Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8030952 times)

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #14950 on: April 26, 2022, 09:22:00 AM »
We timed a large purchase with a 35%-off discount

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14951 on: April 26, 2022, 12:24:25 PM »
Did a bunch of work around the house and yard.  I think my wife knows how to motivate me, by casually dropping the line, "Maybe we should just pay someone to do ____." 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14952 on: April 28, 2022, 07:25:15 AM »
Whenever I place an order at Walmart I make sure to buy $35 minimum to avoid shipping costs.

Used a 20% off coupon to buy my dog prescription drugs from Chewy. I had two prescriptions, one being Heart worm pills which are a bit expensive. However, I ordered prescription dog food and that was NOT covered with the coupon.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14953 on: April 28, 2022, 07:46:44 AM »
Today I ordered a new batch of motor oil for my car.  After looking at my preferred online vendor, I google the price and found a similar vendor with slightly lower price in the search engine.  One I looked at their site I saw that vendor 2 had been acquired by vendor 1... but they had a "please stay as a customer"-link, so my already filled shopping cart at vendor 1 was reduced in price by 5 %.   Good result of a quick google search. :)

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14954 on: April 28, 2022, 11:29:11 AM »
Our barber agreed to teach my wife how to cut my hair!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14955 on: April 28, 2022, 12:37:09 PM »
Well, I saved money but it was a surprise. I ordered some stuff from Walmart, kidney beans and pickled beets and they almost doubled the amount they delivered. No idea what was up with that. It wasn't complicated. Like 8 cans of one and 6 cans of another. They delivered 14 cans of one and 12 cans of the other! Must be modern math! LOL! This is the second time they have messed up my order. It is when they hand deliver it, not when things are shipped. Shipping is another issue. They never pack well and every can is dented and typically no packing materials. Don't get me started on glass jars. I never do that anymore unless I want a box full of liquid!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14956 on: April 28, 2022, 10:23:42 PM »
I ordered some stuff from Walmart, kidney beans and pickled beets and they almost doubled the amount they delivered.

Good thing it is non-perishables! Imagine if it was seven heads of lettuce or something...

This week:

Went to a free concert on Tuesday with friends. One of them gave me a great money saving coupon code for something else, so that was a double win.

Used a coupon to get a free Shackburger before it expired (...the coupon, not the burger. I mean, I guess both?)

Used my public library Culture Pass to get free concert tickets for me and a friend tonight; and I told another friend about it so he could also attend with his wife - total value ~$120. I had a friend from Europe urging me to go to this because she's a big fan of his, so it was really lucky we could all go for free.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14957 on: April 28, 2022, 10:53:04 PM »
I'm using my extra yarn to knit socks. No need to buy socks anymore!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #14958 on: April 29, 2022, 08:39:15 AM »
Called the store about a sale. I bought something three days ago, then today received a 15% coupon in my email. Retailer runs frequent sales. Store said they will refund the difference. It was a big purchase so the call was worth $90 to me.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14959 on: April 29, 2022, 08:51:29 AM »
We scoured the web and found an item we needed to replace on sale!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14960 on: April 29, 2022, 02:29:57 PM »
Used Froogle to compare prices on car parts our family car needs.

Saved about $50-$75 on the parts source (shipping, taxes, parts prices).

And then saved the price of installation b/c I'll do the work in my driveway.

Will be using a mix of basic quality tools that I have collected over the years since I was a teenager in the 1980s.

And the specialty tool I need is offered as a free loaner tool by the local auto parts store I do business with. The don't sell the particular auto parts I need for this task this time. Normally there is a high chance they'd get my business.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14961 on: April 30, 2022, 07:42:47 AM »
We wanted to make homemade ice cream cones. Some of the materials online, including stainless steel cones on which to roll new cones, cost in excess of $50! We found a similarly shaped piece of hard foam at a craft store, covered it in aluminum foil, and made our own rolling cones for under $12!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14962 on: May 01, 2022, 05:40:25 AM »
There was a multi-family garage sale in our compound today. Purchased new-to-us clothes for DD, as she had outgrown all of her old stuff. Total cost for several skirts, tops, and sweaters -- $15!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14963 on: May 01, 2022, 09:32:52 AM »
Noticed that flights had dropped for our vacation in June. Canceled & rebooked my flight, saving $60. I booked my mom/sisters using a companion fare from our credit card. I could *try* to save $100 on their flights, but it gets messy with the companion fare, so I left that one as is.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14964 on: May 01, 2022, 09:47:56 AM »
I stopped by a garage sale in my neighborhood yesterday as I was heading out to run some errands. It didn't look like they had much, but I stopped anyway.  I was thrilled to discover 5 brand-new BBQ skewers, for which I paid $1. I have promised to bring the S'more supplies to the October 22 Moab Meetup. We were a smaller group last time, so the four I have were plenty. It looks like we are going to be a much larger group this year and I want to be prepared.

