Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8030726 times)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #15350 on: November 11, 2022, 08:23:21 PM »
Batch cooking Macau-style Portuguese chicken, which freezes nicely. Should be enough for at least 3 to 4 dinners.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #15351 on: November 11, 2022, 10:50:18 PM »
Stacked 4 coupons and a sale to get $88 off of $130 purchase of replacement sheets and comforter, paying only $42 + tax. Woot!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #15352 on: November 12, 2022, 05:00:28 AM »
Got the hubs to drop me off and pick my up so I didn't have pay for parking at the hospital to visit my mom. And while he waited at home he put on the winter tires himself. Probably saved 100$ for the afternoon.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15353 on: November 13, 2022, 07:15:04 AM »
Cancelled Amazon Prime.  We don't use the streaming service and found Amazon deliveries to be inconsistent.  I was really worried that we couldn't do without it since we had packages arriving almost every few days.  It's really been a non-issue.  Packages still are free, but they just take a few days longer....

Cancelled a couple of other subscriptions as well.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15354 on: November 13, 2022, 07:48:20 AM »
Entire family is on Mint Mobile now.  Our cell cost has been reasonable but not 100% optimal i.e. $95/month plus fees or $104 for 4 lines, plus another $40/month for the 5th line.

The three "kids" are now all paying $15/month($17.30 or so with fees).

Wife and I are down to $15 for me and $30 for her as she got the completely unlimited plan.  Wife wants unlimited data for daily FaceTime with her family in Germany and this is often when we are out of the house and not on Wifi.  I think its worth the cost for this unlimited communication.  I currently have $45 in referral bonus but should end up with more soon.

Cancelled Apple Music ultra for $21.xx/month and switched to Spotify Premium @ $13.77

Cancelled Amazone Prime

Don't have much if anything left to optimize as far as monthly fees/expenses/subscriptions.  I'm considering cancelling Netflix as it is our only subscription other than Spotify.

Let's see, Netflix plus Spotify ~ $35/month or $420/year. $4200/10 years.  Still adds up!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 07:55:36 AM by UltraStache »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15355 on: November 13, 2022, 11:28:57 AM »
Made fancy coffee house drink at home from a concentrate. Yum!

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15356 on: November 13, 2022, 03:02:46 PM »

Don't have much if anything left to optimize as far as monthly fees/expenses/subscriptions.  I'm considering cancelling Netflix as it is our only subscription other than Spotify.

Let's see, Netflix plus Spotify ~ $35/month or $420/year. $4200/10 years.  Still adds up!

I kept the family version of Spotify since we all enjoy it so much.  I use the cashback from my Apple card to rebate back the amount of the Spotify subscription each month so I feel better about it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15357 on: November 13, 2022, 05:17:19 PM »
Was going to stop by both the coffeeshop & grocery store after work and I just kept walking by both of them :)

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15358 on: November 14, 2022, 07:14:30 AM »
I got some dance leotards for my daughter from the buy nothing group. They are in great shape and they are adorable. I am going to wrap them for her for Christmas, Amy D style! :) (My daughter is 4.)

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15359 on: November 14, 2022, 01:05:32 PM »
Entire family is on Mint Mobile now.  Our cell cost has been reasonable but not 100% optimal i.e. $95/month plus fees or $104 for 4 lines, plus another $40/month for the 5th line.

The three "kids" are now all paying $15/month($17.30 or so with fees).

Wife and I are down to $15 for me and $30 for her as she got the completely unlimited plan.  Wife wants unlimited data for daily FaceTime with her family in Germany and this is often when we are out of the house and not on Wifi.  I think its worth the cost for this unlimited communication.  I currently have $45 in referral bonus but should end up with more soon.

Cancelled Apple Music ultra for $21.xx/month and switched to Spotify Premium @ $13.77

Cancelled Amazone Prime

We have the family on Visible so the young adults can get a family discount but still pay their bills themselves. $25 per person for unlimited, and it includes 5G for those of us with 5G phones.

We have three services: Apple One Premier at $33, which is kind of crazy to me but we were already paying for iCloud storage, Apple News+, and Apple Music Family, and then would turn AppleTV+ on and off, so we come out slightly ahead with the bundle.  DH and my oldest use the music and news extensively, and we all use the iCloud storage which is why we had a higher plan on that.  Amazon Prime at $69 per year (student rate), and we stream a lot of Prime, and Disney+ (ad free) at $80, which we just got charged after having paid $140 for 3 years when it first started.  So those three together are $45 per month.  Everything else we turn off and on and then watch a lot when we have it on.  They guys do Netflix each year for Stranger Things, and we watch anything else new that is interesting, and then we turn it off.  We do BritBox now and then.  But we don't go to the movies except the rare occasion every few years.

