurance policy with a quick phone call, some guts and persistence:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/bartered-with-auto-insurance-company-and-got-monthly-rate-down-to-$23-from-$33/

Recently switched to black tea from coffee and saving approximately $662 per year doing this:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/frugal-tip-black-tea-vs-coffee/

So far $882 or so saved this year between the two things above.  Amounts to 4.4% of my average annual savings.

Also doing a challenge to try and reduce monthly grocery expenses from $588 to $400 per month.  This will result in much needed weight loss as well.  So a double bonus.  $188 * 12 = $2256 in savings this year if I pull it off -- about 10% of my annual savings. So far so good.. at $399 this month and don't plan to hit the grocery store until the first.  I always counted calories when dieting but it looks like I can probably just count the dollars instead to lose weight :)

Got a nice "night stand" from facebook marketplace for $35 today; it looks new.  But I am using it for a laser printer stand in the living room instead. I think it looks more like a printer stand than a night stand to be honest, it's perfect for it.  It's solid wood, and nice dark color matching the rest of the furniture here in the living room. There was a ding on it which exposed very light wood but I easily filled that in with black sharpie and now it's invisible.  The drawer is big and holds 2 reams of paper along with a spare toner/drum cartridge.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 10:24:30 PM by JenniferW »

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15703 on: February 25, 2023, 06:39:27 AM »
@JenniferW , you are really crushing it!! Great job with the car insurance and the grocery bills!!

Newday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15704 on: February 25, 2023, 01:30:05 PM »
We changed our internet provider to start mid-next month and got a great deal for 2 yr contract plus a $50 gift card. It would cut our monthly internet expenses by half. It was serendipity that the salesperson knocked on our door last week, and my husband remembered that our contract with current  provider expires next month (which will lead to even higher charges).. New provider is supposed to have better internet connection than current (big promise, low delivery!)

On the other hand, we forgot to use our 3 month free Apple tv offer that came with iPad purchase last yr. We tried to enable it today when we realized we missed it by a few days! (Face to palm moment!) We don't watch much TV so we never bothered with it. It's alright, not a loss by any means. :)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15705 on: February 25, 2023, 02:11:19 PM »
We changed our internet provider to start mid-next month and got a great deal for 2 yr contract plus a $50 gift card. It would cut our monthly internet expenses by half. It was serendipity that the salesperson knocked on our door last week, and my husband remembered that our contract with current  provider expires next month (which will lead to even higher charges).. New provider is supposed to have better internet connection than current (big promise, low delivery!)

On the other hand, we forgot to use our 3 month free Apple tv offer that came with iPad purchase last yr. We tried to enable it today when we realized we missed it by a few days! (Face to palm moment!) We don't watch much TV so we never bothered with it. It's alright, not a loss by any means. :)

Awesome!

Btw, you can still get free 3 months of Apple TV+ when you are ready, from Best Buy (link below).  I am going to wait until Jun 1, by that time 3rd season of Ted Lasso will be finished .. I'll binge that the first week and then have 2.75 months left for whatever :)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/free-apple-tv-for-3-months-new-or-returning-subscribers-only/6484512.p?skuId=6484512

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15706 on: February 27, 2023, 10:13:02 AM »
We dug out the remnants of lip balm in several dispensers, carefully melted it, and poured the mixture into a new container.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15707 on: February 27, 2023, 04:32:42 PM »
I belong to a gym that has a monthly charge, but also has class sign ups. If you sign up for a class & then cancel within 8 hours, you get charged. I didn't sleep at all last night, and thought a lot about laying in bed. I knew i realistically wasn't going to sleep longer, so forced myself out of bed just in time to hit the 7:20 class as planned. Saved myself the charge fee.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15708 on: February 27, 2023, 06:53:11 PM »
Ran errands during lunch today and planned to get a small ice cream as a fun treat. The two places on my route that sell ice cream both had very long lines so I skipped spending money and ate ice cream out of the freezer at home after work.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15709 on: February 28, 2023, 08:50:50 AM »
Had a very small load of washing finish up (from cleaning up after a doggo). I was going to throw it in the dryer, but I saw that our drying rack was empty. As I don't plan on any other laundry until the weekend, I put the towels I had there to dry.