More on Moab Meetup 2022 here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/moab-meetup-october-2022/

Today, we are going to pick up barstools for bonus kid's new place. They are $299 each on the CB2 website. We'll be paying $60 each. Thank you, Craigslist.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14965 on: May 02, 2022, 09:56:49 AM »
Argued with the manager at a local shop that was requiring us to buy their reusable bags and obtained permission to bag our own order. Yes we care about the unnecessary $1.50!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14966 on: May 02, 2022, 06:57:30 PM »
Took leftovers to work for lunch. I'd fallen off the mustachian wagon lately and hadn't been packing a lunch. Buying from a shop is expensive! Then DP reminded me that I have ingredients to make some dishes that pack well so it's not just sandwich after sandwich in my packed lunch.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14967 on: May 03, 2022, 11:43:50 AM »
Eating more leftover from a bbq this weekend for dinner

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #14968 on: May 03, 2022, 03:12:21 PM »
Was to lazy to make it to the store before we had family over and discovered enough salad and pea shoots in the garden for a bit bowl full.
Everything else I had in the fridge.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #14969 on: May 03, 2022, 07:06:20 PM »
Updated the annual mileage for my car insurance, which apparently saves me $16 a month. Was always unable to do so online, but then they asked to update my personal info and there it was.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14970 on: May 07, 2022, 11:13:51 PM »
Visiting my parents for mother's day weekend, mom requested these oatmeal walnut cookies I make. She didn't have quite enough oats, but they had some granola that they'd bought - and apparently didn't like, because it was recently expired. It didn't taste or smell rancid so I went ahead and picked the dried fruit out of a cup of it and subbed it for the remainder of the oats we needed. So instead of running to the store to buy oats, I used something that my mom would have thrown away. And the cookies came out great! I couldn't tell a difference, even though there were definitely some extra bits in the granola (almonds, sunflower seeds, grains, etc.).

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14971 on: May 08, 2022, 11:09:45 AM »
Visiting my parents for mother's day weekend, mom requested these oatmeal walnut cookies I make. She didn't have quite enough oats, but they had some granola that they'd bought - and apparently didn't like, because it was recently expired. It didn't taste or smell rancid so I went ahead and picked the dried fruit out of a cup of it and subbed it for the remainder of the oats we needed. So instead of running to the store to buy oats, I used something that my mom would have thrown away. And the cookies came out great! I couldn't tell a difference, even though there were definitely some extra bits in the granola (almonds, sunflower seeds, grains, etc.).

If you google Martha Stewart Everything But the Kitchen Sink cookies you'll find various versions.  You make a basic cookie dough (flour, butter, sugars) and add "stuff" to it.  "Stuff" can include raisins, dried fruit of any kind, nuts of any kind, pretzels, chocolate or other sweet chips,  coconut flakes, etc.  I made them several times early in the pandemic when I wasn't grocery shopping to use up random bits of things and have cookies.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14972 on: May 08, 2022, 01:04:00 PM »
Well, at this point I can't say if I saved money or not but I know I am spending a LOT of money!

UGH, the price I paid last year for home heating oil was $2.75 a gallon. I locked in for the season and the price stays the same whether prices go up or down. I was pretty pleased about it even though it went up considerable from the year before I had locked in at. Home heating oil, at my oil company, is being offered at $4.99 a gallon. Oil in other areas I live in is around $5.50+ and In NY and Maine, I have heard prices are around $6 a gallon! I am freaking out! I was hoping prices would come down and I could avoid this huge increase. But I am afraid the prices are going to go to $6 or more a gallon. UGH!!! I went back and forth in my head and definitely didn't want to do it but finally bit the bullet and signed up for it. This is a contract so I have to buy it for that price for a year. If I didn't do it for sure the price will go up. Now that I have signed up, the price could come down. It is a  gamble to see if I SAVED money! My hot water is on this system too. This is the highest price I have ever paid for oil! People are going to be in for a rude awakening when they realize home heating oil is out of control! I have hot water baseboard heat so it can't be turned off when we have frigid temps or the pipes could freeze.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14973 on: May 08, 2022, 03:41:59 PM »
1. Instead of running out to buy three strings of outdoor garden lights, I raided my light stash and discovered two light curtain walls I picked up on clearance at Big Lots three years ago. I wanted them in the living room window but it just never happened - chalk that one up to use what you have:).
Can't wait to see what it looks like tonight.
Makes an inviting warm-light backdrop for the hanging plants in front of our white fence.