$45 x 12 = $540, $5400 over 10 years.  I still think the average person going to the movies once a month and using a less expensive music streaming service spends more, and we also get storage and news, so I don't mind.  Now, I've already made it clear this is the last year I pay for Disney+ (kid who loves Star Wars and Marvel graduates college next year), and we probably won't continue with Amazon Prime after the student discount goes away, and then just do the monthly Prime Video membership now and then.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15360 on: November 14, 2022, 01:17:51 PM »
I bought tomatillos, cilantro, and poblano peppers on sale right before Dia de Muertos, planning to make a pozole verde last week, but the pozole blanco I made on the 2nd was a big batch and we ate it for several meals, so I didn't need to make the pozole verde.  The produce was still good, so today I blistered the tomatillos and peppers and then made a salsa verde, adding in half an onion I had in the fridge plus the juice of two free limes I got from a neighbor.  I'm using half to make shredded chicken today, and froze the other half.  It's a big batch of chicken, so I will freeze some of it to use in tamales later on.  As a bonus, this is boneless skinless chicken legs I paid less than $1 per pound for on sale and then froze.

I created my Thanksgiving centerpiece using a thrift store pedestal bowl and pomegranates off our tree, which I had to pick last week before the rain (a heavy rain will split them).  I added two deep red candles leftover from last year, held in thrifted candlesticks.

One of the trailing vines on my pothos got unhealthy in the middle, so I trimmed it back, but kept the healthy portion at the end and am rooting a new plant from it.

I had whole wheat toast for breakfast, from bread I baked with flour I ground.  It saves money and taste good.  I topped it with macadamia nut butter, which I have left over from making macadamia nut milk for my oldest when he was home over the summer (I got a big jar at Costco and it makes the best tasting cheap non-dairy milk).

I inventoried the outside freezer and then made a meal plan using all of the meat in it.  We shouldn't have to buy meat until January, unless we see a fantastic sale and decide to stock up.  I also planned out our Thanksgiving meal -- we're having a small group with only four people who eat meat, so I'm going to do a bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin.  I shouldn't need to spend very much additional on Thanksgiving.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15361 on: November 15, 2022, 08:57:05 AM »
Paid my property taxes in full for an automatic 3% discount.
Used a 3% cash back credit card to offset the 2.5% fee for using a cc. Will receive a $200 bonus for meeting the spend requirements on the cc.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15362 on: November 15, 2022, 09:33:59 AM »
Doing work on our vehicle ourselves

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #15363 on: November 15, 2022, 01:43:45 PM »
I got free quince (and apples and pears) from the orchard where I volunteer. I made 2 dozen quince oat muffins to stock the freezer. And I dehydrated 3 batches of apples. Having those around keeps me from buying as many packaged snacks.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15364 on: November 15, 2022, 03:21:24 PM »
I've been wearing wired ear buds for years.
Many years ago I got some $90 Etymotic Research's.   They were GREAT, but the wires broke right at one of the buds.  Even an electronics shop couldn't fix them.   
So I shopped for 'value' ear buds.  I never found 'disposable' priced buds that I liked. 
When I bought moderately priced buds, I researched making them last as long as I could.  I shopped for something to put on the wires to protect them / hold them together.  I found Performix ReRack, a vinyl dishwasher rack coating.  It's a small bottle with a brush in the cap.  I put it on the wires at the jack and ear bud.  It works!!   
After 3 or 4 pairs of earbuds (the rerack doesn't totally prevent them from breaking) I felt confident enough to buy another set of Etymotic Research.   I went to put rerack on them... but it was dried out.  So I used my GF's dollar $tore version of 'hard as nails' nail polish hardener / protector. 
I'm going to use them a few months and see how the hardener / protector holds up to decide if I'll buy more rerack.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15365 on: November 15, 2022, 06:02:55 PM »
I turned 3 overripe bananas into whole grain muffins, and I ground the wheat at home which is less expensive than buying whole wheat flour plus it also isn't rancid.  We'll have the muffins as part of a light supper, and then I'll freeze the rest for easy breakfasts.

I went for a nice walk which is my main exercise, and it doesn't cost a thing -- I don't belong to a gym and I don't participate in sports that require that I buy equipment (this isn't true of the entire family, but it's true for me).

