Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029445 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #14750 on: January 24, 2022, 10:43:12 AM »
The other day, a delivery van got stuck in our driveway, while he didn't have to deliver at our place. I through handsfull of all our grid in front of his wheels and finished pur whole bag. Eventually it was his driving style that got him not to get out.

I had to buy a new bag of grid. I contacted the package company, explained the situation and sent them my bill. They say they will pay it next week. Of course my old bag of grid was only 10% full when I emptied it, so now I will get 90% for free.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14751 on: January 25, 2022, 02:33:13 PM »
Picked a few strawberries & some kale from our garden. I've been ripening some of the green tomatoes indoors, an was able to use those in a salad today. I'm getting excited for gardening season - soon!

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #14752 on: January 25, 2022, 05:03:15 PM »
I bought supplies to paint the interior of my house. I have to call in the pros to patch up some walls that had wood paneling on them but I'm going to do the painting myself.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14753 on: January 26, 2022, 08:52:13 AM »
We buy supplements from Amazon and use subscribe and save to save additional $. Because the price of supplements has been volatile, we spent time yesterday analyzing whether we could switch brands to save money and found three options with better pricing!

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #14754 on: January 26, 2022, 07:50:48 PM »
Bought a vacuum sealer for $60. Hopefully this will save me money in the long run by not (1) throwing away food that I haven't gotten around to eat or freeze before it spoils and (2) throwing away frozen food that got freezer-burnt. Also (3) meal prep, people.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #14755 on: January 27, 2022, 12:11:58 PM »
* replaced broken back door knob and deadbolt
* harvested tangerines from our tree
* accepted the gift of a nice puffy coat for one of the kids

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #14756 on: January 27, 2022, 01:32:48 PM »
I cut up an old memory foam mattress pad to make a dog bed for the crate I bought for when my g/f and dog come over for the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #14757 on: January 27, 2022, 04:13:12 PM »
Our township gives free boxes of shelf stable food to seniors. We took them with us to Florida and have been using them. We’ve had Raisin Bran for breakfast, soup for lunch. Breakfast bars for snacks. There was some Amaretto and Peach Schapps left behind in our condo , so I made a cocktail with Sprite, amaretto, Peach Schapps and a little cartoon of orange tangerine juice from the box and had crackers with hummus from the box as a cocktail nibble.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #14758 on: January 27, 2022, 05:12:32 PM »
I bought a few cans of expanding foam in hopes of finding and plugging holes behind my dishwasher. There's a big draft coming from outside and the whole kitchen is super cold. While it's not heated, it's open, and makes the whole downstairs cold, plus my home office upstairs just above it. I strongly suspect it doesn't help my electricity bill (sarcasm).

Hopefully this will work. If the holes are behind the cabinets, I'll refer to my landlords and hope they care enough to try and do something about it. But that would probably be an other order of magnitude in terms of work and cost :(

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14759 on: January 27, 2022, 06:06:05 PM »
Remembered that I had an item to return by Feb 1 or I wouldn't be able to get my money back. $24.

Unfortunately I'll have to spend it again as it's something I need and it was defective. But definitely better than forgetting and having to spend it twice!

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #14760 on: January 27, 2022, 06:52:48 PM »
I switched my car insurance to my new home owner's insurance company. It's about $100 cheaper per year for dramatically better coverage.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14761 on: January 27, 2022, 07:18:49 PM »
After work doing tree cutting and land clearing I didn't stop at the diner for a burger and tots; instead I came home and made a chicken/veggie stir fry.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #14762 on: January 28, 2022, 02:18:22 AM »
DH did a minor tweak to the back door so it closes better. It will be less cold in the evening and hopefully help with getting our energy bill down!

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14763 on: January 28, 2022, 09:08:11 AM »
Kitty likes to hang out by the back door where her food bowl is, in spite of cold. I hacked up a styrofoam block and used some rag towels to make her a super insulated bed. Her old bones seem to appreciate it.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14764 on: January 29, 2022, 05:55:28 AM »
I bought a few cans of expanding foam in hopes of finding and plugging holes behind my dishwasher. There's a big draft coming from outside and the whole kitchen is super cold. While it's not heated, it's open, and makes the whole downstairs cold, plus my home office upstairs just above it. I strongly suspect it doesn't help my electricity bill (sarcasm).

Hopefully this will work. If the holes are behind the cabinets, I'll refer to my landlords and hope they care enough to try and do something about it. But that would probably be an other order of magnitude in terms of work and cost :(

When the microwave in our shoddily renovated (1980s) house died, we removed it and found that there was NO sheetrock, let alone insulation, behind our kitchen cabinets.  The previous owners just installed the cabinets directly on the studs.  That may be what happened to your house.

