Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029394 times)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #15600 on: January 24, 2023, 03:39:45 PM »
Aldi was out of canned black beans so I bought a bag of dry beans that are burbling away in the crockpot with an onion and some bay leaves. I will calculate my savings based on how many bean servings I get from the bag. I will use them in many a frugal dish made with rice and sweet potatoes.

My work outfit was thrifted except for the shoes and cost less than $10.

Patched a giant hole in one of DP's favorite socks. The hole was so big I needed new fabric--darning only wouldn't have worked. I used some fabric cut from an old face mask as a patch and the end of a dumbbell as the darning egg. I usually use a lightbulb but this hole was so big the bulb didn't work. As a bonus, the grippy covering on the dumbbell kept the fabric from shifting so it was a very smooth patch despite being on the curve of the heel. It worked so well I *almost* wish I had another sock to patch.

Forgot my packed lunch in the fridge. Luckily I had popcorn, an orange, and some yogurt stashed at the office. The sandwich I packed will work for dinner instead.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15601 on: January 25, 2023, 08:37:03 AM »
I made yogurt!

Due to the insane cost of eggs, we decided to switch some of our daily egg habit to more yogurt for breakfast. But the large bucket of yogurt is $6. Since our last kid left the house, we don't go through much milk and it pains me to spend $2.50 for a 1/2 gallon, when a gallon is only $3.50. I decided to try making yogurt with the extra half gallon. My first experiment (in an oven that was supposed to be on "warm 110") - got too hot. The yogurt tasted fine but was very curd-y. This morning I tried a different method - adding warm water to a small cooler and putting the jars in there. Fingers crossed that by tonight I'll have tasty smooth yogurt! If I can find a method that's pretty easy and foolproof, I can turn $1 worth of milk into $10 of yogurt. (not sure we'll continue if it always turns out curd-y).
The Frugal Girl has an excellent yogurt tutorial.

If you have an Instant Pot it's super easy to do and requires no babysitting.  Been doing it for years, saved thousands by now.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15602 on: January 25, 2023, 08:45:21 AM »
Got a notice from Medicare that my monthly premium was jumping to $329!  Turns out the IRS shares adjusted gross income data with Medicare who then uses it to calculate your premium for the following calendar year. 

But that premium increase was based on my having cashed out an investment vehicle which made my AGI for that one year much higher.  It was a one-time event and that account is zeroed out, so going forward I'm only earning my same five-figure income.
Luckily, there's an online form which you can use to appeal.  You have to appeal within 65 days of the notice date, and fortunately I realized that in time and hand-delivered my appeal to the Social Security office (per instructions) on the 61st day yesterday.

I'm mentioning all of this for those of you who handle finances for your senior family or friends - pay attention to the messages in their socialsecurity.gov accounts and realize that any increases or decreases in their AGI on their taxes will affect their Medicare premiums.  And pay attention to the deadline to appeal. 

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #15603 on: January 25, 2023, 09:34:39 AM »
Biked to get groceries and made bread from scratch. Store baked loaves are getting pricey. Probably saved $3 overall

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #15604 on: January 25, 2023, 01:08:09 PM »
I made yogurt!
...This morning I tried a different method - adding warm water to a small cooler and putting the jars in there. Fingers crossed that by tonight I'll have tasty smooth yogurt!....
The Frugal Girl has an excellent yogurt tutorial.

If you have an Instant Pot it's super easy to do and requires no babysitting.  Been doing it for years, saved thousands by now.

I don't have an IP.
My cooler method worked and it was very easy with almost no babysitting (I checked it a couple of times and added a touch more hot water just because I was nervous). The yogurt turned out creamy and delicious :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:09:45 PM by ohsnap »

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15605 on: January 26, 2023, 07:31:41 AM »
Bundled errands that require a vehicle and planned the most efficient route

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15606 on: January 30, 2023, 08:35:24 PM »
Strained the homemade orange cleaner and it works great. The vinegar smell is very faint and fades quickly. I started a new jar since oranges are $3 for 4 lbs at Aldi right now.

Patched four more socks with the same face mask scraps i used on DP's sock. These hadn't worn through yet but were getting threadbare, so more reinforcing than patching.  There are about 6 more patches left in the face mask.

Used some shopping rewards to get a free bottle of soda, a lint roller, granola bar, almond milk, and eggs. Eggs were $5.65 a dozen so the only way I could justify paying that was that I wasn't actually paying for them...