I've been doing a great job of using up what I have - this has also led to serious clutter/ stash reduction which is a good thing.

2. I'm finally using the colorful Macrame Plant Hangers I got as a gift ten years ago - better late than never:). I love them but didn't have any place to use them nor did I have the plant collection then that I have now.
Got three more to go - one red, one turquoise and one natural.

* DIY garden decor ideas - This is what happens when you get sucked in by a youtube project which used some small terracotta pots for a clever hanging baby succulent display. I created my own version of it with my Aloe babies since I had all the material on hand already.
* At the recent plant festival they sold driftwood and other natural wood pieces to mount orchids and use for plant display. I've got plenty of natural material to play with... no cost to me.
* Re-use - re-cyle
Turns out that a good size, thrifted, black iron, five candle holder makes a lovely display stand for small terracotta pots with succulents and other plant babies. So yeah, I'm playing.

3. Spray painted two chairs, a small table and four metal lanterns - looks like new and it's always fun to change the color.
Past color favorites were turquoise and black - this year it seems to be lime green and antique white.

Make do - I used up all the paint from several years ago, but I also purchased a few new cans. Saves money since I'm not throwing out rusty lanterns or slightly damaged plastic chairs with mildew stains.
This was the last of way too many paint projects for this year. I was glad that Mr. R. sanded some of the projects for me.
If I were to guess I spent about $40 for paint but all the garden furniture looks like new and will last a few more years.

4. Indulgence
I found the perfect swing (egg) chair for Mr. R's birthday.
The savings -25% off at the store and I negotiated another 10% and used my 3% rewards card.

5. Held out for the perfect watering can -
instead of buying the really cute one at the discount store that cost less but didn't have the features I wanted need.
A removable spray/pour spout is an essential feature to name but one. Yes, I spent time at three discount stores before I found what I was looking for.
Sometimes one does not wish to compromise or settle in order to save money.

It is a tool and I considered it important enough to get the right one for the job.
In this case, it turned out that I still ended up with a good deal at the discount store.

6. Free plants
Propagation, division and self-seeders, not to mention the occasional garden gift from the birds and Mother Nature, sharing with my neighbors and the occasional freebie in my neighborhood.

*It means I saved a ton of money and have almost enough plants for a large new garden bed/area.
It means I don't feel bad about spending $40 on a (rather rare) plant I really wanted, especially since I've learned how to propagate that plant already.

OF COURSE
7. I harvested, cooked, and froze plenty of veggies and herbs from the garden. I use fresh as much as possible off the vine and off the tree.
8. Off to cancel a monthly subscription for $6.80 that I stopped using six months ago.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14974 on: May 08, 2022, 05:30:43 PM »
I've picked about 10-12 lbs of fresh morel mushrooms in the woods near our home in last week or so.
We've eaten a bunch, gave a bunch away to family and friends and are preserving a few for later use.

Considering they sell in the stores for $50-70 per lb, I think we've come out pretty good on this.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14975 on: May 09, 2022, 07:06:13 AM »
Planned the most efficient route for a bunch of errands requiring the vehicle

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #14976 on: May 09, 2022, 09:41:03 AM »
Made Mother's Day dinner for my mother and mother in law at our home instead of going out.
Although I made a fancy meal, it was obviously less costly than taking them out! I now spent around EUR 150 for a dinner for 8, while a dinner at a restaurant would easily be EUR 400!

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14977 on: May 10, 2022, 07:23:38 AM »
Worked out in the back yard with borrowed weights.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14978 on: May 10, 2022, 10:10:38 AM »
Worked out in the back yard with borrowed weights.

Borrowed weights? Now that's something only a Mustachian would ever think of.:) You're doing a great job optimizing in every area of your life!
Sure you don't wonna come over and help me wrestle with garden stones .../JK

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14979 on: May 12, 2022, 05:15:43 AM »
Packing leftovers for a road trip

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14980 on: May 12, 2022, 05:45:23 AM »
Packing leftovers for a road trip
Lol, I went out of my way to go to Winco to buy ingredients to prepare meals for an upcoming road trip. I have been working down the pantry for several months, but I kind of freaked out that so many of my bulk food jars were empty. The road trip just got pushed up a week, so I chose to make a dedicated trip, which I rarely do.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14981 on: May 12, 2022, 06:24:50 AM »
We've made a habit of packing lunch before heading to the boatyard so we don't have to come home for lunch. Our commute is 4 miles.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14982 on: May 12, 2022, 11:43:17 AM »
Submitted the paperwork for a fairly substantial state tax credit and confirmed with the state that the funding is still available.  Once I get the actual tax certificate, I can reduce the amount of state withholding to $0. 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14983 on: May 14, 2022, 07:23:14 AM »
Went to the local charity shop and spent €7 on two books I've both wanted for a long time. Then headed over to the clothing department and spent €5 on a blouse for work (no visible wear) €5 on a dress for work (new with tags) and €10 on a dress and hat for the weekend, both in good condition.