On my walk I spotted fallen pinecones at a gas station, so I'm heading back with a bag to pick them up for use as fire starters.

I requested a book I am interested in from the library, even though it's only $5 used.  I use the library all the time for ebooks and audiobooks, but just got back to requesting paper books, which vasty expands what I can get.  I got out of the habit of going during the pandemic, but now I have it on a biweekly schedule.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15366 on: November 15, 2022, 09:36:43 PM »
DP asked if we could cancel the Netflix subscription since we hardly use it and I cancelled Amazon Prime. I tried it for a month but I just don't order enough to justify it. And I was using it as an excuse to buy too much since it was 'free' shipping. #facepunch

I returned two items I ordered online the very next day after they arrived and I realized they wouldn't work out. Nearly immediate refunds to my card and no clutter lying around to 'get around to' while the return window slowly closes. 

I did a big batch cook of on-sale chicken thighs using half-empty bottles of condiments from the fridge door. I made some packed lunches for work and froze the rest for dinners.

I made an *exact* grocery list using store website prices to get the things I need to make meals and stock the pantry for the amount in the grocery budget (with $0.25 to spare, if I've calculated the sales tax correctly). No more putting the overage on the debit card if there's not enough cash in the envelope.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15367 on: November 16, 2022, 12:29:21 AM »
1. Another nice walk to the grocery store, saving gas and wear & tear. Bonus health effects.

2. Used the store's app to save an extra $1 on top of sale prices.

3. Bought ONLY the 3 things I needed for tomorrow night's dinner. Saving who knows $$ on some "fun" "splurge" that will sit in my pantry and make me feel guilty for hoarding/worry about food waste. Bonus mental health effects.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15368 on: November 16, 2022, 07:29:33 AM »
Worked out in home gym

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15369 on: November 16, 2022, 07:09:41 PM »
Took a double batch of stir fry to work yesterday and had the second half for lunch today. I used the last 20 minutes of my lunch break to walk around the neighborhood and soak up some sun.

Signed up for a (free) work gym event. I have a chance to win a gift card in the raffle and get points toward a 'health bonus' that pays into my HSA at the end of the fiscal year. All I had to do was go down to the gym, weigh myself, and tell the gym manager I wanted to sign up. That small effort works out to about $14 toward my health bonus! It wasn't even out of my way--I did my lunch part to circle around to that part of campus on my way back to the office.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15370 on: November 17, 2022, 04:31:26 PM »
Turned off the heat while BF was out of the house for a few hours today. We have different heat tolerances.

It truly is a small thing, because it's just a few hours out of a month-long billing cycle. Heat is on a lot since we both work from home. Still, feels good to make the effort.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15371 on: November 17, 2022, 08:53:43 PM »
I spotted an ad on Facebook Marketplace for 4 vintage maple dining chairs that had been set out for free at a local realty office.  The ad was 3 hours old, but the location was less than half a mile away so we headed over.  At first we didn't spot them, but then we circled to the other parking lot (the less intuitive one) and I spotted them.  They are vintage Baumritter (very early, before a stamped Ethan Allen mark) fiddleback chairs, the 444.  The absolute lowest price I can find for them locally would be $100 each, and that seller only has 2 -- usually they cost more if they have the set of 4.  Still, I'm happy to call it $400 saved!  We bought a used dining table in September and while we like the table (although we eventually plan to use it in a different room), the chairs were rickety to the point I wouldn't risk offering to have guests sit on them.  So we needed chairs and this was a great find.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15372 on: November 20, 2022, 04:12:36 PM »
Ended up with leftovers from a work event for a free lunch.
Got out of work early so ran errands before traffic got crazy.
Followed my grocery list to the letter, only making substitutions for items they were out of. I got within 25 cents of my estimation.
Tomorrow I'll go to the outlet store that's normally out of my way while I'm in another part of town. Their prices on dried fruit and baking goods are better than Aldi's.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15373 on: November 21, 2022, 08:11:32 AM »
I needed a can of diced tomatoes with chiles for a recipe. I don't keep it on hand, and didn't really want to go back to the store. Used garden tomatoes & a jalapeno (also from the garden) in place. Saved a buck or so, plus the time of going to the store.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15374 on: November 21, 2022, 08:22:52 AM »
I needed a can of diced tomatoes with chiles for a recipe. I don't keep it on hand, and didn't really want to go back to the store. Used garden tomatoes & a jalapeno (also from the garden) in place. Saved a buck or so, plus the time of going to the store.
FYI, for future reference, Grocery Outlet has the large cans of Muir Glen Organic Tomatoes on sale for 99 cents right now. Not as delicious as homemade, but certainly worth stocking up on.  Despite the fact that I'm on a pantry clean-out streak, a dozen (or two) cans followed me home on Senior Day, when an additional 10% off was applied.p

