Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8028778 times)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12900 on: June 03, 2019, 11:53:11 AM »
We bought used bricks for a garden project today.

We are also eating all the food in the house from today so we can spend the money we save on that same garden project - of course, it's not like we don't have the money to do so, but like true mustachians we hate to touch our savings for anything, including the things we saved up for in the first place :)

HappyCheerE

• Stubble
« Reply #12901 on: June 03, 2019, 06:37:41 PM »
I noticed what looked like a little group of scallions (4) growing in the landscaping mulch outside our apartment building, very out-of-place in the ground cover. They are scallions! I "weeded" them and we had one in tofu spinach soup and another in guacamole today. Huge and very tender compared to supermarket scallions. Yum!

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #12902 on: June 03, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
I returned cans Sunday for cash back. It was part of cleaning out the basement family activity. Far too many. But it financed another bbq byob outing and gave my kiddo her allowance.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #12903 on: June 03, 2019, 08:42:26 PM »
-- DH and I biked to and from church yesterday.  Saved gas and a bus pass or two (we have one vehicle and he arrives much, much earlier than I do, so typically I would bus it)  It's 10 miles round trip, so we got a bit of a workout too.

-- Used several dog bags from the rolls our apartment complex provides rather than our own.  Its 6 cents a bag saved! 

-- Walked around a neighborhood festival yesterday, and didn't feel like waiting in the super long lines for food. Swung by the grocery store on the way home instead.  Bought needed groceries rather than buying tacos/pizza/burgers out.

-- Our two nieces are out of state and have birthdays within a few weeks of each other.  I had previously bought easy to ship gifts, but today I wrapped them in leftover brown packaging paper, stuck the pretty cards directly to the paper as decoration (and to label each gift), and then slipped those two packages into a larger box for shipping.  Only paid one shipping charge rather than two, and I'm confident I saved at least 5-6 dollars that way.  Also spent almost no money on wrap as the wrapping supplies were free and the cards were part of a bulk box years ago.

-- Used the screen door on the balcony this morning and cooled the house with morning air.  Shut it when the house finally reached 78 degrees and the AC kicked on.

-- Realized that the Ace Hardware a block and a half from our apartment sells grain free dog food that we have used in the past.  Previously, we had been buying a more expensive brand from a pet store a short drive away, because grain free/chicken free is hard to find.  Walked to pick up the dog food and brought along a 10.00 off coupon we had received in the mail.  Instead of 80.00 on dog food this month, we spent less than 40.00!  Although I did have to drag a giant bag of dog food a block and a half home ....LOL.

-- DH wanted to grill chicken tonight, but wanted a marinade.  Rather than go to the store, I made a homemade teriyaki marinade.  Turned out delicious! 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12904 on: June 03, 2019, 09:02:39 PM »
-Arranged a ride home for a kiddo from soccer, so my husband & other son could pick me up from the airport. Saved about $25 on the Uber I'd planned to take.
-Brought home two PB&Js I had leftover from a relay I ran this weekend. My son brought both to school for lunch today.
-Decided to cash in our change at the Coinstar machine, & turned it into an Amazon gift card. We rarely use cash, so don't ever accumulate much change. It was $12, so good to have it out of the house & turned into something useful.
-I bought yearbooks for the kids (I have no idea why, but they love them & read them/refer to them all the time) & used a promo code for buying early. I noticed that the price is now $20/book higher, so my early purchase saved money.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12905 on: June 04, 2019, 12:42:00 AM »
Yesterday I had the third injection of my tic vaccin. I let DH set the injection in my arm. 8$ and hassle saved by not going to the doctor's office.

Walked to work today and will walk back.

Doing a course in mindfulness against stress, all for free available on the internet.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12906 on: June 04, 2019, 04:46:25 AM »
Yesterday from our garden we harvested cherries, gooseberries, blueberries, summer squash, kale, tomatoes, and carrots.  About $40 worth of produce.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12907 on: June 04, 2019, 01:48:19 PM »
Over the weekend I replaced the battery in my 2.5 year old cell phone, and will hopefully get a few more years out of it.  It was a PITA, and I had to go to a cell phone repair place that let me borrow a special tiny screw driver, but should be about $75/hour for my efforts.

