Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 4570582 times)

abbuyt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13650 on: November 05, 2019, 08:59:57 PM »
Going to take my friend to a movie tonight. I will use my points for both our tickets which will save $20.00.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13651 on: November 06, 2019, 10:37:01 AM »
I had an umbrella on my wish list because mine broke recently.  At today's free product lunch they were giving out free umbrellas (in addition to the usual free lunch and free continuing education points that I need for maintaining my professional license).  I like when stuff I need magically provides itself, and it's a better umbrella than I would probably have bought...even though it's orange and has advertising on it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13652 on: November 06, 2019, 08:14:17 PM »
-Drove electric car for work, & charged for free.
-Used all of my international travel miles accrued from work trips to book flights for four to Whistler over ski break. I ended up paying about $300 for the taxes, fees, & a thousand or so miles I was short.
-Made dinner out of leftovers (freezer)
-Stocked up on gift cards for a restaurant we frequent (particularly when I travel, my husband takes the kids). While dining out it & of itself isn't a money saver, this is a planned for expense as part of my travel, and it's great to be able to save a bit on our yearly spend.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13653 on: November 09, 2019, 10:31:25 AM »
Achieved a 50% discount on something I wanted to purchase online (replacement jeans because I'm down to one good pair). Stacked a discount code, a discounted gift card (after searching 4 different sites), and free shipping by picking up in-store (which I can reach with my transit pass).

Bonus: should be more eco-friendly/less packaging waste to have the jeans delivered to their store than individually shipped to me.

John Galt incarnate!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13654 on: November 09, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »
This morning I bought some 4-pound  bags of sugar for $1.50 which is 37.5 cents/pound.

Right next to them was a 25-pound sack priced @ $19.95 which is  ~80 cents per pound.

This seemed odd because usually bulk pricing is lower than for  the same stuff in smaller amounts.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13655 on: November 09, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »
This morning I bought some 4-pound  bags of sugar for $1.50 which is 37.5 cents/pound.

Right next to them was a 25-pound sack priced @ $19.95 which is  ~80 cents per pound.

This seemed odd because usually bulk pricing is lower than for  the same stuff in smaller amounts.

Our grocery stores have to post unit pricing.  Sometimes the store brand is as expensive or almost as expensive as a name brand, especially if the name brand is on sale.  It is always educational - and as you found, often the smaller packs are cheaper by unit.  Plus easier to carry.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13656 on: November 11, 2019, 02:05:49 PM »

Our grocery stores have to post unit pricing.  Sometimes the store brand is as expensive or almost as expensive as a name brand, especially if the name brand is on sale.  It is always educational - and as you found, often the smaller packs are cheaper by unit.  Plus easier to carry.

When I look at toothpaste, I sometimes see that the biggest tubes are the cheapest per unit, and other times the extra small sizes. So at home we very between the different sizes. Next time also a different brand, because that was the cheapest last time I shopped it.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #13657 on: November 11, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »
Went to my ceramics class- which is costing me $50 a year- including materials. Started making Christmas ornaments for a retiree lunch I’ll be going to- they haven’t been fired yet- but look pretty good.
Used coupons and CVS bucks to get  $20 worth of toiletries for 1.99.
We had been renting a router for cable internet at $13 a month. Husband bought a new one for $86 and replaced it.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #13658 on: November 13, 2019, 10:19:36 PM »
-Today called in a referral for my tv/internet bundle and got both of us $50 credit. That will give me about 9 months free due to our super low current fees!
-At the grocery store, I picked the checkout clerk that I know is the most efficient. She saw my chicken with $5 off sticker and asked if there were more on the shelf. I thought she might want to buy some after her shift (we've traded tips before), but actually she wanted to tell me they are 2 for 1. I quickly grabbed another and got $25+ worth of premium chicken for less than $7. Cooked up into a great dinner that night with leftovers for lunch and second dinner ready to go.
-On vacation last week I wanted to book a massage and the price list wasn't posted they just offered their 'favorites' list.  I asked for the full price list and got many pages including a few specials such as 2-for-1 pricing if you come before noon. An easy 50% savings since we are early risers.
-Before vacation changed our own tires. Usually do this, but it was the first time doing it garage-less and bringing each tire down from a 3rd floor walkup, then bringing the other ones up at the end. Still only took 30 min total and saved so much time and hassle since the tire places get a huge appointment backlog as soon as the weather turns.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13659 on: November 14, 2019, 01:08:09 AM »
-Before vacation changed our own tires. Usually do this, but it was the first time doing it garage-less and bringing each tire down from a 3rd floor walkup, then bringing the other ones up at the end. Still only took 30 min total and saved so much time and hassle since the tire places get a huge appointment backlog as soon as the weather turns.

It is very easy to have the tires stored at home, but preferably on ground level. Then you can change yourself, even if there is unexpected early snow. Having to drive to some other place for changing tires is a hassle, but we do it sometimes if we need new tires.