I have some free wild game thawing in the fridge for a cooking experiment while I WFH tomorrow.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15607 on: January 31, 2023, 03:56:24 AM »
Does anyone know what to do with walnut milk? I am guessing just to drink it or use it over cereal. I was gifted a container and don't even use almond milk or hardly much cow milk.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15608 on: January 31, 2023, 05:50:31 AM »
Does anyone know what to do with walnut milk? I am guessing just to drink it or use it over cereal. I was gifted a container and don't even use almond milk or hardly much cow milk.

I use it in my scratch pancake recipe in lieu of dairy.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15609 on: January 31, 2023, 11:16:12 AM »
Updated our son's car insurance with his school transcript, saving us $160+/year, thanks to a good student discount.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15610 on: January 31, 2023, 08:55:32 PM »
Bought a discounted gift card on Ibotta. I was able to get a $50 gift card for $32.50.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15611 on: February 01, 2023, 03:56:03 AM »
I’m beginning a low spend Feb!  I have a pricey laser eye procedure mid-month for $3845 but other than that, I’m a-gonna be frugally Februarying.

EverythingisNew

• Stubble
« Reply #15612 on: February 01, 2023, 11:44:09 AM »
One of my favorite low cost meals is rice and black beans. It’s so yummy too!

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #15613 on: February 01, 2023, 01:55:57 PM »
Brought an Aldi Talk yearly cell phone package (plan) for 59,99€ and  received a 5 € Aldi coupon with the purchase. 55€ for 12month of unlimited calls within Germany plus 12 GB of data works great for me ( my kids wouldn't last long with 12 Gb and are laughing about me but I usually even have about 7Gb left at the end of the year. In Germany we use what's App a lot - the kids not as much as parents and older people and I think I often send things from home when in our wlan)
Anyway I feel good about spending way less than most people

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15614 on: February 01, 2023, 04:14:59 PM »
Requested and got a $500 discount plus they waived the $100 fee on their service call. New AC will save us some serious money on our energy bill going forward too.
Happy with how quiet it is compared to the old unit.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #15615 on: February 02, 2023, 12:06:35 AM »
Snagged some diced squash for $1 at the closeout/overstock grocery, vs $5 at the regular grocery for almost the same thing. Woo!

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #15616 on: February 02, 2023, 05:05:06 AM »
Requested and got a $500 discount plus they waived the $100 fee on their service call. New AC will save us some serious money on our energy bill going forward too.
Happy with how quiet it is compared to the old unit.

Good job on that. Big ticket items are where you can save the big bucks.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15617 on: February 02, 2023, 10:06:25 AM »
When using Fancy Expensive Tea Concentrate, used about 10% less, and less milk too. Not a big savings, but I don't notice that my hot beverage is slightly smaller. By the end of the container, I have an additional half serving, it's like a bonus/reward :)

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15618 on: February 02, 2023, 10:23:56 AM »
I finally fixed my dryer but I'm still drying my clothes and towels (not sheets) on a rack by the woodstove.
Bonus: no need to fold towels, just lean them in the corner.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15619 on: February 02, 2023, 12:46:31 PM »
I finally fixed my dryer but I'm still drying my clothes and towels (not sheets) on a rack by the woodstove.

I have a clothes rod in my laundry room. after taking out of washer, I put the clothes in the dryer for a few minutes to dewrinkle then remove, hang on a clothes hanger, put on the rod and aim a fan at the clothes. By morning, all is dry and not wrinkled. My dryer only runs for a few minutes but I do let the dryer run for my whites a whole cycle because most of it is nothing I want to hang up and I have limited space on the rod.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #15620 on: February 02, 2023, 10:24:28 PM »
Used a scrap from a worn out flannel sheet to sew new corners on a comforter that my dog had chewed on.

la Condessa

• Stubble
« Reply #15621 on: February 03, 2023, 09:07:16 AM »
Finished the fancy refrigerated fresh pickles my husband loves.  Cut up half a cucumber, put it in the store-bought fancy pickle container that had the leftover brine, dill, and garlic mixture.  $0.35 and two days to another container of fresh refrigerated pickles!

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15622 on: February 03, 2023, 01:17:54 PM »
I keep hearing people say you can call and pay your medical bill in full and get a discount. I got a medical bill for $1600 and I noticed a little note that said they would discount it if i paid in full. So I called, and they knocked off 20%!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15623 on: February 03, 2023, 01:37:37 PM »
Lol!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15624 on: February 03, 2023, 01:53:07 PM »
We decided last night to go to our place in the Desert for ten days this morning. I packed up the lunch cooler for the road trip, then another cooler with a few meals and easy ingredients (looking at you, lovely frozen Costco pesto). We just defrosted the freezer, so I had no prepped meals on hand. I also did not have a week's worth of homemade breakfast granola left, so I'm going g to have to buy some. Horrors!