Found an incorrect charge on my grocery receipt and had it corrected yesterday ($1.59).

Brought lunch to work, including tomato soup from tomatoes I grew last summer, and an egg cup from homegrown eggs, plus 1/2 of an 88c avocado.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12908 on: June 05, 2019, 10:33:47 PM »
Managed to eat for nearly free today. Breakfast was bulk-purchased fruit, lunch was unexpectedly paid for by my boss, and I ate free dinner for a work training. Walked to work and back even though it was humid and warm. Refilled my water bottle to hydrate.
Got on ThredUp to find some work wardrobe items I'm missing, and used up a very old credit to pay for part of it. I thought you weren't able to return items, but turns out you can! So I'm not out any money if the items don't work. They also have a 'Rescue' section where you can get a mystery box of a certain type of item for a set price. Denim by the pound, $50 for 40 baby items, etc. Stayed strong and only got the items on my list.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12909 on: June 06, 2019, 12:16:44 AM »
Hit three thrift stores looking for items to stage the flip house with. Found one fake hydrangea in a nice vase for $3. Passed on everything else. After an early dinner at home,  DH and I made a Home Depot run. Used a $25 off coupon.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12910 on: June 06, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »
read this article and i was like, ' yeah we do this already.'
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/06/clean-eating-guide-dietician-what-is-it-how-to

real food cooked by us is  close to our #1 prioirity. it will save us probably,  time , $ and headache of being sickly

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12911 on: June 06, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
Ate food from the freezer the whole day. Will have lunch from the freezer tomorrow too. Some containers are unmarked so it's a surprise what we're getting. Thankfully we are both good cooks so it's never disappointing.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12912 on: June 06, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »
Picked mulberries from trees in my neighborhood. Make oatmeal with them and gloried in some free food. Made plan to hit the same trees every few days to catch the ripe ones. They are *loaded* with berries in various stages of ripeness, so should have a few more weeks of free snacks and baking ingredients

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12913 on: June 06, 2019, 10:33:00 AM »
Bought groceries from LIDL. Sat with the kids beforehand and made out a shopping list using their circular to maximize “on sale” purchases. Kids were psyched as the house brand of root beer was on sale. Paid for it all using a CC for travel points. Next stop: the library.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12914 on: June 06, 2019, 11:00:06 AM »
I used a leftover piece of bread and several self foraged ingredients in tonight's dinner.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #12915 on: June 06, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
I joined the "Too Good To Go" movement. This is an app that was developed in Denmark where grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants and hotels sell leftover food for a fraction of the sales price.
I just picked up a bag from the local bakery. It contained first-class salads, specialty breads, müesli, pies, cookies etc.. for USD 5.-. The original price was USD 27.-.
In addition, it prevents food waste.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12916 on: June 06, 2019, 11:25:08 AM »
I joined the "Too Good To Go" movement. This is an app that was developed in Denmark where grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants and hotels sell leftover food for a fraction of the sales price.
I just picked up a bag from the local bakery. It contained first-class salads, specialty breads, müesli, pies, cookies etc.. for USD 5.-. The original price was USD 27.-.
In addition, it prevents food waste.

That's brilliant.  I wonder if there's something similar in the US.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12917 on: June 06, 2019, 11:46:21 AM »
Stocked up on inexpensive options to take on our (not inexpensive) vacation to Hawaii in a couple of weeks. Managed to get the kind of protein bars I prefer for 1/2 off, which I'm assuming is closer to 75% off of Hawaii prices. Will help us avoid overpriced breakfasts out. Also picked up an inexpensive package of paper plates, so we can eat leftovers, etc in the room for lunches.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12918 on: June 06, 2019, 01:36:58 PM »
Stocked up on inexpensive options to take on our (not inexpensive) vacation to Hawaii in a couple of weeks. Managed to get the kind of protein bars I prefer for 1/2 off, which I'm assuming is closer to 75% off of Hawaii prices. Will help us avoid overpriced breakfasts out. Also picked up an inexpensive package of paper plates, so we can eat leftovers, etc in the room for lunches.