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #15375 on: November 21, 2022, 08:30:32 AM »
We didn't eat out this weekend, despite me really not wanting to cook a couple of times.  DD made waffles Saturday night. DH kept me company Sunday night while I cooked supper.  And since I was already in the kitchen, I made a large batch of cauliflower cheddar soup with left over roasted cauliflower for tonight. And I used up a bunch of ingredients that had been hanging about in the fridge for almost too long. 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15376 on: November 21, 2022, 02:22:51 PM »
We didn't eat out this weekend, despite me really not wanting to cook a couple of times.  DD made waffles Saturday night. DH kept me company Sunday night while I cooked supper.  And since I was already in the kitchen, I made a large batch of cauliflower cheddar soup with left over roasted cauliflower for tonight. And I used up a bunch of ingredients that had been hanging about in the fridge for almost too long.

Good to clean out refrigerator contents before Thanksgiving.

Oops.  I forgot you're Canadian and your Thanksgiving is long over.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15377 on: November 22, 2022, 06:45:44 PM »
I got additional home insulation. It wasn't nearly as time-consuming as I feared. I'm hoping it will pay for itself in a few years with reduced utility bills.

Instead of buying a new live Christmas tree, I got an artificial one on deep discount. This one should last for a very long time with proper care and storage, saving me $50 this year and at least $80 every year I use it instead of buying a live one of the same size.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15378 on: November 23, 2022, 08:44:10 AM »
Threw a bunch of ingredients that needed to be used up into the crockpot. Came home after a late kids meeting about school sports, and had a lovely homemade soup waiting for us.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15379 on: November 23, 2022, 09:23:42 AM »
Had to swap out a freezer for one that was going bad (DW noticed it was barely in the frozen range). Some friends thankfully had a freezer they weren't using and gave it to us! It was a bit smaller than our other one, and we went into major cooking/preservation mode, and I don't think we're going to lose anything despite our freezer failing, which makes me so excited!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15380 on: November 23, 2022, 11:32:51 AM »
@Wolfpack Mustachian - that's a big win! One of my teens got ice cream last night, & didn't properly close the freezer, & created quite the mess. I think we'll be able to save everything, but... losing/wasting food is one of my biggest pet peeves.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15381 on: November 23, 2022, 03:58:01 PM »
I got to WFH today so I saved my commute time and gas. I'm eating strategically and not doing any batch cooking until after the holiday.

Decided against going to the extra-large family gathering on the other side of the state. It's too stressful and exhausting. I'll stay here and make something from the pantry for the in-town family event.

The other side of the family cancelled our outdoor gathering an hour away due to weather. Now we're meeting in the town where I live. I hit the no-travel jackpot this holiday season!

Decided against a grocery shop this week. I have plenty to be getting on with even without leftovers and I do not want to deal with crowded stores and frustrated shoppers.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #15382 on: November 26, 2022, 06:21:18 AM »
Cancelled Netflix yesterday.  We aren't getting enough value out of it anymore.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15383 on: November 26, 2022, 07:49:55 AM »
ate Thanksgiving leftovers

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15384 on: November 26, 2022, 09:52:34 AM »
Upgraded/replaced a toilet without calling a plumber.

Note to self:  Next time, install the gasket between tank and bowl before the first flush...

chasingsnow

• Bristles
« Reply #15385 on: November 26, 2022, 01:01:23 PM »
Drank airplane free coffee instead of expensive airport coffee

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #15386 on: November 26, 2022, 05:04:35 PM »

I tried this trick a few trips ago and the cabin crew ran out of coffee before they got to my seat. I had a caffeine withdrawal headache for the entire 2 hour flight. (I tried tea but it seems to have a lot less caffeine than coffee.)

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #15387 on: November 26, 2022, 05:09:30 PM »
Instead of buying a new live Christmas tree, I got an artificial one on deep discount. This one should last for a very long time with proper care and storage, saving me $50 this year and at least $80 every year I use it instead of buying a live one of the same size.

