Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029727 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #15100 on: June 29, 2022, 10:37:45 AM »
-I'm back to the office a few days this week, so took advantage of free gym classes offered through work (spin & yoga) this week, as well as free breakfast & lunch.
-Dug out a freezer meal my mom made for us when she was here in April, and had chicken enchiladas for dinner last night. Clearing out the freezer vs going out is always a win
-Using lots of garden items for salads & sides for meals. Lettuce, tomatoes, basil, cilantro, peppers, cucumbers, strawberries, lemons, spaghetti squash, etc.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15101 on: June 29, 2022, 09:18:27 PM »
Took off the carb and cleaned it and put in a new spark plug and my backup lawnmower started right up again. It's rusty and old, has no features at all, and parts of the push bar are wired together, but it works.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15102 on: June 29, 2022, 10:53:58 PM »
Took off the carb and cleaned it and put in a new spark plug and my backup lawnmower started right up again. It's rusty and old, has no features at all, and parts of the push bar are wired together, but it works.
Sure, it has at least one feature. It cuts the grass, doesn't it?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15103 on: June 30, 2022, 07:06:01 AM »
1. Decided it was time I redeemed my stash of Amazon GC's - $325. - I had no idea I had this much:).
Together with what I have accumulated at Swagbucks around $50 or more, this is enough to purchase the new fountain for the garden.
Prime days are coming up in July...

2. Got enough tomatoes, onions, garlic chives, peppers, oregano, celery, rosemary and parsley to cook up and freeze one last big batch of tomato and pepper sauces.
I thought the garden harvest was over for our Florida season but this turned out to be the best veggie garden production we ever had.
I'll have plenty more to freeze and/or eat fresh - tomatoes have slowed down but I still have good pepper production.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15104 on: June 30, 2022, 08:04:01 AM »
Sure, it has at least one feature. It cuts the grass, doesn't it?
True, that is it's only redeeming quality.  Of course the $699 Makita self propelled battery powered mower would do that too 😉

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15105 on: July 02, 2022, 06:09:14 AM »
I replaced the leaking fittings on two old garden hoses instead of buying new hoses. Cost: $8/hose.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15106 on: July 02, 2022, 09:17:39 AM »
I happened to look here today when there was just one post on the page on my phone.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15107 on: July 02, 2022, 12:13:49 PM »
I've listed all my errands in order so that I can keep gas usage down. I'm using two cc rebates to get almost a full tank of gas for free!
I used some gift cards and loose change to get a gift for a friend.

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15108 on: July 02, 2022, 05:33:00 PM »
Spotted two grohe faucets on a free sink coming back from treating my sister to burritos. At least 8 pounds total of brass on those suckers. With a couple turns of the retaining nuts I had some metal to add to my pile and paid for lunch. On the rest of the walk back we hit the neighborhood blackberry, mulberry, plum and apricot trees for dessert, a very satisfying walk home.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15109 on: July 03, 2022, 06:41:21 PM »
Picked up a few grocery items from a neighbor who's moving. Also gave her a few items she wanted out of my Buy Nothing posting.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15110 on: July 05, 2022, 02:12:53 PM »
We are in the process of renovating our old house. We won't be done until next year, but today I accidentally ripped the last bed sheet we had left. I have been trying not to buy new sheets because I want to buy new ones when we're done, that match our decoration.

We're still in the "ripping things out" phase of renovations, we have decided where we'll put new walls and electrical outlets and the like but we have absolutely not made any kind of decoration decisions at all. Most of our furniture will go away because it's all second (third-fourth-fifth) hand Ikea that we got for free a decade ago, and when we're done we want to really re-decorate our house with stuff we actually like - good quality, nicely designed used furniture. But the style and colour will depend on what we're going to find, we don't know yet.

Because we really needed new sheets I decided to have a look at the Dutch alternative to Craigslist and found two sets of name-brand sheets, still in plastic, for €25 shipping included. That's extremely cheap, even in the cheapest department store the cheapest sets are €25/each. Downside is they're extremely ugly so we're not going to want to keep them long-term when we're done decorating. But they're 100% my mum's style so next year when we have a new bedroom and two beautiful new sets of sheets, these lightly worn sheets will be passed on to my Mustachian mother and she'll use them for the next 30 years.