If you're a Costco member check to see if there is a Costco nearby your hotel. 
Fore example, IIRC there is a Costco near the Maui airport.  All the things your use to plus uniquely Hawaiian items (e.g., macadamia nuts, tiny bananas, etc.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12919 on: June 06, 2019, 01:41:26 PM »

If you're a Costco member check to see if there is a Costco nearby your hotel. 
Fore example, IIRC there is a Costco near the Maui airport.  All the things your use to plus uniquely Hawaiian items (e.g., macadamia nuts, tiny bananas, etc.)

Heck yes. Did this in Maui, no regrets.

Our savings tactics for our own Hawaii trip (packing now!) Used points for flights. AirBnB and Turo for lodging and car rental. Gonna stock up on some food and stuff at Costco when we land. Looks like we can avoid a checked bag and associated fees. Brother is taking care of our dog, so no boarding costs for her. Needed a new swimsuit and shorts (helloooo pregnant body), so got one item at a maternity consignment shop and hit an online 70% sale from Old Navy for the rest. Been using everything up in advance of leaving so we should have no food waste, minus a cucumber that got lost in the back of a drawer (gag).

FIRE_guy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12920 on: June 06, 2019, 11:18:42 PM »
Long time lurker. First time poster in this thread.

I saved money today by biking to work. Didn't drive... so no gas, depreciation, or parking. Didn't take transit... so no ticket to pay for.
The big disclaimer being that this is something I've done every single day for the last 3 years.

Tomorrow I'll have to dig a little deeper to find something a big more novel for my situation.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12921 on: June 07, 2019, 08:56:20 AM »
@Catbert & @Bracken_Joy - we already have a Costco list going, and actually booked the hotel/car combo with Costco! They have the best deals for what we need. Super jazzed. I also booked the flight using a companion fare on Alaska, which saves money. And, I have the Alaska credit card, so no checked bag fee. So, we're bringing our own wine as well in the suitcase.

@Bracken_Joy - have an amazing time!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12922 on: June 07, 2019, 12:15:45 PM »

I saved money today by biking to work. Didn't drive... so no gas, depreciation, or parking. Didn't take transit... so no ticket to pay for.
The big disclaimer being that this is something I've done every single day for the last 3 years.

Tomorrow I'll have to dig a little deeper to find something a big more novel for my situation.

Still, a smart thing to do.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12923 on: June 07, 2019, 06:02:04 PM »
Grocery shopping by bike, as usual.  One good discovery today was that, previously unbeknownst to us, they carry the 'right kind' of Lunchables that my kids eat at Sam's Club.  That little discovery should save us about $4 per week, or about $200/year. 

Yes, the better thing would be to stop feeding them Lunchables twice a week, but hopefully those of you with picky kids out there will understand. 

Also had my car smog-checked and paid for the registration.  This didn't save me money (aside from the fact that I was a bit uncertain my car would pass the smog check), but it did remind me of the money I'm paying to have a car that mostly just sits in the garage, even though it's old and barely insured.  I need to figure out if I can make the leap to get us down to a one-car family.  Most of the time it would be fine, though admittedly it would've been tough for about 5 weeks this year while my bike was out of commission.  Maybe that just means I need a second e-bike!  Oops, supposed to be saving money in this thread.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12924 on: June 07, 2019, 09:10:01 PM »
One of my horse's had a surgery (she's fine,  correcting a minor defect to prevent future problems) last week.  I raised my eyebrows a bit at the bill being higher than expected when I came to pick her up, so the secretary let me pay 80% of it, and left it for the vet surgeon to check over the next day.  I just got the bill for the balance in the mail and they knocked off almost $600 (about 20%)!

Made a delicious thom ka gai soup for dinner tonight with leftovers from Tuesday's roast chicken, and some random veggies.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12925 on: June 07, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »
Was actually in the car to go out to dinner when we decided to just go home. SO had eaten a huge lunch, and was only going out to be with me. He mentioned a frozen pizza in the freezer and some donuts his mom had brought by. I literally turned right at the next light and we came home. Dug out a bottle of bubbly and had pizza for dinner with donuts for dessert. Not at all healthy, but a fun splurge that didn't cost us anything that hadn't already been spent in the grocery budget! Saved at least $20.