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13660 on: November 14, 2019, 04:33:41 PM »
Stopped procrastinating and knocked out a couple necessary evils:
- Shopped car insurance and will be saving ~$20/mo for the same coverage levels (was on a pay per mile plan since I don’t drive much, but rates have been creeping up- surprised to find traditional car insurance is now cheaper!)
- Dealt with expired promo rate with internet company- will save $25/mo over non-promo rate

All told both chores only took about 1hr- definitely worth it to save $540 over the next year!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13661 on: November 14, 2019, 07:41:00 PM »
Neither of us went down off the mountain today.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13662 on: November 15, 2019, 04:03:13 AM »
DH replaced the Xenon headlight in the subaru himself. 150$ saved.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 01:55:32 AM by Linea_Norway »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13663 on: November 15, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »
Nagged Mr. Poundwise until he put more insulation in the roof over our living room. Now it is toasty warm, our energy bill should be lower, and the cost of the nagging was free!  (but the resentment is forever :) )

trashtalk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13664 on: November 15, 2019, 08:16:51 PM »
Replaced the broken "sun-visor clip" in our little Honda.

Harvested apples and pomegranates from the backyard.

Was gifted several pairs of pajamas in my daughter's size through our community Buy Nothing Group.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13665 on: November 17, 2019, 02:15:29 AM »
Brewing beer today.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13666 on: November 17, 2019, 02:57:12 AM »
Cleared out the pantry yesterday, came across some potatoes that had started to sprout so we had them for dinner.

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13667 on: November 17, 2019, 07:04:00 AM »
Made a batch of vegetarian samosas to freeze. They'll make for tasty comfort food on days when I don't want to cook.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13668 on: November 17, 2019, 07:33:26 AM »
Got cauliflower and potatoes on sale at the cheap supermarket yesterday and today I made cauliflower, ginger soup which we ate for lunch and will be good for a few work lunches this week.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13669 on: November 17, 2019, 10:24:00 AM »
Got cauliflower and potatoes on sale at the cheap supermarket yesterday and today I made cauliflower, ginger soup which we ate for lunch and will be good for a few work lunches this week.

Cauliflower ginger soup sounds great, need to write that down for maybe next week. Cauliflower is cheap now and it's really versatile.

We also went to the cheap supermarket today and bought food for the whole week. Spent about €30 for the whole week and have everything we need for fresh, quick, healthy homecooked meals. The last couple of weeks I was too busy for meal planning but having a plan really saves a lot of money (and energy, and stress, and time). Tomorrow we'll eat mashed potatoes mixed with raw endive, which is probably the most Dutch meal on the planet.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13670 on: November 18, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »

Cauliflower ginger soup sounds great, need to write that down for maybe next week. Cauliflower is cheap now and it's really versatile.

It's from Madhur Jaffrey's easy Indian cooking recipe book.  Yum.

And here's to eating the local foods (in your case Dutch).  At the moment we're gorging ourselves on fall foods that our local to our part of Italy - artichokes, new olive oil, cauliflour, broccoli, cabbage, pears, apples, mandarins etc.  Good and cheap.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #13671 on: November 20, 2019, 09:56:51 AM »
- DH can earn points for Delta air fare with his work flights.  I will be flying back to family by myself this christmas due to a job change on his part (RIP free air fare points...lol).  We used up the last of them on my flights.  By flying into my sisters town and riding with her to and from family (1 hour away) I am only needing to pay the 11.00 service charge!   If I had flown into the smaller town instead, we would have paid an additional 119.00.  I'll contribute to gas, so its a win win for both of us.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13672 on: November 20, 2019, 10:15:32 AM »

We also went to the cheap supermarket today and bought food for the whole week. Spent about €30 for the whole week and have everything we need for fresh, quick, healthy homecooked meals. The last couple of weeks I was too busy for meal planning but having a plan really saves a lot of money (and energy, and stress, and time). Tomorrow we'll eat mashed potatoes mixed with raw endive, which is probably the most Dutch meal on the planet.

I never thought to mix mashed potatoes with endive! I like them with sautéed cabbage.

nburns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13673 on: November 21, 2019, 02:10:22 PM »
Used my free bonus of 50,000 miles from my capital one venture card along with other accrued miles to pay  for 2 round trip flights to Iceland for the GF and myself.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13674 on: Today at 03:07:40 AM »
Filled up the car with diesel for a very low price.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13675 on: Today at 08:44:32 AM »
Fixed my bike myself! The front derailleur had suddenly stopped shifting properly - it would mostly go straight from 1 to 3 without catching on 2, and when it did catch on 2 it made a horrible grinding noise. I thought I might have to take it in (I'm still a beginner at bike repair), but I took a look at it and found that a piece of the derailleur cable cover (a metal piece that sits on the cable) had popped out of the little socket where it enters the bike frame, which probably messed up the tension. I popped it back in and everything shifts now.