Otterwins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14765 on: January 29, 2022, 02:46:07 PM »
I downloaded the Kroger app so I could use the digital coupons on items around the store. While I mostly buy organic produce there, I realized that they stock many of the organic flour products I spend much more on at our local Earthfare (organic/health store). I just have to scan the coupons with the app, and it often saves a dollar or more on products (their oatmeal was almost $3 cheaper). Going to save my receipts and comparison shop over the next months.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14766 on: January 29, 2022, 02:53:06 PM »
I downloaded the Kroger app so I could use the digital coupons on items around the store. While I mostly buy organic produce there, I realized that they stock many of the organic flour products I spend much more on at our local Earthfare (organic/health store). I just have to scan the coupons with the app, and it often saves a dollar or more on products (their oatmeal was almost $3 cheaper). Going to save my receipts and comparison shop over the next months.

I miss having Kroger for my primary store.  Their coupons are often good, for whole foods like carrots, eggs, potatoes and often apply to store brands, and once they learn your shopping habits they will send coupons tailored to you.  They also do the "$5 off 15 spent in dairy"  and that sort of thing. We also found their gas rewards more usable than our local store. 

Otterwins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14767 on: January 29, 2022, 05:53:39 PM »

I miss having Kroger for my primary store.  Their coupons are often good, for whole foods like carrots, eggs, potatoes and often apply to store brands, and once they learn your shopping habits they will send coupons tailored to you.  They also do the "$5 off 15 spent in dairy"  and that sort of thing. We also found their gas rewards more usable than our local store.

Good to know! I'll see how the app adapts since I've only used it once. I'm trying to get my food budget down to $40 per week (for just me). The last 2 weeks I've spend $70 (ugh), and today I spent $50. It's hard to get organic and high nutrient foods to be reasonable. I'm going to keep trying different strategies and comparing week-to-week.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14768 on: January 29, 2022, 07:23:23 PM »

Good to know! I'll see how the app adapts since I've only used it once. I'm trying to get my food budget down to $40 per week (for just me). The last 2 weeks I've spend $70 (ugh), and today I spent $50. It's hard to get organic and high nutrient foods to be reasonable. I'm going to keep trying different strategies and comparing week-to-week.

I got to that level and lower with Kroger but that was several years ago and I wasn’t doing much organic. I did learn which days they marked things down it was rare I paid full price for anything. But I wasn’t paying much attention to organic so ymmv. That Kroger also had a bulk section and I was on foot carrying everything in a backpack, so it was awesome to be able to get recipe sized portions of things. I had fun competing with myself to see how low I could get my food bill for the month and how far I could stretch their freebies, coupons and mark downs. I learned a lot and had almost zero food waste for several years.  In our life situation now we need to keep more inventory at home and we still do pretty good on food waste but we could do better, and the discount and sale opportunities just aren’t what they were!

I guess I should post something on topic too.  To save money today I did not stop for fast food while running errands.  This evening we made some no bake cookies for a treat instead of running to oven to bake something and we planned what we’ll cook tomorrow and some meals for through out the week.  I dug into the back of the pantry cupboard and got out a couple things that are getting older to make sure we use them up. 

At thrift I picked up a pair of new in the package cream colored insulated blackout curtains to use once the baby gets here.  My spouse enthusiastically installed them already and they should keep the bedroom warmer. They were really discounted secondhand vs new and should provide some energy savings too. We’re in the middle of a Very Cold couple weeks, so the timing is great.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14769 on: January 30, 2022, 02:24:57 AM »
I walked to the grocery store instead of ordering grocery delivery. Got my steps in for the day and saved the $1 delivery fee.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14770 on: January 30, 2022, 02:12:52 PM »
GARDEN
1. I resisted the temptation of the enticing spring seed catalogs and chose to use the seeds I already have instead.
A quick look at my potential order says I saved $59.
2. We saved $80 by choosing to cut and trim our bananas and palms ourselves. Took us just shy of two hours.
3. I have enough compost made from kitchen scraps to not have to buy additional plant food. $30 savings.
4. Cut my annual (moisture) soil and fertilizer purchase in half by re-using half or a third of the old potting soil, collecting my own organic leaf mulch and slowly improving both the garden soil as well as having excellent fertile soil with worms for containers and in the garden.
This is the second year I saved roughly $100 plus.