If it weren't for this forum, I would've thought NOTHING of running a drying load for three towels!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15710 on: February 28, 2023, 09:42:39 AM »
Switched to cheap powder dishwashing detergent from Finish pods.  6.4 cents per load vs 19.4 cents per load.  Over course of one year it amounts to a $48 savings.  Over 15 years at 6% annualized return, that amounts to $1100.

The dishes came out as clean without the annoying perfume smell the Finish gives the machine; I don't care for the smell anyways -- makes me wonder if I am eating perfume residue.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:45:12 AM by JenniferW »

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15711 on: February 28, 2023, 01:20:43 PM »
@JenniferW, if you are interested, you can MAKE your detergent for even less than this.  4 ingredients: Borax, Washing Soda, Salt and Citric acid.
I think I actually do a 2:2:1:1 ratio, but this is a good article to get you started.

https://www.thespruce.com/dishwasher-detergent-recipes-1387928

I actually make my own laundry detergent too.

I have sourced ingredients at groceries (Lidl carries Borax on a really good sale frequently), Amazon and big box retailers like Walmart and my cost is much lower than *any* premade AND I get to control the ingredients and keep it perfume free.

Hope this is helpful!!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15712 on: March 01, 2023, 03:46:55 PM »
I think I successfully got my Fetch app to scan my email forereceipts after it didn’t work correctly for awhile,.

I came directly home to await a grocery delivery after which I will bake myself some cookie dough and pet cats. 

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #15713 on: March 02, 2023, 01:37:18 AM »
I fixed a dead wall outlet by tracing the issue to a junction box wire nut connection. Works now.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15714 on: March 02, 2023, 07:35:58 AM »
I'm new to CVS, but there is one in the parking lot where I pick up one of my teens from school. They keep sending me bonus money. Yesterday, I picked up two family sized bags of popcorn, and two boxes of tea for under $2. I then earned another $2 in rewards.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15715 on: March 05, 2023, 10:23:27 PM »
Cut my own hair. I spent $10 on a new pair of hair cutting scissors, but they've already more than paid for themselves from a single haircut, and will hopefully last through many more haircuts.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15716 on: March 06, 2023, 06:52:01 AM »
After frying a couple beef hamburgers in stainless steel frying pan, I was left with quite a bit of fond.  I drained the fat off then deglazed the pan with some water, releasing all the flavorful fond.  I worked every bit of the fond off then strained the juice into a mason jar, for use later in a soup.

It's so flavorful and beefy.  I previously used a full heaping tbsp of Better than Bouillion Beef Base for our soup meal (usually a quick Pho without noodles).  Now I cut that in half and supplement with fond juice.  It tastes even better and reduces the cost of the beef base by quite a bit.  These jars cost $4.65 a piece -- with sales tax on food here in Oklahoma -- and last about a month.  So that yearly expense is normally 12 x $4.65 = $56 per year.  But if I am now cutting that in HALF I am saving $28 per year.  $28 saved per year for a better tasting soup base.  Not bad :)   I'll put that $28 per year in VTI instead :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 06:55:41 AM by JenniferW »

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15717 on: March 06, 2023, 08:57:43 AM »
@JenniferW, as you seem to be very interested in dropping costs, there is dry powder bouillion for both beef and chicken available. Knorr brand is sold at Walmart.  It is shelf stable for many years. Certainly using your own drippings is definitely a great way to reduce waste, but wanted to let you know of this option.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15718 on: March 06, 2023, 11:47:48 AM »
@JenniferW, as you seem to be very interested in dropping costs, there is dry powder bouillion for both beef and chicken available. Knorr brand is sold at Walmart.  It is shelf stable for many years. Certainly using your own drippings is definitely a great way to reduce waste, but wanted to let you know of this option.