I think €27 is still a lot of money to spend on a "shopping trip" but I suppose that's a MPP.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14984 on: May 14, 2022, 01:56:21 PM »
I got sick and wasn't able to go on a day trip I had planned. I'm feeling better now but missed the carpool start time. I'm saving the money I would have spent on the trip. Since I'm stuck on the couch, I'm making a list of items I'd like to have at a store I have two gift cards for so no cash out of pocket.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14985 on: May 15, 2022, 06:05:32 PM »
-Converted grocery store rewards to a $20 off purchase
-Drove the 15 year old to a reffing game, where he earns money. Used electric car, so no gas cost, & got in a walk & some exercise, maximizing my time.
-Helped the 16 year old find snacks for a packed lunch. He was heading to an all day work training (summer camp counselor), and I was showing him the ropes of packing a lunch for a work day.

These days, our frugal wins are a combination of our own, and helping the teens learn good habits.

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #14986 on: May 15, 2022, 07:51:56 PM »
I wanted more French language content to watch so I downloaded a free French media app to my TV (arte) instead of signing up for a subscription to another streaming channel. There are a lot of random interesting documentaries to watch!

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14987 on: May 16, 2022, 03:30:22 PM »
Borrowed more books from the library

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #14988 on: May 16, 2022, 05:08:53 PM »
Well I did it over a year ago - but got a check for $397 dollars from a Facebook class action lawsuit.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14989 on: May 16, 2022, 08:46:23 PM »
I batch cooked some pantry & fridge ingredients into meals for the next couple of days. I saved money by not buying new groceries and again by not wasting the food I have.

Filled out and turned in paperwork at new job to have retirement withdrawn pre-tax.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14990 on: May 17, 2022, 06:00:14 AM »
I picked up a few extra veggies and canned goods for free from expat families who are leaving the country.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14991 on: May 17, 2022, 10:46:12 AM »
GrubHub posted a coupon for a $15 "free lunch" for anyone in NYC, so I got enough free food for a couple of meals. :-) 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14992 on: May 18, 2022, 06:28:46 AM »
Not today, but a few days ago, we ate a trout that DH had caught, sweet peppers for half price and fancy small potatoes for half price.

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #14993 on: May 18, 2022, 06:39:26 AM »
The garden is in.  Last year we were able to freeze a decent portion of it.  According to my calculations, we will eat through all of it before the new produce comes in.  That is the first time that has ever happened.  I'm guessing that since I FIREd in 2020, I cook more and we eat out less.  Go figure.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14994 on: May 18, 2022, 07:57:21 AM »
We're making fish ourselves instead of eating it out.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14995 on: May 18, 2022, 02:29:31 PM »
-Charged our car for free at work
-Ate leftovers
-Organized our snack containers in the pantry, so our teenagers can more easily see snacks & don't complain that there aren't any in the pantry ;-)

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14996 on: May 18, 2022, 04:08:30 PM »
Picked up several pounds of ground coffee being given away on our local Buy Nothing group. 

Did my own yard work.

Sold my old inflatable kayak, for $30 less than I originally purchased it for.  Served me well for a couple of years, but now I have the room for my hardshell sea kayak. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14997 on: May 18, 2022, 09:20:15 PM »
I got supervisor approval and turned in the paperwork to have my cell phone bill paid by my company. They're offering $80/month and my Mint bill is only $180/year. They wanted a copy of the 'monthly bill' which I don't have since I pay yearly. Fingers crossed it's just a formality to prove I have a phone bill and I'll get the full amount, thereby making money. Worst case scenario they pay for the $15 per month and at least I have one less expense.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14998 on: May 19, 2022, 06:02:42 AM »
Making dinner out of leftovers!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14999 on: May 19, 2022, 06:35:30 PM »
Also having leftovers for dinner. And, I've lost some weight, thanks to a consistent workout routine (benefit of COVID/WFH), and have a bunch of summery tops & workout tank tops that are too baggy on me. I have started tying them in a cute knot on the side, which makes them more fitted & less baggy. It's saved 5 or so shirts from my wardrobe.