I'm choosing a trip to one of the local family-owned plant nurseries instead of a cut bouquet of flowers for my birthday...:)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14771 on: January 30, 2022, 04:28:25 PM »
-Used the last of a grocery store gift card to pick up potatoes & cauliflower for a curry tonight.
-Made lemon curd way back when from our Meyer lemons, & froze a bunch. Noticed the lemons are almost ripe again, so got out the curd & made lemon muffins today. It was a good reminder to use it up
-I had a coupon for a free ice cream at the grocery store, and picked up some Magnum mini bars for the hungry teens. They were very excited.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #14772 on: January 30, 2022, 11:16:22 PM »
Got a new (to me) vacuum sealer. I've been throwing away so much food over the years because of freezer burn, or because fresh meat doesn't keep long enough for me to eat it and I hate going to the grocery store more than once a week (single people woes!).

No more!

It will also allow me to buy spices in bulk instead of little tiny overpriced bottles.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:10:54 PM by pasadenafr »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14773 on: January 31, 2022, 11:51:59 AM »
Used some Amazon digital credits that I had left from xmas shopping to buy Quit Like a Millionaire for my Kindle before they expired.  I didn't quite have enough for it to be completely free, but <$4, I'll take it.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14774 on: February 02, 2022, 06:52:18 PM »

Are you living in my house?? :) I used a can of spray foam yesterday to plug the holes in my kitchen plumbing that are on an exterior wall. The holes were so big that there was an actual breeze of cold air coming in. It was the first day it was in the temperature range recommended on the can. And just in time, as the huge winter storm moved in today and we have lots of wind and snow. It is amazing how much difference a $3 can (that I 'bought' with a gift card from a rebate app) made! I did the bathroom pipes and the laundry room holes around the dryer ducting. I still need more attic insulation, but it's a free solution that will help my natural gas bill a bit until I have the money saved up for bigger insulating projects.

Got a free lunch at work today.

Planned my grocery shopping around my needs balanced with free and reduced items on sales apps and coupons. I've been keeping my grocery/household/cleaning products budget to under $50/week for the past year. This month I'm aiming for $40/month.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14775 on: February 06, 2022, 02:38:52 AM »
Fixed the cat's food bowl. We noticed that he stopped eating again but he seemed healthy otherwise. So we checked the food bowl which needed new batteries. But it still didn't work correctly and I noticed water inside. So according to my husband I put it in the oven for an hour at low warm temperatures. This finally helped. Now both cats are eating fine again and we don't need to find a new food bowl (which are also currently unavailable).

(We do have this fancy food bowl so that the greedy cat doesn't steal the food of the other cat who likes small portions during the day)

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14776 on: February 06, 2022, 08:51:14 AM »
Dinner was a couple of chops from the freezer that we bought on sale a few months ago.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14777 on: February 06, 2022, 01:35:06 PM »
Another thing that saves money besides vaccuum sealers is plastic wrap.  Wrap the meat tightly and place the set of the wrapped pieces in a 1 gallon zip lock for the freezer.   Also works great for veggies for the veggie bin int he fridge.  .. 1/2 cut onions/tomatos/avocadoes etc..

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14778 on: February 07, 2022, 08:47:52 AM »
Cleaned and dusted

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14779 on: February 07, 2022, 10:57:05 AM »
Made fudge from ingredients I already had around the house.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14780 on: February 09, 2022, 09:32:09 AM »
Researched placed to buy reasonably priced groceries during an upcoming excursion

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #14781 on: February 10, 2022, 11:06:20 PM »
* Picked up $0.12 in coins off the ground.

* Used a misshapen lemon (because of citrus bud mites) to clean/freshen garbage disposal.

* Potted up a rooted opuntia paddle that I found buried in leaf litter while helping clean up a neighbor’s pool deck. My friend makes a cactus salsa from these.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14782 on: February 11, 2022, 08:50:47 AM »
Made cookies for a family gathering with ingredients from around the house.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14783 on: February 11, 2022, 08:53:26 AM »
* Used a misshapen lemon (because of citrus bud mites) to clean/freshen garbage disposal.
Isn't the juice of a misshapen lemon still perfectly edible?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14784 on: February 11, 2022, 04:50:44 PM »
Made my own garden decor - wind chime - from a pretty cobalt blue wine bottle that I had saved eons ago.
I used sparkly glass beads and craft wire from my stash. I even had hooks and a chain for hanging that I unearthed in the garden shed supplies.
No money spent - but a very satisfying, creative project, glowing in the sunshine and at sunset.

So now I have three blue glass bottles hanging in the bushes lining a pathway - two wind chimes are up already and the third is simply a blue bottle but in a sleek cat shape that I plan to embellish rather sparingly - hoping to finish that one this weekend. 

I am planning on one more blue bottle perhaps with seashells and mother of pearl from my stash and one crackled white glass bottle with blue and gold artwork already on it - using the last of my blue glass beads and some gold wire.
That's the end of my blue bottle projects.