Yeah, I saw that a couple weeks ago and have been considering buying it to try it out. Thank you for telling me about it. I will buy some.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15719 on: March 07, 2023, 12:03:25 AM »
Switched from liquid stevia to powder stevia extract.  Saving $268 per year with the switch.

More about it here:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/frugal-tip-black-tea-vs-coffee/msg3121896/#msg3121896

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15720 on: March 07, 2023, 09:50:47 PM »
For any folks still working on their taxes- FreeTaxUSA covers all federal forms and state returns are $15. And I like their interface more than “Supercharged”Tax. Saved myself a good chunk by switching tax software this year.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15721 on: March 08, 2023, 07:35:13 AM »
UGH.  Did my "supercharged" taxes yesterday....wish I'd known.  They advertise free federal filing and one free state.  Then they charged me an additional 25 dollars to efile my state.  BOOOOOOO!!!!!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15722 on: March 08, 2023, 12:52:47 PM »
Roommate got qualified for ACP (affordable connectivity program).  Cancelled my Internet service today.  His will be setup tomorrow.  We are on tribal lands and so he's getting 500 mpbs fiber service for free.   Saving us $55.31 per month (which we split).

Note: if you have anyone that lives with you and not part of the household (i.e. filing taxes separately, not claimed as dependent, etc.) and they make less than $29k or so, they can get at least $30 off Internet per month -- $75 off in Tribal Lands.

I didn't know the exact definition of household (ignorance on my part) and we should have taken advantage of this a year ago.. So down $660 unnecessarily.

EDIT: he's also getting a $150 sign up bonus from the internet provider.  (Rewards VISA card.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 12:57:12 PM by JenniferW »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15723 on: March 08, 2023, 08:58:48 PM »
Filled out (optional) tax returns for my 17 y.o. He worked over the summer, so if you're willing to file the paperwork, you can get your tax withholding back. He got a whopping $25 from the state, and $75 from the IRS. Put it in his college account.

Picked up free avocados from a neighbor who has a large tree.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15724 on: March 09, 2023, 10:37:55 AM »
Filled out (optional) tax returns for my 17 y.o. He worked over the summer, so if you're willing to file the paperwork, you can get your tax withholding back. He got a whopping $25 from the state, and $75 from the IRS. Put it in his college account.

He's also now eligible to contribute to a Roth if he (or you) are so inclined.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #15725 on: March 09, 2023, 10:56:33 AM »
DW, Offspring #2, and I are demolishing our kitchen for remodel rather than paying someone. Tearing up the tile floor and cement board has been a challenge b/c SO MANY NAILS. Seriously - someone must have been paid by the nail once upon a time. ;)

There are nifty tools for this task specifically but they are $125+. Air tools and special floor scrappers.

We finally hit upon using a shovel we already owned in addition to a small pry bar we already owned and other little tools we already owned to get the floor up efficiently.

Not fun work though. Another big push tonight and we might have the kitchen floor cleared. Utility room after that.

The old cabinets - which are in good shape - will be repurposed for basement storage and utility room storage.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #15726 on: March 09, 2023, 03:36:52 PM »
DW, Offspring #2, and I are demolishing our kitchen for remodel rather than paying someone. Tearing up the tile floor and cement board has been a challenge b/c SO MANY NAILS. Seriously - someone must have been paid by the nail once upon a time. ;)

There are nifty tools for this task specifically but they are $125+. Air tools and special floor scrappers.

We finally hit upon using a shovel we already owned in addition to a small pry bar we already owned and other little tools we already owned to get the floor up efficiently.

Not fun work though. Another big push tonight and we might have the kitchen floor cleared. Utility room after that.