Happily, we have Sam's, Costco and Winco near our place there. If only we didn't have an 8 hour drive to get there...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 02:43:25 PM by Dicey »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15625 on: February 03, 2023, 02:09:53 PM »
@Dicey - a desert getaway sounds great!

I had to pick up an item at the grocery store, and after purchasing, I checked one of the shopping apps I use (iBotta) & found a $.50 rebate. I also picked up the Friday Freebie at the grocery store (yogurt), which I'll either get one of the teens to eat, or I'll use for baking.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #15626 on: February 03, 2023, 05:19:45 PM »
Cleaned out and defrosted our freezer and found stuff I had forgetten about including some nice homemade turket stock from Thanksgiving. My daughter has been sick, so I'll have some soup for her when we visit tomorrow. Also found a chicken caccitore freezer meal- so I can push off grocery shopping for a few days.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15627 on: February 04, 2023, 12:12:41 AM »
I forgot to put detergent in a load of laundry. Whoops!

I made valentines cards for my kids daycare. (Why?!?) the cheap ones are awful and the nice ones are expensive. I just couldn’t spend money on either.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #15628 on: February 04, 2023, 11:09:59 AM »
Library had an art supply swap- I donated a fancy adult coloring book and picked up some colored pencils and some paper for card making.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15629 on: February 04, 2023, 04:58:56 PM »
Didn't buy the cute sticker charts. I'll find some free printables online and print at the library.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15630 on: February 05, 2023, 08:28:15 AM »
I had to replace my teen's soccer cleats, and clicked through a cash back site first. I had also purchased discounted gift cards to the store ahead of time, as I knew cleat replacement was around the corner. Between those two things, I saved about 20% off of the purchase.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15631 on: February 05, 2023, 11:18:06 AM »
I ate up some leftovers for breakfast  and have not purchased anything yet today. 

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15632 on: February 05, 2023, 03:08:04 PM »
Stopped at Goodwill and my son found a Tom Clancy book on the shelf for $1.99 that we were planning to order online for several dollars more.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15633 on: February 05, 2023, 07:38:28 PM »
Lol!
Deep belly laugh!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15634 on: February 05, 2023, 07:44:46 PM »
Skipped breakfast and had lunch at a family event for free. Filled up the gas tank at the cheapest station on my way home.

Spent the afternoon listening to an audiobook from the library while I did yard chores and laundry. Had a delicious orange as a reward/snack on a beautiful, sunny, spring-like day while sitting in the sunshine and drinking homemade iced tea.

Spent the evening batch cooking and cleaning up the kitchen.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15635 on: February 06, 2023, 05:25:29 AM »
Picked up some free firewood Sunday from a farm where I've been repairing the barn, brought my partner so she could feed the Scottish Highlands cattle (she loves cows).

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #15636 on: February 06, 2023, 06:48:35 PM »
Picked up some free firewood Sunday from a farm where I've been repairing the barn, brought my partner so she could feed the Scottish Highlands cattle (she loves cows).

They are verrrrry cute.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15637 on: February 07, 2023, 07:41:44 PM »
Took breakfast and lunch to work. Brought work snacks at a B1G1 sale so there's no need to buy expensive vending machine or cafeteria food.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15638 on: February 07, 2023, 08:14:41 PM »
Stocked up on carrots while the discount grocery had an abundance in stock. Had gone to the regular grocery last night and was outraged at the price of carrots, lol

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15639 on: February 08, 2023, 09:16:45 PM »
Got physical books from the library and an audiobook from their app

srrb

• Stubble
« Reply #15640 on: February 08, 2023, 10:05:41 PM »
Skipped breakfast and had lunch at a family event for free. Filled up the gas tank at the cheapest station on my way home.

Spent the afternoon listening to an audiobook from the library while I did yard chores and laundry. Had a delicious orange as a reward/snack on a beautiful, sunny, spring-like day while sitting in the sunshine and drinking homemade iced tea.

Spent the evening batch cooking and cleaning up the kitchen.

Sounds like a wonderful day!
Even though I have a new knitting project I'd like to start and need new yarn, I'm getting a jump on this year's xmas gifts and using up my odds and ends yarn stash for gloves and mittens first.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15641 on: February 11, 2023, 01:43:22 PM »
Registered for summer camp for our eldest. Because we got into this summer camp, which was our first choice and one of the least expensive options available, we saved about $1,000 on our anticipated summer care expenses; used the excess savings from that and some anticipated overage from this month to make a big payment to student loans. [Totally on track to have those paid off this year - WOO HOO!]