Spring gardening is in full swing so I'm not sure when I'll have time to play again. Right now I'm just sprucing up the garden furniture, sanding, and painting to make it last one more year. I guess that counts as saving money too.
Florida is rough on outdoor furniture everything rusts or rots.

Anyway, slowly using up my stash and not adding to it counts as using up and making do and recycling for an art project is creative fun and totally free.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14785 on: February 11, 2022, 06:11:08 PM »
I’m on vacation and did not rideshare anywhere today but instead hoofed it to a grocery for provisions and a Greek spot for lunch. 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14786 on: February 11, 2022, 07:05:51 PM »
I walked into CVS to pick up my prescription.  Over the phone they said they applied GoodRX and it came to $62.   The app says $48.  I gave them the code from the phone and got them to change it to $48.

They do this often.  You really have to walk into the pharmacy yourself and show them the app for them to scan the latest code there.

If I didn't use GoodRX.com my prescription insurance would of charged over a $100 for the medication.

Pays to shop insurances and drug stores each time you need a medication.. So sad there is no regulation and have to jump through these hoops every time.  But well worth it.

I picked up two medications (90 day supply) today for $101.74.  Without GoodRx I would of paid over $200.   I love GoodRx. It's free.  But you do have to check the prices every single time and make sure the pharmacies give you the right price, don't take their word for it.   Also you need to scroll through the list of drug stores for each particular drug on GoodRx, to make sure you go the the right one.   For example, one particular drug I needed was discounted to $40 or so at CVS with GoodRX but at Costco it was only $17.    So if I am not paying zero dollars for for the drug with my prescription insurance, I am always looking up the latest price on GoodRx, and go to the appropriate pharmacy in the list.  Saves me lots of money.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 07:13:15 PM by JenniferW »

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14787 on: February 12, 2022, 09:25:36 AM »
Worked toward selling our second car

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #14788 on: February 12, 2022, 11:19:19 PM »
Yes but it’s peak lemon season and we are living in a lemon deluge so we can use a few for cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14789 on: February 13, 2022, 12:27:57 AM »
Yes but it’s peak lemon season and we are living in a lemon deluge so we can use a few for cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ooh, a lemon deluge sounds deliciously delightful.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14790 on: February 13, 2022, 10:35:19 AM »
Made plans to carpool to a family gathering next weekend with other local family.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #14791 on: February 13, 2022, 01:21:10 PM »
Convinced my sibling that we can drive back home (1h drive) after a day of skiing, and back there the next day, instead of booking a hotel room 40 minutes away (lol). Also means dining at home instead of going out, double win.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14792 on: February 13, 2022, 09:31:04 PM »
Fixed/tuned my mountain bike myself.  Haven't learned how to tune up the suspension yet, but I managed the derailleur. 

Then, fixed my son's bike.  He took a spill at a pump track yesterday and bent his derailleur hanger pretty severely.  Took quite a while, but I muscled it back into something approximating the normal shape, then re-tuned all of the gearing. 

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14793 on: February 14, 2022, 04:45:31 AM »
I filled up my gas tank in advance of possible world events causing gas prices to go higher.  I also redeemed some rewards points for free ground coffee to make at home. 

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14794 on: February 14, 2022, 10:20:07 AM »
Eating leftovers from the Superbowl all day

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14795 on: February 14, 2022, 06:02:52 PM »
I did not buy lunch out even though I *really* *really* wanted to. I was planning on a catered lunch at work, so didn't pack anything. No catered lunch. I ate from the random stash of snacks I keep there instead of spending money.

Then I came home and tried a new recipe for dinner that was delicious. Half of that is now packed up and ready to go for lunch tomorrow so I'm not tempted again.

I put the green onion and lettuce ends in a bowl of water to regenerate. I have quite a little crop of these already going in a sunny window to get me through to outdoor planting season.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14796 on: February 15, 2022, 07:36:22 AM »
Picked bok choy from our planter garden, & used that as a side to dinner. The bok choy was grown from replanting the bottoms of store purchased bok choy, and grew threw the winter with zero watering or tending, so it's the ultimate freebie.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14797 on: February 15, 2022, 09:25:28 AM »
Eating superbowl leftovers in this morning's omelettes and tonight's dinner

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14798 on: February 16, 2022, 08:05:12 AM »
We saved our trip to a local fish monger outside of bike range to coincide with lunch nearby with a former colleague (her treat) to save money on gas

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14799 on: February 17, 2022, 08:18:50 AM »
Retrieving some adventure items today that we store in a family member's cavernous basement instead of a storage provider

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!