The old cabinets - which are in good shape - will be repurposed for basement storage and utility room storage.

I'm generally the opposite of handy, but demolishing? that I can do.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15727 on: March 09, 2023, 03:37:24 PM »
Picked up avocados from a neighbor, who has a tree & was giving away extra.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #15728 on: March 09, 2023, 07:02:08 PM »
Grocery store was offering a "Spend 119 RMB, get 50 RMB off" coupon on select items. Spending 119 RMB also qualified my order for a 50% off coupon on another frequently used item. So I stacked coupons and ended up paying 84 RMB on a 154 RMB order.

Placing an order gave me a "spend 99 RMB get 30 RMB off" coupon, which then gave me a free item. So I used that coupon as well to purchase a few additional items and paid 75 RMB on a 123 RMB order.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15729 on: March 09, 2023, 07:22:33 PM »
Was fantasizing about parmesan truffle fries (two opportunities to go get them) -- managed to get myself home and find a recipe for spicy noodles & green beans since I need to eat both of these up..

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15730 on: March 11, 2023, 08:46:06 AM »
1) Although we do try to conserve electricity, we use a lot due to a 2 EV household and a 60 mile round trip daily commute.  So I've been shopping electric rates.  Recently lowered our rate from 14.6 cents to 11.8.  Then found a 10.2 rate!

Today I found a 7.5 cent rate and switched again.  The 10.2 rate saved me $53 on this months bill.

The 7.5 rate will save me another $34, almost $90/month vs my regular utilities rate.  It's a 4 month fixed rate so $360 savings and should carry me until my solar gets installed.

Couple of mouse clicks, maybe 5 minutes time. :)

2) We drastically overpaid real estate taxes on our new construction home both at closing, and monthly since last June when we bought the house.  Initial tax estimate used purchase price for tax assessment since no assessment is done prior to purchase.  Now that the tax assessment has been done, I wised up and cancelled escrow.  Got an escrow refund that is probably $4,000+ more than our yearly taxes.  Will all go into MMF @ 4.35% until taxes are paid.  Mortgage payment is much lower and I will direct the lower, correct amount of taxes into a MMF monthly to pay the property tax.

Haven't calculated the exact savings on #2 but combined savings of above is probably >$500.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:47:52 AM by UltraStache »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15731 on: March 11, 2023, 09:44:25 AM »
You're killing it, @UltraStache!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15732 on: March 11, 2023, 02:34:59 PM »
Congrats Ultrastache!

Here's how a brown sharpie pen has saved us quite a bit of money recently:

We have needed a new dining set for a while.  And I know I've always wanted to go with a dark mahogany shaker style square table -- medium sized to small.  Have been wanting to set it up the dining room like a bistro or small fancy restaurant -- since we don't go out for meals often. 

So I picked up a 34" square dark mahogany shaker style table for $25 off facebook marketplace.  The legs were too long so we cut 6" or so off the bottom to make it a standard height table -- turned out great.  The table top also had several tiny dings in it to where the blonde wood was showing through, along with a few scratches.  I filled all those dings and scratches in with brown sharpie pen, rubbed off excess, and now you can't see the dings at all :) Good as new :)  Photo below.

We'll be getting some commercial grade dark mahogany wooden chairs for the table as soon as we find the right deal on facebook marketplace. These chairs normally sell for $150-200 a piece new, but we often see them used for $25. They will most likely also have some dings on them, but nothing a dark brown sharpie pen can't fix!   (It's amazing how much stronger commercial chairs are -- we will never go back to residential grade; these chairs should last us the rest of our lives.)