It's not mustachian but I'm over 30 and I've never owned a sheet I liked. All of them came from thrift stores or from deceased relatives and the like. I am actually already excited about finally picking out two sets of sheets with a lovely print made from the best fabric. I'm excited enough about finally having furniture I like instead of whatever happened to end up in our house for free, but oddly enough I'm most excited about those awesome sheets I'm going to buy next year.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15111 on: July 05, 2022, 03:41:09 PM »
I tried to get my eyebrows professionally groomed this morning as I have an event with folks I haven’t seen since high school  this weekend and there will be photographs taken, but alas the threading shop is closed on Tuesdays. 

This evening I called my mortgage to see if reamortizing was a possibility.  Sadly it is not, so there we go. 

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15112 on: July 13, 2022, 10:33:54 AM »
Searching for the cheapest Airbnb or hotel between us and our next adventure.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15113 on: July 13, 2022, 10:55:56 AM »
Made my own chicken broth in the Instant Pot from a rotisserie chicken carcass.  Worked great, so that will probably a nice steady source of savings and waste reduction.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15114 on: July 13, 2022, 12:11:43 PM »
We pay for my parents flights, when they come to watch our teens. Bought flight gift cards at Costco, saving 10% off the price. I also earn a bit back on my Costco card. Found a great deal on the flights themselves, and then pulled the trigger. Travel is all over the place, pricing wise, these days, so it was nice to combine a drop in pricing with the gift card deal.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15115 on: July 13, 2022, 08:18:35 PM »
Took breakfast, lunch, and snacks to work. It adds up really fast when I buy those from the cafeteria.

Resisted the impulse to run errands, which usually means going to stores where I will spend money.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15116 on: July 14, 2022, 06:27:02 AM »
I didn't buy one single thing for Prime Day.  I did look over a few things that I'd been thinking about, but no great deals on any of them, so I passed.  I might get a new FireStick on Black Friday because the remote to mine stopped working awhile back.  For the time being, the app works fine so I'll live with it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15117 on: July 14, 2022, 08:23:09 AM »
I didn't buy one single thing for Prime Day.  I did look over a few things that I'd been thinking about, but no great deals on any of them, so I passed.  I might get a new FireStick on Black Friday because the remote to mine stopped working awhile back.  For the time being, the app works fine so I'll live with it.
Prime Day? Is that a math thing?

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #15118 on: July 14, 2022, 11:47:37 AM »

I did. Bought a couple of things I was planning on buying in August for my upcoming vacation. Saved $30!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15119 on: July 14, 2022, 12:02:29 PM »

I did. Bought a couple of things I was planning on buying in August for my upcoming vacation. Saved $30!

I didn’t buy from Amazon but last year I stumbled on Chewy discounts concurrent with Prime day and got a years worth of pet flea and tick meds very discounted, so of course I made note of that and waited to make my order. I don’t think the discounts were quite as big this year, but it was still a significant savings.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15120 on: July 14, 2022, 12:56:19 PM »

I did.  I got a $50 Amazon gift card for myself and got a $12 promotional credit that I was able to use the next day toward a UV50 sun umbrella for use in Hawaii and Egypt.

onward19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15121 on: July 14, 2022, 01:18:36 PM »

Our dryer was over 20 years old and needed to be replaced. New they are over $600, so that wasn't an option.
  The spouse has a friend in the scrap metal business, so he called to see if the friend had any dryers that he hadn't scrapped and may be functional. Unfortunately, he didn't.

More research turned up used dryers on Craigslist or FB Marketplace going for over $200, or $75 for an ancient model. Used appliance stores in town didn't have any dryers for sale.
 Just when we were looking at traveling to another town to pick up a used model, the scrap metal friend called. It seems that a couple hours after my spouse called, someone had him pick up a dryer they didn't want. The dryer is a decade old, much more modern in looks and style than our previous one, but it had some dings and stains, and the plastic on the front panel was cracked.
  The spouse went and picked it up, unscrewed the panels, cleaned out the air intake and the electrical coils, replaced the vent ducting, and voila - a working dryer. We gave the friend money for his time and effort picking up the dryer, plus what it would have earned him at the scrap yard. And of course he took our old dead dryer.
  But the spouse and I were both excited. It was serendipitous that the friend happened to get the call about a dryer that day. And my husband was willing to put in a bit of time to clean up the dryer. VS $600+ for a new, or over $200 for a used, we paid $20, a 90% savings over the other used dryers. And the friend came out ahead too!