FIRE_guy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12926 on: June 08, 2019, 03:36:20 AM »

Smart, yet not too difficult in Göteborg ;)
Still, a smart thing to do.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12927 on: June 08, 2019, 11:03:11 AM »
@okcisok - love the dinner combo! Sounds like a perfect alternative.

For me, continuing to do extensive yard work that we otherwise would have paid someone to do. (I'm on sabbatical through the summer.) Today I took down a fence using bolt cutters. I looked it up on YouTube...pretty empowering to do something for yourself you've never done before!

Yesterday, sold a restaurant gift card we'd received as a gift. It's not something we'd normally use, and in order to use the gift card, we'd need to throw in at least another $35 or so. Now I have $20 to use for Subway or something on our road trip.

Used our electric car for all of our errands.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12928 on: June 08, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
Yesterday I filled up the almost empty petrol tank for a lowish price, the lowest since a couple of weeks. I did this before my hiking trip. On the way back, the prices had been changed and were a lot higher. And I had fallen and wasn't really good at getting in and out of the car. So it was planned at a good time.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #12929 on: June 09, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »
Baby shower today for the mother in a refugee family. Went to Macy's and checked out the clearance section- got a variety of clothes in sizes 6 months to 2T for $26. Used gift bag I already had. I had a baby card- but it said congratulations on new arrival- but baby is not here yet- so just cut off the text part of the card and wrote my own greeting on the back.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12930 on: June 09, 2019, 07:08:34 PM »
Saved the laces from an old pair of running shoes I was throwing out, and put them in another pair of shoes with frayed laces.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12931 on: June 09, 2019, 07:13:58 PM »
Managed to work several slightly wilting veggies into tonight’s dinner, along with the last of the leftover rice from Friday and the end of a block of cheese. I hate wasting food, so that was satisfying.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12932 on: June 09, 2019, 08:56:30 PM »
Binge-watched Til Debt Do Us Part instead of going out to spend money. Using existing craft supplies to bulk up my gift stash. Baked muffins from a failed coconut soup that I put in the freezer a few months ago, instead of tossing. They're still in the oven, so the I don't know how they taste. But the batter (before I added the egg) was *delicious*!
Read library books and picked up aluminum cans on my daily walks.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12933 on: June 09, 2019, 10:09:39 PM »

Don't want to harsh on a new guy, but this is the MMM Forum, after all.  Your vehicle depreciated every single day you own it, whether you drive it or not. Sure, more mileage hastens depreciation, but the number it's costing you to own is not zero.

And beyond that not-a-facepunch, welcome!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12934 on: June 10, 2019, 05:06:44 AM »
Had a bunch of carrots, like 4 bags worth in the fridge in various stages of decomp. I cut off all the uglies and the ends and outer skin cut into 1 inch hunks and decided I was going to have glazed carrots. I put in some butter, a little brown sugar and a few shakes of cinnamon. Let it cook on high in slow cooker for maybe 3 hours. They were soft at that point and smelled good. Then I changed my mind and decided to make soup out of it. Added some chopped onion and ginger root. I poured in some chicken broth and let it cook all night on low in slow cooker. I just tasted the broth and it tastes gorgeous! I will blend it all up in the Vita Mix when it cools! All of these carrots almost made it to the garbage can. Now, I think I have a delicious soup!