My mom gave me the lamp a few years ago and I haven't ever really used it, but it turns out it's quite nice on the table.  We might change the accent wall's color from burnt orange to a different color later.. but for  now we are liking it.  For some reason the orange looks much more vibrant in the photo than it does in person. It's more flat and burnt looking in person.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 02:54:56 PM by JenniferW »

catbend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15733 on: March 13, 2023, 09:12:16 PM »
two things: 1) Husband and I took a gamble on a 50lb box of powdered detergent (at 6 cents per oz vs 13 cents per oz). We bought this from amazon. It was delivered last week and we did one load of laundry and it seems fine. More testing is definitely needed.  Still I'm saving in a lot of ways (1)greener: no plastic jugs, no shipping of the liquid, (2) one less heavy/bulky thing to buy at the grocery store, (3) we're set for life (okay maybe a year or two) and I don't have to think about whether or not we need detergent every few weeks.  240 loads in a box (we might get more).  Okay I just did the actual math on this and I get 19 cents a load for Tough Guy 50 lb box and 20 cents a load for a jug of tide.  Hmm... needs more investigation. 

https://www.zoro.com/tough-guy-tough-guy-50-lb-box-citrus-powder-laundry-detergent-2cxx5/i/G0662103/#specifications

Okay second thing we switched from buying 10.5 oz bags of Pete's coffee from Safeway (i know I know).
To buying Amazon Fresh whole bean Columbia coffee 32 oz bag.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WWCVJV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I do think this coffee swap will save us $300/year or so. 

Coffee taste tests seem to be no different from Pete's.  We grind our beans daily so this is whole bean prices.

I'm sure there are cheaper options out there. Still, I'm pleased with our efforts to play with easy swaps to save money, brain space, and shopping time.

catbend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15734 on: March 13, 2023, 09:21:44 PM »
@JenniferW, if you are interested, you can MAKE your detergent for even less than this.  4 ingredients: Borax, Washing Soda, Salt and Citric acid.
I think I actually do a 2:2:1:1 ratio, but this is a good article to get you started.

https://www.thespruce.com/dishwasher-detergent-recipes-1387928

I actually make my own laundry detergent too.

I have sourced ingredients at groceries (Lidl carries Borax on a really good sale frequently), Amazon and big box retailers like Walmart and my cost is much lower than *any* premade AND I get to control the ingredients and keep it perfume free.

Hope this is helpful!!

I just took a look at this site and there is a tutorial for making your own laundry detergent as well.
https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-make-your-own-laundry-detergent-1387952

Hmm... Now I need to work through the 50 lbs of premade powder I just bought! haha.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15735 on: March 13, 2023, 09:39:20 PM »
I'm only paying 6.3 cents per oz of the Great Value dishwasher powder now. It works as well as Cascade powder.  It's a 75oz box for like $4.76.  I use 33 grams of the powder per load -- roughly about 2 slightly rounded soup spoons.  I put 25% of the powder outside for the prewash.

I don't know if making my own would be much cheaper than this, or if it would work as well.  There are a lot of ingredients in the formula -- perhaps many things which wouldn't be in homemade powder?

Costing me about 7.4 cents per load for the GV powder vs. 19.4 cents per load for the Finish tabs.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 09:44:12 PM by JenniferW »

catbend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15736 on: March 14, 2023, 05:46:49 AM »
I'm only paying 6.3 cents per oz of the Great Value dishwasher powder now. It works as well as Cascade powder.  It's a 75oz box for like $4.76.  I use 33 grams of the powder per load -- roughly about 2 slightly rounded soup spoons.  I put 25% of the powder outside for the prewash.

I don't know if making my own would be much cheaper than this, or if it would work as well.  There are a lot of ingredients in the formula -- perhaps many things which wouldn't be in homemade powder?

Costing me about 7.4 cents per load for the GV powder vs. 19.4 cents per load for the Finish tabs.

Thanks this is good info! I feel like my next effort is just using less powder/soap.  I suspect clothes / dishes will be just as clean.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #15737 on: March 14, 2023, 08:26:10 AM »

Thanks this is good info! I feel like my next effort is just using less powder/soap.  I suspect clothes / dishes will be just as clean.