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #15122 on: July 14, 2022, 04:52:56 PM »

I did.  I got a $50 Amazon gift card for myself and got a $12 promotional credit that I was able to use the next day toward a UV50 sun umbrella for use in Hawaii and Egypt.

Oh yes, I did that too. Make it $42.5 saved, yay!

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #15123 on: July 16, 2022, 09:39:58 PM »
We had free dinner at work tonight, which was great. :) I put my packed lunch in the fridge for tomorrow.

I also did laundry before work and put it on racks to dry, as usual. I typically only use the dryer to briefly tumble the wrinkles out of uniforms without heat before hanging them up. 

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #15124 on: July 17, 2022, 09:21:33 AM »
I need new sunglasses but I've been putting it off and using my old wonky ones (my good ones are prescription, and no longer adapted). The old wonky ones are good enough, but they totally suck when I'm working out outside, and the nose thingy keeps falling off and getting lost.

This morning I got an email that I had a $40 rewards coupon at the online store where I bought the prescription ones last year. So I clicked, and the model I like was on sale. So I ended up ordering them for about $75, saving more than $150 on a pair of good-looking, high-end sports sunglasses that will last years. Even if the lenses aren't the color I'd prefer, but these weren't on sale.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 11:07:38 AM by pasadenafr »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15125 on: July 17, 2022, 09:28:37 AM »
I always clean up garbage in carts when I return them in the parking lot of the grocery store. Saw one with two free coupons (one for an avocado, one for a dozen eggs). Used that, and picked up the Friday Freebie, which was my favorite protein bar.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15126 on: July 18, 2022, 08:47:10 AM »
Gas was down 15+ cents per gallon this morning so I filled up using 50 cents per gallon off from a loyalty program and put it on a card getting 5% back this quarter. 

I don't know about "saving," but I booked tickets to Six Flags and a night in a hotel (close enough that I won't have to pay for parking) for about $150 less than the same night at Great Wolf Lodge. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 08:49:42 AM by Sugaree »

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15127 on: July 18, 2022, 04:42:41 PM »
Borrowed a neighbor's tools to weed my backyard.

As a thank you, I weeded his yard, too.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #15128 on: July 18, 2022, 05:19:31 PM »
I just discovered that T-Mobile offers a free year of AAA membership (how did I not know that?!). Took 2 minutes and a couple of clicks, and boom, $60 saved when my membership renews in November!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15129 on: July 26, 2022, 04:31:25 PM »
Used an unexpected Amazon gift card to buy some things on my list I'd been needing. When I told the givers thank you in person, and that I'd already used it, they asked what I'd gotten myself. Oh, the toilet plumbing root treatment my plumber recommended, some undershirts, and some shaving stuff. They were a little nonplussed at the items, but they were happy I got things I needed. It seemed they were expecting that I'd bought a new outfit or something more frivolous, but those items make me happier than a new outfit :)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15130 on: July 30, 2022, 01:49:50 AM »
I joined a group buy and purchased a weekly pass for a posh club with outdoor and indoor swimming pools, fitness classes, and a kids play area. Cost us $120 for 7 days of keeping DD amused. Typically, individual day passes are $60 per person.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #15131 on: July 30, 2022, 02:08:36 PM »
Returned some old products I didn’t need that I could still return (unused, within the return window, etc.).  Now have a negative balance on that store’s account.  Called them to request a check/electronic transfer.  Can literally take that money right to the bank.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #15132 on: July 30, 2022, 04:50:57 PM »
Saved $1,300 on Tuesday!!

Went out with the coworkers to a swanky gastropub before a baseball game. Drink, apps, and beers flowed. It's amazing that 10 individuals could run up an $6,500 tab in 2.5 hours.

The service was slow and the Opus One served in regular wine glasses. Caviar was meh.

Company was paying, but we had to do the right thing.... 