I have some home made pumpernickel bread in the refrig that is getting old. I hate to waste it so maybe I will make croutons out of it. It's around half a loaf.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12935 on: June 10, 2019, 06:19:58 AM »
-Used a coupon for $3 off of purchases I was going to make anyway. The key part - remembered to use the coupon!
-Bought the wrong kind of buns for burgers (I misunderstood & thought my husband was making sliders). The kids wanted "full sized" buns to go with their burgers. Made them work anyway, & doctored up the burgers so everyone was satisfied, vs running to the store again.
-Remembered to register for our store's local "double points over the weekend" promotion that was going on, which will mean I'll earn $1-2 back at the end of the month
-Worked in the yard again in the morning (with my crew up 12 & 13 year olds) before it got super hot yesterday. We will likely need to hire help for part of the work, so doing as much as we can by ourselves.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12936 on: June 10, 2019, 07:10:17 AM »
Had a bunch of carrots, like 4 bags worth in the fridge in various stages of decomp. I cut off all the uglies and the ends and outer skin cut into 1 inch hunks and decided I was going to have glazed carrots. I put in some butter, a little brown sugar and a few shakes of cinnamon. Let it cook on high in slow cooker for maybe 3 hours. They were soft at that point and smelled good. Then I changed my mind and decided to make soup out of it. Added some chopped onion and ginger root. I poured in some chicken broth and let it cook all night on low in slow cooker. I just tasted the broth and it tastes gorgeous! I will blend it all up in the Vita Mix when it cools! All of these carrots almost made it to the garbage can. Now, I think I have a delicious soup!

I have some home made pumpernickel bread in the refrig that is getting old. I hate to waste it so maybe I will make croutons out of it. It's around half a loaf.

Update: Just blended the carrots and broth up and it was the perfect thickness and tastes wonderful! So simple and easy to make. Preparing the carrots was kind of a pain but end result was great!

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12937 on: June 10, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »
did the work of exterminator when we saw a bedbug in our place.
17 hours  of running. 

but you know those extermiators dont work unless you get the place totally clean and decluttered

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12938 on: June 10, 2019, 12:33:26 PM »
-Saved $219 by increasing our homeowners insurance deductible from $1,000 to $5,000

Read several online articles about ways to save money Saturday, and the above reminded me I needed to make that adjustment.  Next I'll look on Gazelle dot com to research selling my old cell phones.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12939 on: June 10, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »
Hardware store had a 25% discount on everything today, so I bought several things we need for our latest DIY project.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12940 on: June 10, 2019, 04:15:36 PM »

Update: Just blended the carrots and broth up and it was the perfect thickness and tastes wonderful! So simple and easy to make. Preparing the carrots was kind of a pain but end result was great!

Great going! I'd be jealous if I didn't have a soup of my own going. I poked around in the freezer and found some leftover ham from Easter.  My friend sent me a  Rancho Gordo sampler of beans, so I grabbed a bag and put together a ham and bean soup out of some odds and ends, including kale that we got in our Misfits box, and some dubious looking carrots that (like yours) cleaned up fine.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #12941 on: June 10, 2019, 04:58:01 PM »
About 18 months ago my 2000 Nissan truck was t-boned on the passenger side. I only had liability insurance on it. The fault was disputed and there were no witnesses so it didn't get repaired. I continued to drive it but only having one door was becoming a major inconvenience.  I bought a new/used van a year ago but kept the truck to haul things if I ever needed to.

Well today I sold it for $1k. I only used it a few times over the year but had to pay insurance registration and inspection. I can rent a trailer for less than that if I need to.

I'd still be driving it today if it hadn't been wrecked. It was still running great with 190k miles. I'll miss it.

The $1k is headed for a CD to go to next years IRA.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12942 on: June 10, 2019, 06:10:08 PM »
Update on the failed coconut soup-turned muffins--delicious! Slathered them with peanut butter for a semi-healthy dinner. Made several meals and snacks out of something in pre-MMM days I would've thrown away.
Made a fruit fly trap out of a water glass and some apple cider vinegar.
Ate a free breakfast and lunch at work.
Made a 32 load jug of laundry detergent last 90 days.
Going to use more of my craft stash to make some more gifts.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12943 on: June 11, 2019, 04:38:08 AM »

Great going! I'd be jealous if I didn't have a soup of my own going. I poked around in the freezer and found some leftover ham from Easter.  My friend sent me a  Rancho Gordo sampler of beans, so I grabbed a bag and put together a ham and bean soup out of some odds and ends, including kale that we got in our Misfits box, and some dubious looking carrots that (like yours) cleaned up fine.