My wife picked up an artificial tree for free last year on the local Facebook "buy nothing" group. I have no idea what it will look like but I'm relishing the thought of not having to buy a real tree and inevitably find that the trunk is too wide for my stand. Even if it looks like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree I'll be happy. https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-Blanket-Non-Musical/dp/B001MMSWGO

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15388 on: November 27, 2022, 12:18:56 AM »

I tried this trick a few trips ago and the cabin crew ran out of coffee before they got to my seat. I had a caffeine withdrawal headache for the entire 2 hour flight. (I tried tea but it seems to have a lot less caffeine than coffee.)

Next time just bring a few individual serving packs of instant coffee and ask the flight attendant for hot water. Though its surprising that the flight attendants couldn’t just make more coffee.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15389 on: November 27, 2022, 04:17:52 AM »
Reduced our total streaming/subscription cost to $11.88/year.  Daughter gets Hulu free through work somehow.  Got Peacock Black Friday for .99/month.  A friend lets me use his HBO max.  Cancelled Amazon Prime(still got free shipping on last order) and Netflix.

Honestly, HBO max, Hulu, and Peacock should provide plenty of mindless TV entertainment.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15390 on: November 27, 2022, 09:26:35 AM »
Noticed that I hadn't received an offered discount for a running shoe purchase. Tracked it down & had it credited back.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #15391 on: November 27, 2022, 11:46:51 AM »

Next time just bring a few individual serving packs of instant coffee and ask the flight attendant for hot water. Though its surprising that the flight attendants couldn’t just make more coffee.

I think there was a catering error (not enough coffee loaded on the plane), so this isn't a normal occurrence, I hope.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15392 on: November 27, 2022, 01:45:49 PM »
Ordered parts to make our own sound-dampening barrier

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15393 on: November 27, 2022, 07:49:17 PM »
*Baked a batch of 14 banana muffins for breakfast, to use up some overripe bananas, froze 10 for later
*Baked 12 dinner rolls to have with leftover soup for lunch, will freeze 8 to have later
*Baked 10 New England style hot dog buns for tonights dinner from pantry ingredients instead of buying hot dog buns, will freeze 8 for later
*Baked a loaf of bread for this week's sandwiches
*Since I was baking I set the thermostat lower knowing the house would warm up
*Picked up two free books from the Little Free Library
*Bought 8 silver-plated napkin rings for 50¢ each at the thrift store half price sale -- I've been on the lookout for inexpensive napkin rings so these were a good find
*Bought 6 high quality deep red placemats for $3 each at the same thrift store sale -- they will be nice for the holidays without being holiday specific.  I found after polishing our bargain new-to-us wood dining table with a homemade beeswax polish (that was a money saving activity from Monday) that we get white rings from condensation unless we use placemats
*Signed up for the Peacock Black Friday deal, since I figured that we turn it on about 3-4 months per year, making the 99¢ deal a better choice
*Also signed up for the Paramount Plus 50% off Black Friday deal, since our free year ends 12/1 and we watch all of the new Star Trek shows

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15394 on: November 27, 2022, 08:00:47 PM »
Ran errands in the next town over to visit the outlet store and bigger versions of the big box stores. Did my grocery list by online prices again to be sure I was under/at budget.
I combined my grocery needs with Shopkick and Fetch offers to get two better-than-free items. I had $10 in gift cards from previous savings app deals and I can keep the savings rolling into future purchases. I got everything I needed and a few fun items with $1 left over to add to next week's budget.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #15395 on: November 28, 2022, 04:25:52 AM »
Ordered parts to make our own sound-dampening barrier

For a music studio?  To not hear noisy neighbors?  Please explain if you are so inclined.

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #15396 on: November 28, 2022, 07:21:38 AM »
Wife and I gave my labradoodle a spa day - at my house! Trimmed her hair with dog clippers and scissors, gave her a bath. Didn't go too far with the trimming, since it is first time doing it ourselves. Watched one video on YouTube for pointers - very helpful. Definitely will do again.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15397 on: November 28, 2022, 11:13:39 AM »
Worked out with home gym equipment

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15398 on: November 28, 2022, 11:18:39 AM »
Six boxes of my favorite Celestial Seasonings holiday tea were $31.00 + shipping on their website. I hate to pay shipping, so I checked "A". Found the same item/quantity for $10 less, and no shipping. Now I can stop hoarding the half box I have left from last year, woot!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15399 on: November 28, 2022, 03:46:55 PM »
Noticed that the airline we'll be flying for the holidays was having a cyber Monday sale. Called & got a price adjustment to our tickets, saving $550 (for four of us). We got that as a credit for future travel.