Instead of a monetary tip, we shared feedback (aka tips) that will help the future generations of these peasants ear their keep.

jk - We called Geico and saved 15% on our car insurance

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15133 on: August 01, 2022, 11:25:58 AM »
Called my business bank to waive a $36 overdraft fee. I had a separate account setup for sales tax that normally just has a few hundred dollars in it for each quarter. My new bookkeeper cleaned up several quarters of previous filings that the previous bookkeeper screwed up so it over drafted for being short about $50. Meanwhile, my main checking account had thousands in it, but I had never setup the automatic overdraft protection. Took about 3-4 minutes on hold to get to a person but he waived the fee as soon as I brought it up and setup the overdraft protection.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15134 on: August 01, 2022, 02:16:14 PM »

Haha I definitely missed this the first time!

J2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15135 on: August 01, 2022, 08:47:54 PM »
I ate leftovers for lunch, as I do nearly every day.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15136 on: August 02, 2022, 01:21:21 AM »
Sold some stuff we don't need. It's all small amounts (€25, €40) but it adds up over time. Most of these things were bought used as well and are sold for roughly the same amount as we bought them for.

We're getting lots of produce from our garden now. Grapes, zucchini, tomatoes.

We decided to cancel some upcoming activities, which is a shame but will save us a couple hundred at least.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #15137 on: August 02, 2022, 01:10:16 PM »
Picked up a bunch of wild blackberries when I went for my run this morning. I had a spare (clean!) ziploc bag in the car so I used that. I'll make sure to carry those every run for now on, until berry season ends (it's just starting now, yum).

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #15138 on: August 02, 2022, 01:45:21 PM »
remembered to cancel Audible subscription finally.  My DD needed a book for the end of the school year and signed us up for the 1 month free trial, four months ago. I kept forgetting to cancel it.  But it is now done!

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15139 on: August 02, 2022, 01:53:49 PM »

Haha I definitely missed this the first time!

Actually, you can call Geico and tell them you own Berkshire Hathaway stock, which you certainly do if you have an index fund although they don't actually check, and Geico will give you a discount.  For some it can be a lot.  Try it.  It will take two minutes and could be worth 5 to a hundred plus bucks.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15140 on: August 03, 2022, 08:44:37 AM »
Had a hodgepodge of various food in the fridge and not enough to really make a dinner with so I decided to mix them all together, add some sauce and put in crockpot to heat up. I added some more veggies to it when I mixed it up. Came out pretty tasty and had quite a bit once all mixed together.

I read about a lady who collects leftovers and puts them all in a bag in the freezer. When it gets full, she makes a goulash or soup out of it. Pretty clever way to not waste food!

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15141 on: August 03, 2022, 12:05:19 PM »
We ran some earplugs through the wash. Good as new!

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15142 on: August 03, 2022, 08:20:46 PM »
We ran some earplugs through the wash. Good as new!

I did that with my small pocket knife. Clean!
*mine was by accident*

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15143 on: August 03, 2022, 09:10:24 PM »
Got a free lunch yesterday at a work event, and we had enough left over that I had a second free lunch today.

I washed out some plastic drink bottles to fill with juice from a large grocery store jug instead of buying the single serving ones in the cafeteria (work fridge isn't big enough for a jug of juice).

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15144 on: August 04, 2022, 12:03:17 AM »
Figured out a way to drill a 1 inch hole in my concrete wall without having to go buy a hammer drill. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15145 on: August 05, 2022, 09:27:04 AM »
Harvested my own grown potatoes.

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15146 on: August 05, 2022, 10:19:01 AM »
Someone complained that my footwear was rather, "unfashionable". The next week, found a new pair of good looking Air Force 1's in my size a block from home on the street in a free pile. Got a compliment the next day from the same friend who teased me earlier.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15147 on: August 05, 2022, 11:53:07 AM »
Switched from an low chemical, but expensive, personal-lubricant to no chemical coconut oil. So far, the pH agrees!

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #15148 on: August 05, 2022, 12:34:16 PM »
Went to a museum.  Usually buy the book.  I always think it will look great on my coffee table, and remind me of my visit.  And that I’ll look a t it all the time (which I never do… many of them are still shrink wrapped).  Did not buy the book today.  Considered it a major win as it was breaking a habit.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15149 on: August 05, 2022, 03:48:40 PM »
Changed my HVAC filter which was a furry shade of orange like my cats.  My AC has been working hard here the last 10 days. 

I just ate some leftovers from last night’s dinner.