I used to make my own laundry detergent. It worked well, at first and I was so proud of my hack! Then gradually it was working less and less well, and some internet research told me why - it isn't actually detergent! I switched back, and am glad to have clean clothes again...

https://abetterwaytothrive.com/trouble-homemade-laundry-detergent/

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15738 on: March 14, 2023, 10:07:52 AM »
@Nangirl17 , Thank you for sharing the link.  I have been using my homemade detergent for years and have never noted any of the issues listed by the author.  My clothes and towels smell clean and fresh and I have a high school athlete that definitely doesn't smell clean or fresh when I put his practice clothes in the wash!!  Perhaps there are different experiences and different water, but I love my homemade detergent/soap.  In addition, that article reads like an advertisement for Grove products.

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #15739 on: March 14, 2023, 01:54:49 PM »
Yeah I have been using home-made powder for... close to a decade? And my microfiber is fine and my clothes smell fine (my son tends to leave his in the washer too long after they are done, so sometimes his stink, but that's about it).

Laundry stripping is a weird fad and good way to destroy your clothes, but you can certainly get dirty water out of your stuff if you do it, whatever you use in your washing machine.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15740 on: March 14, 2023, 08:23:52 PM »
Realized this weekend would be too busy to meal prep, so I bought 5 frozen meals for work lunches. I popped them into the freezer in the break room fridge and don't have to worry about lunch. It costs a bit more per meal than home cooked but less per meal than the cafeteria.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15741 on: March 14, 2023, 08:58:41 PM »
Realized this weekend would be too busy to meal prep, so I bought 5 frozen meals for work lunches. I popped them into the freezer in the break room fridge and don't have to worry about lunch. It costs a bit more per meal than home cooked but less per meal than the cafeteria.

Hopefully you don't have one of those employees who go through people's lunch bags etc., in the fridge -- lol.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15742 on: March 14, 2023, 09:03:53 PM »
Got a very nice free recliner from Buy Nothing today.  It's in like brand new condition, a Lazy Boy.  Dark brown to match my furniture in the house as well :) Totally unexpected.  Good timing because my current one has had it.   One in this condition would normally run me about $85, but got for free from a kind neighbor.  (I give a lot of stuff away for free on Buy Nothing as well instead of taking it to Goodwill.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15743 on: March 16, 2023, 06:08:46 PM »
Picked up free avocados from a neighbor. She's giving away 100s. I've never seen bigger avocado trees, & I'm very envious!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15744 on: March 16, 2023, 06:29:44 PM »
Picked up free avocados from a neighbor. She's giving away 100s. I've never seen bigger avocado trees, & I'm very envious!
I'm envious of your free avocados!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15745 on: March 16, 2023, 06:34:20 PM »

Nice score :) Love avocados.  Wish I had an avocado tree :)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15746 on: March 17, 2023, 08:49:21 AM »
Took home a big raw veggie platter from a party, only a third eaten, that was going to be thrown away.  Half of it went into a stir fry, and half was mixed with some marinated meat and thrown onto the grill.  Saved me money and time, and got my family to eat more vegetables!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15747 on: March 17, 2023, 09:58:15 AM »
Took home a big raw veggie platter from a party, only a third eaten, that was going to be thrown away.  Half of it went into a stir fry, and half was mixed with some marinated meat and thrown onto the grill.  Saved me money and time, and got my family to eat more vegetables!

Hah! Perfect :)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #15748 on: March 17, 2023, 12:50:53 PM »
Saw the big container of injera that my sweetie brought home from a work thing, put on my big boy pants, and finally learned a couple of Ethiopian recipes. They were a big hit!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15749 on: March 17, 2023, 03:35:07 PM »
Used a $15 grocery store reward to pick up treats for my son's school team tennis match today. It's his 16th birthday, homemade treats aren't allowed. Normally, we buy healthier & less expensive snacks, when it's not a birthday. You only turn 16 once!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!