Paid in full for camp because we'd already earmarked the funds for it. DH forwarded me the receipt and I thought "Huh, that was more expensive than what I thought it was going to be..." Checked the receipt against listed prices and realized I was paying a higher-than-publicly-listed rate. Called Parks and Rec and found out it was incorrect in the registration system and correctly listed in the brochure. They'll refund us (and all the other families who paid the incorrect rate) the $150 excess from the incorrect charge early next week.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15642 on: February 11, 2023, 04:51:53 PM »
They'll refund us (and all the other families who paid the incorrect rate) the $150 excess from the incorrect charge early next week.

Nice going. I bet there will be a bunch of grateful people over that one.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15643 on: February 11, 2023, 05:41:40 PM »
-Used $12 of Safeway rewards ($7 was from my birthday, $5 was just a random offer added to my account) & used $1 offers for frozen items & veggies to save a bit more.
-Took advantage of two other birthday freebies: a Starbucks drink, & a free treat at Panera.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15644 on: February 11, 2023, 06:25:27 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache , happy birthday!!

and, on topic, ate homemade muffins for breakfast, went for a long walk with dog, read a library book, ate homemade moussaka for dinner...basically a normal, boring, inexpensive day in the life of a FIRE-ee.  And I loved every second of it!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15645 on: February 11, 2023, 06:31:56 PM »
-Used $12 of Safeway rewards ($7 was from my birthday, $5 was just a random offer added to my account) & used $1 offers for frozen items & veggies to save a bit more.
-Took advantage of two other birthday freebies: a Starbucks drink, & a free treat at Panera.
++Happy birthday++

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15646 on: February 11, 2023, 06:51:37 PM »
1. Made sure to use my 5% family discount at Ikea - saved about $45 - not bad.
plus
I got a free coffee as a member too.
2. Paid w/2% rewards credit card so really seven percent off. Sweet.

3. Ikea had a couple of X-mas items at 50-70% off - so I scored on a fancy red flower pot (perfect for Valentines and fun to use in my spring garden later)
and
4. A string of starlights that came in its own metal box - I'd wanted an extra set and I love that the light string can be stored in the cute metal container.

5. Got a free Kindle book thru BookBub - I missed the offer the last time but resisted paying the full price since it was a new author for me and a departure from my usual reading genre. I opted for the wishlist instead and six months later - voila - FREE.

6. Sewed up the frayed backing on a X-mas rug that I'd stuck in the closet last year (I "found" it when I did my annual closet decluttering.
My friend has one of those electric razors for fuzzies - so now - after a final run in the washer - it looks as good as new.

7. My neighbor gifted us a big fat Papaya off their tree - so there will be fresh fruit for the big game day tomorrow.

8. Sort of batch cooked this week - cooked twice but had supper for five days.
Added fresh produce from the garden, changed up the sides to raw and still had potatoes left for today. No freezing or re-packaging involved - saved time and labor/electricity by keeping it in the same pot, saved more time and product for doing less dishes...

9. Found a white wine that I really like at the nearby ethnic grocery store. Negotiated a 10% discount for buying a case of my new favorite wine.

10. Mr. R. got excellent BOGO deals on coffee, vitamins and his favorite ice cream - along with some coupons ($8) - he ended up paying less than 50% of the regular price at the grocery store.

I am currently totally frustrated with my health insurance website - they force you to change your password every three months and the new password setup never goes smoothly! GRRR!
Once I finally clear that hurdle there will be $$$ of rebates and reimbursements coming my way - enough incentive for me to pursue the issue.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 06:54:23 PM by Rosy »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15647 on: February 11, 2023, 07:05:48 PM »
Mine used to do that, as did my employer. Just come up with a standard format that works in their system and change the number at the end each time. Or do something with the date (123, 423, 723 1023 etc.), anything so you can remember the pattern.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15648 on: February 11, 2023, 07:06:49 PM »
Thanks, @Dicey and @Josiecat23503 !

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #15649 on: February 11, 2023, 08:03:24 PM »
Got some free dishes in my pattern, just because I was the first one to respond to somebody's free post on a facebook group for collectors of said dishes.

Also I traded some extra toothbrushes I didn't need (I get them from the dentist, but I use an electric toothbrush) for a cabbage.