Poundwise, I also get misfits boxes! I get the big one every two weeks and it has been working out pretty good. I have been making things I have never had before. Made cauliflower/turnip mash this week and they were so good! Have also been making Tuscan kale Caesar slaw. I am not a big fan of so many pears they send. They seem to send a lot of apples too and I did make applesauce out of them. Mango is something I never bought before and it was challenging cutting it open. Another thing I never bought before is English cukes. They are so good! I also joined a CSA and my first basket of veggies is this Thursday! I hope I don't have an overload.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12944 on: June 11, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »
another cost that may help in the long run:
bought an extra boxspring cover and mattress cover of high quality.  we might put two layers of them on to not have to deal with bedbugs in future.

BBs take so much time to eradicate, it'll be worth it to not have to do that work

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12945 on: June 11, 2019, 09:22:47 AM »
My son had an oral surgery appointment scheduled for this morning. He woke me up to tell me that the tooth was out. It was already loose, so not shocked, but I'm guessing he wiggled quite a bit to get it all the way out. Unintentional on my part, but saves $170 of dental work.

FIRE_guy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12946 on: June 11, 2019, 09:29:20 AM »

Don't want to harsh on a new guy, but this is the MMM Forum, after all.  Your vehicle depreciated every single day you own it, whether you drive it or not. Sure, more mileage hastens depreciation, but the number it's costing you to own is not zero.

And beyond that not-a-facepunch, welcome!

Not quite - I don't own a car. I'm a MMM vet after all ;)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12947 on: June 11, 2019, 10:29:56 AM »
Poundwise, I also get misfits boxes! I get the big one every two weeks and it has been working out pretty good. I have been making things I have never had before. Made cauliflower/turnip mash this week and they were so good! Have also been making Tuscan kale Caesar slaw. I am not a big fan of so many pears they send. They seem to send a lot of apples too and I did make applesauce out of them. Mango is something I never bought before and it was challenging cutting it open. Another thing I never bought before is English cukes. They are so good! I also joined a CSA and my first basket of veggies is this Thursday! I hope I don't have an overload.

@Roadrunner53 The pears and apples are the first to go in our box! (my little daughter loves them so I put them in a bowl, bam, gone!) I'm having an issue with the fancy watermelon turnips and black turnips though. Nobody likes them (I tried tossing slices with oil and salt, then roasting) so they end up going bad.

Mango is easier to peel if you make shallow longitudinal slits through the skin with the point of a paring knife. Then, just pull each section of skin down from a point.  Once it's peeled, you make two cuts on either side of the big seed to get some decent pieces, then trim round the edges.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12948 on: June 11, 2019, 11:00:59 AM »

@Roadrunner53 The pears and apples are the first to go in our box! (my little daughter loves them so I put them in a bowl, bam, gone!) I'm having an issue with the fancy watermelon turnips and black turnips though. Nobody likes them (I tried tossing slices with oil and salt, then roasting) so they end up going bad.

Mango is easier to peel if you make shallow longitudinal slits through the skin with the point of a paring knife. Then, just pull each section of skin down from a point.  Once it's peeled, you make two cuts on either side of the big seed to get some decent pieces, then trim round the edges.

I have not gotten watermelon turnips or black turnips...yet! I have gotten a lot of things I would never normally buy but it is fun! My box just arrived and the hub and I like to open it together to see what 'treasures' we will receive. Good tips on the mango! My hub is not a big fruit eater and I can't eat 20 pieces of fruit by myself! LOL! I do try to cut up some apples and put them on his plate. He will eat them that way. Right now I am cooking spaghetti squash from the last box. I try so hard to use up all the veggies before the next box arrives. It is just the two of us and sometimes it is challenging! Glad your kid likes the fruit! Good for lunches!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12949 on: June 11, 2019, 01:33:16 PM »
Did some tax-loss harvesting.  $300 in 'free' money, courtesy of the federal and state governments. 

Yes, I know that I could eventually have to pay some of that back in capital gains tax, but my intention is to have a 0% capital gains tax rate down the road.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!